Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Man it would be cool if Something Awful had a sub forum dedicated to pictures of pets and talking about pets and posting about pets

Some sort of Penninsula of Pets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

that's a loving majestic turkey though

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/786682808571944960

the suspense is kill me dave

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

ColdPie posted:

This is all well and good, but you forgot the most important bullet point: pay for all of that. If you're removing police officers from cars, you're going to need to dramatically increase the number of officers employed as their patrol range is going to dramatically decrease. You'll also need officers on standby with vehicles for rapid response situations. I think one of the larger issues behind lovely policing is it's simply a lovely job. In St Paul, the average police officer wage is around $55k. That's significantly less than I get paid to sit at a desk and help nerds play video games on Linux. Policing is a lovely, dangerous job and it pays pretty poorly. As a result, your candidates are people who couldn't find meaningful employment elsewhere. Body cameras aren't free; time spent getting to know the neighborhood is time spent not patrolling (time is money); increased training for deescalation techniques isn't free.

Any proposal to fix policing needs to include a large tax increase to pay for the amount of work you're proposing and to help attract quality candidates. That means raising taxes, and, well...

you know what would be a good start to help pay for a lot of that?

getting rid of poo poo like this:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Trabisnikof posted:

Man it would be cool if Something Awful had a sub forum dedicated to pictures of pets and talking about pets and posting about pets

Some sort of Penninsula of Pets

A Peninsula of Pets? That sounds awful.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ColdPie posted:

In St Paul, the average police officer wage is around $55k. ... Policing is a lovely, dangerous job and it pays pretty poorly. As a result, your candidates are people who couldn't find meaningful employment elsewhere.
:stare: Being a cop pays over the median household income in this country and you're saying it pays POORLY? And it's for people who couldn't find meaningful employment elsewhere? What the hell!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Whenever I see this I'm reminded of CJ Cregg trying to find out which turkey was more media-friendly.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gyges posted:

People own 23 cats. No one owns 23 dogs.

No... I know of a guy who got raided and 23 dogs taken away, exactly 23, big male, female, and two massive litters.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

Whenever I see this I'm reminded of CJ Cregg trying to find out which turkey was more media-friendly.

And Bartlet drafting the other one into military service.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

FuzzySlippers posted:

Isn't that an advantage in post Trump era? It'd be impossible for him not to be at least a little smarter than Trump.

I get your point, but I think, if he could manage to get through a primary without accidentally walking on stage with a suit put on backwards, he'd be held to a slightly higher standard than Trump was. Despite being dumb as gently caress he's one of those "I am a very serious person" Republicans so he doesn't have the leeway of being an rear end in a top hat clown & showman.

TheBigAristotle posted:

What about Gohmert? He's the House's village idiot.

Fair point, the competition is pretty tough. I might still give it to Cotton though because he's too dumb to even hold any opinions of his own, he just believes whatever the lobbyists signing his checks tell him to believe. Not like he's a cynical opportunist, he's just not smart enough to actually have positions.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

WeAreTheRomans posted:

that's a loving majestic turkey though

too bad most of the turkey's die within like 2 years since we breeded them into being huge breasted monstrosities.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Nessus posted:

:stare: Being a cop pays over the median household income in this country and you're saying it pays POORLY? And it's for people who couldn't find meaningful employment elsewhere? What the hell!

Cops get paid in a lotta places very well. NYPD pays their cops 100k a year after a few years on the force, with overtime, pension, and preferential selection in housing lotteries.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Cats and dogs are both pretty cool, but for different reasons.

For dogs, it's because over thousands of generations we have shaped each other's evolution to become emotionally closer and better at interpreting one another's needs. If offered the choice between hanging out with people and hanging out with dogs, dogs will choose people, because dogs are bred to love us forever. They are the closest thing we have to a symbiotic species (other than our gut bacteria, who are also really cool and deserve your love and respect but are not very cuddly). Genuinely, dogs are an expression of the absolute most effective survival strategy humans have, more important than tool-using and endurance hunting: cooperation and empathy. We're set up to like and work together with people who aren't us, and this is such a powerful response that it works on things that aren't people but are like people in some ways, like dogs. If we ever encountered aliens and I was asked to provide evidence that humans were worthy of taking part in a pan-galactic society, I would probably show them dogs, rather than nuclear weapons or whatever.

Cats are kind of an accident, but it's an accident that worked out really well. Cats probably just started hanging around people's barns because they contained mice, and the presence of the people was completely irrelevant to the cats. But the most successful cats were the ones who minded the humans' presence the least, so eventually you got cats who, rather than freaking out about humans, just didn't give a poo poo about them. And then you got ones who thought that people using their opposable thumbs and weird wiggly fingers to scratch them was pretty cool. And... that's about as far as we got with cats, actually. They're assholes, and so are we, but we get along okay anyway.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

highme posted:

A Peninsula of Pets? That sounds awful.

It is. The real pet appreciation takes place in YOSPOS.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Instant Sunrise posted:

getting rid of poo poo like this:

You'll be pleased to know that's already happening. Not sure what they'll do with the APC tho.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ColdPie posted:

Policing is a lovely, dangerous job

lol yeah if you consider those duty belts and all their gear hanging off them to be dangerous to their spinal health

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Trump's speaking at a middle school in Columbus, to a 'millennial' audience. He did a bit on how a Trump administration will guarantee free speech for students and end political correctness, and I think he just loving dogwhistled that he'll make it ok to say 'friend of the family' again.

quote:

In the past few decades, political correctness - oh what a terrible term - has transferred our institutions of higher education from places that fostered spirited debate to ones of extreme censorship where students are silenced for the smallest of things. You say a word somewhat differently, and all of a sudden you're criticized, sometimes viciously. We will end the political correctness and foster free and respectful dialogue.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/786661595636170753
Late, but I'm glad we're getting a list of political prisoners already

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Trump also said at an earlier rally today, "Take a look at her" in defense of the accusations by the writer of him sexually assaulting her.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Goatman Sacks posted:

Trump really seems to be getting a bump out of that debate that every poll said he lost - just him energizing his base?

