Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Might as well repost this for the new thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

HEY GAL posted:

that's why it's bad, from beethoven to the 20th century music is just self-indulgent. you want something that's over the top without being eeeyuuuck? then lully or charpentier, deromanticism yourself and face to baroque

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

that's why it's bad, from beethoven to the 20th century music is just self-indulgent. you want something that's over the top without being eeeyuuuck? then lully or charpentier, deromanticism yourself and face to baroque
Luxury and "self-indulgent" grandiosity are acceptable when attempting to glorify the Lord and convey religious messaging! I don't think God's ever worried about being over the top when he appears in blinding flashes of light or blows people's minds with unfathomable majesty -shouldn't our praise reflect that?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GAL posted:

Whoa. Beethoven is modern to you? In Protestantism we have things like Hillsong and The David Crowder Band.

Here's every neo-Charismatic worship song ever.

*opening verse referencing a Psalm*

*oh yeah praise Him is rhymed with hands two times in the chorus*

*chorus repeats to make sure everyone figures out the lyrics*

*a reference to penal substitutionary atonement so the two members of the congregation who have memorized the entirety of Calvin's Institutes don't send us angry letters*

*chorus repeats seven more times*

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

e: ok, how on earth did that happen

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

Whoa. Beethoven is modern to you?
harmony is emotionally indulgent and i hate it

i hate it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
*drives by HEY GAL'S motte and bailey blasting the 9th symphony on speaker*

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

*drives by HEY GAL'S motte and bailey blasting the 9th symphony on speaker*

my response is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUpfKCr-DEI

(note how the first thing is kettledrums, then trumpets and shawms? it's meant to evoke mounted military things--the kettledrums and trumpets/shawms is the cavalry equivalent of the infantry's drums and flutes, in the 17th c)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

HEY GAL posted:

lol if u think bach didn't get a big ol stiffy writin those organ fugues

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lol if u think bach didn't get a big ol stiffy writin those organ fugues
fugues are good. harmony is not.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I was thinking it might be fun to do a Christianity Thread Secret Santa for Christmas. Unfortunately, the very first thing we'd have to do is decide when Christmas is and that's going to be difficult. :angel:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I was thinking it might be fun to do a Christianity Thread Secret Santa for Christmas. Unfortunately, the very first thing we'd have to do is decide when Christmas is and that's going to be difficult. :angel:

as one of the secular gremlins who has taken over the holiday and made it about crass consumerism, it's on the 25th of December

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
if we're posting music, wanna know how to make gregorian chant even more catholic? set it all polyphonic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wZud4MT3uw

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Thirteen Orphans posted:

:tfrxmas: but with incense and gilded skeletons

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Feast of St. Nicholas? Do we celebrate his feast on the same day?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Hmm, what's in this box? *literally gets crushed by torrent of icons*

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zonohedron posted:

Feast of St. Nicholas? Do we celebrate his feast on the same day?
nobody celebrates anything on the same day, we got different calendars

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

Sometimes Easter happens to fall on the same day! I didn't know if there were permanent 'coincidences' like that one :eng99:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Thirteen Orphans posted:

If you want to do it, I already run the ADTRW secret santa so it would be easy for me to run it

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zonohedron posted:

Sometimes Easter happens to fall on the same day! I didn't know if there were permanent 'coincidences' like that one :eng99:
that is because the algorithm you use and the algorithm we use are different, so different results with different calendars end up with the same day because the differences cancel out. with fixed feasts that won't happen

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Smoking Crow posted:

If you want to do it, I already run the ADTRW secret santa so it would be easy for me to run it

That would be awesome! I would volunteer as tribute but administration is not a skill I possess and I would feel terrible if someone got grinched because I'm an idiot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bel_Canto posted:

if we're posting music, wanna know how to make gregorian chant even more catholic? set it all polyphonic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wZud4MT3uw

Does Trans-Siberian Orchestra count as religious music? Because that's what my family listens to every Christmas.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Ceciltron posted:

For all of Mozart's Dies Irae's weight and intensity, Verdi's Dies Irae really showcases the sheer madness and terror that the day of wrath holds for the Earth. It's operatic, over the top, and perfect at doing what it does.

Verdi's Dies Irae is really good.

and it will always make me think of Victoria 1 because i'm mapgame nerd trash

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Where, when, and how is Christ present in the liturgy?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Empress Theonora posted:

and it will always make me think of Victoria 1 because i'm mapgame nerd trash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dok4wJ4pqo0

e: also Baba Yetu

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 14, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WerrWaaa posted:

Christ is present throughout the liturgy, in spirit. So are angels, who celebrate with the priest. Christ is present symbolically in the liturgy; for instance, the priest symbolizes him (in fact, the entire universe is present symbolically in the liturgy, and that is manifest in the architecture of the church, Rodrigo Diaz has a link to an article about that). Christ is present mystically in the flesh in the liturgy, in Communion.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

what's your policy on international stuff? me, metternich, jcdent, pidan, paladinus, my dad, etc

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HEY GAL posted:

The majority Orthodox churches* have adopted the Revised Julian calendar for fixed feasts which will be identical to the Gregorian calendar for almost three thousand years.

*doesn't mean the majority of Orthodox people

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAL posted:

what's your policy on international stuff? me, metternich, jcdent, pidan, paladinus, my dad, etc

Also, your policy for risking someone sending a full-size dane axe in the mail, tia

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAL posted:

I am in no position to be a secret santa to anyone, so count me out.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

my dad posted:

I am in no position to be a secret santa to anyone, so count me out.

