Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Chris Harris Jr wrote a thing for The Players Tribune that breaks down covering elite receivers: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/top-5-nfl-receivers-chris-harris-jr/

I posted this yesterday but y'all ignored it in favor of arguing over Ryan Tannehill. It's a cool link, and you should click it

Does not include Julio Jones, is not a good list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
That's bc Talib was responsible for him in that game you petulant baby

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Every Tannehill dropback against the Titans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb2BbZsCsm4

- Pass blocking not as bad as advertised. Yes, they blew it completely sometimes. Other times Tannehill has a pocket and then panics and steps the wrong way into a sack. He is pretty lousy at sensing pressure. There were plays where a sack could have easily been avoided if he just stepped up in the pocket instead of being completely oblivious.

- Tannehill exacerbates bad pass blocking with slow reads and a fairly slow release.

- Throws a lot of check downs early in the game even when not under pressure.

- Doesn't usually throw it where receiver can make a play on the ball, which he needs to do because...

- Receivers are not physical enough, not fighting for balls, also dropping easy catches.

- Christ how many plays that involve throwing to someone five yards behind the LOS do the Dolphins need to call???

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 13, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

That's bc Talib was responsible for him in that game you petulant baby

"Toughtest wide-outs I've faced that weren't the responsibility of the much better CB on my team"

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

:D

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Chilichimp posted:

"Toughtest wide-outs I've faced that weren't the responsibility of the much better CB on my team"

Talib and Harris are about equal in skill, and are also the only 2 good KU players in the NFL atm, it's pretty cool if they weren't playing for the loving Broncos

Nov 6, 2002

why would the lawyers be innocent?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Chilichimp posted:

More like "I refuse to read this cool, insightful article written by a player because it doesn't mention the one I like"

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

How incumbent is it on a quarterback to change protections? Is there a way I can blame Tannehill for the clear path sacks?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I think someone posted the transcript of this but the video is even better.

https://twitter.com/ItsToluNotTulu/status/786554860288241664

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Gynecolojustice posted:

Talib and Harris are about equal in skill, and are also the only 2 good KU players in the NFL atm, it's pretty cool if they weren't playing for the loving Broncos

Darrell Stuckey is really good

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

How incumbent is it on a quarterback to change protections? Is there a way I can blame Tannehill for the clear path sacks?

Tannehill is experienced enough that he's calling protections, but his linemen are so bad that they're loving up their assignments and getting beaten regardless when not

Cian Fahey wrote up a long article about the Dolphins-Titans game explaining why Adam Gase is defending Tannehill so strongly and thinks the linemen are trash and the receivers suck outside of Landry:

http://presnapreads.com/2016/10/13/adam-gase-ryan-tannehill-and-realistic-expectations/

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kalli posted:

Tannehill is experienced enough that he's calling protections, but his linemen are so bad that they're loving up their assignments and getting beaten regardless when not

Cian Fahey wrote up a long article about the Dolphins-Titans game explaining why Adam Gase is defending Tannehill so strongly and thinks the linemen are trash and the receivers suck outside of Landry:

http://presnapreads.com/2016/10/13/adam-gase-ryan-tannehill-and-realistic-expectations/

"WE WANT MOORE"

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Jonathan Fisk posted:

pretty much any qb above replacement level will perform well unpressured

if you're trotting out ryan lindley you're probably hosed but I'd assumed that was covered in my original language

nope

i feel like some goons dont understand how important qbs are and how rare their talents are, despite it being blindingly obvious. having one who is good at anything is actually pretty loving rare. if every qb was good without pressure they would not be valuable. outside of a like 10-15 good qbs everyone else is so bad they actively tank any chance you have at winning. and the good ones never move from their team so despite seeing a large number of qbs in the good category its still basically impossible to get one if you dont have one.

