Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Boco_T posted:

I think it's the deck I've played the most in organized Modern and it's always been competitive. I'd guess my record is over 50/50 with it. Looking at the top decks on Goldfish, I'd guess the match-ups it has are:
Affinity - medium to good
Burn - medium
Infect - medium to good
Eldrazi - no idea, probably bad
Jund - good
Abzan - medium to bad?
Dredge - probably bad
Scapeshift - medium to bad

I mean the main thing is that it is never abysmal in almost any match, except Tron.

I also have never run Bitterblossom or Auriok Champion in any of my builds, and I haven't really got out to any events since I would have theoretically added Gideon because I was on Elves more recently.

EDIT: This looks like the last time I edited it to print a decklist, I bet you even have this copied from me on Deckbox, says I lasted updated in January 2016.

I have even more of this list :lol: And I do copy a ton of decks from goons, but I never copied this one. Thanks, maybe I'll give it a shot in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Star Man posted:

Skred Red.

If you want to improve your burn matchup, add Boros Reckoners. It shuts down their attacks and they cant afford to bolt it.

Against D+T, don't bother with artifact hate, just board out high-end and add your sudden shocks and reality hemorrages. Killing everything they ever play is a more reliable win condition than Sarkhan or whatever.

I would suggest cutting godo, wurmcoil, sword, and two sweepers for reckoners and another Chandra. Maybe with the lower mana curve you could cut a mind stone for a mizzium mortars or another roast or something. Also if you replace fallouts with Kozilek's Return, you have a maindeck answer to Master and maybe can open up some space in your sideboard.

Do not copy that list from Efro's article, it's total garbage. Look up Adonis2k and find his current deck if you want to copy something.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

C-Euro posted:

I have even more of this list :lol: And I do copy a ton of decks from goons, but I never copied this one. Thanks, maybe I'll give it a shot in the near future.

To jump in on the tokens talk, here's my list I've been using for a while to pretty decent success: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/404048#paper

Basically, you scoop to Dredge game 1 and mulligan aggressively into a Leyline. Tron's not that bad a matchup actually, at least from my experience....just gently caress that one guy at the Open who got a turn 3 Ugin on me (natural tron in opener, plus Gemstone Caverns and a redundant Mine to pitch to it...bastard).

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Anyone going to EE5 in baltimore this weekend?

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Things that happened in legacy tonight at my LGS:

- My tin fins opponent drew the whole deck except 5 cards, couldn't go off, moved to discard, I point at their Jin-Gitaxias "you draw 7 and lose".
- I cast Arcanis the Omnipotent twice (and attacked with it for 6 in one game).
-Survived a turn where I untapped with 1 life and a Sulfiric Vortex in play.

Greatest format.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 13, 2016

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Rogue0071 posted:

Things that happened in legacy tonight at my LGS:

- My tin fins opponent drew the whole deck except 5 cards, couldn't go off, moved to discard, I point at their Jin-Gitaxias "you draw 7 and lose".
- I cast Arcanis the Omnipotent twice (and attacked with it for 6 in one game).
-Survived a turn where I untapped with 1 life and a Sulfiric Vortex in play.

Greatest format.
What deck runs Arcanis?

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Archenteron posted:

What deck runs Arcanis?

Was running it as a 1-of over my third Jace in legend miracles purely for fun.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I 4-0'd a 20-person legacy tournament last night with sultai Opposition; I cribbed the list from the Bazaar of Moxen top-16 and made a few meta call changes. I beat infect twice, death and taxes, and UW stoneblade in the final round.

This deck is an absolute blast to pilot. My main point of comparison is Elves, since I've played that the most, and these are both decks which can in theory kill you with a T3 hoof, so they are similar in some ways. This is a lot less explosive, and resilient for almost entirely different reasons.

With Elves I am often in a situation where it's "draw X card and win, or probably just die". Elves has a lot of bullshit that you just don't want to topdeck. Because this deck is entirely cantrips and interaction, there aren't nearly as many feel-bad draws; about the only thing that sucks is drawing a second Opposition when you've already got one you can't play. (Drawing a second in general is fine because then you can just slam the first and not care if it eats a force).

Highlight of the night for me was probably the DnT matchup; they had a green splash, in game 1 they played a T2 Gaddock Teeg out of the main when I had 2 GSZ in hand and drew into a 3rd, so that was an absolute blowout. Game two I believe I got Opposition online pretty quickly, blew up his fire & ice, and then ground out a win over many turns. Game 3 we went to time, on turn 3 I got a 4-for-1 by kicking marsh casualties, and got in for lethal with some margin for error on the final turn of the game.

