Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

"In this game there are always many things for you to do, and you never have enough time to do them or stuff to do them with"

Perfect review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Elth posted:

Seeing how most of the aliens are simply cloned en masse, presumably from a master copy that suits that particular role, the need for differing genders for reproductive purposes seems moot.

That said, now it seems even weirder that not only do vipers have breasts (maybe from incorporating human DNA as they did for sectoids?), but they retain their ability to breed with the viper king. Or that there's even a viper king in the first place (how did Vahlen even find these guys?). Are some species bred rather than cloned? Life finds a way?
Vahlen probably just adjusted regular snakewomen so that they'd be fertile for REASONS.

And maybe the aliens kept a viable breeding host around for reasons - possibly research or cloning improvements. And their ship crashed also for reasons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Veloxyll posted:

Vahlen probably just adjusted regular snakewomen so that they'd be fertile for REASONS.

And maybe the aliens kept a viable breeding host around for reasons - possibly research or cloning improvements. And their ship crashed also for reasons.

The viper autopsy mentions that the "breasts" are the viper's venom glands and sacs, expelled by muscular contraction.

Of course it's still just an excuse to have snake women with tits.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Onmi posted:

I doubt it, I got a mission where bodies were found inside tubes in a ship that's implied to have been the Furies since you didn't save them.

I remember the French lady because she has a rescue mission dedicated to her but I don't remember the furies at all.

Cythereal posted:

The viper autopsy mentions that the "breasts" are the viper's venom glands and sacs, expelled by muscular contraction.

Of course it's still just an excuse to have snake women with tits.

What a coincidence! My breasts are also venomous.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jenner posted:

I remember the French lady because she has a rescue mission dedicated to her but I don't remember the furies at all.

...the Furies are the 3 psykers you rescue in the mission after rescuing Annette Durand.

Portent -> reveals there is a missing truck with suspicious cargo;
[time passes, X-Com base is assaulted]
Deluge -> rescues Annette Durand; she notes that "You have to help me find the others!"
Furies -> you rescue the others (the Furies; each one has a nickname that is a Fury from Greek mythology) from an Abductor ship before time runs out and they blow up.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

ulmont posted:

...the Furies are the 3 psykers you rescue in the mission after rescuing Annette Durand.

Deluge -> rescues Annette Durand; she notes that "You have to help me find the others!"
Furies -> you rescue the others (the Furies; each one has a nickname that is a Fury from Greek mythology) from an Abductor ship before time runs out and they blow up.

It's possible and I suppose even kind of likely to miss the Furies mission, depending on your playstyle. It happened to me the first time I played and probably would've happened again if I hadn't noticed a steam achievement that mentions it. It's a rather forgettable detour anyway.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Annette and the Furys are all guaranteed to be psychics is the biggest advantage to them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jade Star posted:

A&W, Mug, And Barqs are all what I'd call the Soda Rootbeers. They aren't bad, but they're carbonated and use syrups or processed sugars and come out more like soda than what I'd call a proper rootbeer. IBC is a good start to real rootbeers. Not particularly high end, but it's good and easier to find.

Maine Root does good rootbeers and sarsaparillas, I find these in my local BevMo often and always pick up a few. Virgils does unique stuff with their rootbeer. I've never seen anyone else blend in Bavarian nutmeg into their drink and it's really something. Stewart's I found a little pedestrian. Nothing was wrong, but nothing really made it stand out.

I haven't run into the rest of the brands you mentioned, which is a shame. Probably a regional thing, but really the best thing to do is buy a bottle or two of everything you can find and give 'em a try to see for yourself and enjoy figuring out what you like the most. For me it'll always be a Henry Wienhard, but I still enjoy a lot of other brands and even find myself needing other rootbeers as a sort of palate refresher. If I buy nothing but a couple packs of Henry's then I find myself enjoying them less by the end. Variety is a good thing.