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 13, 2016

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

"WE WANT MOORE"

Make sure you read the sack that starts with "Tannehill adjusted to a 7 man protection, the Titans send 4, and a rusher gets free immediately"

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

a neat cape posted:

Darrell Stuckey is really good

Yeah he is, I liked him more than both Talib/Harris in college

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

wandler20 posted:

I wish we had both Bennetts. :allears:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/785128185809637376

Excited about tonight, and this weekend

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

wandler20 posted:

Buncha Bitches

Nov 6, 2002

And on the other side of the ball:

Mike Tanier posted:

The Dolphins have $38.6 million invested in their defensive line, the second-highest figure in the NFL behind the Jaguars, but surrendered 235 rushing yards and recorded zero sacks Sunday. Mario Williams and Ndamukong Suh combined for one measly tackle in a 30-17 loss to the Titans.

Meanwhile, Ryan Tannehill got sacked six times. No team spends more money to never solve a single problem than the Dolphins.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Grittybeard posted:

I wonder if this will ever swing back. I don't expect salaries to go down or anything but thinking more in relation to how much other positions make.

Like, do NFL front offices look at a guy like Brock Osweiler causing a bidding war and think "drat this poo poo is crazy, something needs to be reigned in" or do they think "just shows how few QBs there are in the world, better pay our mediocre dude a billion dollars?"

Well the hope was that Brock wasn't going to be mediocre obviously. And his salary is pretty in line with most starting QBs who have made it to their second contract. If it changes the approaches FOs make, it's less likely to be the amount and more likely to be being more wary about unproven guys

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ghost Dog posted:

nope

i feel like some goons dont understand how important qbs are and how rare their talents are, despite it being blindingly obvious. having one who is good at anything is actually pretty loving rare. if every qb was good without pressure they would not be valuable. outside of a like 10-15 good qbs everyone else is so bad they actively tank any chance you have at winning. and the good ones never move from their team so despite seeing a large number of qbs in the good category its still basically impossible to get one if you dont have one.

I disagree somewhat. The best quarterbacks can still be excellent even in terrible situations, like Rivers currently, Romo back before he had that incredible offensive line and Dez, Brees at times, and Cam last year are all good examples here. Losing with a great QB is losing with a stacked deck, mere competency should be carrying you to wild card appearances.

But beyond that, teams with good situations with excellent supporting casts and schemes that elevate talent. Dak Preskott should be a very limited rookie quarterback, but he's thriving because teams have to dedicate so much to still get run over by their offensive line. Dak might be some amazing diamond in the rough (he isn't), but you could probably replace him with 25 guys and be getting fairly similar results. The Cowboys have also neglected their defense in building the murderline that they probably won't win anything before they're no longer that, so that's a thing too.

But then you've got a large number of quarterbacks that are good enough to be successful in the right situation, but can't elevate talent or get ruined by bad coaching / team building. Guys like Flacco, Matt Ryan and Andy Dalton are probably the top of the curve here, with other guys like Bradford, Tannehill and plenty of others will look good at times, awful at others, but if you put a solid team around them, you should, more often then not, be pretty happy with what your offense is doing. The drop off from these guys to the Geno Smiths or god, the Ryan Lindleys of the world is enormous, and if you have one of these guys, you just have to hope your GM and coaching staff are competent enough to put pieces in place around them to succeed before other pieces break.

Or you don't, and spin your wheels for a decade while you joke about going 8-8.

Or I'm full of poo poo, there's that too

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

More like "I refuse to read this cool, insightful article written by a player because it doesn't mention the one I like"

Nah, I'm just trolling. I'm not reading the article because at the moment, I'm doing other things.

Also, gently caress CH, Jr for not saying Julio is #1.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

fsif posted:

It's incumbent on them if their center is a rookie or not very good. Neither of which describe Pouncey.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kalli posted:

But beyond that, teams with good situations with excellent supporting casts and schemes that elevate talent. Dak Preskott should be a very limited rookie quarterback, but he's thriving because teams have to dedicate so much to still get run over by their offensive line. Dak might be some amazing diamond in the rough (he isn't), but you could probably replace him with 25 guys and be getting fairly similar results. The Cowboys have also neglected their defense in building the murderline that they probably won't win anything before they're no longer that, so that's a thing too.

