Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I would have thought Ben would have way more. What about Flaccid?

These are for specifically short-yardage downs, Roethlisberger throws it deep about as often as Rodgers does, just not on short downs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Brannock posted:

A look at Packers offensive woes (really only Packers fans will be interested in the details here, but I quoted the most pertinent part for all the other readers here)

I guess no one can claim that McCarthy is overly conservative anymore.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Brannock posted:

A look at Packers offensive woes (really only Packers fans will be interested in the details here, but I quoted the most pertinent part for all the other readers here)

How many DPI's did they get in those situations

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Nodoze posted:

How many offsides calls did they get in those situations

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gynecolojustice posted:

What's Alex Smith's splits in that situation, tell me now

Since he's been with the Chiefs 0 for 0, for 0 yards.

No that isn't a joke.

e: poo poo, nevermind. I'm querying wrong in some fashion since I get no results for short passes either.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Ehud posted:

Hey speaking of which, how has Vernon been in NY?

he's been amazing against the run and was whipping every OT he faced in the preseason in both the run and pass game, of course, being a Giant, he filled out the questionnaire they give all incoming free agents and draft picks for what random injury he wanted to suffer before the season started and he chose his wrist. So he's barely practiced all year leading up to every game and it's obviously effecting him in games because he's not getting much work done in the passing game.

JPP also chose to injure his shoulder in week 1 and hasn't been the same player either, but both he and OV refuse to come off the field so they've played a ton of snaps at half effectiveness. Unfortunately none of the rotational DEs have stepped up at all so the Giant pass rush basically depends on one of them getting healthy at some point.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ok here we go. 6/8 75% 204 yards 2 TDs 0 INTs.

http://pfref.com/tiny/6N40h

I am not entirely sure if that's actually telling us the correct thing or if 'pass deep' in the query is just based on how the play worked out? Surely there has to be something there or it wouldn't return any incompletions. But if it is correct Alex ought to try that a little more often.

e: I mean that just cannot be correct. There's no way.

ee: I do get the exact same stats for Rodgers that the article did though. Holy poo poo, go deep a little more you loving tiny handed freak.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 13, 2016

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Google Apps is great if you're willing to never, ever leave the browser.

You've never had to contact their support...

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MacheteZombie posted:

When they get a lead?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Metapod posted:

Dak is not better than Mariota

Sorry bro but Dak is better than Mariota

sean10mm posted:

Mariota has had some periods where he has just looked goddamn awesome that Dak really hasn't had yet, but Dak hasn't had the total spaz moments that Mariota continues to have either.

The Cowboys, God help me, are so much better run top to bottom than the Titans that it's hard to compare them fairly. The Titans are mismanaged at nearly a Browns level of stupid and lazy, while the Cowboys seem to be doing a good job of keeping Jerry away from everything but the executive liquor cabinet and Garrett is boringly mediocre rather than disastrously idiotic.

I haven't been super-serious so far but Mariota's highs were his 4-td first game against the Bucs' abysmal pass defense last year and another 4-td game against the Saints' historically bad defense last year. You'll excuse me if I hold my enthusiasm for a guy who put up a 91.5 rating against some of the league's worst defenses last year

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 13, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

MacheteZombie posted:

The 2016 Packers score 5.5 points on average in the second half, second-to-last in the league.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I want to rush the passer

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Metapod posted:

Your utter disgust for the titans organization despite having 0 emotional attachment is just fascinating

Their ownership is just appalling and they have the definitive retread garbageman head coach, and I just kind of hate those things in general. I think that's it really.

There are teams I hate that are run by morons, but I enjoy their sucking so that's something different. :sun:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm always surprised the Packers have somehow only won one Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback. I suppose it's not technically a waste since they did win one, but considering he has the best stats of all time up to this point I feel like they should be a dynasty.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3755666&pagenumber=103&perpage=40#post458929189

:smug:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Kirios posted:

I'm always surprised the Packers have somehow only won one Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback. I suppose it's not technically a waste since they did win one, but considering he has the best stats of all time up to this point I feel like they should be a dynasty.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/10/07/how-giants-derailed-packers-budding-dynasty/91731452/

quote:

Bryan Bulaga, Packers right tackle: "They weren’t a bad football team. The crazy thing about it is, they reminded me a lot of us in 2010 when we snuck in as the sixth seed — and so did they."

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ugh...if I were a Packers fan I couldn't help but feel like this is such a massive waste of a fantastic talent at QB.

It's eerily similar to the Atlanta Braves in the 90's.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
2011 still makes me mad with how unrepentantly awful the defense was, yet the offense buzzsawed through the entire league. And the one time the offense finally stumbles, it's in the playoffs. What a missed opportunity that season was. But, I can't actually get too mad because watching Rodgers just bomb it deep every single game for endless touchdowns was a wonder.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
If you watched the games this season though Rodgers just hasn't really looked right. He's always been able to make amazingly ridiculous throws from body positions that no other quarterback in the league could do. This year, he's been really off target on most of those types of scramble throws. I almost wonder if this is just him getting older.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
My uneducated impression of the current-day Packers is that they're a good organization overall, but the game-day coaching is mediocre without being outright terrible in a way that gets a lot of publicity, so they underachieve just enough to gently caress themselves out of deeper playoff runs.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Chichevache posted:

What's worse: the eternal frustration of not having a franchise QB, or the realization that you found one and he's being ruined by an incompetent team?

