Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think in Southeast and East Asia you're gonna want to develop a province up to it every time, it takes hundreds of years for Renaissance and Printing Press to make their way over there naturally.

And yeah I shoulda thought to delay the spread for as long as possible to China- I was dismayed after I developed Seoul to a renaissance center and found it was taking hold across the Yellow Sea in China markedly faster than it was in the neighboring Korean provinces. China gets so much development, stuff spreads super fast there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wafflecopper posted:

Did the patch do something funky to forts? I'm playing Portugal, allied with Spain and have some dudes seiging Granada. I tried to split some off but they can't move anywhere are all, even over the border into Spain, who are in the war with me. There are no other hostile forts in the area.

That's the same old weirdness about Fort ZoCs. Sometimes they make sense, other times they just don't.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I beat 3 coalition wars in a row as Mossi, AE gain does seem higher but you could always offset that by preemptively improving relations and using diplomacy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I finally got Printing Press as Pomerania, in 1574. A little while later I also got the long awaited Colonialism, in 1577. Good god that took 77 loving years to reach northern Germany? What the hell? :cripes:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Did you have any colonies?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah, if you have a colony it establishes in just a few years.

Honestly I don't really see the problem with tech coast fluctuating like that. It gives periods of strength to different regions of Europe. I'm sure there are some adjustments that need to be made but I really hope they don't dramatically speed up institution spread.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Koramei posted:

Yeah, if you have a colony it establishes in just a few years.

Honestly I don't really see the problem with tech coast fluctuating like that. It gives periods of strength to different regions of Europe. I'm sure there are some adjustments that need to be made but I really hope they don't dramatically speed up institution spread.

I think it needs to be easier for institutions to start their spread, not necessarily increase the rate but relax the conditions for them to start ticking

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
You can "force" tech spread, in a way, by pumping development into a high development province. With my capital in Antwerpen this game I've never gone more than a year without adopting a new institution.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm perfectly fine with institutes and actually really like the idea but taking almost 80 years to spread to northern Germany is ridiculous. Especially since it spread so quickly in the Mediterranean instead and freaking Poland and Ottomans picked it up years before me.

Buschmaki posted:

Did you have any colonies?
I had one province in Greenland. While I did get an event that gave it colonialism it didn't do anything at all outside of that one province.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
One game is a terrible sample size to judge a system.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Poil posted:

I'm perfectly fine with institutes and actually really like the idea but taking almost 80 years to spread to northern Germany is ridiculous. Especially since it spread so quickly in the Mediterranean instead and freaking Poland and Ottomans picked it up years before me.

I had one province in Greenland. While I did get an event that gave it colonialism it didn't do anything at all outside of that one province.

If you have like 2 colonies going it spreads to all of your ports, or to some ports super fast, or something.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I managed to adopt colonialism as moss with no portsi 5 years after it cropped up through development with portugal so it taking 80 years to spread to a country with colonies seems insane

Did I tell you guys I'm playing as Mossi???

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 13, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

If you have like 2 colonies going it spreads to all of your ports, or to some ports super fast, or something.
Ah, cool. But it took me so long to get range to the new world that I couldn't tell if I got any spread from it and the slow trickle from Poland and Denmark reached me at the same time.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

It took me maybe 30 years to get colonialism as Hamburg, I just needed to check every one in a while to see when it hit a lot province near me then get friendly with who ever had it. The port I got it off of was in the Netherlands, but I'm not sure how large the range is so I could probably get it from France or england.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Is the Aggressive Expansion problem actually bad enough that I should delay playing this expansion?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
No.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Some real loose lips going around and it's getting a tad annoying!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fellblade posted:

Some real loose lips going around and it's getting a tad annoying!

This happened in my Ottos game last night. Sultan Blabbermouth I of Haasa couldn't loving shut up about the impending attack of Baluchistan or something, got spammed with like fifteen messages over the space of a couple years. Loose lips sink screen real estate.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Gort posted:

Is the Aggressive Expansion problem actually bad enough that I should delay playing this expansion?

For what it's worth I wouldn't have realized there were any problems with it if I hadn't been reading the thread, dive in.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Gort posted:

No.

Maybe in the HRE it's extra bad? But in Eastern Europe its fine and I've seen tons of huge Prussias, so...

