Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

*Darth Vader appears on screen*

That's Darth Vader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

korusan posted:

This looks a hell of a lot more interesting than the prequels or TFA, and I say this as someone who loved the latter. It dawned on me while watching that this might be the first Star Wars with no lightsabers - something twelve year old me would obsess and lament over for "breaking trend", but quite honestly nowadays I'm glad. Break that mold or we're just gonna keep getting the same three movies over and over until we're all dead (and it'll continue after that).

No lightsabers, you say? :haw:

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

So hyped

Serf
May 5, 2011

Do we honestly think Vader isn't gonna pull out his lightsaber and cut a fool at some point?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Serf posted:

Do we honestly think Vader isn't gonna pull out his lightsaber and cut a fool at some point?

If the last 15 minutes isn't a smorgasbord of Vader choking and carving the entire team up in variously gruesome ways, I'll be surprised.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Over/under on number of survivors from Jyn's team is 1.5.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Zoran posted:

Hopefully Donnie Yen will at least be given a badass death scene. I can already tell he's going to be awesome in this, I love his body language as he's about to fire that bowcaster.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

korusan posted:

This looks a hell of a lot more interesting than the prequels or TFA, and I say this as someone who loved the latter. It dawned on me while watching that this might be the first Star Wars with no lightsabers - something twelve year old me would obsess and lament over for "breaking trend", but quite honestly nowadays I'm glad. Break that mold or we're just gonna keep getting the same three movies over and over until we're all dead (and it'll continue after that).

Oh I bet there will be a Vader saber loving up some poo poo.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I can't see myself being as disappointed with this as I was The Force Awakens.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

drat this looks amazing - the action from the ground just brings so much menace to what I considered cannon fodder vehicles. Pretty visceral.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
That whole trailer is basically Gareth Edwards flipping the bird to Abrams and giving him a lesson on how movies can actually be beautifully shot.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
My biggest issue with all of this...where the gently caress is Tarkin? He was on the bridge of one of the capital ships at the end of RotS overseeing the construction of the Death Star with Palps and Vader.....he is a huge part of ANH, where is he in R1????

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

MrBigglesworth posted:

My biggest issue with all of this...where the gently caress is Tarkin? He was on the bridge of one of the capital ships at the end of RotS overseeing the construction of the Death Star with Palps and Vader.....he is a huge part of ANH, where is he in R1????

There's a glimpse of him (presumably) in the sizzle reel trailer they released at the Star Wars Celebration in Europe.

How big a role he'll play in Rogue One - or even if he has dialogue - remains to be seen. If they can pull off a good acting facsimile of Peter Cushing, to the point that he's believable as Tarkin in both sound and appearance, I'd love a scene where he dresses down Krennic.

Edit: I also wonder if this shot from the new trailer at 1:21 could be him. There aren't a lot of Imperial officers who get to walk around without the standard issue officer cap.

Sith Happens fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 13, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MrBigglesworth posted:

Shortly before it he's still overseeing Imperial operations at the top level, and was last spotted transferring Grand Admiral Thrawn and the 7th fleet to the hunt for the Phoenix rebel cell, as a means of rooting out all the large rebel cells before they reach the stage of galaxy wide coordination.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
The new trailer was cool, but I'm just not feeling Felicity Jones. She's like the prettier version of :geno:.

Still wanna watch the movie and give her a chance, though.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

MrBigglesworth posted:

He'll take over after Vader fucks Kennick's poo poo up for letting the plans leak.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrBigglesworth posted:

He's going to be in there.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/aug/24/star-wars-rogue-one-to-resurrect-peter-cushing-via-cgi-despite-slipper-issues

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
:3:

Edit- Wait...:what:

quote:

“Cushing is a pivotal plot line as he was the one to create Darth Vader and there’s a whole back story that will come out.”

:what:

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 13, 2016

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wasn't this discredited forever ago?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yes, it's dumb bullshit.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

That's not to say Peter Cushing is undeserving of the Tupac treatment...

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I agree. I think there's a strong chance we could get a Tarkin CGI replica. That article is completely ridiculous however.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That momentary shot of a fallen Jedi statue has made me realize I want an Indiana jones movie but in the Star Wars universe.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

That momentary shot of a fallen Jedi statue has made me realize I want an Indiana jones movie but in the Star Wars universe.