Aww, we'll gift you anyway dude. I'm unemployed on my 12th year on and off, but I'll craft y'all some nice things.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
even a card with good wishes in it would be nice, this thread is about being good to one another

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

my response is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUpfKCr-DEI

(note how the first thing is kettledrums, then trumpets and shawms? it's meant to evoke mounted military things--the kettledrums and trumpets/shawms is the cavalry equivalent of the infantry's drums and flutes, in the 17th c)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=763FbNGdREA

This is called the kettledrum mass or Missa in tempore belli but people aren't really sure why:

Wikipedia posted:

This piece has been long thought to express an anti-war sentiment, even though there is no explicit message in the text itself, and no clear indication from Haydn that this was his intention. What is found in the score is a very unsettled nature to the music, not normally associated with Haydn, which has led scholars to the conclusion that it is anti-war in nature. This is especially noticed in the Benedictus and Agnus Dei. During the time of the composition of the Mass, the Austrian government had issued a decree in 1796, that "no Austrian should speak of peace until the enemy is driven back to its customary borders."[2] Whether this is enough to call it anti-war in nature is certainly debatable because most of the mass is of a lyrically joyful nature.

It's post Mozart though so not suitable for HEGEL.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Tias posted:

Aww, we'll gift you anyway dude. I'm unemployed on my 12th year on and off, but I'll craft y'all some nice things.

HEY GAL is getting a 28mm scale pikeman.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

WerrWaaa posted:

For Catholics, Christ is present in spirit as He is whenever Christians gather together in HIs name. He's also symbolically present in visual representation, since there's always a crucifix involved. He's symbolically present in the priest as well, who acts in persona Christi during the Liturgy of the Eucharist. Finally and most importantly, of course, He's fully and literally present, with His Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, in the Blessed Sacrament. Note that Catholics hold Christ to be fully present under both species of the Eucharist: I have a friend who has celiac disease and therefore can only receive under the form of wine, but we hold that he fully receives the Body of Christ as well when he does so. The same would hold true for somebody who, perhaps because of past struggles with alcohol, only wants to receive under the form of bread: that person would still receive the Blood of Christ, even though Latin Rite Catholics don't practice communion by intinction.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

zonohedron posted:

Feast of St. Nicholas?

That's when six to eight Dutch people show up on your doorstep to explain how Zwarte Piet is totally not racist

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Bel_Canto posted:

For Catholics, Christ is present in spirit as He is whenever Christians gather together in HIs name. He's also symbolically present in visual representation, since there's always a crucifix involved. He's symbolically present in the priest as well, who acts in persona Christi during the Liturgy of the Eucharist. Finally and most importantly, of course, He's fully and literally present, with His Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, in the Blessed Sacrament. Note that Catholics hold Christ to be fully present under both species of the Eucharist: I have a friend who has celiac disease and therefore can only receive under the form of wine, but we hold that he fully receives the Body of Christ as well when he does so. The same would hold true for somebody who, perhaps because of past struggles with alcohol, only wants to receive under the form of bread: that person would still receive the Blood of Christ, even though Latin Rite Catholics don't practice communion by intinction.

Most churches here only offer communion with a wafer/eucharist-the wine is only taken by the priest. I assume it also covers situations like this.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Hoover Dam posted:

That's when six to eight Dutch people show up on your doorstep to explain how Zwarte Piet is totally not racist

Glad thing we never had people of color in my country, no racist tradition.

Except for dressing up as a gypsy for... the celebration of winter's end. I dunno how you amrikki call it or even if you do it, seeing how USA is large and full of strange climate places.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

JcDent posted:

Glad thing we never had people of color in my country, no racist tradition.

Except for dressing up as a gypsy for... the celebration of winter's end. I dunno how you amrikki call it or even if you do it, seeing how USA is large and full of strange climate places.

Right, celebrating the end of winter is weird when there's parts of the US where it snows in June and parts of the US where it not only doesn't snow, it never even gets cold enough to try. So we don't do that. Our "dress up in racist costumes" holiday is Thanksgiving, when a bunch of white kids make feather headdresses out of construction paper and vests out of grocery bags and pretend to be Native Americans sharing food with their best friends the Pilgrims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Ceciltron posted:

Most churches here only offer communion with a wafer/eucharist-the wine is only taken by the priest. I assume it also covers situations like this.

That's because of codified tradition: Communion sub utraque specie, i.e. both bread and wine had grown rare for various reasons (most prominently practical ones: back then laypeople received Communion only a couple of times throughout the year, and the number of communicants was so large during those days that people were afraid of accidentally spilling the wine) already by the Middle Ages. The Council of Constance forbade giving the chalice to laypeople in 1415 as a reaction to the Hussite demand that Communion under both kinds should in fact be made obligatory, though the moderate Hussite faction of the Utraquists eventually reunited with Rome and gained the special privilege of receiving both Flesh and Blood. (As an aside, the Holy Roman Emperor kept the privilege of receiving sub utraque on special days throughout the year, as did the King of France on the days of his coronation and on his deathbed. The Austro-Hungarian monarchs kept the privilege of receiving the chalice on Maundy Thurday until 1918!). The Second Vatican Council repealed the ban of Constance, encouraging Catholics instead to receive both Flesh and Blood when possible. This seems to be one of the liturgical reforms of V2 that didn't really make it, though: in my experience (as in yours apparently) the vast majority of parishes don't bother with that, giving out both only on Maundy Thursday or on other special occasions.

Due to the historical aversion towards giving the chalice to the laity, Catholic theologians developed the doctrine of "concomitance" which means what Bel Canto said: no matter which one of the Eucharistic species you receive, Christ is wholly present in both, so receiving only the bread (or only the wine) is absolutely sufficient

• Locked thread