Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's so hard for me to stop focusing on food in Endless Legend at any cost coming from...Christ, 1k hours of CiV. Help me, endless goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Bogart posted:

It's so hard for me to stop focusing on food in Endless Legend at any cost coming from...Christ, 1k hours of CiV. Help me, endless goons.

Play necrophages, turn gears into units, use units to make food.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Just won a game as broken lords by a very comfortable margin. The ability to spam population once you get your dust going is amazing.

I find with most 4Xs that building wide remains the default 'good' choice. So my rapid expansion habits from Civ 2 all those years ago are still solid. EL has good mechanisms in place to make it less unbalanced: being able to produce multiple units from a single city is huge, and of course the cult is all about going tall - but for Broken Lords going balls to the wall for settlers until I had 3/4 cities out seemed to work well. And you still need all that land for the inevitable strategic resource rush in the mid to late game.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

BL are probably the best faction for going wide, due to the fact that you can control the way your population grows and it's best to spread out the population as much as possible. There's little reason to break 10 population.

Bogart posted:

Play BL, ignore food entirely.

Food's not that great of a resource, getting populations above 8 is a pain and getting them above 10 is largely pointless. Industry and dust are victory.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
There's a reason the broken lords are called "Broken".

A custom faction using them as the base can be the extremely broken lords.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

So I'm playing Sophon in ES2 and I just started by researching a bunch of high tier units and weapons right away. I only had two systems and the Craver near me gobbled up a good 8 immediately. Seemed pretty hopeless. Turns out my massive and hilarious tech advantage is crushing them. My fleet is near indestructible and I just fly into a system and ground assault with 200+ troops vs their 40. Immediately take their system. RIP cravers

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
The reason you want high pop cities is so you can see your vast sprawling metropolis cover up the entirety of the province. Paint dat map.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

IAmUnaware posted:

The Allayi have a pretty rough time early. The seekers are great for exploring and getting you a ton of ruins and stuff quickly, but honestly they might be the worst non-support unit in the game, at least in light form, and as you noted approval is really tough. You basically have to get through that step of the faction quest before moving past two cities, and you definitely have to prioritize sewers highly. Remember to prioritize food enough to get some quick population, because the garths are really, really good. Also, while seekers suck, monks are actually really great, so try to get to those before making any military moves.
Tempest gives them a bit of a boost because they can start getting quests from the ocean fortresses really early, which (depending on quest RNG) can end you up with a LOT of strategic/luxury resources.

Thanks for the tips! I managed to move past that stage of the quest as you said, with the sewers and buying them out in my city to get the approval up before my luxury spices expired. The next bit is now tough because it requires some luxury extractors, of which there is only the spices in my area. Part of my troubles are that the map script I went with has few luxuries and there are a lot of tough minor factions about.

One amazing realisation for me was that if you pacify a village via a quest and it wasn't razed before you get all the villagers as pops. I pacified a Kazanji village and got + 3 workers in my 1 pop expand immediately. It was so useful.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The way invasions work right now do not exactly interact well with the way Vodyanoi work right now.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 13, 2016

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

IAmUnaware posted:

I don't know what the rules for self-promotion are, but I have a Youtube channel where I'm learning to play on Endless (and winning about half the time) and I try my best to explain why I make the decisions that I make. Here's a link to my Endless playlists: https://www.youtube.com/user/Sumashful/playlists?view=50&shelf_id=12&sort=dd
There are definitely better players than me out there, but hopefully you can learn something from me trying to talk through my thought process. (The Broken Lords series starts playing with Tempest enabled on episode 8, but I've been too busy dealing with my neighbors on land to make much use of the oceans.)

In a nutshell, the things that I'm finding to be important for high-difficulty play are:
1) Quick expansion. You're probably going to have to pick up new regions more often than once per empire plan if you don't want to get hemmed in, and you'll need a lot of resources to compete with the AI's economic bonuses. (You can of course get by just fine by murdering a neighbor and taking his stuff.) Approval management is tied up in this as well as a little bit of aggro management; if you block somebody off too much the border friction can start a war, although if you can really block them into a corner and keep them weak you might just be able to consume them early on.
2) A decent understanding of the combat system and manual resolution of most combats. It's possible that this isn't such a big deal if you're better at getting your economy running than I am, but on high difficulties the AI can generate SO MANY UNITS that you really need to get every tiny bit of possible advantage out of each battle. In particular, taking advantage of terrain is really important.
3) Building an army. You don't always have to use it, but the AI pays attention to your military strength, and if you look like easy pickings you WILL get picked. If you look strong they may turn on someone else when they decide they need a war.
4) Diplomacy. I really undervalued this on low difficulties, but making peace or an alliance with somebody can be really valuable just in terms of the breathing room it gives you to deal with other players, and trade routes/tech trading can really help you catch up with the AIs.

