Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Load-bearing insulation?! :prepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I inhaled in and out through grimaced teeth for a good 30 seconds seeing this

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Phanatic posted:

Even assuming the mantelpiece was something sturdier than styrofoam, that seems like an awfully precarious setup at best.

25 bucks for a wall mount is just way too spendy for some folk.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I can't cite code requirements, but I know a nearby disconnect means is required for a lot of commercial lighting. The cord and plug satisfies that requirement. Where I'm at, cord and plug is the norm for newer installations.

:v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah except permanent installation using an extension cord is explicitly against code, so

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

What's going on here for neophytes?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The mantel was attached with the idea that it might be used to support a few knickknacks or perhaps a small clock and then some idiot fucker mounted a huge TV to it and it broke off.

They didn't even mount it to the top of the mantel, they hung it off the front, thus applying maximum leverage.

Also on second look, there doesn't appear to be much of or any of a hearth in front of the fireplace, and those are either real or fake hardwood floors, so either that's a wholly decorative fireplace or some idiot fucker thinks scorch marks are cool and good decorations to have in front of your fireplace.

Also as a third thing, why do so many people think mounting a TV way up on a wall is good? Unless all of your seating in your room reclines as much as a movie theater, and you always want to be reclined while watching TV, it seems like a very bad thing to do to your neck.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 13, 2016

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leperflesh posted:

The mantel was attached with the idea that it might be used to support a few knickknacks or perhaps a small clock and then some idiot fucker mounted a huge TV to it and it broke off.

gently caress I'm an idiot again. It looked like he was using a cutting board for a new mantel. I mounted a 60" tv on a rack that I hung on with my body before mounting. Wtf

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Also as a third thing, why do so many people think mounting a TV way up on a wall is good? Unless all of your seating in your room reclines as much as a movie theater, and you always want to be reclined while watching TV, it seems like a very bad thing to do to your neck.

Kids.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Given it's in this thread I think we're supposed to believe that was crappy construction. And surely the mantel could have been mounted more securely, but I don't think you look at a piece of wood sticking off of a wall, with no brackets under it or masonry supporting it or anything, and just assume you can hang a huge-rear end TV off the front without consequences. It's not reasonable to assume a floating mantel can support like a hundred pounds off the front edge.

Huh. I also hate kids, but I didn't think most parents deliberately try to ruin their spines from childhood.

Or I guess the idea is very small kids shouldn't be given access to the TV so they can knock it over or something? So bolt it down to the table or whatever it's on, or mount it lower on a wall, or put a sheet of plexi in front of it on the entertainment center (which is what my sister did when she had kids).

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 13, 2016

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Architecturally putting a closet by a wood burning fireplace seems like a selling point.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

You guys are funny.

That tv was not attached to the mantle. It was placed on top. This is dumb enough on its own without imagining even worse situations.

People put their tvs over the fireplace because they demanded an modern open concept layout, and the only wall in the living room without floor to ceiling windows has a fireplace. So you put the tv above it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It looks like the TV was on top of the mantle, not *mounted*, just sitting. Would've probably been fine if there were a couple screws through the mantle into studs but it looks like it was caulked on.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheMadMilkman posted:

You guys are funny.

That tv was not attached to the mantle. It was placed on top. This is dumb enough on its own without imagining even worse situations.

People put their tvs over the fireplace because they demanded an modern open concept layout, and the only wall in the living room without floor to ceiling windows has a fireplace. So you put the tv above it.

Looks screwed in on the front. I'll give it a 9/10 if it landed like that without. Or staged. For FB cred

E: I see screw holes upper left

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Where was it even plugged in? I don't see any wires leading away. Actually the more I look at it, weirder it is. Those are weird TV feet, I took it for a bracket that let the TV hang from the front, but if it was just balanced on the mantel without even being screwed down I don't know how it managed to stay there for more than a couple seconds.

Maybe it all broke and fell immediately after they put the TV there, before they even had time to run cable and an extension cord or whatever.

Also managed to not even knock over that guitar.

Yeah I demand CSI-style investigation of this TV murder, the pieces just don't add up!!!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leperflesh posted:

Where was it even plugged in? I don't see any wires leading away. Actually the more I look at it, weirder it is. Those are weird TV feet, I took it for a bracket that let the TV hang from the front, but if it was just balanced on the mantel without even being screwed down I don't know how it managed to stay there for more than a couple seconds.

Maybe it all broke and fell immediately after they put the TV there, before they even had time to run cable and an extension cord or whatever.

Also managed to not even knock over that guitar.

Yeah I demand CSI-style investigation of this TV murder, the pieces just don't add up!!!

Dude hadn't even move his sweet guitar before he hit snapchat.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TheMadMilkman posted:

You guys are funny.