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I started a random setup game and noticed that the Renaissance was present in China just shortly after it popped up in Europe. Does anybody know what the conditions are for this to happen? Is it possible to get an early renaissance in Asia in a historical setup game?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gort posted:

Nah, I haven't run into anything game-breaking so far though I've only put a handful of hours in. AE feels a little high but as long as you play smart with it (watch your tooltips in peace deals, improve relations with neighbors, etc) it's not ridiculous.

Ruler personality stuff is very cool, different traits will give you additional options for events and affect how the AI works, you can mouse over each trait and it will tell you how it changes AI behavior.

Institutions are a cool mechanic, I'm guessing they'll be tweaked for balance a few times since it's a major overhaul of the tech system. Most all nations will end up with higher tech costs on average, I think. New institutions appear in different regions and have different patterns of spread, so you'll spend a good amount of time at +10-30% tech cost no matter what. The Renaissance spawns and spreads rapidly in Italy, in my game it spread to the Netherlands within a decade, the Ottomans and Balkans states picked it up quickly, but the Iberians and north/eastern Europe (Scandinavia, Germany, Poland, Muscovy) didn't get the Renaissance until 40+ years after it fired. Colonialism spawned in Portugal and I'd assume it's going to usually appear in Iberia or maybe England. It spreads rapidly along the coastline and if you are a colonial power.

Anyway it's great because tech costs now require strategic planning and investment to grab institutions.

Takanago posted:

I started a random setup game and noticed that the Renaissance was present in China just shortly after it popped up in Europe. Does anybody know what the conditions are for this to happen? Is it possible to get an early renaissance in Asia in a historical setup game?

Maybe by event? Renaissance only spreads to neighboring provinces (including across one sea tile) so it takes quite a while for it to get to Asia and Africa. Like previously when Westernization was a thing, you want to get borders with a European colonizer ASAP and hopefully can be friendly with them so you can steal their institutions.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 13, 2016

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Takanago posted:

Sometimes the AI just goes nuts with development so it's possible that's what happened. As mentioned earlier in the thread high development areas get institutions faster so China tends to do very well for itself once they actually receive the institution in question. Economic ideas are now even more powerful.

I'd just like to point out here that even with a 100% or higher tech penalty the AI is only a couple mil techs behind me in my Japan game (where I've been sailing on 0% penalty for about 120 years now) so what the penalty means has less to do with 'your tech sucks' and more to do with 'your development sucks' because you're not plowing the excess monarch points into your country which is now actually something to consider important. Outside of admin tech of course, that will take a hit and then you'll get corruption but such is life.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 13, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I was a little surprised that Innovative ideas weren't changed to give a speed boost to institutes.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Is there a way to speed up the Renaissance as an African, Indian, or East Asian nation other than conquering towards Europe? It seems like higher development only helps European provinces get the institution

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Poil posted:

I was a little surprised that Innovative ideas weren't changed to give a speed boost to institutes.

The third idea that gives the tech discount actually had an institution thing added to it now, but I still prefer Economic if only because it makes it easier to light up the specific provinces you want so that a savvy player can optimize the way institutions spread.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
What about large nations self destructing into vassals. Was that fixed in the hotfix?
I wanted start a new game but that and the AE problems had me holding off.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

420 Gank Mid posted:

Is there a way to speed up the Renaissance as an African, Indian, or East Asian nation other than conquering towards Europe? It seems like higher development only helps European provinces get the institution

You know how you get institution spread in a province for developing? You gotta keep developing until the bar maxes out and the institution becomes present in the province. Then it acts as its own center of renaissance/etc and spreads out from there. I did this in my current Korea game and got renaissance just a few years after it appeared in Europe.

It takes like ~2000 monarch points to do (make sure to develop an already fairly wealthy province, since you get +5 institution spread in a highly developed province as opposed to like +1 if it's a poo poo one) but if it's the renaissance/printing press and you won't see it for centuries in your region unless you do it, it's worth doing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ithle01 posted:

Sometimes the AI just goes nuts with development so it's possible that's what happened. As mentioned earlier in the thread high development areas get institutions faster so China tends to do very well for itself once they actually receive the institution in question. Economic ideas are now even more powerful.

I'd just like to point out here that even with a 100% or higher tech penalty the AI is only a couple mil techs behind me in my Japan game (where I've been sailing on 0% penalty for about 120 years now) so what the penalty means has less to do with 'your tech sucks' and more to do with 'your development sucks' because you're not plowing the excess monarch points into your country which is now actually something to consider important. Outside of admin tech of course, that will take a hit and then you'll get corruption but such is life.

