Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Correct - I did vinyl wrap for the chrome delete.

I really like grey and always have. I'm a painter and I tend to do alot of black/grey with a pop of color here and there but maybe it's just a personality thing. I loathe red cars :P Variety makes the world go round, though. I aint gonna hate. I think if I ever went crazy and wanted to blow a ton of money on a paint job i'd do a blue and purple duochrome.

BMW is kind of entertaining right now. I've seen some weird blues and pinky reds that i think are stock colors around lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

bull3964 posted:

It's because cars are appliances and the yellow or bright orange vehicle sits on the lots longer than all the boring colors.

In summation, cars are boring colors because drivers are boring people.

Not really, they just don't fetishize cars the way enthusiasts do. It's possible to be an interesting person and not give a poo poo about cars.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
This just in, having a car that isn't black/white/silver, is a fetish :rolleyes:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

io_burn posted:

How much does a good quality wrap costs these days anyway?

Something like $2k I think.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

blugu64 posted:

This just in, having a car that isn't black/white/silver, is a fetish :rolleyes:

ManFuckingExhaust.jpg

But seriously, if you haven't encountered the word used in that sense I don't know what to tell you. I imagine everyone here, you included, knew exactly what it meant.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ola posted:

Something like $2k I think.

Depends where you live. A full wrap in the Seattle metro area is around 8k.
Portland it runs around 5k.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

Whoa! In Norway, which is usually the most expensive at everything, it's 20-25k NOK, which is $2400-3000. I suppose material choice makes a difference as well, but vinyl wrap material itself isn't that expensive.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The only thing I'm enthusiastic/fetishist about is EV technology, I am not a car person by any means. I just want a car with a weird quirky color because I'm weird and quirky or at least just really like bright colors, not because I'd gently caress an exhaust pipe :confused:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

silicone thrills posted:

Christ. You could literally save thousands by driving anywhere in the country to have it done at a better price.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
We were specifically pricing out full body matte/stealth wraps so maybe it's something to do with that specific flavor?

So for the announcement on the 17th... i'm going to bet on coat hooks in the Tesla S :P (seriously, for a car that throws your head back against the headrest, there's seriously no "oh poo poo" handles)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
I'm suspecting something with autopilot. Probably v2 announcement, since software v8 is about as far as they can go with gen 1 hardware.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm going with bankruptcy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Godholio posted:

Christ. You could literally save thousands by driving anywhere in the country to have it done at a better price.

I'm planning to wrap my motorcycle, and I'm going to try to do it myself, because (1) it's only three painted pieces (the gas tank, front fender, and rear fairing) and (2) it's only going to cost like 40 dollars of the most expensive fancy car-wrapping vinyl there us, so I could gently caress it up like five times and still come out ahead of the price to have a pro do it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ilkhan posted:

I'm suspecting something with autopilot. Probably v2 announcement, since software v8 is about as far as they can go with gen 1 hardware.

ugh please no please please please

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

it has to be wireless charging. The mercedes S550e is going to have wireless charging. tesla can't afford not to.

the tesla/solar city announcement the week after is going to be integration with a co-branded solar city/tesla powerwall/solar panel system so you put a panel on your roof, powerwall in your garage, and charging pad on the floor and you never have to plug your car in or pay for the power to charge it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes, much better.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
And the 90kWh powerwall and ~9kW solar array can be had for the low price of only $another_tesla!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wireless charging is dumb.

We have the sensors and actuators necessary for the car and charger to make a direct, metal‐to‐metal connection.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Powershift posted:

it has to be wireless charging. The mercedes S550e is going to have wireless charging. tesla can't afford not to.

the tesla/solar city announcement the week after is going to be integration with a co-branded solar city/tesla powerwall/solar panel system so you put a panel on your roof, powerwall in your garage, and charging pad on the floor and you never have to plug your car in or pay for the power to charge it.
Could be. I thought I saw a post somewhere that said it was AP related, confirmed by an engineer somewhere.

But he did say it was an unexpected announcement, and wireless charging would fit that for sure.

Wireless, snake, whatever. Long as you get power without having to manually plug in it'll be amazing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Platystemon posted:

Wireless charging is dumb.

We have the sensors and actuators necessary for the car and charger to make a direct, metal‐to‐metal connection.

Wireless means fewer moving parts to fail, and less worry about things like snow or dirt impairing the connection. (Or the robot arm stabbing someone.)

I think the battery in the 90D is about $30K USD, and theoretically the powerwall is less constrained in terms of weight and layout, so I think that's a rough ceiling.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

And the 90kWh powerwall and ~9kW solar array can be had for the low price of only $another_tesla!

I would imagine they've done the research and figured most owners don't drain their battery past 75% in a day, so a 25kwh powerwall and 2.5kw solar panel shouldn't cost a whole lot. It might even pay for itself in 35 or 40 years.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Doesn't wireless charging also come with some major downsides? They tend to be much worse off efficiency wise, and at that scale the loss of efficiency could quickly translate into real dollars. There is also the issue of much slower charging when you are using a wireless system versus wired.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Plugless does L2 wireless charging (7.2kW measured at the car). I don't know what the efficiency is; I'll send a note and ask.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

Plugless does L2 wireless charging (7.2kW measured at the car). I don't know what the efficiency is; I'll send a note and ask.