Trump telling Hillary he will put her in jail pleased his supporters a lot. A LOT.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Wolf Blitzer just mentioned that they'll talk about the fact that RT tweeted about today's WikiLeaks dump before WikiLeaks did (and maybe before they even posted them?). I didn't think this would make network news.

edit: Wolf Blitzer just said that the RT tweet came BEFORE WikiLeaks posted the dump.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/foxnewspoll/status/786688187611639809

Hillary 45-38 in the Fox poll, up frp, 44-42 at the beginning of October.

:getin:

Maybe that's why he cancelled the interview! Crooked Hannity polls!

E: and 49-41 in the 2way!

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 13, 2016

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It was only a matter of time before they pinned a feliny on Hillary.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Pretty tame news day

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol yeah if you consider those duty belts and all their gear hanging off them to be dangerous to their spinal health

to back this up with data:

pre:
110.9	Logging workers
80.8	Fishers and related fishing workers
64	Aircraft pilots and flight engineers
47.4	Roofers
35.8	Refuse and recyclable material collectors
26.7	Farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural managers
25.2	Structural iron and steel workers
24.7	Driver/sales workers and truck drivers
19.2	Electrical power-line installers and repairers
18	Taxi drivers and chauffeurs
17.9	First-line supervisors of construction trades and extraction workers
16.9	Construction laborers
16.4	First-line supervisors of landscaping, lawn service, and groundskeeping workers
14.4	Maintenance and repairs workers, general
13.5	Police and sheriff's patrol officers
according to the bureau of labor statistics, it's nowhere near the most dangerous job in the world.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Also, Finn :allears:

https://twitter.com/JohnBoyega/status/786606399224709120
https://twitter.com/JohnBoyega/status/786623301099610112

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

More likely to be killed than cops: janitors.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Uranium 235 posted:

Wolf Blitzer just mentioned that they'll talk about the fact that RT tweeted about today's WikiLeaks dump before WikiLeaks did (and maybe before they even posted them?). I didn't think this would make network news.

edit: Wolf Blitzer just said that the RT tweet came BEFORE WikiLeaks posted the dump.

drat, thats pretty massive and hugely damning towards WikiLeaks. Anyone who tries to take their leaks seriously now is going to have to have a much harder time of it

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/786653231627833346

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Instant Sunrise posted:

pre:
110.9	Logging workers
47.4	Roofers
16.4	First-line supervisors of landscaping, lawn service, and groundskeeping workers
according to the bureau of labor statistics, it's nowhere near the most dangerous job in the world.
So you're telling me that for a job much less dangerous than roofing, farming, driving a truck or a taxi, I can make above the median American household income? And this is supposed to be specifically perilous? My God. I mean I'm all for everyone making a decent wage, but perhaps some of these other people should make as much as the fuzz, not vice versa.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
WTF:

quote:

A beleaguered Republican lawmaker has sounded off on allegations that he sent explicit text messages with an underage boy in a bizarre video.

Mike Yenni, who is the president of Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, admitted to exchanging “improper texts” with the boy, who was 17 at the time, in the Oct. 6 clip, which can be viewed above. The 40-year-old went on to stress that he was “smart enough to never repeat the past” and vowed to move on from the controversy.

“Last summer, I was old enough to know better, but I guess I was still young enough to do something stupid. I chose to send improper texts to a young man,” he said in the clip. “I made a bad decision. I regret my actions.”

Oh, it's Louisiana; that explains it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

I wouldn't have thought being a garbageman was such a dangerous job. Is it the risk of being hit by a car?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Nessus posted:

For the amount and time and importance of the work required? Yeah. You're not going to be attracting quality candidates with that kind of salary.

Instant Sunrise posted:

pre:
110.9	Logging workers
47.4	Roofers

I never claimed it was the most dangerous job in the world. I said they need to be paid more to attract quality candidates.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FactsAreUseless posted:

More likely to be killed than cops: janitors.

also pizza delivery drivers

but hey, police work is apparently more dangerous than being a US soldier

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
If you look at the timestamps involved, it was 50 minutes earlier, too. Not some they jumped the gun by 20 seconds poo poo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also pizza delivery drivers
Yeah, but delivery drivers are equally likely to be armed.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Nessus posted:

So you're telling me that for a job much less dangerous than roofing, farming, driving a truck or a taxi, I can make above the median American household income? And this is supposed to be specifically perilous? My God. I mean I'm all for everyone making a decent wage, but perhaps some of these other people should make as much as the fuzz, not vice versa.

:agreed:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Instant Sunrise posted:

pre:
110.9	Logging workers
47.4	Roofers

I find it concerning that airline pilots are that high up. Does that include commercial too or what?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Finn may not be the best character in TFA (Rey ftw), but Finn is further proving a close second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Instant Sunrise posted:

pre:
110.9	Logging workers
47.4	Roofers

Are those stats for injuries or deaths?

• Locked thread