Thanks, I will check your LP out!

Question to everyone: how much pop do you grow in your cities before diminishing returns makes you stop?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Any suggestions for a first time player's play-through of EL? All expansions.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

The wild walkers are a good starting point when just learning the ropes. Good industry production and they can see where all units are in areas adjacent to ones they've settled. They're the least gimmicky in terms of the asymmetrical design.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, just expand into foresty areas hard, focus on production and food, then build those archers, give them blue/yellow bows as soon as you can and skullfuck the continent.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I just read the Games2Gether threads on ES2 combat and now I want to rip combat entirely out of the game and replace it with a hugging simulator because gently caress me if there aren't some insufferable cunts on that forum.

IAmTheRad posted:

Any suggestions for a first time player's play-through of EL? All expansions.

Wild Walkers, Drakken or Vaulters. Vaulters for a standard science victory, Drakken just because they're fairly resilient with decent all-round bonuses and Wild Walkers to cover the world in elves. I'd also suggest turning off the expansions and adding them in a bit at a time, as they don't add a lot of complexity on their own but add a fair amount over time. Up to you on that last point, of course.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
The Endless Legend 1.5 patch just came out: https://www.games2gether.com/endless-legend/blog/477-free-update-pact-of-the-seas-is-out-today

It looks like it may have enabled Tempest for everyone as well.

EDIT:

Helion posted:

Question to everyone: how much pop do you grow in your cities before diminishing returns makes you stop?

Honestly, I rarely assign people to food unless I'm pushing hard for a population breakpoint in order to build a district or two in the near future. In the early game you usually have so much building/buying to do that keeping your people assigned to industry and dust is important, and once my cities have built most of their important stuff I often move a lot of my citizens to science. I do like having a high population city or two for science (lots of people + lots of districts + Center for Mineralogy + Advanced Alchemy Lab + Cultist or Ardent Mages hero, and eventually Living Lab Tools if the game requires you to push into the last era) but I find that I don't usually need to put effort into growing very much.

IAmUnaware fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 13, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, Tempest is enabled for me.

Morgawr seem REALLY weak on the land; their only unit is a support unit, to start. So it seems like assimilating at least one good land-based Minor Faction is how you want to roll with them as far as land units.

Catspaw doesn't require you to have a unit near the barbarians. You just need to have vision on it somewhere and click on it and take 'em over. Interesting. Could be really good for messing with the enemy. Only problem is, Catspawed units cost a LOT of financial upkeep.

Looks like you really want to make sure your sea units are equipped with the "Fomorian Slayer" capacity too.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 13, 2016

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

IAmUnaware posted:

The Endless Legend 1.5 patch just came out: https://www.games2gether.com/endless-legend/blog/477-free-update-pact-of-the-seas-is-out-today

It looks like it may have enabled Tempest for everyone as well.

Huh, that's nice. Wondering if I should reinstall before or after downloading the patch - I was playing an Allayi game with the old patch, but apparently the game decided that EL actually stood for "Endless Loop"

quote:

Exception while ticking the AI (SynchronousJobRepository) : System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at AILayer_ArmyManagement+<SynchronousJob_ExecuteNeeds>c__AnonStorey687.<>m__BE (.UnitDesign design) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[UnitDesign] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[UnitDesign] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AILayer_ArmyManagement.SynchronousJob_ExecuteNeeds () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SynchronousJobRepository.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TickableRepository.Tick (Boolean isInGameState) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)
(repeats)

Anyone had this happen to them before? This is actually the third game this has happened in, and I've had to abandon the previous two games because while I could get the turn to roll by doing some stuff differently, the bug would keep coming back on future turns.

