Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Gynecolojustice posted:

The uniforms tonight are going to be beautiful, the helmets will be lovely

Yellow face masks :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

Hey speaking of which, how has Vernon been in NY?

All signs point to: you made out letting him walk.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

nc-17 owns and is a top 10 pats poster

It's honestly a huge time saver. He protects me from FinHeaven

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

What's worse: the eternal frustration of not having a franchise QB, or the realization that you found one and he's being ruined by an incompetent team?
At this point I'm definitely gonna say the former. False hope is still something. Certainly more than "starting quarterback Zach Mettenberger". Maybe the crushing depression sets in after a few years.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
The Fiedler Dolphins were rather fun. Certainly easier to watch than the current shower.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I feel like the entire franchise changed when Marino lost the playoff game to the Jags. That's the moment where I stopped being happy.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Chichevache posted:

What's worse: the eternal frustration of not having a franchise QB, or the realization that you found one and he's being ruined by an incompetent team?

Assuming the team lacking a franchise QB is not paying the playoffs as well, I'd go with option #2.

I only base this on being a Mariners fan, and having so much star talent that would get squandered every single year. A boring, incompetent team with no star power won't inspire too much passion in you.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

fan of the browns posted:

Ugh. gently caress the Browns. Now how can I lord my moral superiority over Steelers fans?

I'm afraid I'll turn into Parm.

Wait, what did they do now? Besides having a predictably brownsy season.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ehud posted:

I feel like the entire franchise changed when Marino lost the playoff game to the Jags. That's the moment where I stopped being happy.

i loved them challenging a play when they were down like 35 in the first quarter.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

yup this will decide whether he gets a 4 or only a 3 -year extension

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TheChirurgeon posted:

Those guys are all better than Geno Smith or Ryan Lindley and there was a point at which replacing Brady with Cassel got a team 10 wins.

e: I'm not saying that Prescott is the next Brees or anything, but he's definitely above replacement level. Simply having a great offensive line doesn't guarantee good decision-making, pocket presence, or performance. A large number of sacks are the fault of the Quarterback and/or the scheme

e2: Tannehill is bad, and his line sucks. It can be both

I think Dak is above replacement level, but I also think there's 25 guys you could put in that situation and have similar results with that offense even if they make a few dumb throws because they'll also be able to make more complicated reads then what's being asked of 1 month in rookie Dak. You have to go a deeper then 25 QB's before you're hitting Geno Smith but I'd rather sign an injured Charlie Whitehurst then start Geno. Basically, I'm saying that if Stephen was asleep at the switch and Jerry had managed to get away and trade something dumb for Cutler or Mariota or Cousins or Flacco (to pick 4 random guys between the like 10th and 25th best QB's) that they'd probably have similar success to what Dak is doing right now, at least in my humble opinion. Stat wise, Dak is killing it right now, but I bet if he was on the Titans right now, he'd be considered hot garbage.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Speaking about the Dolphins, are the Dolphins fans now only watching the Vikings games, hoping they lose so they can have their one yearly celebration when there is no more undefeated team left?

Edit: Oh I got a new avatar. What is that KC image about?

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 13, 2016

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chichevache posted:

THE LATTER

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

No one is going undefeated this year

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

GaussianCopula posted:

Speaking about the Dolphins, are the Dolphins fans now only watching the Vikings games, hoping they lose so they can have their one yearly celebration when there is no more undefeated team left?

Edit: Oh I got a new avatar. What is that KC image about?

Was that not when KC butt hosed the pats in the 2014/15 season?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

CyberPingu posted:

Was that not when KC butt hosed the pats in the 2014/15 season?

The stinging loss which gave the team the moral boost to win the Super Bowl?

But I suspect it's more about the 2008 season.

Ehud posted:

Does it make you sad that the greatest achievement/last Super Bowl win of your team happened when Nixon was president?

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 13, 2016

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Ehud posted:

Brady can

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Guys I think GaussianCopula might be a bad poster.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Do all the fans and even some sportswriters chanting tor Matt Moore even watch football? If your linemen suck, your team probably will too. Basic fundamentals.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
That is Pollard you rubes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

That is Pollard you rubes.

Jonathan?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Andrew Luck needs to get out of Indy stat

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Raku posted:

Brady can

too bad he blew another chance at a perfect season by breaking rules and getting suspended :-/

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Eh, I dunno. The Jets have gone 40 years and 350+ draft picks since they last had a franchise quarterback. Meanwhile the other teams in their division have all had at least one (if not more) periods of sustained success thanks in part to a franchise QB. They might disagree.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Trying and failing to identify a franchise QB for over fifteen years is much worse than getting one and ruining him. Been there on both accounts.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So I watched that Bennett brothers E:60 and it was awesome.

Answered my own questions about Bennett fitting into New England. He said: "I came here and everything is part of a larger system. Belichick tells you everything he expects of you and what you need to do. That's a lot better than any other place I've played."

Also apparently Jason Witten and Jason Garrett are assholes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

GaussianCopula posted:

Does it make you sad that the greatest achievement/last Super Bowl win of your team happened when Nixon was president?

Does it make you sad that the greatest achievement in NFL history happened 30 years before your team was even relevant?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Chichevache posted:

Does it make you sad that the greatest achievement in NFL history happened 30 years before your team was even relevant?

