Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Hahahaha that is so awesome. I mean, I 100% agree that his lyrics and his songs are worthy of wide recognition and of the Nobel Prize but I can't say I ever expected to see it and just seeing the headline was so unexpected that I really did laugh out loud.

I used to say that I loved Bob Dylan but only when other people sang his songs but I've really come around to his voice and do consider his work to be poetry.

Come mothers and fathers throughout the land
And don't criticize what you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one if you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a' changin'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

My happiness is split down one line with this; I'm happy because I love Dylan, and I'm happy because Roth didn't win it again so we can put up with another round of hilariously whiny articles written in broadsheets.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

There's also an interesting question of what exactly a song does for a reader of literature (like how do you represent on the page of a 'poem' the particular way he sings a syllable? What does it do to you?) which hopefully will get more attention now.

But yeah, I like Bobby D so I'm not complaining

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Leave your stepping stones behind
something calls for you
Forget the dead you've left
they will not follow you
The vagabond who's rapping at your door
Is standing in the clothes that you once wore
Strike another match
go start a new
And it's all over now,
Baby Blue.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they read and considered Tarantula and the autobiographies Chronicles, Vol. 1 when they were thinking Bob Dylan.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
i'm just hoping ppl will buy Tarantula en masse and then get super salty.

actually the best thing about dylan winning the prize is seeing ppl get angry about it on lit forums. also, imagining philip roth's face when he heard the news

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 13, 2016

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

And on the same day the other laureate who wasn't primarily a writer has passed away (Dario Fo).

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

What do you call a Bob Dylan sad that the lit thread is making fun of him

Sob Dylan

Please do more of these.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Man I am not down with this stupid bullshit

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

No man it's hilarious.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lol GBS is upset because this is a slippery slope that will lead to the vile negro Kanye imposing his hot jungle beats on literature just as he destroyed music

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

What do you call an oddly - shaped Bob Dylan that nobody wants to use in Goldeneye

Klobb Dylan

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It sucks that Allen Ginsberg is dead because if they were going to give it to a turkey they might aswell have gone for one who was at least a published writer.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Fun fact: Bob Dylan and Thomas Pynchon probably hung out once or twice in college.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

thehoodie posted:

Fun fact: Bob Dylan and Thomas Pynchon probably hung out once or twice in college.

Bob Dylan barely stayed in college for a year and in Minnesota? How would he hang out with Pynchon in Cornell in the 50's if he didn't even go to New York until the early 60's, when Pynchon was working for Boeing in Seattle?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

How do you get a DNA sample from a Nobel laureate?

Swab Dylan

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Bob Dylan barely stayed in college for a year and in Minnesota? How would he hang out with Pynchon in Cornell in the 50's if he didn't even go to New York until the early 60's, when Pynchon was working for Boeing in Seattle?

Sorry it was after college. Blame Farina.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lol GBS is upset because this is a slippery slope that will lead to the vile negro Kanye imposing his hot jungle beats on literature just as he destroyed music

Kanye should have won it this year

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

What do you call a tiny Bob Dylan that you attach to your keychain?

Fob Dylan

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

CestMoi posted:

Kendrick is now due literature prizes I feel

As surely is Joni Mitchell and maybe Leonard Cohen, if we're doing old people

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

what does Philip Roth instruct people to do in order to steal the Nobel for himself

Mob Dylan

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What do you call a low-maintenance cropped hairstyle that spits hot fire?

Bob Dylan

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
What do you call this thread current's condition Dylan

GBS Dylan

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CestMoi posted:

Rare moment of Cest and Mel synthesis

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Who spits hot fire

Bob Dylan Dylan Dylan Dylan and Dylan

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

quote:

Bob Dylan 100 percent is not going to win. Stop saying Bob Dylan should win the Nobel Prize.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

CestMoi posted:

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
What do you call a messy noble laureate?

Slob Dylan

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

What do you call a Nobel Laureate made of corn?

Cob Dylan

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's this level of rhyming dictionary mastery that's won the nobel.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

What would you need to make some hors d'oeuvres that the Nobel prize committee might enjoy while deciding who was most deserving of a prize in literature?

Bob Dill n Salmon

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

They give the Nobel to Dylan but the National Book Award snubs Darnielle, huh?

Just goes to show Americans have better taste in literature than Eurotrash.

unao
Dec 12, 2013
You have to admit, it is fairly novel.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Burning Rain posted:

apropos of nothing, is there anything i really should read of delillo that would change my mind, if i thought that White Noise was sterile and boring? like, i'd read munro's latest book before the nobel win and thought it was meh, but last year i got to THe lives of girls and women, which really was great, so i'm willing to give Mr. Don another chance.

if you didn't like white noise i don't think you will like any of his other books. you could try underworld i suppose, but if you thought white noise was sterile then i think you'd find underworld to be an autoclave.

e: oh whoops there's like a page of posts after this one

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 13, 2016

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

if you didn't like white noise i don't think you will like any of his other books. you could try underworld i suppose, but if you thought white noise was sterile then i think you'd find underworld to be an autoclave.

e: oh whoops there's like a page of posts after this one

I read Underworld like 5 years ago and have thought about it 2 or possibly 3 times since. I don't think it has much to offer, so, for whatever my opinion is worth, the opinion of poster David Crosby, don't read it. At least white noise has the dude who's a professor of hitler studies which is fairly lol.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
Best reaction to Nobel prize:
https://twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/786523529101451264

(edit: nevermind, just a funny fake...)

Abalieno fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 13, 2016

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
what the hell

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

What do you call an oddly - shaped Bob Dylan that nobody wants to use in Goldeneye

Klobb Dylan

nice

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
welp gently caress you Pynchon and McCarthy I guess :smith:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Pynchon turns 80 next year and is probably going to pass away before he wins, as if they'd consider him. :smith:

Not that he cares.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Criminal Minded posted:

welp gently caress you Pynchon I guess :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Franchescanado posted:

Pynchon turns 80 next year and is probably going to pass away before he wins, as if they'd consider him. :smith:

Not that he cares.

He's probably too busy watching a Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids marathon or something. I assume Cormac McCarthy is just silently brooding over glasses of extremely high-proof home-distilled whiskey.