The latter. It blows knowing Rivers would probably have a ring or two if the Chargers weren't one of the most incompetently run teams in football.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/adamhbeasley/status/786664986202501120

miko nooooo

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
lemme take a guess who handles the finances in that relationship

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

Ok here we go. 6/8 75% 204 yards 2 TDs 0 INTs.

http://pfref.com/tiny/6N40h

I am not entirely sure if that's actually telling us the correct thing or if 'pass deep' in the query is just based on how the play worked out? Surely there has to be something there or it wouldn't return any incompletions. But if it is correct Alex ought to try that a little more often.

e: I mean that just cannot be correct. There's no way.

ee: I do get the exact same stats for Rodgers that the article did though. Holy poo poo, go deep a little more you loving tiny handed freak.

My God he was even decent in San Francisco.

8/16 2 TDs 0 INTs

For his career Alex Smith in that situation is 14/24, 58.3%, 437 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs, 18.2 YPA, for a 142.3 passer rating. When set up well and he actually throws the damned thing Alex Smith's deep ball is actually....good? My entire worldview is spinning.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

lemme take a guess who handles the finances in that relationship

Omar knows a guy who is real good with taxes.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

If you watched the games this season though Rodgers just hasn't really looked right. He's always been able to make amazingly ridiculous throws from body positions that no other quarterback in the league could do. This year, he's been really off target on most of those types of scramble throws. I almost wonder if this is just him getting older.

I wonder if it's a combination of that (plus injuries) and the Packers just not being as good of a team overall as they were a couple of years ago.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Grittybeard posted:

8/16 2 TDs 0 INTs

For his career Alex Smith in that situation is 14/24, 58.3%, 437 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs, 18.2 YPA, for a 142.3 passer rating. When set up well and he actually throws the damned thing Alex Smith's deep ball is actually....good? My entire worldview is spinning.

its not super hard to be efficient when your entire career youve thrown it 24 times

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Maybe if they played more conservatively on 2nd and 2 or 3rd and 1 they'd extend drives and score more points.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
When the Dolphins fire Gase instead of Tannebaum because Tannebaum is up Ross' rear end I hope Gase goes on to win five super bowls.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ghost Dog posted:

its not super hard to be efficient when your entire career youve thrown it 24 times

Of course the attempts are super low, I didn't expect him to have good numbers in whatever few attempts he had though. If we expanded that out to all situations instead of super low down and distance I'm sure he's appropriately ugly because man does he miss wide open guys. Oh hell let's do it.

Still better than I expected but at least a little more in line. 223/534 41.7% 33 TD 29 INT.

We should also keep in mind that 'deep' in this situation is only 15 yards in the air. If I had a way to change that to 25 I'd expect the both the attempts and the good numbers to go down.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Trast posted:

When the Dolphins fire Gase instead of Tannebaum because Tannebaum is up Ross' rear end I hope Gase goes on to win five super bowls.

Cleveland can hire him and we'll have double the QB whisperers.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Grittybeard posted:

Of course the attempts are super low, I didn't expect him to have good numbers in whatever few attempts he had though. If we expanded that out to all situations instead of super low down and distance I'm sure he's appropriately ugly because man does he miss wide open guys. Oh hell let's do it.

Still better than I expected but at least a little more in line. 223/534 41.7% 33 TD 29 INT.

We should also keep in mind that 'deep' in this situation is only 15 yards in the air. If I had a way to change that to 25 I'd expect the both the attempts and the good numbers to go down.

i imagine the routes he throws are different as well, and the ones hes going to go for are only going to be high % ones cause hes not comfortable with it. with andy reid specifically it would not be shocking if hes throwing those as counters to other plays they are running on short distance all game, altho thats just entirely speculation.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Durandal1707 posted:

I wonder if it's a combination of that (plus injuries) and the Packers just not being as good of a team overall as they were a couple of years ago.

The 2014 team was very good, but I think the 2016 defense is straight up a few tiers better than the 2014 defense. This defense is actually really good, and if Sam Shields doesn't get any more concussions (:() the pass defense may step up to be competitive alongside the run defense.

The writeup that I linked that kicked this whole discussion off argues that the offense will get back into sync as the season progresses, and blames lack of preseason practice for Rodgers and his receivers being badly out of sync. As the season has gone on the offense has looked better and better (at least before the second half).

I'm not going to make any doomsayer proclamations at least until the second divisional loss :v:

Grittybeard posted:

8/16 2 TDs 0 INTs

This topic came up a few years ago and just like today back then it was concluded that Alex Smith's deep ball was actually pretty solid, his coaches just straight up forbade him to throw deep for some reason.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Cleveland can hire him and we'll have double the QB whisperers.

Haslem is an rear end in a top hat while the Dolphins owner is a Michigan man. I'm not sure if those are the same thing.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Gynecolojustice posted:

Sharepoint is for assholes

gently caress SharePoint. It is one of the reasons I have to use 3 different Web browsers at work.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Trast posted:

I feel the same way about Tannehill. I hope he joins the Patriots and annihilates the entire league. It's the only appropriate way for it all to end.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783372&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post462336446

:smug:

Ignore the post that I made late on about how the Vikings will regress

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

HEH.

https://twitter.com/uSTADIUM/status/785437930756210689

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Only ahead of the Browns and behind the Jets, Texans, and Rams. I really hope they fix this. McCarthy's conservative nature once they get a lead + aggressiveness on 3rd and short doesn't really add up and maybe there is some truth to the idea that they should play to keep drives alive rather than look for the big play so much. Rodgers seems to have regressed somewhat on deep balls.

Maybe the answer is to get more creative with playcalling in general?

I will say that I think the Packers offensive woes are overstated. The defense looks better than its been in years and will make it less of an issue that the offense isn't scoring 30 points a game. The game this weekend against Dallas will tell us more about what to expect come January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

:chloe:

• Locked thread