Thanks for the advice, Professor!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

So there's Maine root, Virgil's, Stubborn Soda; Classic Root beer, Stewart's fountain, Honest Fizz organic Root beer, Capt'n Eli's, Blue Sky creamy, Stevia Soda, and Zevia Ginger root beer.

FWIW, I've tried a Zevia beverage (their cream soda) and it was terrible. A very heavy stevia aftertaste.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am surprised how harshly Reaper is viewed. Yes the drop off in damage is a pain and there is always a chance that the sword strike will miss and thus break the chain, however there are ways to get around that. The free ax throw can be used in the middle of a reaper chain without ending it, and if you set up the chain just right, you can end it with the shotgun to take care of the toughest enemy in a group. That and it is great in timed missions as it is a way for a single soldier to clean up an encounter and push forward at the same time.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hunt11 posted:

I am surprised how harshly Reaper is viewed.
Reaper is a very nice ability, and if it was up against almost any other Ranger ability I'd take Reaper.

Unfortunately, Reaper is against Rapid Fire.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

Reaper is a very nice ability, and if it was up against almost any other Ranger ability I'd take Reaper.

Unfortunately, Reaper is against Rapid Fire.

Fair enough. I suppose i just never felt the need for Rapid Fire as gunslinger with face off can handle most of my high damage needs.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Rapid Fire with most special ammo types can delete one target a turn. That's hard to beat. Reaper can clear several targets on a meticulously set up turn. Both are excellent, but more often than not I just want one target to die right this minute.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Hunt11 posted:

I am surprised how harshly Reaper is viewed.

For a moment there, I assumed that Reaper was the name of a root beer.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zomborgon posted:

I had this same thought.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Zomborgon posted:

Also same.

Adding to rootbeer chat, I've had a keg of Virgil's and if you're used to soda root beers you're going to get a kick in your tastebuds. Definitely drink it cold.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

ulmont posted:

That quest never popped up for me. Interesting.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

A villain mean and rough
Devil's Canyon usually makes beer but they do have a root beer keg available in 5 and 15 gallon sizes.

And growlers.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Jenner posted:

It was a part of a DLC and on top of that you most likely woulden't get to play the second part until a long time into your game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It was a part of a DLC and on top of that you most likely woulden't get to play the second part until a long time into your game.

It came with Enemy Within, it should be noted, but it also opened with an infamously tough mission that I've heard some people skipped and never got it offered again.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Jenner posted:

Weird. You should have seen it after Deluge.

Cythereal posted:

It came with Enemy Within, it should be noted, but it also opened with an infamously tough mission that I've heard some people skipped and never got it offered again.
Yeah, but Jenner said he rescued the French lady, which would have been mission 2 of 3.

Jenner posted:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cythereal posted:

The whale Chryssalid one?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RareAcumen posted:

Deluge. Thin man hell in the first month or two of the game.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

No, the one where Thin Men drop into flanking positions and wreck your poo poo.
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Portent_(EU2012)

Cythereal posted:

Deluge. Thin man hell in the first month or two of the game.

You mean Portent.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh, the first EXALT encounter mission.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

A villain mean and rough
Portent is a pain because it's the second month and you'll most likely have barely any laser weapons, Mecs or SHIVS and the entire map is thin men plus a single sectoid. The big advantage the player has is the spawn locations are always the same so you can abuse the hell out of that with overwatch traps and make it easy to stun two of them on the roof.

P.S. Jade, try Swamp Pop Praline Cream soda next. It's very sweet but tastes heavenly. It's a sipping soda.

LEGO Genetics fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 13, 2016

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
I think Reaper is also kinda not as useful since, if I recall right, there are several abilities that can be used to do the same job, but without the added disadvantage of potentially revealing a pod or leaving a guy out of position.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I kinda wish we had a character named Erich Rhoemer that whenever he attacked the klezmer music would start playing.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
It's 100% possible if you have the mod tools.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Lunethex posted:

It's 100% possible if you have the mod tools.