Even if the provinces have really high development, the Renaissance won't spread there because they're not in Europe. The only way the Renaissance can spread outside Europe is by colonial nations or adjacent provinces.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Koramei posted:

You know how you get institution spread in a province for developing? You gotta keep developing until the bar maxes out and the institution becomes present in the province. Then it acts as its own center of renaissance/etc and spreads out from there. I did this in my current Korea game and got renaissance just a few years after it appeared in Europe.

It takes like ~2000 monarch points to do (make sure to develop an already fairly wealthy province, since you get +5 institution spread in a highly developed province as opposed to like +1 if it's a poo poo one) but if it's the renaissance/printing press and you won't see it for centuries in your region unless you do it, it's worth doing.

I wonder if something is weird about Korea in particular, like a province in the wrong region or something? Seems like there's a lot of Korea related shenanigans happening with Institutions.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

So AE concerns aside, what's the consensus on Rights of Man? The features list looks... alright, but :20bux: is a pretty steep asking price.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Even if the provinces have really high development, the Renaissance won't spread there because they're not in Europe. The only way the Renaissance can spread outside Europe is by colonial nations or adjacent provinces.

Uh, apparently you can get institutions even without bordering Euro countries? You can test it yourself. Play Ming, wait for Renaissance to spawn, click on Beijing's institutions tab. Watch as the Renaissance bar goes up when you develop the province. Yep.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Right that's why I said once it shows up it spreads quickly. It's possible the AI went on a development spree and forced it to happen all on its own and once that happens the chain reaction is fairly quick.

I'm also noticing that Korea is going crazy with developing too, maybe it's just because they're a small country that already contains its core culture group with a couple good provinces for cheap development that's forcing the AI into boosting one or two of its provinces into the 30+ range.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Uh, apparently you can get institutions even without bordering Euro countries? You can test it yourself. Play Ming, wait for Renaissance to spawn, click on Beijing's institutions tab. Watch as the Renaissance bar goes up when you develop the province. Yep.

Yeah, this works for all (?) institutions and nations. When you buy development in a province it slightly advances the institution, so if you dump a ton of points into one or a few provinces you can eventually get the Renaissance without waiting 150 years for it to spread on its own.

Not sure whether it's intended, seems rather gimmicky.

Edit: that means the optimal strategy would be to point dump into developing one province for every new institution so it can be your spreading center.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 13, 2016

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Does the amount of Institution gain you get from developing a province scale with how expensive the development is? It makes intuitive sense to dump points into, say, Beijing to make that your tech center but since dev cost grows pretty quickly it might be better to take a smaller province and start your Renaissance in that.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Does the amount of Institution gain you get from developing a province scale with how expensive the development is? It makes intuitive sense to dump points into, say, Beijing to make that your tech center but since dev cost grows pretty quickly it might be better to take a smaller province and start your Renaissance in that.

Yes it seems to scale with the existing development/cost. So going from 10-11 dev nets you a lot less institution progress than 20-21.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Okay, yea, I really like this system then. It's not really gimmicky either - you're still spending monarch points like you would with Westernization, but now its to develop your nation, and you don't need to always capture South Africa. Plus, since its a ticking malus, the tech modifier isn't quite so bad.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Okay, yea, I really like this system then. It's not really gimmicky either - you're still spending monarch points like you would with Westernization, but now its to develop your nation, and you don't need to always capture South Africa. Plus, since its a ticking malus, the tech modifier isn't quite so bad.
They stack. +50% from colonialism and you get the, say, +15% from not having printing press for a nice +65%. :shepicide:

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat
I havent played in a while, and I started a game as Ireland. I managed to get like 70% of the island, but England has the rest (and a chunk of Scotland). Now England has me as their rival, and I am kinda boned. France is weak, as are Castille/Aragon/Anyone.

So I tried expanding in to North America to get some more provinces. I got 5 cored... and then it turned in to a colonial state ;_; so I quit because I had been working (and spending a ton of money) trying to get those going, only to have them slip away from me.

Does anyone have any advice for this? I can't move my capital west without giving up all my (much bigger) provinces in Ireland. Part of me is thinking I could make subject nations out of all my irish states, move my capital, and then reannex them in 50 years? But maybe I can't, because my capital will be on a different continent and they'll be harder to befriend.

Ideas? I'm down for gamey solutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Poil posted:

They stack. +50% from colonialism and you get the, say, +15% from not having printing press for a nice +65%. :shepicide:

Sure, but in the old system you could start out with a 65% cost penalty, this one ticks up to it. You have time to course correct.

• Locked thread