Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DO YOU HAVE A PHASED LIGHT EMITTING DIODE ARRAY IN THE 40 WATT RANGE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Had to buy some coolant today to top off my car. Was legitimately shocked to see pre-mix on the shelf at Canadian Tire, a little separate from the concentrate, guess it does exist here.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Wouldn't much of Canada be cold enough that 50/50 mix would be a bad idea in the winter?

I mean, I know topping it off won't throw off whatever mix you already have by much, but I'm thinking more about people who buy the premix after draining the cooling system.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Wouldn't much of Canada be cold enough that 50/50 mix would be a bad idea in the winter?

I mean, I know topping it off won't throw off whatever mix you already have by much, but I'm thinking more about people who buy the premix after draining the cooling system.

I run 50-50 and always have. The freezing point is still incredibly low, and we do have block heaters.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Even in super cold great white North, a 50/50 mix gets you enough coverage:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Well then... the more you know!

*puts on dunce hat*

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Seminal Flu posted:

When I lived in Grand Forks, ND we'd see -40° (F or C they converge at -40) ambient temp so 50/50 wasn't enough on rare occasion.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Well, 50/50 is good to like -36, as shown by that diagram. That covers most Canadians because most live as far south in Canada as possible and there are plenty of places where it rarely goes below -20C.

Where I live we have weeks that are that closer to -40 so 60% coolant 40% water is basically a must.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The block heater makes a difference. Not much of one (I think less than 5°C) but it's enough to push it back over the edge.

Anything colder than that and there's other components of my shitboxes that I need to worry about before the block being frozen.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Also most of us have a garage, which really helps. Also most workplaces that are worth half a poo poo have outlets for your block heater.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Is there a way to pin or link this thread and 14's AMX HEADROOM INCIDENT thread together or would that be like crossing the streams (and that would be bad).?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seminal Flu posted:

What is important to remember is that this is for new coolant. Old coolant apparently loses some freeze resistance, which is how a buddy of mine work up to a pink slushy in Minneapolis, where it doesn't get -30F. G12+, maybe 4 years old, which, of course, VW claimed was lifetime back then.

Early 2000s VWs really sucked in the winter. Some temp sensor in the car would gently caress up below -10F and flood the engine, which was cool. This was considered a common thing. Also, my hood strut wouldn't work at -10F -- well, it would work a little bit, so you'd be peering over an engine that isn't working and then without warning (a really loving heavy) hood would brain you.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 14, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

nm posted:

Early 2000s VWs really sucked in the winter. Some temp sensor in the car would gently caress up below -10F and flood the engine, which was cool. This was considered a common thing. Also, my hood strut wouldn't work at -10F -- well, it would work a little bit, so you'd be peering over an engine that isn't working and then without warning (a really loving heavy) hood would brain you.

Well that's what you get for not taking it to Volkswagen Dealership for service

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Panaflex posted:

Is there a way to pin or link this thread and 14's AMX HEADROOM INCIDENT thread together or would that be like crossing the streams (and that would be bad).?

Ideally we should have two divergent threads of 14 AT HOME and 14 AWAY MISSION.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If 14 wears a red shirt is he Scotty or is he gonna die :ohdear:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

14 OF 14 is obviously a borg, dude.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

nm posted:

What is important to remember is that this is for new coolant. Old coolant apparently loses some freeze resistance, which is how a buddy of mine work up to a pink slushy in Minneapolis, where it doesn't get -30F. G12+, maybe 4 years old, which, of course, VW claimed was lifetime back then.

Good points. I think the chart I used was for a typical ethylene glycol solution, not the pink magic that VAG uses. :D

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Ideally we should have two divergent threads of 14 AT HOME and 14 AWAY MISSION.

I was intentionally trying to keep Seattle in one thread and the Truck of Longinus in the other, aside from the work being done to the Honda to get there and other unavoidable cross pollination. That way when this thing goes absolutely, irredeemably tits up I have minimal cleanup to do to pretend none of this ever happeed :v:

Leperflesh posted:

14 OF 14 is obviously a borg, dude.

I'm pretty sure by being added into the collective I'd come out bright pink with big ole sexy lady Borg knockers and a cod piece you could hail the Federation with if I turned just right. But I was thinking a little more something along These Lines. Because let's be fair I'm basically Rincewind.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 15, 2016

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Came home from work today and my neighbor had this on his trailer..

Don't know anything about the truck beyond the pics. Reminded me of this thread.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I'm pretty sure by being added into the collective I'd come out bright pink with big ole sexy lady Borg knockers and a cod piece you could hail the Federation with if I turned just right. But I was thinking a little more something along These Lines. Because let's be fair I'm basically Rincewind.

Well yeah Rincewind is a pretty good match now I think about it. The spell in your head that keeps trying to say itself probably has something to do with biturbos.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Veeb0rg posted:

Came home from work today and my neighbor had this on his trailer..

Don't know anything about the truck beyond the pics. Reminded me of this thread.

