Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

300 hours in and on my third play through and I just noticed that if you dismount in a village, you can usually find Roach feeding himself in a hay trough somewhere. The detail in this game really puts other games/developers to loving shame. Like....that doesn't even need to be there, no one would have cared or said a word. But loving CDPR isn't standing idly by while your faithful mount goes hungry, no sir! Goddamn.

Edit: for what it's worth I just finished W1 again and I poo poo you not it was my 17th play through. I can never not love that game or play it once a year. I don't even mind the swamps. First thing I do is round up all the monster contracts and finish them off as quickly as possible for money and to open all the map so the actually side quests are easy as hell to get through.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Philosopher King posted:

I'm a dirty rotten exploiter who just got the GOTY recently and it seems that all the ways people got all that gold they needed for the various witcher gear upgrades and runecrafting and what not have been patched out. Is there any method left that I can use to make tons of money because I don't see making enough in the long run without a major grind.
The beehive glitch still works despite all the patches. Google it and just use that.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Holy poo poo I'm embarrassed to say I just noticed something else. Every map marker and town, in the world map had a little blurb about the history or a description of that town. Did you know that Mulbrydale is one of the oldest villages and named due to a dumb rear end botanist and couldn't tell different trees apart, naming them all Mulberry trees? Holy Christ!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can I just say that since starting Blood & Wine I have come to hate crafting, because I have given that rear end in a top hat Lafargue so much money and still he wants more

I feel like an addict, because I spend all my money getting a billion enriched dimeritium ingots made, then have to run around and do some odd jobs while not eating for a few days to save up a few crowns, then find myself staggering back into the grandmaster smith shop to spend it all on more enriched dimeritium and infused slyzard hide so that maybe, just maybe, one day I'll be able to get myself some slightly fancier Cat School gear. Meanwhile my house is falling all to pieces because I can't afford to get it renovated due to my crafting habit. I just gotta get my fix.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Holy poo poo I'm embarrassed to say I just noticed something else. Every map marker and town, in the world map had a little blurb about the history or a description of that town. Did you know that Mulbrydale is one of the oldest villages and named due to a dumb rear end botanist and couldn't tell different trees apart, naming them all Mulberry trees? Holy Christ!

I could swear that this feature was added in in a subsequent patch at some point, I feel like I don't remember it being in the game at launch. Or maybe I just missed it!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ainsley McTree posted:

I could swear that this feature was added in in a subsequent patch at some point, I feel like I don't remember it being in the game at launch. Or maybe I just missed it!

When they overhauled the map screen they made it more noticeable.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I'm new to the Witcher series and sitting at like level 5 and futzing about in the early stages of Velen. Tell me that I should actually just back away from big-rear end monsters instead of using cheap, time-consuming tactics to kill them. Or is this one of those games that gives you a massive bonus for killing things over twice your level?

You dumbass ant-scorpion warrior, I can spam signs all day and then retreat beyond your patrol range, but please don't make me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

I'm new to the Witcher series and sitting at like level 5 and futzing about in the early stages of Velen. Tell me that I should actually just back away from big-rear end monsters instead of using cheap, time-consuming tactics to kill them. Or is this one of those games that gives you a massive bonus for killing things over twice your level?

You dumbass ant-scorpion warrior, I can spam signs all day and then retreat beyond your patrol range, but please don't make me.

Do not do this.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Digirat posted:

Do not do this.

Thank god.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The leveling is mostly from major side quests and main story quests. You're not going to reasonably grind at all by just killing stuff unless it's a hunt.

As for money, equipment loot scales so the random hobos you kill at level 40 will sell swords that empty most merchants and also probably be better than your actual sword.

(I skipped crafting entirely in Witcher 3 and the game was still easy, don't worry about it).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

mlmp08 posted:

Tell me that I should actually just back away from big-rear end monsters instead of using cheap, time-consuming tactics to kill them.
You should actually just back away from big-rear end monsters instead of using cheap, time-consuming tactics to kill them.

"Enemies far higher level than you - marked by red skulls - aren't really worth fighting. Even if you manage to defeat them, the reward is either going to be something you can't use at your level, or scaled to your level and thus worse than it would be if you got it a few levels later."