Anyway, if you are looking for something to troll people with that's reasonably competitive, it seems good. You can pretty convincingly pretend to be Jund, Elves or even Infect depending on what your opener is and what you're trying to bait. 3 different win conditions along with 6 main deck discard spells and 4 abrupt decay is also pretty obnoxious; my favorite keep of the night was G3 on the play against infect: thoughtseize, thoughtseize, cabal therapy, bayou, deathrite shaman, jitte, abrupt decay.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I 4-0'd a 20-person legacy tournament last night with sultai Opposition; I cribbed the list from the Bazaar of Moxen top-16 and made a few meta call changes. I beat infect twice, death and taxes, and UW stoneblade in the final round.

This deck is an absolute blast to pilot. My main point of comparison is Elves, since I've played that the most, and these are both decks which can in theory kill you with a T3 hoof, so they are similar in some ways. This is a lot less explosive, and resilient for almost entirely different reasons.

With Elves I am often in a situation where it's "draw X card and win, or probably just die". Elves has a lot of bullshit that you just don't want to topdeck. Because this deck is entirely cantrips and interaction, there aren't nearly as many feel-bad draws; about the only thing that sucks is drawing a second Opposition when you've already got one you can't play. (Drawing a second in general is fine because then you can just slam the first and not care if it eats a force).

Highlight of the night for me was probably the DnT matchup; they had a green splash, in game 1 they played a T2 Gaddock Teeg out of the main when I had 2 GSZ in hand and drew into a 3rd, so that was an absolute blowout. Game two I believe I got Opposition online pretty quickly, blew up his fire & ice, and then ground out a win over many turns. Game 3 we went to time, on turn 3 I got a 4-for-1 by kicking marsh casualties, and got in for lethal with some margin for error on the final turn of the game.

Anyway, if you are looking for something to troll people with that's reasonably competitive, it seems good. You can pretty convincingly pretend to be Jund, Elves or even Infect depending on what your opener is and what you're trying to bait. 3 different win conditions along with 6 main deck discard spells and 4 abrupt decay is also pretty obnoxious; my favorite keep of the night was G3 on the play against infect: thoughtseize, thoughtseize, cabal therapy, bayou, deathrite shaman, jitte, abrupt decay.

Was this at curio?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm considering finally moving off of Elves for that same reason. While I've always played green toolbox decks (first standard was Junk Reanimator before it got popular, same with Melira Pod for about 3 years until the ban, Junk Aristocrats....), I feel like lately I've been just having a lot of feelbad draws.

A lot of times I have a lot of options and a big decision tree. Do I go for the kill or play it safe and just hold up the ability to bounce my Reclamation Sage in case you slam Jitte? Do I try to draw one more 1-drop elf to keep going off with Glimpse, or do I fetch up a Shaman of the Pack for value and hope normal combat going wide is enough?

I can't decide if it's the meta, the deck, or just my usual lovely variance, but recently I've had a lot of games where I just whiff constantly or feel completely helpless and just hoping, like you said, to topdeck something very specific or lose. I'll try going off on 4 with double Glimpse and 2x 1-drops in hand, active DRS and Heritage Druid.....both 1-drops draw me 2 lands each and I'm stopped dead, and now I'm basically hoping DRS is enough to win the game on his own, I really need to draw a good 3-5 cards to try again from such a useless hand.

When the deck is good, it's REALLY good, and rewards knowing your deck extremely well and punishes your opponent for not (exactly what I loved about Melira Pod). I had some games I'll never forget at the Orlando Open last month.....but I had way more lovely games where I sat there like a slug with a few 1/1s.

I guess it's a situation where it's a little hard to ride out the variance. Your topdecks aren't super powerful without support. Heritage Druid is the most powerful card in the deck, but it feels really bad to draw after things fell apart and you really needed a GSZ/Rec Sage to get out from under a Jitte lock. If you go for it and somehow whiff, unless you have a Scooze or something to buy time, you're dead.

I still think Legacy is a format where you're far better off sticking with what you know....you'll do way better with a T2 deck you've been tuning and piloting for years than you will with the T1 flavor of the month. But after 2 years, I may finally be hanging up my Cradles and looking around at other options.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Knightfall seems like a really well positioned deck in Modern right now, between Tron and most control decks being a bit mediocre.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Was this at curio?

you got it. which deck were you? :D

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I played legacy for the first time last night using a borrowed storm deck. Turns out that cards with the words "Dark" and/or "Ritual" in the name are very fun to cast.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Tim Raines IRL posted:

you got it. which deck were you? :D

I was playing 4c loam

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

I was playing 4c loam

Ah cool I think I was sitting next to you when you played my buddy, he was the burn deck.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Just kiss already I can't handle the suspense!

