Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Rasyats are disgusting. People's refusal to use them is probs why maiperformance is so contentious!

E: I mean look at this.

Pidgin Englishman fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Pidgin Englishman posted:

E: I mean look at this.

Sorry dude. :iia:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
No way.

This is awesome:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Pidgin Englishman posted:

No way.

This is awesome:

No, this is the reason I started Infinity.

And speaking of old drones, any idea on how to make an E-drone? I'm thinking semi-transparent antenna membrane sretched on something like fishbones, replacing the side spikes. T-Drone's face converted to have more eyes, kinda like the old Garuda face.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 14, 2016

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I may have convinced a couple buddies to try out the game, and they have found the Battle boxes or whatever - the boxes with paper terrain and two armies.

Am I okay with just telling them to pick the pair they are most interested in, or is one of the boxes more or less balanced/complex?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
No, I'd say they're roughly equivalent in terms of complexity. Either one is a good investment and a great way to get started.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TheTofuShop posted:

I may have convinced a couple buddies to try out the game, and they have found the Battle boxes or whatever - the boxes with paper terrain and two armies.

Am I okay with just telling them to pick the pair they are most interested in, or is one of the boxes more or less balanced/complex?

Either Icestorm or Red Veil are OK for a start. So are the big faction army packs.

Bear in mind that apart from the ones in Operation Somethings, :siren:starters are not balanced against each other in any way! :siren: If you try to play Steel Phalanx or Neoterra starter against an Ariadna one, Ariadna's gonna get beaten most of the time because you're pitting 6 light models against 6 elite models.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
So I wrote up the next turn for our ongoing Infinity narrative campaign. This turn (in which BlackIronHeart's Morat take on the Kazakhs) saw the Morats trying to keep their poo poo covert - ironically through the excessive application of violence. It is the Morat way! Read about it here:

http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/44721-a-new-dawn-narrative-campaign-and-batreps/?do=findComment&comment=872362

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
MayaNet is updated!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Not a viking posted:

MayaNet is updated!

:toot:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Pierzak posted:

:siren:starters are not balanced against each other in any way! :siren: If you try to play Steel Phalanx or Neoterra starter against an Ariadna one, Ariadna's gonna get beaten most of the time because you're pitting 6 light models against 6 elite models.

This is what I remember doing for my first infinity inductee. We both got starters and they were wildly different.

It looks like Icestorm is where the two of them are leaning. hopefully they get hooked, both guys are real burned out on WH40K.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
So I see via Army6 that Scarface and Cordelia are now usable by almost everyone. Is this going to be forever or is this just for the current season of ITS?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Picked up my first actual game miniature, the Shasvastii Corax Spec-op. Picked it because it wasnt that expensive, I like the overall design, and the weird battle thong looks like it would be pretty easy to alter to look like wrappings over a bodysuit.

How is the unit in the actual game?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

Picked up my first actual game miniature, the Shasvastii Corax Spec-op. Picked it because it wasnt that expensive, I like the overall design, and the weird battle thong looks like it would be pretty easy to alter to look like wrappings over a bodysuit.

How is the unit in the actual game?

A spec-ops is a unit specifically for use in narrative/campaign play - it gains XP from game to game, so starting from a basic profile (ie you would always pay the basic Shasvastii Seed Soldier points cost in your army, and use that basic profile) you can upgrade it to have a very wide range of skills, weapons, equipment, and stat increases. You do also see one-off tournaments, or just games by agreement, where Spec Ops are used, players just set a given XP value (typically 12) to play at. If you go into the Infinity Army builder, you'll see a button around your Army List marked 'spec ops', that will show you the options available.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
It's a pretty flexible model though. It could proxy as a malignos reasonably well, or as a nexus operative (as they don't have models yet).

I played the first tagline game on the weekend, it was good fun. I ran onyx, and having nearly 400 pts is brutal - I went for all the toys, so had a xedron/Samaritan link, overdron hrmc, Unicron/nexus/legate link and a malignos FO.

What should have been a PanO victory, or at least a draw, turned into a 9-2 onyx win thanks to the overdron being obscenely lucky. It managed to save three hrl hits in one order, take out a knight and wound another with one order, and take out a seraph (standing in for macanaya) in one order. What a (lucky) beast.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Silly rules :question:question, but I just wanted to double check something.

When engaged in CC, can I spend an order on my dude and say "first half of the order is to move 4 inches, assuming I kill you in CC: ARO: second half of order is CC attack"

My gut says yes, but when it happened in a game I was playing last night, I figured, well, I wonder if this is one of those things me and my group are taking for granted that doesn't actually exist haha.