I definitely believe it, just wish it was in the LP. Or have the some of the aliens be Rhoemer and have a Logan character.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
I've tried the - non-soda? - root beers like Virgil and Weinhart's and I just can't get into them so I always gravitate towards the usual suspects like Barq's and Mug. What's the difference between the two types?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Rick_Hunter posted:

I've tried the - non-soda? - root beers like Virgil and Weinhart's and I just can't get into them so I always gravitate towards the usual suspects like Barq's and Mug. What's the difference between the two types?

There's really no actual distinction, since they're all carbonated, but the commercially widespread root beers like Barqs, Mug, or A&W tend to be more heavily sweetened/carbonated.

Note that the sugar content of a soda doesn't necessarily correlate to how sweet it tastes - adding acids to soda to cut the sweetness is very common. Dissolving CO2 into water to create carbonated water actually makes a mix of water, carbon dioxide, and carbonic acid, and while the pressure and temperature remain constant it stays in equilibrium. However, once the CO2 is allowed to escape, the carbonic acid eventually breaks down entirely, leaving only water behind. This is why flat soda tastes bad - it's actually missing the carbonic acid part of the drink that cuts the sweetness. :eng101: It's possible, but not really practical, to re-carbonate soda and restore the taste. Many sodas also use additional acid(s) for flavor - phosphoric acid gets used in Coke, among other sodas, which helps stabilize the flavor as it goes flat. (Bonus fact: CO2 doesn't really dissolve well without a catalyst, since water is polar and CO2 isn't, so to get CO2 into your bloodstream it's first converted to carbonic acid (which is polar) by enzymes and then converted back to CO2 for removal via the lungs.)

Your Henry Weinhard's or Virgil's or IBC tend to be less aggressively sweetened and counterbalanced with carbonation/acidity (although pretty much all root beer is carbonated). Barq's and Mug are crafted to have pretty wide appeal - just because you don't like the same root beer as Jade doesn't mean there aren't other root beers out there that you might like better.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My first job as a teenager was at the local A&W in my local mall's food court. At first I was delighted because I liked their root beer a whole lot, but then I would come home smelling like A&W Root Beer and I would have to brew the root beer and I would have to just overall smell the root beer and taste the root beer at all hours of the day. My dream became a nightmare.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

CJacobs posted:

My first job as a teenager was at the local A&W in my local mall's food court. At first I was delighted because I liked their root beer a whole lot, but then I would come home smelling like A&W Root Beer and I would have to brew the root beer and I would have to just overall smell the root beer and taste the root beer at all hours of the day. My dream became a nightmare.

that's generally the way it is with any food or drink job.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It was so traumatizing that I decreed to myself that I would never work fast food again, and for the rest of my teenage years I worked jobs that were equally crappy, but I always remained thankful that at least they couldn't ruin the taste of A&W root beer for me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CJacobs posted:

My roommate after college worked in his grandpa's oil refinery. I didn't know the different parts of oil/tar had different odors, but after a couple of years with him I can now smell naphtha from half a mile away. That odor clings.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
How is it that we haven't had a rootbeer themed soldier yet? Like Andy 'Sasparilla' Weinhard or something with a pleasant soft brown bubbly color scheme?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

McKilligan posted:

How is it that we haven't had a rootbeer themed soldier yet? Like Andy 'Sasparilla' Weinhard or something with a pleasant soft brown bubbly color scheme?

Because nobody submitted one would be my guess.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Because nobody submitted one would be my guess.

I think I submitted one? I remember doing so but I might be wrong.

If I did she either wasn't picked/hasn't been picked yet or she hasn't come up.

Also yah, I did the French Mission and finished the game and the furies mission never came up. No loving idea.

Fix your game Jake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Jenner posted:

I think I submitted one? I remember doing so but I might be wrong.

If I did she either wasn't picked/hasn't been picked yet or she hasn't come up.

Also yah, I did the French Mission and finished the game and the furies mission never came up. No loving idea.

Fix your game Jake.

It takes a really long time for that mission to proc. Like sitting on the final mission for a month or two long.

• Locked thread