You got one, its called Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
That trailer got me a lot more interested than I was before. I don't care about the story or its desire to go back to the OT well, but the first time we're seeing the stuff from the OT actually looking good for once has my interest.

ISDs dominating the skyline and not just models? People walking near AT-AT walkers that aren't stop motion? Space battles of a complexity and detail borrowing from the prequels? Sign me the gently caress up.

The whole paucity-of-lightsaber-combat (Vader is bound to be the only one who uses one, and he's in a metal suit, so it's bound to be klunky ANH style poo poo) is going to suck, though. Star Wars without lightsabers is like the terrible early parts of KOTOR.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's really only like a total of 15 minutes of good lightsaber action(Throne Room + Duel of the Fates) in all 7 movies, so I've never really been concerned about that.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I would not count Gareth Edwards out when it comes to delivering on a fight scene.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Serf posted:

I really hope Vader is a Jason like presence to the heroes and slowly takes them down throughout the movie.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Spacebump posted:

I really hope Vader is a Jason like presence to the heroes and slowly takes them down throughout the movie.

I found the soundtrack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un8FAjXWOBY

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I would totally buy it if Tarkin is just the Emperor's mouthpiece, and doesn't show up. Known more for giving speeches and being a face to a regime. The real dirty work is done by Vader and/or this new director toad.

Think back to ANH: What did he do, really, but sit at a conference table and watch a big screen?

Maybe he's just Palpatine's version of Goebbels.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Spacebump posted:

This was my exact pitch for a Star Wars horror movie featuring Boba Fett as the monster and a gang of criminals as the protagonists.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

That trailer got me a lot more interested than I was before. I don't care about the story or its desire to go back to the OT well, but the first time we're seeing the stuff from the OT actually looking good for once has my interest.

ISDs dominating the skyline and not just models? People walking near AT-AT walkers that aren't stop motion? Space battles of a complexity and detail borrowing from the prequels? Sign me the gently caress up.

The whole paucity-of-lightsaber-combat (Vader is bound to be the only one who uses one, and he's in a metal suit, so it's bound to be klunky ANH style poo poo) is going to suck, though. Star Wars without lightsabers is like the terrible early parts of KOTOR.

You're just not excited about this movie because you're not growing up with it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

ufarn posted:

I would not count Gareth Edwards out when it comes to delivering on a fight scene.

Vader will ignite the saber midway through, advance on a group of rebels, and it will cut away to some guards playing space chess while the massacre occurs on a small monitor behind them.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Hot take: all the Star Wars are good. I think it'll be cool to have a Star Wars movie focused on the Star War part.

Hot take 2: Jyn is Rey's mom, book it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Electromax posted:

Vader will ignite the saber midway through, advance on a group of rebels, and it will cut away to some guards playing space chess while the massacre occurs on a small monitor behind them.

That sounds funny and cool.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Zoran posted:

Hot take: all the Star Wars are good. I think it'll be cool to have a Star Wars movie focused on the Star War part.

Hot take 2: Jyn is Rey's mom, book it

Isn't Rey supposed to be 18 or 19 in TFA?

This takes place 40-some years before that movie. Jyn Erso would be, like, 60 when she had Rey.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Gonz posted:

This takes place 40-some years before that movie. Jyn Erso would be, like, 60 when she had Rey.

I think this theory relies on Jyn surviving Rogue One and I just don't see that happening.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

You're just not excited about this movie because you're not growing up with it.

That's part of it, no doubt. I grew up with OT stuff. Seeing stuff that happens five minutes before the OT starts doesn't really grab me.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Serf posted:

I think this theory relies on Jyn surviving Rogue One and I just don't see that happening.

Yeah, I agree. I'm fairly positive that sans Mon Mothma and a few other higher-ups, everyone is going to be deader than dead by the end of this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Gonz posted:

Rey was born 15 years after this movie and ANH (which are presumably separated by a matter of weeks at most). We don't know how old Jyn is supposed to be, but if the character is in her early-to-mid twenties, that's a perfectly reasonable timeline.

Serf posted:

Zoran posted:

There's a reason why I put it at 1.5 and not 0.5. :ssh:

• Locked thread