I think the AI is trying to build a unit design it's already deleted or something?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Patch notes here : https://www.games2gether.com/endless-legend/blog/477-free-update-pact-of-the-seas-is-out-today

Haven't combed through it all yet but hell yeah unique random factions!

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Speedball posted:

Yeah, Tempest is enabled for me.

Morgawr seem REALLY weak on the land; their only unit is a support unit, to start. So it seems like assimilating at least one good land-based Minor Faction is how you want to roll with them as far as land units.

Catspaw doesn't require you to have a unit near the barbarians. You just need to have vision on it somewhere and click on it and take 'em over. Interesting. Could be really good for messing with the enemy. Only problem is, Catspawed units cost a LOT of financial upkeep.

Yeah, Morgawr have to assimilate a minor faction and use that faction's unit if they want to have a land army. Catspaw is good for levying a temporary army, but as you note you really want to have a sensible way of disposing of those troops. You can just end the Catspaw effect at any time, but I prefer to find a useful way to kill them off just so I don't have to deal with them after.

Eventually the Morgawr faction quest awards you some really powerful accessories to put on your minor faction guys that give big stat boosts (in exchange for slowly draining their life). Once you hit that I would think that their land army is actually quite powerful, but it's pretty far in.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

God, if in wants TI read the G2G boards but I really want to know what godawful suggestions they have for combating now

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

IAmUnaware posted:

Yeah, Morgawr have to assimilate a minor faction and use that faction's unit if they want to have a land army. Catspaw is good for levying a temporary army, but as you note you really want to have a sensible way of disposing of those troops. You can just end the Catspaw effect at any time, but I prefer to find a useful way to kill them off just so I don't have to deal with them after.

Eventually the Morgawr faction quest awards you some really powerful accessories to put on your minor faction guys that give big stat boosts (in exchange for slowly draining their life). Once you hit that I would think that their land army is actually quite powerful, but it's pretty far in.

That being said, Leviathans and Vores are ridiculous on the oceans.

And don't forget black spot. Black Spot can really screw over a powerful enemy since it basically sics all their neighbors on them for a while.

EDIT: \/ the patch actually contains all of Tempest's data for the sake of MP. The game just looks at what's activated on your account. The Company of Heroes 1 expansions worked the same way.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 13, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

So, Steam saying that Tempest isn't installed is just Steam fooling?

I mean inside Endless Legend it says Tempest is activated.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I really bounced off the Allayi, but I'm loving the Morgawr! Controlling the oceans first and getting the sweet fortress loot is super dope.

Rygar201 posted:

God, if in wants TI read the G2G boards but I really want to know what godawful suggestions they have for combating now

They want tactical combat, or at least decision points to make inside of the battles. This is despite the fact that basically every battle is auto-resolve now and watching it unfold is basically watching a simulation. I'd like some finer control on flotillas beforehand but I really don't want to end up like NuMoO where you suddenly realise space has no exciting terrain features to fight in, which is where tactical combat shines, so you just shove ships at each other.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The Deleter posted:

They want tactical combat, or at least decision points to make inside of the battles. This is despite the fact that basically every battle is auto-resolve now and watching it unfold is basically watching a simulation. I'd like some finer control on flotillas beforehand but I really don't want to end up like NuMoO where you suddenly realise space has no exciting terrain features to fight in, which is where tactical combat shines, so you just shove ships at each other.

The MOST I want is basically single round EL combat. Pick the maneuver plan and a few targeting orders. That's all.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

There's a TBD thread for ES2: https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forum/65-general/thread/21182-endless-space-2-improve-list-post-early-access

One the things there under high priority is "Space Battle : Play Deck management". Battle cards coming back?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

With Vores and Leviathans, is there any reason to build the generic sea units like the boarding ship?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Overminty posted:

There's a TBD thread for ES2: https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forum/65-general/thread/21182-endless-space-2-improve-list-post-early-access

One the things there under high priority is "Space Battle : Play Deck management". Battle cards coming back?

