Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Manatee Cannon posted:

unless your comp group is just better than you, you're gonna lose a lot more often like that. and if they are, they'll lose a lot more often because of you

big groups aren't better for ranked

58% win percentage, in Diamond, we're doing just fine.

It's nice going into a game knowing you already have a couple of good healers, tanks and DPS and don't have to worry about a slam picking _____ player.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mcvey posted:

It's nice going into a game knowing you already have a couple of good healers, tanks and DPS and don't have to worry about a slam picking _____ player.

If you're not slam picking Mei, you're doing it wrong.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
I had a child in QP freak out this morning because I was playing Winston with a Reaper on the team.
I couldn't tell if he was joking or not either, he seemed pretty upset about how this wan't lore friendly.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Hughmoris posted:

If you're not slam picking Mei, you're doing it wrong.

Oh we got one of those for the right maps

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Me: Did you know that Reinhardt can charge D.Va's mech before it self-destructs, pushing the blast out of range?
Friend: You can? But then you die when it explodes.
Me: A GLORIOUS DEATH PROTECTING ONE'S FRIENDS.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Space Fish posted:

Me: Did you know that Reinhardt can charge D.Va's mech before it self-destructs, pushing the blast out of range?
Friend: You can? But then you die when it explodes.
Me: A GLORIOUS DEATH PROTECTING ONE'S FRIENDS.

you can also just put your shield up and protect them though its marginally less cool

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Or you could just stand next to it with your shield up to provide an extra wall for your team to scramble behind

e: get off my lawn terrified

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I find it best to charge the dva ult into the teammates that abandoned you to flankers.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
I hooked a d-va ult around a corner today, but got hooked myself at the same time so nothing happened. I felt robbed, even if no one ended up dead to it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Only thing I know is I'm either getting Mei'd or getting paid and when I'm getting one, the other one's getting away.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
They need to rebalance McCree's ult. I feel so bad for the guy. Anyone else activates their ult and gets killed immediately, they either keep their ult or keep most of their ult. They might lose it if they start and then die mid-ult. McCree just loses his AS SOON AS HE STARTS TALKING and that just feels sad. I know he was getting it really fast, but as ults go, it was already kinda bad. Now it's just the saddest thing.

I also like the new voice clips for various people as they get Nano-boosted, and, back to McCree, his ultimate is charged voice clip "You know what time it is"

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, every character should lose their ult on activation. It's some bullshit when you shut down a Reaper or Genji ult right as it starts, only for them to come back ready to pop it again.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Veryslightlymad posted:

They need to rebalance McCree's ult. I feel so bad for the guy. Anyone else activates their ult and gets killed immediately, they either keep their ult or keep most of their ult. They might lose it if they start and then die mid-ult. McCree just loses his AS SOON AS HE STARTS TALKING and that just feels sad. I know he was getting it really fast, but as ults go, it was already kinda bad. Now it's just the saddest thing.

I also like the new voice clips for various people as they get Nano-boosted, and, back to McCree, his ultimate is charged voice clip "You know what time it is"

Deadeye is a good ult, on a character who could have a worthless ult and still be good, and all ults should instantly go to 0% as soon as you hit Q.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Frankly, every character should lose their ult on activation. It's some bullshit when you shut down a Reaper or Genji ult right as it starts, only for them to come back ready to pop it again.
Uh, they basically do, as of 2 major patches ago. There's no more recovering at 75% unless you have like a lan ping and died simultaneously with a 'Q' press.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Some ults are lost immediately because they don't wind down the charge as you use it, with pharah it uses ult as you rain Justice from above so if you're headshot right at the start you usually have between 60-75% left

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Uh, they do, as of 2 major patches ago.

They shortened it but there's still a buffer before it fully drains, and it's enough of a buffer that it still basically punishes you for having good reaction time.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They shortened it but there's still a buffer before it fully drains, and it's enough of a buffer that it still basically punishes you for having good reaction time.

quote:

Ultimates that consume the ultimate meter when activated will now drain the meter more quickly (.25 second instead of 1 second)

Average human reaction time to visual stimulus is... 0.25 seconds

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

if you flashbang genji as you hear his ult callout he will 100% get it back

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Brannock posted:

Exactly. It's a competitive game of reflexes and awareness, we're not in the business of "average."

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Supercar Gautier posted:

This is a good thing, because then you get to shut them down again.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Was there a change made to Hanzo in this update? I went from matches with maybe one Hanzo per both teams to multiple Hanzos on both sides in QP. I thought it was because people wanted to show off his new skin but nope.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Brannock posted:

If you correctly anticipate that an ult is coming, you have more time than 0.25 seconds to react. Common example; Reaper tries to get the drop on your team, someone spots him coming and calls it out, everyone burns him down and he dies right as his ult starts. That Reaper's meter should go down to 0.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Exactly. It's a competitive game of reflexes and awareness, we're not in the business of "average."

