Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That's almost how it works, just gotta make everyone log in with their userid# instead of name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
What's the mod ruling on niche secret-santa planning? New thread, or keep it in the established megathread?

Specifically interested in running an exchange for the Fountain Pen Thread which isn't a lightning fast thread, but isn't quiet either.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pixelante posted:

What's the mod ruling on niche secret-santa planning? New thread, or keep it in the established megathread?

Specifically interested in running an exchange for the Fountain Pen Thread which isn't a lightning fast thread, but isn't quiet either.

Buy me a pen and it's allowed.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Do mods/admins have any sort of timeline as to when the forums are moving to xenforo?

It seems like such a crazy undertaking, I can't imagine it would be anytime soon :psyduck:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Pixelante posted:

New thread works better. Gets more new eyes on it than burying it in the megathread.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Do mods/admins have any sort of timeline as to when the forums are moving to xenforo?

It seems like such a crazy undertaking, I can't imagine it would be anytime soon :psyduck:

For obviously self-serving reasons, I hope things stay stable over most of the holidays. It's nice to have a point of shared shadenfreude when everyone around you is doing Christmas stuff and you're (I'm) just eating deli turkey in pajamas with Netflix and a cat.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 11, 2016

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
So what is the deal with <deleted user>? Like from this post?

The only thing I could think of is relating to the last sentence in this paragraph from the SA Privacy Policy

quote:

Part III. Access to Information
Something Awful LLC maintains the accuracy of our information by filling out free privacy policy templates on the Internet, and changing some words to make it "funny." Users may access their own personal information and contact us about inaccuracies they may find. You can email me at webmaster@somethingawful.com if you're really hard up about it. Users may delete their information from our database by getting their dumb asses banned.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think it's be a fair while away

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Julias posted:

So what is the deal with <deleted user>? Like from this post?

The only thing I could think of is relating to the last sentence in this paragraph from the SA Privacy Policy

I believe that's what banning used to be. Just Lowtax deleting the user like they're Brother Nero.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Shine posted:

I believe that's what banning used to be. Just Lowtax deleting the user like they're Brother Nero.

Way back in the dark ages before input sanity checking some people had accidental or intentional malicious code in their usernames. The one that really stand out was someone with username ".", which it turned out was also the default null placeholder in the blocked user list.

Cue forums being effectively down for two weeks as the servers poo poo themselves trying to conceal his existence from literally every other user on every page load.

E: well that dosen't sound too different from hellbanning, the issue may have instead been an overflowed "xyz users have ignored this jerk" counter. W/e, username was still the root cause.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 11, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:allears:

Radium.

fake edit: Huh. I would have expected :radium: to exist, but I guess not.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

my dad posted:

:allears:

Radium.

fake edit: Huh. I would have expected :radium: to exist, but I guess not.

there used to be a lobster emote, iirc, and a thread tag as well.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Do the mods know how many people have any given poster on ignore?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Gimbal lock posted:

Mods definitely don't. I know at some level (either admins or perhaps just ZDR-level) it's possible to see a user's ignore list (see: Proudlegion). The only things mods get to see that users don't, are mod forums, and certain mod/admin actions. Probations that are approved go in the leper's colon for everyone to see, but mods can see probations that were declined / rescinded, as well as mod/admin-requested custom title changes. We don't see anything for purchased title changes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gimbal lock posted:

In the posting glory hole there's a list of the top 100 most ignored users.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/stats.php?statid=4&all=#jump

Before he was an IK in the election forum, fishmech had the dubious honor of multiple accounts in the top 20. Now only his Nintendo Kid alt remains on the list.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Happyelf's still got 2 in the top 15.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I'm still in the top 40 of that list, and I've been a mod for ages.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I keep forgetting the gloryhole exists :downs:

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

zen death robot posted:

I can fix that
But then I wouldn't have the amusing story of how I got there! (I think I got as high as top 5.)

Story: Years ago, SA introduced the ability to buy intra-forums ads for a cheaper price than the normal banner ads. A... friend from high school decided to buy this hideous flashing pink banner which linked directly to my "ignore this user" link. When someone pointed this banner ad out to radium in the thread he posted for feedback on the new ad prices, he realized that probably shouldn't be allowed, and fixed it for future purchases, but in typical radium fashion he didn't fix the existing banner ad (so it ran for the full month or whatever). Several hundred people clicked it, as you can see from the Posting Gloryhole page. I like to believe that some of those people later became puzzled as to why they had a mod on their ignore list (I haven't been tracking the exact count so I don't know if it's decreased over time).

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Patrick Spens posted:

Happyelf's still got 2 in the top 15.

what did he do?

Incoherence posted:

But then I wouldn't have the amusing story of how I got there! (I think I got as high as top 5.)