Also, when engaged in CC with multiple enemies, when I make a CC attack, I assume each enemy gets an ARO, right? Meaning that I could only make a face to face roll against one of those enemies (assuming I dont randomly have an extra burst from somewhere)?

CC in Infinity can be confusing :xd:

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Nope. The Engaged state restricts the skills you can declare to a very small list and Move is not on the list.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

TheFinalTuba posted:

Also, when engaged in CC with multiple enemies, when I make a CC attack, I assume each enemy gets an ARO, right? Meaning that I could only make a face to face roll against one of those enemies (assuming I dont randomly have an extra burst from somewhere)?
Not only does everyone in close combat get an ARO, anyone who can draw LOF to you or whose ZOC you are in also gets an ARO. That's how you end up with people shooting into Close Combat. So yes, if your Burst is 1, your CC Attack will only be FtF with one opponent. Everybody else is making a Normal Roll against you (including people who are shooting into CC).

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
It's partially why Shinobu is such a fiend in Close Combat. She can strike everyone, and shooting at her while she's engaged is a savage -12 :getin:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Miniature Market is having a big sale tomorrow, and I think I'm going to be a total loving moron and buy into Haqq. Nobody around here plays them, and I'm pretty frequently buying stuff just to let other people run it.

What are some must-haves for Haqq? I'll probably snag Red Veil, and I've already got some Sekban and a Janissary I bought just to have something neat to paint.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Bashi Bazouks and Ghazis are real good in any Haqq force. Ilor will almost certainly have an effortpost for you.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

grassy gnoll posted:

Miniature Market is having a big sale tomorrow, and I think I'm going to be a total loving moron and buy into Haqq. Nobody around here plays them, and I'm pretty frequently buying stuff just to let other people run it.

What are some must-haves for Haqq? I'll probably snag Red Veil, and I've already got some Sekban and a Janissary I bought just to have something neat to paint.

Ooooh, link to details?

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

admanb posted:

Nope. The Engaged state restricts the skills you can declare to a very small list and Move is not on the list.

So, it's not allowed to say "Well, assuming I'm out of close combat, I'll have move be part of my order. If I don't end up out of close combat, the movement part is wasted."?

Just because by the time you try to move, you'll be out of CC. I know order declaration is weird, so want to get this sorted out.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

TheFinalTuba posted:

So, it's not allowed to say "Well, assuming I'm out of close combat, I'll have move be part of my order. If I don't end up out of close combat, the movement part is wasted."?

Just because by the time you try to move, you'll be out of CC. I know order declaration is weird, so want to get this sorted out.

You can't declare it, so it can't happen. :)

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

TheFinalTuba posted:

Everything is simultaneous, so no matter what happens you're never out of CC until the end of the order...

The discover/shoot thing seems like an exception, but it really isn't. It's just an irregular situation where it can turn out that a hidden model was really revealed all along.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Huh, alright, learn something new every day. Ok, two more quick CC questions:

1) My link of 3 members has one member (Model A) engaged with an enemy, and 2 on the outskirts. If I want to get Model B in there to add support to model A, am I allowed to spend an order on the link, and have that order be Move+CC with model A as the leader (the goal being to get Model B in the scrum as part of the move), so that Model A gets the B2 attack? My guess is no since as the leader, Model A cannot declare move. However, if I made Model B the leader and attacked with model B, they would presumably be ok to do that?

2) When shooting into CC, does the target get an ARO as normal? Since they're in CC, I think the only option really would be change facing, dodging at a -3. If so, makes shooting into CC REALLY unappealing as the -6 to hit, coupled with it being a F2F roll, makes it really hard to hit. Which is probably the point xD

Thanks!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Under 15 posted:

Ooooh, link to details?

They sent it out via their mailing list. I believe this should work: http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=16e467557e0e2f9c8c4e7d44f&id=aadef978e9&e=88ed4e4b11 but if not, it's basically just a "Hey we're having a big-rear end sale tomorrow, start paying attention."

BlackIronHeart posted:

Bashi Bazouks and Ghazis are real good in any Haqq force. Ilor will almost certainly have an effortpost for you.

As many Maggies as I can afford, got it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

you want some kum in all you lists

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

grassy gnoll posted:

They sent it out via their mailing list. I believe this should work: http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=16e467557e0e2f9c8c4e7d44f&id=aadef978e9&e=88ed4e4b11 but if not, it's basically just a "Hey we're having a big-rear end sale tomorrow, start paying attention."

As many Maggies as I can afford, got it.