I would disagree with that assessment. The greatest achievement is clearly the Patriots dynasty in the salary cap era.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I mean who disagrees with me about GC now?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Those guys are all better than Geno Smith or Ryan Lindley and there was a point at which replacing Brady with Cassel got a team 10 wins.

This may have been true of Cassel at one point but has not been true since at least 2012. At least compared to Geno.

Yeah I suppose if you put a gun to my head I'd choose him over Lindley let you shoot me.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Kalli posted:

I disagree somewhat. The best quarterbacks can still be excellent even in terrible situations, like Rivers currently, Romo back before he had that incredible offensive line and Dez, Brees at times, and Cam last year are all good examples here. Losing with a great QB is losing with a stacked deck, mere competency should be carrying you to wild card appearances.

But beyond that, teams with good situations with excellent supporting casts and schemes that elevate talent. Dak Preskott should be a very limited rookie quarterback, but he's thriving because teams have to dedicate so much to still get run over by their offensive line. Dak might be some amazing diamond in the rough (he isn't), but you could probably replace him with 25 guys and be getting fairly similar results. The Cowboys have also neglected their defense in building the murderline that they probably won't win anything before they're no longer that, so that's a thing too.

But then you've got a large number of quarterbacks that are good enough to be successful in the right situation, but can't elevate talent or get ruined by bad coaching / team building. Guys like Flacco, Matt Ryan and Andy Dalton are probably the top of the curve here, with other guys like Bradford, Tannehill and plenty of others will look good at times, awful at others, but if you put a solid team around them, you should, more often then not, be pretty happy with what your offense is doing. The drop off from these guys to the Geno Smiths or god, the Ryan Lindleys of the world is enormous, and if you have one of these guys, you just have to hope your GM and coaching staff are competent enough to put pieces in place around them to succeed before other pieces break.

Or you don't, and spin your wheels for a decade while you joke about going 8-8.

Or I'm full of poo poo, there's that too

i disagree that anyone would look good in daks situation, or well i disagree that anyone could look good in that situation for a long time. only good qbs are consistently good when given the chance, bad qbs stumble and get "figured out" or whatever like i imagine dak will be before this season is over. if dak plays like this for several seasons then yeah, hes actually just a good qb and not some dude who got plugged into a great situation.

or i guess what im trying to say the stupid truism of Everyone Looks Good Without Pressure is only true for some pretty small number of games. if you are like several years in, and your qb always looks good when he has a certain situation then hes just a good qb, or at least a qb with a good enough skill that elevates him above his peers and makes him worth building around. so a good qb. 90% of qbs are not that, and no matter how great their situation is they will start to fail cause its actually really loving hard to be a qb in the nfl even with a favorable situation.

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 13, 2016

Ralker
Sep 2, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Dog posted:

i disagree that anyone would look good in daks situation, or well i disagree that anyone could look good in that situation for a long time. only good qbs are consistently good when given the chance, bad qbs stumble and get "figured out" or whatever like i imagine dak will be before this season is over. if dak plays like this for several seasons then yeah, hes actually just a good qb and not some dude who got plugged into a great situation.

or i guess what im trying to say the stupid truism of Everyone Looks Good Without Pressure is only true for some pretty small number of games. if you are like several years in, and your qb always looks good when he has a certain situation then hes just a good qb, or at least a qb with a good enough skill that elevates him above his peers and makes him worth building around. so a good qb. 90% of qbs are not that, and no matter how great their situation is they will start to fail cause its actually really loving hard to be a qb in the nfl even with a favorable situation.

Just for clarification are you arguing for or against Joe Flacco's elite status?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

I would disagree with that assessment. The greatest achievement is clearly the Patriots dynasty in the salary cap era.

No, I'm pretty sure you think the greatest achievements were all before 1946

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the strongest opinion i ever gave on joe flacco was that he was good enough to win a superbowl if the ravens got lucky and im still really mad there was no pop dog was right thread

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ghost Dog posted:

the strongest opinion i ever gave on joe flacco was that he was good enough to win a superbowl if the ravens got lucky and im still really mad there was no pop dog was right thread

The ravens got lucky that Joe Flacco was the best QB in the NFL for a four game stretch.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Ghost Dog posted:

nope

i feel like some goons dont understand how important qbs are and how rare their talents are, despite it being blindingly obvious. having one who is good at anything is actually pretty loving rare. if every qb was good without pressure they would not be valuable. outside of a like 10-15 good qbs everyone else is so bad they actively tank any chance you have at winning. and the good ones never move from their team so despite seeing a large number of qbs in the good category its still basically impossible to get one if you dont have one.

The fact you think these things doesn't make them true

There was some football outsiders project a few years back that showed every starter in the league except for all time terrible guys (Skelton, Lindley, etc) would turn plays with positive DVOA unpressured

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Alaois posted:

No, I'm pretty sure you think the greatest achievements were all before 1946
lol

Ralker
Sep 2, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah in all this quarterback discussion it does seem like Flacco is the poster child for being able to win a lot of games with the right supporting cast. He doesn't seem like the level of quarterback who can make up for a lot of inadequacies by his team.

But I guess the real debate is the expectation of an average starting QB's abilities vs the actual play from the, say 16th best starting QB in the league today.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Amy Pole Her posted:

I mean who disagrees with me about GC now?

Like Miami's offensive line, no one cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Like Miami's offensive line, no one cares.

:drat:

• Locked thread