Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Honest to god that isn't even in the top ten of insane things from his rallies today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Intimidation lawsuits for libel already existed. The Gawker case hasn't changed that. Until it actually becomes a precedent for courts to change libel or defamation laws, you're just speculating wildly.

My concern with Gawker isn't the legal precedent but the business one. Mother Jones just got through a similar experience much to their great cost. Small time investigative reporting is dying off and I fear someone might put the Texas Tribune or similar through the ringer and they might not survive it either or have to sacrifice ethics to surivive.

Crowsbeak posted:

Does the tabloid need to publish the sex tape then?

Well i want a society that sees it is never in the public interest to see two people in a private moment of intimacy no matter what their saying on that tape.

Also you would have supported the fappening if it had reveled that several of those women were racists right?

So why do you think a couples privacy always overrides the public interest no matter the crime committed or public audacity? Literally never? If so, why? Is it the nakedness or that sex shouldn't enter the publicsphere?

I'm just curious because it is rare to have such clear bright lines on speech.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sensible Thursday posted:

They wouldn't be doing this unless their internal polls vs Trump were rock solid
More like rock-hard and ready to go

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

what does this even mean? jesus gently caress can he be any more incoherent?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
Gawker is gross but more importantly hosed up real bad and mounted like the worst defense I have ever seen.

SLAPP lawsuits are a blight and we should have laws protecting people and especially journalists from them and requiring plaintiffs to pay their opponents' legal fees.

Everybody happy?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Podhoretz is an idiot.

Tiffany Trump's middle name is Arianna.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Nothing left to win Obama is maybe my favorite Obama.

Fixed that for you.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
I think he's referring to her collapsing from :tinfoil: pneumonia while speaking abroad.

I think.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

My concern with Gawker isn't the legal precedent but the business one. Mother Jones just got through a similar experience much to their great cost. Small time investigative reporting is dying off and I fear someone might put the Texas Tribune or similar through the ringer and they might not survive it either or have to sacrifice ethics to surivive.
I'm not saying there are no concerns with Gawker, I just don't think it's settled yet. I'm saying we haven't seen the effects of the case yet, and we shouldn't jump to conclusions about what happened. The trend in the U.S. has always been toward broader protections for the press against libel suits. I don't think we've seen that reversed yet. I just think we need to wait to see if and how Gawker is cited in a future case.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Agrajag posted:

what does this even mean? jesus gently caress can he be any more incoherent?

It might be referencing the Chinese lack of good samaritan laws; where people won't help each other for fear of being sued. So she trips in Tiananmen square, they won't help her up. That's my take on it, anyways (its super incoherent)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm not saying there are no concerns with Gawker, I just don't think it's settled yet.

That's another thing to keep in mind- Gawker wasn't destroyed by losing their case, they were destroyed by procedural maneuvering without a ruling being issued. There's a good chance the judge will take their side and that they will have done nothing wrong in the eyes of the law, but they're still destroyed. That's what everyone is up in arms about, not whether or not it was right to publish a sex tape.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 14, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

So why do you think a couples privacy always overrides the public interest no matter the crime committed or public audacity? Literally never? If so, why? Is it the nakedness or that sex shouldn't enter the publicsphere?

I'm just curious because it is rare to have such clear bright lines on speech.

Well did Terry commit a crime during the video? Even if he did then the only people who should be watching it are people directly involved in a trial that would concern said crime. You know rather then anyone who can access the internet and play streaming videos.

Fine I am against procedural maneuvering, you happy?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
He's saying if she falls over in Tiananmen Square, the Chinese won't help her up because she doesn't get the Art of the Deal.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol this headline on NBC News

"Trump Imagines Shadowy 'Conspiracy' Behind Female Accusers"

A Vast Always Wings Conspiracy.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Once more, Last Year of Term Obama proves to be truly the best Obama.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

The non-Ana Navarro lady on CNN just gave a more eloquent explanation for why these victims of sexual assault waited to tell their stories until now than I have ever heard on tv.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

cult member at airport posted:

Request: Someone please photoshop Hillary and Donald's faces into this pic.

It's not good but it's fast and it's cheap sooooooo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

disjoe posted:

The non-Ana Navarro lady on CNN just gave a more eloquent explanation for why these victims of sexual assault waited to tell their stories until now than I have ever heard on tv.
Yeah I had to deal with some of that poo poo iRL earlier today.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Augus posted:

so...where does "filing multiple libel suits over accusations of rape less than a month from election day" fit in on the optics scale?