If the shooter is watching the target intently, is anticipating an ultimate, is ignoring everything else going on, is perfectly tracking the target to ensure a headshot / disable the moment they see the ultimate go out, and has above average reaction times, then, yes, the target would retain some ultimate charge after being shut down.

Diabetic posted:

Was there a change made to Hanzo in this update? I went from matches with maybe one Hanzo per both teams to multiple Hanzos on both sides in QP. I thought it was because people wanted to show off his new skin but nope.

People got a lot more practice with him in the brawl and realized he's not awful anymore after the buffs he got to compensate for smaller logs.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Pharah's and Roadhog's shouldn't disappear upon activation since they are "spat out" as the timer goes down.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I always figured they long wind-down was to benefit the ult user in case of bad server response times. Sending everyone to 60 tick was probably what allowed them to be more stingy with refunds.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Supercar Gautier posted:

If you correctly anticipate that an ult is coming, you have more time than 0.25 seconds to react. Common example; Reaper tries to get the drop on your team, someone spots him coming and calls it out, everyone burns him down and he dies right as his ult starts. That Reaper's meter should go down to 0.
Panic ulting like an idiot should also be punished. Giving them a pat on the head and a second bite at the cherry won't teach them a lesson. Tough love. It's for their own good.

Jastiger posted:

Pharah's and Roadhog's shouldn't disappear upon activation since they are "spat out" as the timer goes down.
It absolutely should in my opinion. Once you hit Q you should be right back to 0.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
genji gets an extra long grace period while he's unsheathing too. its bullshit to shut him down with something that is possibly another ult or long cooldown but then he just comes back with full ult

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Thanks for the advice about Mei, I haven't gotten potg yet this week with her but got close. This morning I got a quintuple kill but I guess D.Va hogged the potg credit because she helped soften up the 5 guys I killed with my blizzard.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Dyz posted:

The way I actually became decent at Broodwar was playing against people 1 rank above me regularly instead of trying to find the most balanced opponent. This method would have never worked with auto matchmaking because I lost more than I won by playing people better than me. As I lost, I would have then been matched against people who were less and less challenging to play against and never would have improved.

This would be really nice.

cosmicjim posted:

I solo queue and move up 300 points, then group with them and move down 300. Rinse and repeat. I'm really trying to teach one guy that I think is getting better. The rest of them play stuff like bastion and symmetra and there's no way to convince them to stop without being an rear end.

Just have them play a bunch on their own and their rating should tank anyways.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mcvey posted:

58% win percentage, in Diamond, we're doing just fine.

this just means that some of you could be in master and some of you should be in platinum or something. for real, group queue is much better for the worst players in your group than it is the best players because it averages out

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Manatee Cannon posted:

this just means that some of you could be in master and some of you should be in platinum or something. for real, group queue is much better for the worst players in your group than it is the best players because it averages out

I'd rather have fun in a group than win alone.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hey, I'm not trying to stop you. it just seemed like you were implying grouping up was easier to win to me. you should absolutely play with a group if you like to do that

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

mcvey posted:

I'd rather have fun in a group than win alone.

Emptyquoting this forever.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I mean a solo queue team is a group, and I have more fun winning, so I go for the way that lets me win more.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jastiger posted:

lol jesus christ, how about gently caress no.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

UP AND ADAM posted:

I mean a solo queue team is a group, and I have more fun winning, so I go for the way that lets me win more.

It helps that it's the same group of 10~ of us that have been playing poo poo together for the past 5ish years.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Having a similar SR group of 2-4 with good comms and flexibility / distribution of roles reduces the element of randomness in the people assigned to your team which is pretty clearly an advantage

And if there's a large SR gap then your top players should be able to carry very easily, more than making up for the drag from your bottom players

As long as you're not playing literally every game with the exact same group, nobody is going to get "dragged down" by grouping in the long run

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Jastiger posted:

No, because this is correct:

Redundant posted:

Panic ulting like an idiot should also be punished. Giving them a pat on the head and a second bite at the cherry won't teach them a lesson. Tough love. It's for their own good.

It absolutely should in my opinion. Once you hit Q you should be right back to 0.

I got into a bad habit of panic-ulting because I wasn't punished for it before they changed the discharge rates of the ults.

Don't panic-ult. Don't let people not be punished for wasting an ult in panic.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Redundant posted:

EXCEPT Dva who gets 100% ult as soon as she presses Q Then it goes to 0 as she gets in her new shiny mech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
she only gets mech ult after the old mech explodes