I believe they are going to slightly change the battle cards. Perhaps they will have different battle cards for different formations? That will let you play each different formation to their strengths, as long as you can choose the formations yourself.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
For EL, I saw that there's full steam controller support, but it doesn't look like there's a developer-recommended setup yet. Anyone know if that's coming soon?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Any major features gated behind the DLC for Endless Legend? I don't have a lot of spending money at the moment so I can't buy the DLC, but I don't mind playing without the new factions.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Any major features gated behind the DLC for Endless Legend? I don't have a lot of spending money at the moment so I can't buy the DLC, but I don't mind playing without the new factions.

The bundle is only £13 and only the very latest dlc is missing. If that's still too much then the base game is still good, though I do personally like what Shifters and Shadows add.

e: to expand more on features, shifters adds new a new type of resource, mechanics and improvements/buildings relating to winter as well as a faction whose strengths change when the season does. Shadows adds the ability to spy on other cities and a faction based on that and pillaging and so forth.

Overminty fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 13, 2016

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Speedball posted:

With Vores and Leviathans, is there any reason to build the generic sea units like the boarding ship?

Boarding Vessels have 6 base move, making them the fastest sea unit, so you can use them the same way you use cavalry units on land (and they can equip the stun grenades for that role as well). Seems like they should be very good against Artillery Ships. Fire ships do a lot of damage with their debuff even to ships that have really high defenses. Artillery Ships can get crazy huge range in combat or can strip the fortifications off a coastal city pretty quickly. I'm not sure if there's any reason to build a Bathysphere over a Leviathan, though. Basically, Vores are similar in application to Fire Ships, except that the Fire Ship does a lot of damage over time with its DOT debuff while the Vore helps its teammates do more damage with its armor debuff. They have pretty similar toughness, although Vores make a better raiding force due to their ability to be retrofitted outside of your terrain. I don't have a ton of experience with the submersibles yet, so I can't comment too much on the Leviathan.

I can definitely say that as a Morgawr player you at least want to get Artillery Ships. They're really, really useful. Their broadside cannon weapon line gives +range up to +4 from their already very good base 4, and the trebuchet line is huge for sieging coastal cities, which everyone is now mechanically encouraged to have.

EDIT: Also, I'm finding that I'm getting the Boarding Vessel tech for free from sea ruins/fortress quests a lot, so you may not even have to bother researching them.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Man, I played the poo poo out of Endless Space and loved it, the original thread for it is actually the oldest thing in my bookmarked threads. I made the mistake of getting Endless Legend while it was early access, though, and played an hour and a half of it before getting bored and never playing it again.

Clearly the right answer is to buy all the DLC and give it another shot while waiting for ES2 to shape up :haw:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I am playing a game of Endless Legend as the Wild Walkers, finally.

I have a quest that says go to these ruins with 4 ranged units and 2 minor faction units. Can I use 2 from the same faction, or do I need 2 different ones?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Mokinokaro posted:

The MOST I want is basically single round EL combat. Pick the maneuver plan and a few targeting orders. That's all.

Super-streamlined gratuitous space battles would be awesome.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

IAmTheRad posted:

I am playing a game of Endless Legend as the Wild Walkers, finally.

I have a quest that says go to these ruins with 4 ranged units and 2 minor faction units. Can I use 2 from the same faction, or do I need 2 different ones?

same, I believe. So just assimilate one faction and put two Sisters of Mercy in the army or something.

Heck I think even mercenaries work.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Generation Internet posted:

I played the poo poo out of Endless Space and loved it

Generation Internet posted:

I made the mistake of getting Endless Legend while it was early access, though, and played an hour and a half of it before getting bored and never playing it again.

What the gently caress.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Super-streamlined gratuitous space battles would be awesome.

I wish someone would make use of Oxide Engine already.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Chomp8645 posted:

What the gently caress.

EL was pretty bad when it first came out in Early Access. I did that too, although I came back to it on the full release.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Clarste posted:

EL was pretty bad when it first came out in Early Access. I did that too, although I came back to it on the full release.

Sure I guess. I didn't play either in their EA days. But I am offended at the notion of someone playing "the poo poo out of" that turd ES and then dropping EL, an infinitely better game, after an hour or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I didn't really give Endless Legend a good shot.

I am playing as the Wild Walkers and enjoying myself now. Still learning how to play the game, but at least I am not bleeding dust at a massive rate every turn.
-
Hissho are in Endless Space 2. They have been degraded into a minor faction.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 14, 2016