Story: Years ago, SA introduced the ability to buy intra-forums ads for a cheaper price than the normal banner ads. A... friend from high school decided to buy this hideous flashing pink banner which linked directly to my "ignore this user" link. When someone pointed this banner ad out to radium in the thread he posted for feedback on the new ad prices, he realized that probably shouldn't be allowed, and fixed it for future purchases, but in typical radium fashion he didn't fix the existing banner ad (so it ran for the full month or whatever). Several hundred people clicked it, as you can see from the Posting Gloryhole page. I like to believe that some of those people later became puzzled as to why they had a mod on their ignore list (I haven't been tracking the exact count so I don't know if it's decreased over time).

lol

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Hogge Wild posted:

what did he do?

happyelf was a D&D poster who was primarily active around 2007 or so. He was a tightly compacted ball of rage, and used to get into arguments with people in D&D a lot. Plus he was pretty far to the left for D&D at the time, and was known for being fairly anti-Israel & pro-Palestine, to the point where the :happyelf: emoticon is named after him.

However, enough people got tired of his posting in D&D that there were several banner campaigns were launched to get people to add him to their ignore lists, which largely succeeded.

He's been permabanned banned since 2011 or so, however.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

To such a degree that he may have actually been Arafat.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Incoherence posted:

Praise Radium, may his glory be remembered forever.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Instant Sunrise posted:

happyelf was a D&D poster who was primarily active around 2007 or so. He was a tightly compacted ball of rage, and used to get into arguments with people in D&D a lot. Plus he was pretty far to the left for D&D at the time, and was known for being fairly anti-Israel & pro-Palestine, to the point where the :happyelf: emoticon is named after him.

However, enough people got tired of his posting in D&D that there were several banner campaigns were launched to get people to add him to their ignore lists, which largely succeeded.

He came back and posted in Trad Games for a while as Catastropost, where he was a tightly compacted ball of rage that got into arguments with people a lot.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Instant Sunrise posted:

FactsAreUseless posted:

He came back and posted in Trad Games for a while as Catastropost, where he was a tightly compacted ball of rage that got into arguments with people a lot.

haha, sounds like effectronica

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I'm pretty sure they both posted in D&D around the same time, and I distinctly remember Effectronica being way more reasonable.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
To this day Effectronica is the only poster on my ignore list so the idea of someone being less reasonable than him is hilarious.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
Where is McCaine and where are his pictures?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

FactsAreUseless posted:

When I read the other person's post and they were talking about D&D, I didn't realize they meant Debate and Discussion.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Has anyone ever taken the reverse gas chamber challenge? The one that Ralp has stickied in there?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Has anyone ever taken the reverse gas chamber challenge? The one that Ralp has stickied in there?

I remember a CineD thread that was resurrected, but I can't remember what it was about.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Gay as a pejorative.

Firstly, context matters a very great deal. And the audience matters a very great deal too. But this is actually a very important issue. Growing up as a young adolescent within an environment that openly mocks a core part of who you are as a person, is super not healthy. Obviously I am talking about this post.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

Its not okay. If I could report the post, I would have. Instead I am posting here for want of what to do. The fact that there was no intent of harm, isn't sufficient. The fact that people reading the post will associate being gay as "bad", is not a good thing. Audience matters and this went to a lot of people.

It needs to be flagged and I am that moron who is flagging it. Literally the person who is in control of this whole forum but it needs to be done.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
While we're on the subject, is the n word okay word to post or not? What if, when called out for it, a poster claims that they're black? Asking for a friend.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

BattleMoose posted:

Gay as a pejorative.

Firstly, context matters a very great deal. And the audience matters a very great deal too. But this is actually a very important issue. Growing up as a young adolescent within an environment that openly mocks a core part of who you are as a person, is super not healthy. Obviously I am talking about this post.

Its not okay. If I could report the post, I would have. Instead I am posting here for want of what to do. The fact that there was no intent of harm, isn't sufficient. The fact that people reading the post will associate being gay as "bad", is not a good thing. Audience matters and this went to a lot of people.

It needs to be flagged and I am that moron who is flagging it. Literally the person who is in control of this whole forum but it needs to be done.

Sounds like something that belongs in QCS, tbh.. Also :laffo: that you get offended over something as dumb and minor as that.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
I am not offended by it. If you think its an issue of offence, I suggest you reread my post.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I thought the "dead gay x" meme was a reference to the movie Heathers

Whether it's actually homophobic or not could be debated, I guess

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

someone awful. posted:

I thought the "dead gay x" meme was a reference to the movie Heathers

I also thought this.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

BattleMoose posted:

Gay as a pejorative.

Lowtax isn't black either, but he uses a black man as an av, and that is called "blackface", and it's very racist.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

BattleMoose posted:

Gay as a pejorative.

Please quit being a human being(since you'll get offended, the kind Louis CK talks about).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Ralp posted:

There were at least a dozen winners, sometimes I posted congrats in the thread after two days were up but it wasn't a big announcement because it's a pretty boring event. The "prize" is just... not being banned?

There were almost as many entries disqualified, usually because the thread had been archived while in the gas chamber and couldn't be moved out of it.

Not a single thread ever lost and no one was ever banned. The closest thing to a loss was one time someone wanted to enter with a thread I had just gassed, and he or she wanted to ungas it to QCS which only I moderated at the time, so I just said no I'm not going to let you enter because I would immediately gas it again and you would lose, so please just stay unbanned.

• Locked thread