You know how toward the end of the Reich Hitler was moving imaginary divisions on the map to thwart enemy advances, until in that iconic Downfall scene he had to face the reality that everything is lost.

At the end he'll blow his brains out.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This was on my Steam front page today. Wonder if I should live out a fantasy with it or not.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/507010/

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/ScottBaio/status/786730841741275137
gently caress you scott baio.
I don't even know where to start here.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
"Random hot women can't hope to win against a billionaire in court" is probably where I'd try, but gently caress it, it's not worth it.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

disjoe posted:

Hopefully Smash! Will have a clip. I've heard several people express distrust because they didn't immediately go to the police.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Spaced God posted:

here's where you start: he was accused of assault multiple times already before running for president

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

disjoe posted:

Did it involve saying that nobody gave a gently caress when the Jill Harth story broke in July, but that Trump himself admitting to that kind of behavior being leaked on tape would maybe make their stories more believable in the eyes of the public and maybe less life-ruining?

I mean, it's very easy to explain why none of these specific women came forward until now. Look at what happened to the women who did.

Trump should probably not use that argument in debate 3, but he probably will because he's a super dumb motherfucker. This Melania intimidation poo poo today is real hosed too.

His entire anti-Hillary argument with Bill's affairs is that she went after his victims public. Now his own wife appears to be going after his own victims publicly. It's like he's trying to systematically undermine every single anti-Hillary claim that has ever come out of his mouth.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 14, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spaced God posted:

So, uh.

Bill Cosby, Scott Baio?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

overdesigned posted:

"Random hot women can't hope to win against a billionaire in court" is probably where I'd try, but gently caress it, it's not worth it.

Also hush money exists
also a gross (meaning both large and disgusting) percentage of sexual assaults go unreported BECAUSE PEOPLE DO poo poo LIKE DOX THEM
also it has happened with Trump's ex but those records are sealed for some reason

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Spaced God posted:

He's, like, the one bad thing about Arrested Development. Even then, his casting can be written off as charity.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/786732697158815744

god he's so dumb

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The point of that stupid kids wrestling photo is that boys should never be beaten by girls right? Because girls are weak and feminine and boys are strong and aggressive?

I hate that stupid photo.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I'm confused. It seems they're actually referring to Tiffany (Marla's child) and not Ivanka. And a vaguely remember it being news he named the girl after the famous jeweler. Weird.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
ohiovoters.jpg

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Star Man posted:

This was on my Steam front page today. Wonder if I should live out a fantasy with it or not.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/507010/

which member of Hillary's media team made this? because he needs a promotion

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

Well did Terry commit a crime during the video? Even if he did then the only people who should be watching it are people directly involved in a trial that would concern said crime. You know rather then anyone who can access the internet and play streaming videos.

Fine I am against procedural maneuvering, you happy?

So are you just opposed to releasing a sex tape if no crime is committed?

If there was a tape of a politician saying the most heinous thing you can imagine but they deny the stills and audio are them, claiming it as a hatchet job, still then releasing it is uncalled for?

What if it's just someone jacking off? Or like a Hillary/Donald slashfic come to life, where they both say horrible things and are public figures? Or if it something important but impossible to prove with just a still image or two and audio?

If you are against procedural maneuvering are you sure you're on the right side of this case? There was a lot of procedural maneuvering to ruin Gawker regardless of the final outcome.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvIrdg-epwA&t=15s

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
https://twitter.com/allinwithchris/status/786730276936306688

<3 Obama <3 :abuela:

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Never have wounded egos been so visible

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
To me, Trump's locker room conversation was more than just admitting to sexual assault, it was him explicitly saying why women were not able to speak out against him until now. I mean, the mechanics of it are not rocket science but if someone doesn't get it then Professor Trump can teach them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

BaDandy posted:

Ohhh I can't wait to see Rudy's reaction to this.

Even though he forgot 9/11 but :ssh:

It's right there:

quote:

"Every time New York City suffered a tragedy Donald Trump was there to help," Giuliani said. "He's not going to like my telling you this but he did it anonymously.”

Trump is such a selfless hero! He also killed Osama bin Laden but kept the information to himself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How often does Trump say "believe me?" Someone make a word cloud.

• Locked thread