Welp, looks like I'm getting CA stuff soon after all.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

TheFinalTuba posted:

Huh, alright, learn something new every day. Ok, two more quick CC questions:

1) My link of 3 members has one member (Model A) engaged with an enemy, and 2 on the outskirts. If I want to get Model B in there to add support to model A, am I allowed to spend an order on the link, and have that order be Move+CC with model A as the leader (the goal being to get Model B in the scrum as part of the move), so that Model A gets the B2 attack? My guess is no since as the leader, Model A cannot declare move. However, if I made Model B the leader and attacked with model B, they would presumably be ok to do that?
Yes, you could make B the leader. Just be aware that if your enemy thinks he can tank B's attack, he can choose to ARO against A as a Normal roll (because A is part of the Fireteam, and while only a single ARO is provoked, it is provoked by all Fireteam members - meaning any one of them is a valid target).

TheFinalTuba posted:

2) When shooting into CC, does the target get an ARO as normal? Since they're in CC, I think the only option really would be change facing, dodging at a -3. If so, makes shooting into CC REALLY unappealing as the -6 to hit, coupled with it being a F2F roll, makes it really hard to hit. Which is probably the point xD
The engaged target only gets an ARO if the active trooper is within his ZOC, because being engaged means he doesn't have line-of-fire to anything that's not in base-contact. So if your opponent is outside of your ZOC, you actually don't even get to Change Facing. You just stand there like a dope and take it. That's why the -6 modifier and the chance to hit your own guys is there - otherwise, shooting into CC from outside an engaged trooper's ZOC would be too powerful.

But as an aside, it's why shooting into CC with Triangulated Fire is awesome - you actually can't hit your own guy.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

grassy gnoll posted:

As BlackIronHeart mentioned, you can't go wrong with Ghazis. Bashi Bazouks are cool, but a little situational - they actually make more of a difference if you hold them until Turn 2 or even Turn 3.

For other stuff, the Remotes are great to have. A Hassassin Fiday is too much fun not to include (though be warned, they're actually pretty squishy and need to be used carefully), and I've had great fun using Tuaregs. Everybody in my meta plays sectorials, so including a Tuareg packing a Boarding Shotgun and lurking in Hidden Deployment is a great way to seriously gently caress up a Fireteam in ARO. Tuareg snipers also make for great TR bot hunters. A Djanbazan or two are also almost an auto-include, especially if you have a couple of Ghazis - smoke + MSV is a potent combo. I really like Hunzakuts - especially the ones with deployable repeaters - but it's because I tend to run rather "hacker heavy" lists. And lately, I've taken to fielding a lot of Naffatun, mostly because they're great for burning off other peoples' annoying TO Camo or ODD.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Janissary link team y/n

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Four Score posted:

Janissary link team y/n
The only way you can do it is in a QK list, where it is delicious. Just make sure to include the Tinbot profile and the Akbar Doctor profile for a particularly tough team.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Ilor posted:

The only way you can do it is in a QK list, where it is delicious. Just make sure to include the Tinbot profile and the Akbar Doctor profile for a particularly tough team.

QK and jokes aside, how are Janissary in regular Haqq? How many is too many?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I don't feel that any of the HI is really critical in vanilla Haqq, and there are more interesting loadouts than Jannisaries

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Yeah, I don't tend to run many HI in Haqq, as there are so many LI with good special skills

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Yeah I wouldn't bother. If you want an HI punch piece the Azra'il is more equipped to get poo poo done and otherwise there are better options.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Crossdressing Hafza FO in an Odalink is the real MVP

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

Ilor posted:

Yes, you could make B the leader. Just be aware that if your enemy thinks he can tank B's attack, he can choose to ARO against A as a Normal roll (because A is part of the Fireteam, and while only a single ARO is provoked, it is provoked by all Fireteam members - meaning any one of them is a valid target).

The engaged target only gets an ARO if the active trooper is within his ZOC, because being engaged means he doesn't have line-of-fire to anything that's not in base-contact. So if your opponent is outside of your ZOC, you actually don't even get to Change Facing. You just stand there like a dope and take it. That's why the -6 modifier and the chance to hit your own guys is there - otherwise, shooting into CC from outside an engaged trooper's ZOC would be too powerful.

But as an aside, it's why shooting into CC with Triangulated Fire is awesome - you actually can't hit your own guy.

Wow. This points to a lot of things that we weren't quite right about. I blame us making assumptions during the transition from N2 :p Just glad we can start adjusting our cheating ways!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Four Score posted:

QK and jokes aside, how are Janissary in regular Haqq? How many is too many?
The Janissary ML profile is cool as a relatively immovable ARO piece, especially if you can stick her in cover with a Nasmat hanging nearby. And if you want a good mid-field bruiser, the Boarding Shotgun is nice. But they're only AVA 2, so your options narrow somewhat. They'd be good picks for a Limited Insertion game, though. I won a tournament with a HI-heavy vanilla Haqq list once, so :shrug: YMMV

• Locked thread