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I'm also just about to start with the Witcher 3 as I picked up an Xbox One a couple of weeks ago. I played a few hours of the first game and never played #2. Is there some kind of beginners guide I should check out to know what to focus on early in the game?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fists Up posted:

I'm also just about to start with the Witcher 3 as I picked up an Xbox One a couple of weeks ago. I played a few hours of the first game and never played #2. Is there some kind of beginners guide I should check out to know what to focus on early in the game?
Depending on what you mean by "focus on", I wrote a thing.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

All the loot is random and level-scaled so paradoxically the chest guarded by scary ant-scorpion warrior will give shittier loot if you beat him at level 5 than if you come back when you're the "appropriate" level. Not worth it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pellisworth posted:

All the loot is random and level-scaled so paradoxically the chest guarded by scary ant-scorpion warrior will give shittier loot if you beat him at level 5 than if you come back when you're the "appropriate" level. Not worth it.

Not to mention that high level (relative to you) enemies are worse damage sponges than bosses in a Borderlands fps. Like, if you want to tack on 15 hours to your gameplay experience, just fight one level 30 enemy when you're level 8.

This (alongside level-gated items) is the biggest shitfest in Witcher 3. Those and durability. And weight limits. The latter two I think was a terrible design choice, but I can understand them wanting the former two to sorta help keep things on track, even if it sucks.

Luckily, those are pretty much the only bad things about the vanilla game, which is incredible.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 14, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Killing monsters above your level is completely doable until they are 6 levels above you, because that's the point where the game artificially makes them almost unkillable without abusing signs/instakills

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mlmp08 posted:

Thank god.

Unless you have stacked your points into Alchemy. At high levels, Alchemy will let you take on whole armies or enemies several levels higher than you. I think the highest I got was a Basilisk or a Cockatrice that was 11-12 levels higher than I was and I beat it into the ground.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I bought this a while ago and really just got through the tutorial, actually getting into it now and it's fantastic, but one question.

Novigrad Spoilers:

I decided to do the romance stuff with Triss because I dunno, she seems cool, helped save a bunch of mages from the not-inquisition and had like, 3 fingernails ripped out to help save Ciri, but I've heard that if you try to do it with both Triss and Yeneffer, it apparently locks you out of both of them or something? And it's been so long since I played the beginning of the game, which is the last time I remember seeing Yennefer. So I don't know what my choices were then.

So, could I have made a choice back with Yennefer at the start that's already locked me in as "romancing" her, and thus I've doomed Geralt by doing both at once? Or is that an option I'll get later?

Also Water Hags suck and I hate them.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The game only considers it a commitment if you say I love you. Everything else is fine, up to and including banging.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

LordHippoman posted:

I bought this a while ago and really just got through the tutorial, actually getting into it now and it's fantastic, but one question.

Novigrad Spoilers:

I decided to do the romance stuff with Triss because I dunno, she seems cool, helped save a bunch of mages from the not-inquisition and had like, 3 fingernails ripped out to help save Ciri, but I've heard that if you try to do it with both Triss and Yeneffer, it apparently locks you out of both of them or something? And it's been so long since I played the beginning of the game, which is the last time I remember seeing Yennefer. So I don't know what my choices were then.

So, could I have made a choice back with Yennefer at the start that's already locked me in as "romancing" her, and thus I've doomed Geralt by doing both at once? Or is that an option I'll get later?

Also Water Hags suck and I hate them.
Choosing Yen will come later and it will be made pretty clear that it's happening. In fact you can do a lot of things that would count as romancing (like kissing Triss in the garden) but your choice is recognized only after very specific dialogue answers that don't leave much doubt about Geralt commiting himself. Pursuing both has...consequences. Also only Yen/Triss romance counts here, you can romance other women with no consequences.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

Choosing Yen will come later and it will be made pretty clear that it's happening. In fact you can do a lot of things that would count as romancing (like kissing Triss in the garden) but your choice is recognized only after very specific dialogue answers that don't leave much doubt about Geralt commiting himself. Pursuing both has...consequences. Also only Yen/Triss romance counts here, you can romance other women with no consequences.