That's what I was getting at. The base is wider than the mantel itself was, so even if the mantel had held together you've still got your TV supported by like 60% of what's supposed to support it. One good bump into the wall or a heavy truck going past the house and it would have probably ended up in the same position.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phanatic posted:

That's what I was getting at. The base is wider than the mantel itself was, so even if the mantel had held together you've still got your TV supported by like 60% of what's supposed to support it. One good bump into the wall or a heavy truck going past the house and it would have probably ended up in the same position.

He put two screws in the bottom left and right. Called it good. Zoom the photo.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Yep. I had a tv fall on my daughter when she was maybe 2 years old. It was a 27" tube TV set on a homemade stand that was only 8" off the floor. She tried to climb over it to retrieve a toy and it tilted forward. Fortunately, she wasn't hurt. I

I have since become extremely anal about properly anchoring tvs, bookshelves, and anything else that might tip over.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

Burt Sexual posted:

Architecturally putting a closet by a wood burning fireplace seems like a selling point.

The acoustic guitar on the left draws the eye away from that.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Or I guess the idea is very small kids shouldn't be given access to the TV so they can knock it over or something? So bolt it down to the table or whatever it's on, or mount it lower on a wall, or put a sheet of plexi in front of it on the entertainment center (which is what my sister did when she had kids).

Bolt it to the table? Mount it lower on a wall?

Your posts are usually pretty intelligent, but uh...

Thanks, but instead of trying to watch my TV through a sheet of plexiglass I'll just simply mount it 2 feet higher and have no discernible effect on my neck. Not saying that's why everyone does it, but that's why I did it. And I'm not the only one with kids.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Above a fireplace is more than 2 feet higher but OK whatever. Ergonomic practice is to place what you're looking at at natural eye level when you're sitting in your usual spot. I'm glad your neck doesn't hurt, though. :shrug:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

Above a fireplace is more than 2 feet higher but OK whatever. Ergonomic practice is to place what you're looking at at natural eye level when you're sitting in your usual spot. I'm glad your neck doesn't hurt, though. :shrug:
My brother has a television mounted above fireplace, easy 5' from the ground and nobody at his household has neck problems or thinks it's weird in any way. Don't overthink it

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Burt Sexual posted:

What's going on here for neophytes?
A tv has fallen on the floor

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Leperflesh posted:

It's actually a great place for the tv in 'open concept' living-kitchen rooms with the breakfast bar thing, so you can watch TV while in the kitchen or at the bar (if it's in LOS from there of course). My neighbor's house has a 'ranch' floorplan with a neat and pretty well laid out living room area that i'm pretty jealous of.

I didn't mark doors or anything, and not to scale. Also decorated in a very suburban 'western' theme, lots of taupe and adobe colors and dead cows.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
he has a diy wall next to his bkfast? and it can see his gas tv? poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's actually a great place for the tv in 'open concept' living-kitchen rooms with the breakfast bar thing, so you can watch TV while in the kitchen or at the bar (if it's in LOS from there of course). My neighbor's house has a 'ranch' floorplan with a neat and pretty well laid out living room area that i'm pretty jealous of.

I didn't mark doors or anything, and not to scale. Also decorated in a very suburban 'western' theme, lots of taupe and adobe colors and dead cows.

There's nothing great about watching TV while you're eating unless you live alone.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's nothing great about watching TV while you're eating unless you live alone.

What if you just hate your family?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

What if you just hate your family?

That too does not sound great.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holidays where there are people over watching holiday shows while getting food from the potluck is p common when I grew up.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

People have different lifestyles you say?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Polio Vax Scene posted:

People have different lifestyles you say?

Hmm yes my style and the bad styles :mmmhmm:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I will say tv while eating is also great for a 2 person situation. 1 on 1 conversation while eating is an annoyance put up with for dates. In a relationship, you just eat your food and talk afterwards like civilized humans.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Had a house with a girl for 3 years, we always ate dinner in front of the TV. We'd have plenty of time to talk while cooking or whatever.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jerry Cotton posted:

This sounds like my mother.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

They didn't even mount it to the top of the mantel, they hung it off the front, thus applying maximum leverage.

Also on second look, there doesn't appear to be much of or any of a hearth in front of the fireplace, and those are either real or fake hardwood floors, so either that's a wholly decorative fireplace or some idiot fucker thinks scorch marks are cool and good decorations to have in front of your fireplace.

Also, the word on Reddit was that it was an older plasma TV. For those not in the know, they're heavyweights. Just look how much glass came out of it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

This sounds like my mother.

You never call, Nigel :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good gallery

http://imgur.com/gallery/SKPPO

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Best one.

e: vvv to be honest, it is a little too good to be true. Like there's loving up, and then there's this. but i want to believe

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

Looks fake