Just found this in their FAQ: Plugless is ~12% less efficient than corded L2 30amp 240V charging systems and ~7% less efficient than corded Level 1 charging systems.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Shadowgate posted:

Just found this in their FAQ: Plugless is ~12% less efficient than corded L2 30amp 240V charging systems and ~7% less efficient than corded Level 1 charging systems.

So if 85 kWh costs $10, it's like paying someone a dollar to plug in your car (per full charge). And when you also consider that it'll be more expensive to install, require heavy and expensive hardware in the car and possibly waste space in the garage, I am convinced I'd go for a normal cable at home. But if the car supported it anyway, it would be a cool and convenient thing at a mall or service center or something.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I can't help thinking that while on paper, inductive charging for your EV sounds pretty neato, in actual practice it would be super annoying and quickly abandoned, because it turns out the entire structure of your house resonates at the same frequency as the inductor, your TV goes all weird during a charge cycle, and the back voltage from the field collapsing every time the cat crawls under the car and it emergency shut-downs to avoid cooking the poor thing trips the main breaker every time.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

I can't help thinking that while on paper, inductive charging for your EV sounds pretty neato, in actual practice it would be super annoying and quickly abandoned, because it turns out the entire structure of your house resonates at the same frequency as the inductor, your TV goes all weird during a charge cycle, and the back voltage from the field collapsing every time the cat crawls under the car and it emergency shut-downs to avoid cooking the poor thing trips the main breaker every time.

This company has been selling these things for a while and I don't think it has any of these problems: https://www.pluglesspower.com/

I'd much rather have inductive charging standard in all EVs and be able to just drive into EV charging spots and not have to fuss with all the bullshit you currently do (EVGO why does your garbage online system only work on loving IE and why does my fob NEVER WORK AND I HAVE TO CALL TO UPDATE BILLING EVERY TIME :argh: ok inductive charging wouldn't fix that) at public places but that seems like it'd be prohibitively expensive for many that are struggling to maintain too few plug chargers as it is. Maybe it'd be less maintenance costs though? :shrug:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

This company has been selling these things for a while and I don't think it has any of these problems: https://www.pluglesspower.com/

I'd much rather have inductive charging standard in all EVs and be able to just drive into EV charging spots and not have to fuss with all the bullshit you currently do (EVGO why does your garbage online system only work on loving IE and why does my fob NEVER WORK AND I HAVE TO CALL TO UPDATE BILLING EVERY TIME :argh: ok inductive charging wouldn't fix that) at public places but that seems like it'd be prohibitively expensive for many that are struggling to maintain too few plug chargers as it is. Maybe it'd be less maintenance costs though? :shrug:

It would be great for public stalls, especially from a maintenance perspective I'd think. But home charging, well I'm sure it's fine, but I just picture it being like "yay, newly installed wireless charger! Just pull my car over the pad, and, green light, wow it's charging!"
*DOoooooooooooooooo*
"huh, makes a little humming noise, but that's fine, it's in the garage."
*goes inside*
ooooooooooooooooooooooo.....
*goes to bed in quiet bedroom situated above the garage*
....oooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOO

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I just kinda want to know what 10 kilowatts of focused RF does to stuff caught in the gap between the inductors.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Sagebrush posted:

I just kinda want to know what 10 kilowatts of focused RF does to stuff caught in the gap between the inductors.

There's already plenty of induction stoves out there to test with + im sure cats have run between the plugless in the past. Most because cats love to hide in places that are super annoying to get them out from.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sagebrush posted:

They respond very quickly to inquiries through the thing on their site, you could ask.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

They respond very quickly to inquiries through the thing on their site, you could ask.

I just did. I'll let you know.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sagebrush posted:

I just did. I'll let you know.

Ashley will be in touch with you shortly!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe we could attempt to “charge” ICE vehicles that are parked in EV‐only spaces.

I’ve changed my mind. Wireless charging is a great idea.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why can't a robotic arm just plug in my car?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

Doubtful, wireless charging a Tesla would take forever at 3.3kW.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Sagebrush posted:

If you watch the video in this piece you'll see what happens. A mechanic chucks a wrench onto the charging pad while the i8 is getting g juiced up: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/04/cutting-the-cord-ars-goes-hands-on-with-qualcomm-halo-wireless-car-charging/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drgitlin posted:

Doubtful, wireless charging a Tesla would take forever at 3.3kW.

Plugless does L2/7.8kW, which is what most people get anyway, right?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Subjunctive posted:

Plugless does L2/7.8kW, which is what most people get anyway, right?

Not in that BMW video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
They told me it would do 3.3kW and also 6.3kW (iirc, something that started with a 6); the info should be in that article.

• Locked thread