Vintage champs in a few weeks. I think all I can afford is unpowered Eldrazi but if I could find bazaars I'd play dredge in a heartbeat.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

Just kiss already I can't handle the suspense!

Vintage champs in a few weeks. I think all I can afford is unpowered Eldrazi but if I could find bazaars I'd play dredge in a heartbeat.

Unpowered eldrazi is great though! Turns out my friend loaning me dredge is getting all foreign cards he was missing for the list to loan me. So I get to not only borrow dredge, I get pimped dredge! Also I'm playing 5 color Pyromancer in legacy. It's super fun.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It's doing pretty great in our mini lunchtime gauntlet against everything but oath. I just really want to play Dredge :(

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

It's doing pretty great in our mini lunchtime gauntlet against everything but oath. I just really want to play Dredge :(

Yeah... Dredge is pretty fun. It's not magic, but at least the rounds will be over fast.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Ah cool I think I was sitting next to you when you played my buddy, he was the burn deck.

Ugh I played the worst two games of magic I've played in years

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Ugh I played the worst two games of magic I've played in years

yeah, played into a couple Eidolons it looked like? It happens, esp if you don't play against burn a whole lot. He's gotten really good with that deck, too; I've tested against him a lot with elves, high tide, infect and opposition. Burn is, like any other even moderately viable legacy deck, a thing that can just loving kill you through disruption if it gets the nuts draw or you stumble at all.

My favorite game ever against him was with 85-card elfball lands; he passionately dislikes commander and I felt like I was forcing him to play it because I spent ~3 turns trying to go off with Titania shenanigans and finally won by locking him out on ~my 12th turn with a resolved Ruric Thar and him at 3 life (while I was under 3 Ensnaring Bridges and had failed been forced to exile my shaman of the pack and most of my DRS to scooze to not just be dead)

Good times.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
So I've gone 0-2 drop in my last three Modern FNMs, all with different decks including a shameful outing with my favorite Mill deck tonight :negative: Time to move away from the gimmicky crap for a little while, methinks. Been working on a few different decks on the side and am mostly done with them, what do you think I should focus on finishing for the next FNM? General suggestions also welcome-

BW Tokens

Budget-y Junk

RG Titan Breach

FWIW I'm closest to finishing Tokens and the furthest from Breach. Meta is pretty varied but has been leaning aggro as of late (saw multiple Infect and Eldrazi Taxes decks tonight, and a Merfolk guy at the top table) but there's always a couple guys on some UW/UWR Control deck.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Do BW tokens, splash green for glare of subdual :getin:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Went 3-0 playing RG Ponza at Modern. It felt fun land-screwing people but I had alot more fun playing the Sudden Reclamation deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

To jump in on the tokens talk, here's my list I've been using for a while to pretty decent success: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/404048#paper

Basically, you scoop to Dredge game 1 and mulligan aggressively into a Leyline. Tron's not that bad a matchup actually, at least from my experience....just gently caress that one guy at the Open who got a turn 3 Ugin on me (natural tron in opener, plus Gemstone Caverns and a redundant Mine to pitch to it...bastard).

I don't know why Tron would have improved but but it was unwinnable the last time I sleeved Tokens up.

The only way I ever had even a shot was Stony Silence and an opponents bad draw.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 16, 2016

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Maybe because I'm running more walkers or something? I'm not sure why but I haven't struggled with it, it's just Ugin that's unbeatable.I can usually take out a Karn easily if they minus it (what are they really exiling that's backbreaking), and if they plus I usually have enough on board to just ignore it and kill my opponent instead. As long as you have Path for Wurmcoil you're fine (also Thoughtseize helps), and they don't seem to be running nearly as many Oblivion Stone as they used to.

Games 2-3 just mulligan aggressively to a Stony Silence or insanely aggressive hand.

Maybe I'm just getting good draws. It isn't a GREAT matchup, I'm not happy to see it come down across from me, but I don't auto-scoop to it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

Went 3-0 playing RG Ponza at Modern. It felt fun land-screwing people but I had alot more fun playing the Sudden Reclamation deck.

what's your list? I'm putting together a list i put in the Brewhaus thread with Eldritch Evolutions

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

BaronVonVaderham posted:

How do you find ghost council? I have not used him since he was standard.