I did always wonder if triss minded Gerald's crippling sex addiction in my playthrough. Lol sorry babe I know I only popped out for milk but I bumped into that doctor I know and kind of boned her then visited the whorehouse on the way home, oh that's cool? good stuff.* It's a good loving job witchers can't get the clap.

*you loving dare even look at that yen slut though so help me god

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

ThomasPaine posted:

I did always wonder if triss minded Gerald's crippling sex addiction in my playthrough. Lol sorry babe I know I only popped out for milk but I bumped into that doctor I know and kind of boned her then visited the whorehouse on the way home, oh that's cool? good stuff.* It's a good loving job witchers can't get the clap.

About that - there's a quest where Yen waits for Geralt in a brothel and you can hire a prostitute standing right next to her. The icing on the cake is that when you come back afterwards from upstairs Geralt would only be left in his underpants and Yen would go 'I'm waiting for you, can we get on with the mission'.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

"....I found your card collection, Geralt"

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I thought the reason they weren't making new witchers was because it was a lost art. You need a witcher who knows how to do the witchery part of the trial of the grasses, and also a Mage that knows the special magic part. Recently most of the witchers and mages in the world died, so it's next to impossible to get this combo of people together.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Vesimir was not the Witcher in charge of the mutagens, he was only the swordmaster of Kaer Morhen. Geralt, Eskel and any other surviving Wolf School witchers were on The Path at the time of the massacre, but everyone else was slaughtered.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Moose-Alini posted:

I thought the reason they weren't making new witchers was because it was a lost art. You need a witcher who knows how to do the witchery part of the trial of the grasses, and also a Mage that knows the special magic part. Recently most of the witchers and mages in the world died, so it's next to impossible to get this combo of people together.

That's the Wolf School, there is not a ton of mentions about other schools. The world is a big place and it sure seems the Witchers are not completely uncommon if people still put up notices for them.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Witchers are mostly used by poor people because the wealthy generally speaking now have small armies and mercenaries that can do the job that witchers have historically done. Then there's the fact that monsters are mostly a rural problem as human settlements have expanded outwards.

Ainsley McTree posted:

"....I found your card collection, Geralt"
"...and I'm not talking about your Skellige deck."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ThomasPaine posted:

I was having minimap aphasia and couldn't find yen, and finally I gave up and said oh well I'm in a whorehouse, might as well get whored!

Then I came down in my undies and she had been sitting at a table the whole time lol

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's not like Yen is faithful to Geralt.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Hm.. Is there a bug with critical hit damage? My character stats say I do 826 fast attack damage and only 1376 crit damage, even though I have the skill that gives +25% crit damage per light armor piece and the full feline set.

Joda fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 14, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Lone Badger posted:

It's not like Yen is faithful to Geralt.

Who is she bangin' in the game that's not Geralt?

idgas about the books.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

each of the trolls

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

each of the trolls

Wham-a-Wham-Bam-Thank-You-Ma'am.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
my favorite troll moment is when Geralt challenges the trolls to a riddle contest to rescue Hjalmar's friend, and they get it completely right. they're just too dumb to realize Geralt's lying to them when he says they got it wrong

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well they gave a correct answer, it's just that geralt was thinking of "breath"

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

my favorite troll moment is when Geralt challenges the trolls to a riddle contest to rescue Hjalmar's friend, and they get it completely right. they're just too dumb to realize Geralt's lying to them when he says they got it wrong

Wait, is this in the part where you choose to help Hjalmar instead of Cerys after the bear-saccre? Because I don't remember that at all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No its during the quest where you save hjalmar's friend to help fight the giant of undvik.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Wow, okay. I always came in on that quest as his friend lay dead and he was looking for bandages for him. I guess I keep arriving too late because I'm a bad witcher. :(

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Depending on what you mean by "focus on", I wrote a thing.

Thanks for this guide. The mods are super helpful. I just started and I really just want to fast travel everywhere and never repair my poo poo because I am always low on cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

DelphiAegis posted:

Wow, okay. I always came in on that quest as his friend lay dead and he was looking for bandages for him. I guess I keep arriving too late because I'm a bad witcher. :(

Not that friend, the other friend with the bow.