Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hollywood is currently developing a Tetris trilogy. Also a Play-Doh movie.

It's really gotten to the point where they'll make a movie out of any brand or word people remember or have some sort of nostalgia for. I'm awaiting a pogs movie. Hey 90's kids remember pogs? Is that triggering enough nostalgia to see this movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Musicals are prime for a comeback.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

There's a Trolls movie coming out soon too.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Videogame stories are written by failed screenwriters.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The_Franz posted:

A bunch of Disney executives are now figuring out how to shoehorn $200 million of CG into a Dick Tracy remake.

Warren Beatty actually bought the rights to Dick Tracy way back in 1985 and made a deal with Disney to make the original 1990 film, he is obsessed with the character. He never gave up his dream of making a sequel and even fought a lawsuit against Tribune Media to keep the rights from 2004 until 2011. He was still talking about doing a sequel earlier this year.

There were tons of Dick Tracy movie serials and feature movies in the 1930s and 40s, I guess Hollywood has never quite given up the character.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

a bone to pick posted:

Videogame stories are written by failed screenwriters.

I heard that if you turn off your monitor and say this three times Uwe Boll will appear and punch you in the face

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh and there's an emoji movie coming out August 2017. And of course the poop emoji is going to feature.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
man I'll sure be happy to ignore the heck out of that flop

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Oh and there's an emoji movie coming out August 2017. And of course the poop emoji is going to feature.

I hope they have a 9/11 recreation like I always make with emojis

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

I don't know who any of these emoji's are so they done hosed up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The 'hacker chick' emoji character is such a blatant rip off of the hacker chick Lego movie character

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cant wait for the wise cracking black poop emoji.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

I would rather watch a movie about money being shoveled into a furnace

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

hey they're still making new Best of the Worst level films in our modern era

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

No it's idiots who like them. People who like to be spoon-fed 12 minutes of action every 6 minutes with color-coded characters. Characters whose development is equivalent to a six-page carboard book for toddlers where the goose and the rooster learn at the end that teamwork is good!

It's so weird how my coworker is such a smart and organized lady, but she completely eats up trashy movies like Pixels and thinks movies like Jack & Jill are hilarious. She's also seems to hate the more nerdy and intellectually stimulating movies. She's definitely Hollywood's target audience, and my nerd brain can't deal with it.

They shoulda stuck with these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbQ1nIs864U

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 13, 2016

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Double, my bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

a bone to pick posted:

Everything with his parents being spies is part of the clone saga so I assume they were building up to that or the ultimate spider-man story-line of his dad creating the Venom symbiote, which is just as bad.

They were definitely going for the ultimate spider-man thing where Richard Parker's research casts a long shadow over the story but did it very poorly.

Slanderer posted:

actually those movies were good and cool

Nah.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Predator is the superior film but Commando is probably the best "late at night on basic cable" action movie in history. Well, tossup with Roadhouse.

A point in Commando's favor: its theme tune, which plays constantly throughout the film, is 50% "a single guy plinking out a calypso tune on a steel drum" and 50% "that particular sort of lazy saxophone melody that infected pop music for a while in the 80s" and its just such a ridiculous counterpoint to what's happening in the film

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwhcJiTfYA4

It's like an upbeat version of the X-COM geoscape theme.

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Mr. Jive posted:

I heard that if you turn off your monitor and say this three times Uwe Boll will appear and punch you in the face

Finally I can have something in common with Lowtax.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

THE BAR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwhcJiTfYA4

It's like an upbeat version of the X-COM geoscape theme.

if the theme music tried to be way more serious and gritty and dramatic I don't think the film would be anywhere near as fun as it is with a theme tune this snappy

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HIJK posted:

You're not wrong though personally I think the blandness is more attributable to Hollywood's stranglehold on any hint of creativity. It would be easy to flesh these characters out into distinct figures but they won't because Hollywood doesn't know how to do that anymore.

This army of identical retards in spandex is a veritable gallery of creativity, and it's only because of the studio bigwigs that we don't get to see the full artistic potential of these Happy Meal toys.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I've never seen a thread stray so far off it's topic of Jay and his cum

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

This army of identical retards in spandex is a veritable gallery of creativity, and it's only because of the studio bigwigs that we don't get to see the full artistic potential of these Happy Meal toys.

Weird how it takes Europeans (you're from Bulgaria right?) to rile on Superhero crap.

And what I mean is not weird at all.

And what I mean is you other not-european guys are so deep down in the shithole you forgot what life is on the outside.

Johntalouette
Oct 30, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

It's really gotten to the point where they'll make a movie out of any brand or word people remember or have some sort of nostalgia for. I'm awaiting a pogs movie. Hey 90's kids remember pogs? Is that triggering enough nostalgia to see this movie?

I, too, await a pawgs movie.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC9abcLLQpI

Heres a new Star War trailer.
I don't know what it is in particular but I'm just not feeling this film. The Dirty Dozen in a star wars sounds like fun. Maybe it's like Mike and Jay were saying, its another film with a Death Star and at this point we've seen enough of those giant golf balls.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

it's gonna be weird having a derivative star wars movie. like the core is space wizard finding their way/triumphing over the dark-side. so I'm not feeling the whole "spunky smuggler finds.... her.... way.... and triumphs but still loses in the big picture because this is a prequel?"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
they're making a john wick 2 so I still have hope for hollywood

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
gently caress my rear end, another josh re:view. not even gonna link it.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Saw this on my feed today, congrats on the win Rich!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I liked Finn because he didn't feel like a fanfiction rewrite of an existing character. It's nice to see a black male lead who is an unabashed dork and not really particularly great at anything, but he's got his heart in the right place.

The movie felt like a really simple script, but if they don't gently caress up Episode 8, I think there's plenty of neat directions they could take it. I like not knowing where the characters will go, precisely--I feel like Finn will become a sort of dashing rogue in the next one, Poe will be a bit more of a hardened fighter pilot, the two team-up often, and Rey will become more mysterious and aloof as she unlocks her force powers.

Rey becoming a villain under Luke's tutelage would suck though, it basically would show that Luke was never supposed to take up the mantle of Jedi Master because every one of his students went evil. UNLESS they show he had a bunch of students who are all Jedi in various corners of the galaxy, which would also be cool.

I'm glad to have Star Wars' universe "alive" again for lack of a better term, but it will suck if it just becomes a soulless marketing exercise. I want more video games, good video games, that let me explore new corners of the galaxy and meet weird aliens and not be written by Bioware.

EDIT: what the gently caress happened to my avatar

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh boy, Josh talking about a movie I've never heard of

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
What kind of cheese do you think Josh smells like? I'm thinking Blue Cheese or some aged Swiss.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Jive posted:

Saw this on my feed today, congrats on the win Rich!

:gary:

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

gonna watch the vid later but i remeber watching the gate as a kid and being scared. i hope josh just sits there quietly and lets only jay talk

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

steinrokkan posted:

Yes except unironically. :)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Who's this beard guy? He's ok, I guess.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

You and I and everyone else in this thread are the beard guy.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Baronjutter posted:

Go watch ever single thing on their channel in chronological order and don't come back until you have.

reignofevil posted:

You and I and everyone else in this thread are the beard guy.

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
children's movies were loving brutal back in the 80s

• Locked thread