Or I'm full of poo poo, there's that too

You're definitely full of poo poo, given that 4 different QBs were all total loving garbage behind the same line last year

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

quote:

Jaguars against Packers: 26 for 48, 1.85 ypc
Jaguars against others: 61 for 253, 4.15 ypc

Vikings against Packers: 22 for 30, 1.36 ypc
Vikings against others: 122 for 323, 2.65 ypc

Lions against Packers: 23 for 50, 2.17 ypc
Lions against others: 92 for 399, 4.34 ypc

Giants against Packers: 15 for 43, 2.87 ypc
Giants against others: 95 for 375, 3.95 ypc

This weekend's match will be real interesting to watch. Bryant might be out and even if he's in who knows how effective he'll be in the first game back from injury. So it's going to be a lot of Elliott and the Dallas OL against the Packers front seven.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TheChirurgeon posted:

You're definitely full of poo poo, given that 4 different QBs were all total loving garbage behind the same line last year

A broken Matt Cassel, Brandon Weeden and Kellen Moore.

Sorry I didn't list them by name, but that's basically between the Geno Smith and Ryan Lindley tier of quarterback garbage.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Kalli posted:

I thought it was weird they let Rishard Matthews walk, he seemed pretty good

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
NC-17 how much of your day do you dedicate you googling news about Miami?

Frankly I wish it was Miamis QB that was the real problem but instead it's literally 6 other positions. Great. We're screwed for so many years to come

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kalli posted:

Sorry I didn't list them by name, but that's basically between the Geno Smith and Ryan Lindley tier of quarterback garbage.

Those guys are all better than Geno Smith or Ryan Lindley and there was a point at which replacing Brady with Cassel got a team 10 wins.

e: I'm not saying that Prescott is the next Brees or anything, but he's definitely above replacement level. Simply having a great offensive line doesn't guarantee good decision-making, pocket presence, or performance. A large number of sacks are the fault of the Quarterback and/or the scheme

e2: Tannehill is bad, and his line sucks. It can be both

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 13, 2016

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Also how is Martellus Bennet surviving inside Belichick's environment?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kalli posted:

Weeden defeated the Colts in Indy last year :colbert:

Also Dak passes the most important test: the eyeball test

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
The uniforms tonight are going to be beautiful, the helmets will be lovely

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Also how is Martellus Bennet surviving inside Belichick's environment?

Belicheck orders the ball inflator of the week into Bennetts office before every game, never to be heard from again

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
What's worse: the eternal frustration of not having a franchise QB, or the realization that you found one and he's being ruined by an incompetent team?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Amy Pole Her posted:

NC-17 how much of your day do you dedicate you googling news about Miami?

nc-17 owns and is a top 10 pats poster

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I mean Bennet seems kinda nuts but Belichick calls him Marty and talks about him like he's his nephew. It's weird.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

TheChirurgeon posted:

Simply having a great offensive line doesn't guarantee good decision-making, pocket presence, or performance. A large number of sacks are the fault of the Quarterback and/or the scheme

Yeah, a big reason the Packers OL consistently grades out well is because Rodgers is so drat elusive. They didn't give up any sacks against the Giants, and while that's partly because the Giants played conservatively on defense and partly because the line genuinely played well, it's also because Rodgers slipped out of the three or four times that the Giants actually made it past the line to the quarterback.

That's why it's weird to me, from my position as an overprivileged Packers fan :v: to see the Dolphins posters complain about their offensive line destroying Tannehill. The plays I've seen posted here, Tannehill just seems utterly immobile in the face of people flying through the air at him. Move around a little!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/786595419417608193

WELCOME TO (this very particular section of) HELL, MIAMI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Hey speaking of which, how has Vernon been in NY?

• Locked thread