Here is what I use currently ET is huge and im going to move her up to 3 possibly.

There was a BW list that placed well a couple weeks ago that had lillies MB and 4xAslyum Visitor in the SB. Ive contemplated using it as a substitute for Bob before.

There are also some fun RWB token lists out there that look pretty fun to play.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sixfools posted:

How do you find ghost council? I have not used him since he was standard.

Here is what I use currently ET is huge and im going to move her up to 3 possibly.

There was a BW list that placed well a couple weeks ago that had lillies MB and 4xAslyum Visitor in the SB. Ive contemplated using it as a substitute for Bob before.

There are also some fun RWB token lists out there that look pretty fun to play.

He's amazing. I ran into a lot of control, particularly Jeskai, and he's perfect for that. He's also a fun surprise, as there are no actual creatures in the main, so most opponents side out any one-for-one targeted removal thinking path is pretty bad against Spectral Procession. You can sort of sideboard out of going wide and go bigger with him and Hero of Bladehold. I've found it gives you more flexibility after board if your matchup is bad and/or you know how they're going to sideboard against you in a way that favors bringing in more creatures.

I have been considering adding Liliana, but mostly haven't because I only have 1 right now. I really like the combo of Gideon and Sorin, though.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
Tokens is so much fun to play. I bring out a stack of like 100 tokens after my opponent knows what I am playng just for the intimidation factor.

I do miss playing the inn scars BW tokens list that was more like this but I would toss in Blood Artist and Killing Wave as well:

4x Blade Splicer
4x Champion of the Parish
2x Dismember
3x Doomed Traveler
3x Elspeth Tirel
2x Gather the Townsfolk
2x Hero of Bladehold
4x Honor of the Pure
4x Intangible Virtue

4x Lingering Souls
3x Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
3x Timely Reinforcements

3x Vault of the Archangel
4x Isolated Chapel
12x Plains
3x Swamp

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what's your list? I'm putting together a list i put in the Brewhaus thread with Eldritch Evolutions

Closer to this list:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/478912#online

Except still Inferno Titans instead of Thundermaw.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I bought coldsnap-block packs (1 each of IA, AL, CS) for a chaos draft yesterday at my Tim-Raines-is-legit-leaving-DC-for-good-thank-heavens party. Cracked a force of will. I haven't opened a pack of Alliances since 1997 and after that I probably won't try again.

All-in aggro deck was merely meh, and I went 1-2. Gave no fucks. The last (EDH) game of the night I lost in glorious fashion off my own Doomsday, but I had everything pinned down under static orb for seven straight turns so that's winning afaik.

I will, admittedly, miss the rather exorbitant amount of paper magic I've been able to indulge in here; that's gonna be less of a thing once I move north of the wall and have to deal with blizzards and all that nonsense.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
I am new to the thread and was introduced to the game via some close friends. They are seriously addicted, like I am worried sometimes, but in an effort to avoid my taunts they have recently purchased me a commander deck in hopes I will, like them, fall in love with the game. The commander deck they gave me was the Wade into Battle, and I was hoping to get some advice from goons on how to min-max it, because obviously I am totally not curious about beating them. Any advice would be helpful or if there is any trick of the trade I should know I would be greatful.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Biaga posted:

I am new to the thread and was introduced to the game via some close friends. They are seriously addicted, like I am worried sometimes, but in an effort to avoid my taunts they have recently purchased me a commander deck in hopes I will, like them, fall in love with the game. The commander deck they gave me was the Wade into Battle, and I was hoping to get some advice from goons on how to min-max it, because obviously I am totally not curious about beating them. Any advice would be helpful or if there is any trick of the trade I should know I would be greatful.

You probably want the main thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751954

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Biaga posted:

In addition to the main thread, there is a Commander specific thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636688

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

In addition to the main thread, there is a Commander specific thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636688

ah, thanks.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Biaga posted:

Ahahaha your friends gave you the worst of the past year's precon commander decks :rip:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Archenteron posted:

Ahahaha your friends gave you the worst of the past year's precon commander decks :rip:

fight fire with fire. Make it into a boros tokens stax deck; pretend to not understand why this is a problem.

disclaimer: I play disgusting decks.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 17, 2016

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Dunno when exactly when they announced it, but the VIP playmat for EW is Library. And it looks gorgeous. And you can get it signed there by the artist. Thats strongly worth considering for $60. You also get a bunch of other junk, but the playmat is what matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

This almost makes me want to play a Brainstorm deck again.

Almost.

No it doesn't.