Pretty cool of your neighbour to buy a parts truck for this endeavour.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, after driving the van around a bit, t seems like this engine might be a bit...underpowered for our applications. However, while I was out driving for work today, I stumbled upon a garage offering a much more suitable option for this truck. Bit of an older motor, and it probably has a few more miles on it than the van does, but looks like it puts out a lot more power.

Trying to work out the mounting situation for this one might be a bit more complicated though, as some cursory Googling doesn't seem offer much info, but I'm sure between 4 minds we can work something out. And of course it looks like the fuel system will need some extra parts. Cooling might be a bit of an issue as well, so I guess it's a good thing it'll be cold out!

Price is a bit higher than I'd like to go, but hey, at this point I doubt I'm gonna find much better.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/XZndncu.jpg[/img][/timg]
:v:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

So, after driving the van around a bit, t seems like this engine might be a bit...underpowered for our applications. However, while I was out driving for work today, I stumbled upon a garage offering a much more suitable option for this truck. Bit of an older motor, and it probably has a few more miles on it than the van does, but looks like it puts out a lot more power.

Trying to work out the mounting situation for this one might be a bit more complicated though, as some cursory Googling doesn't seem offer much info, but I'm sure between 4 minds we can work something out. And of course it looks like the fuel system will need some extra parts. Cooling might be a bit of an issue as well, so I guess it's a good thing it'll be cold out!

Price is a bit higher than I'd like to go, but hey, at this point I doubt I'm gonna find much better.

poo poo man all you need is fuel, ignition, and some ratchet-straps, and you're good to go :madmax:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu4tB54Uw5I

Someone photoshop a rusty truck in place of this contraption and you might have something

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Jedediah Kerman way.

Godspeed, Jeb.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There's a reason I bought :jebstare:, and it's for the moment the truck makes it's first movement under power.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

There's a reason I bought :jebstare:, and it's for the moment the truck makes it's first movement under power.

I could imagine ExplodingSims looking like clint eastwood in that clip as he presses the button and 14 inch ascends to valhalla on a plume of rocket exhaust and mystery parts

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

Hahaha I drive by this quite a bit. It does say you can make an offer though!

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

rndmnmbr posted:

We're not sure exactly what broke casuality - what event shattered time itself like a sparkplug through safety glass.

Now we know.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It took me quite a while to figure out what I was looking at. Don't those make 14,000 ft/lbs of thrust? How is it legal to sell?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

The Door Frame posted:

It took me quite a while to figure out what I was looking at. Don't those make 14,000 ft/lbs of thrust? How is it legal to sell?

Why wouldn't it be legal to sell? It's basically just a neat museum piece. Sending a truck into low-earth orbit might piss off some three letter agencies unless you got the proper permits first, however.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Magnus Praeda posted:

Why wouldn't it be legal to sell? It's basically just a neat museum piece. Sending a truck into low-earth orbit might piss off some three letter agencies unless you got the proper permits first, however.

I don't know, liquid O2 and super refined Kerosene are pretty expensive, but even a museum piece like that seems like it should need a permit to buy. Although it is Florida

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Why? It's not like decades-old obsolete jet engines are a controlled export item.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Why? It's not like decades-old obsolete jet engines are a controlled export item.

I feel like if you have the expertise to get an exported rocket engine working you've probably already got the ability to build your own. It's not like a restricted firearm.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Building a functional jet engine that could even be considered worth putting on a military plane is actually many, many times harder than building a firearm of almost any sort.

What I'm saying is put a GAU-8 in the bed of the truck and propel yourself back to Florida with 30mm antitank rounds. It should neatly solve the tailgater problem, too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kastein posted:

What I'm saying is put a GAU-8 in the bed of the truck and propel yourself back to Florida with 30mm antitank rounds. It should neatly solve the tailgater problem, too.

This would be awesome, as long as I'm not paying the ammo fuel bill.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

no bones about it posted:

I could imagine ExplodingSims looking like clint eastwood in that clip as he presses the button and 14 inch ascends to valhalla on a plume of rocket exhaust and mystery parts

This shall be my sound track

https://youtu.be/b3Rh4ZHq4k4

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
This

The Door Frame posted:

seems like it should need a permit to buy.

describes America to a T.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

rndmnmbr posted:

We're not sure exactly what broke casuality - what event shattered time itself like a sparkplug through safety glass. All we know for sure is that one moment, a fool and a flat-rate mechanic laid hands on the Truck, and the next, causes and effects weren't connected anymore.

The Terrible nightmares I've been having all make sense now. They were the earthquake before the tidal wave. All was foretold, and they will but pale before the nightmares yet to come.

We have achieved Criticality. The prophecy begins to unfold.

REJOICE, BROTHERS. NYARLATHOTEP APPROACHES. THE TIME OF THE OLD ONES IS UPON US, AND THE WAYS OF MAN ARE DONE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

IA! IA! FTAGHN 14"!

• Locked thread