Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

It blows my mind that the music in the village gets lower when you enter a building. I don't know why, it just seems like that wouldn't work with the CD audio. So awesome.

Ugh I'm going to end up buying an SD2SNES just for ALTTP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So I saw it posted before, but the 8bitdo SNES Bluetooth receiver, any of you guys have any experience with it? Any input Lag?

I did NOT realize that it works with most Bluetooth controllers on the market, like my Wii U Pro Controller or PS4 controller.

I saw it in this video while browsing Youtube randomly looking up retro stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-nvlObxC5I

He didn't really go into lag issues or anything though, and the community here seems to be rather well versed in this stuff and definitely not pulling punches.

For $20 my interest is peaked. I figured I had to use their SNES controllers with it.

HMC
May 18, 2009

Drowning Rabbit posted:

So I saw it posted before, but the 8bitdo SNES Bluetooth receiver, any of you guys have any experience with it? Any input Lag?

I've been using it and haven't noticed any lag. I'm not, like, a frame-counting fighting game professional or anything, but fwiw I've struggled playing Mario games on the Wii-U gamepad's screen due to the input latency, but had no problem beating Super Mario World on hardware with the 8bitdo SNES pad.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
It (and the NES one) both work great, both with their controllers and a DS4 or Wii U Pro controller. It's all I use these days when playing SNES or NES. There's certainly a few ms of lag, but it's gotta be absolutely tiny, probably single digits.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

My lag test is usually Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, and the Mr Sandman fight. For example, trying to play that on the VC on the Wii/WiiU? Painful.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I may have finally done something more stupid than any of my other dumb retro purchases: I bought an AES Neo Geo. I've been wanting a consolized MVS for a couple of years now, but the actual thing basically costed way less than an Omega MVS so I figured it was a smart move. It probably wasn't.

So, as the prospective newest owner of an AES (which hasn't arrived yet), what should I know? Are the caps in the thing solid or do they need replacement?

And what's the status on MVS adapters for the thing? I'm seeing two claiming to do that after a simple search: a MagicKey thingy that is an obscene $250 and a much cheaper alternative that had a limited run on Indiegogo but which I imagine isn't going to have another run just for me. Tell me there's an option 3.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 14, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sure you got a cheaper console, but did you factor the costs of games huh???

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Who else in here is a PSIO owner? There are a few of us who have managed to get one, right? Well, turns out there's been a wee bit of a situation over on the psxdev forums.

Shadow has been the one producing and selling the PSIO units, but apparently the brains behind the device and code is cybdyn. A few days ago cybdyn posts something vague and poorly communicated (he's not a native English speaker) that basically sounded like "I don't think I'm going to make any more firmware updates for the PSIO." Which is pretty bad, given the long list of compatibility issues that exist with the current firmware. User reaction is reasonably negative to this development, so Shadow says he's going to bring someone else onboard to re-code a new firmware from the ground up. Then cybdyn claims he's not even getting paid for the units that are sold, which Shadow denies and says it's a misunderstanding or miscommunication on cybdyn's part.

The whole situation sounds pretty bad to me, and if anyone here was thinking about getting in on the next batch of orders, I'd strongly advise against it. My PSIO order took something like 6 months to arrive, and the first thing I did after installing it was to go online and order a 12F629 PIC so I could program it as a modchip and then soldered that in as well. There are just a whole slew of games that don't work right, and if firmware development has stopped or has to completely start over... I don't think it's going to be getting better any time soon. It's a real shame too, given how capable the device seems.

If you enjoy drama, follow along here: http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=880&start=280

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

xamphear posted:

Who else in here is a PSIO owner? There are a few of us who have managed to get one, right? Well, turns out there's been a wee bit of a situation over on the psxdev forums.

Shadow has been the one producing and selling the PSIO units, but apparently the brains behind the device and code is cybdyn. A few days ago cybdyn posts something vague and poorly communicated (he's not a native English speaker) that basically sounded like "I don't think I'm going to make any more firmware updates for the PSIO." Which is pretty bad, given the long list of compatibility issues that exist with the current firmware. User reaction is reasonably negative to this development, so Shadow says he's going to bring someone else onboard to re-code a new firmware from the ground up. Then cybdyn claims he's not even getting paid for the units that are sold, which Shadow denies and says it's a misunderstanding or miscommunication on cybdyn's part.

The whole situation sounds pretty bad to me, and if anyone here was thinking about getting in on the next batch of orders, I'd strongly advise against it. My PSIO order took something like 6 months to arrive, and the first thing I did after installing it was to go online and order a 12F629 PIC so I could program it as a modchip and then soldered that in as well. There are just a whole slew of games that don't work right, and if firmware development has stopped or has to completely start over... I don't think it's going to be getting better any time soon. It's a real shame too, given how capable the device seems.

If you enjoy drama, follow along here: http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=880&start=280

I had an inkling when I followed the project and bought one. I was fully aware of cybdyn's involvement in the project and usually posted here and there. Boy oh boy.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Saoshyant posted:

I may have finally done something more stupid than any of my other dumb retro purchases: I bought an AES Neo Geo. I've been wanting a consolized MVS for a couple of years now, but the actual thing basically costed way less than an Omega MVS so I figured it was a smart move. It probably wasn't.

So, as the prospective newest owner of an AES (which hasn't arrived yet), what should I know? Are the caps in the thing solid or do they need replacement?

And what's the status on MVS adapters for the thing? I'm seeing two claiming to do that after a simple search: a MagicKey thingy that is an obscene $250 and a much cheaper alternative that had a limited run on Indiegogo but which I imagine isn't going to have another run just for me. Tell me there's an option 3.

There are many cheap 161-ish in 1 MVS Multicarts for $75 or so, perhaps one of those + that excessively expensive MagicKey? Or can one just h4xx one of those carts to work on AES directly?

Edit: this page lists some comparisons from multicarts, and says a few of them work in AES. I don't know if that means directly or with that ripoff converter.

falz fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 14, 2016

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

xamphear posted:

I ordered one of the July 26 batch, they haven't shipped it yet. Hope they still fulfill existing orders, as even in it's current state I'd still like to try it out.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

xamphear posted:

but apparently the brains behind the device and code is cybdyn. A few days ago cybdyn posts something vague and poorly communicated (he's not a native English speaker)

I know he is Australian but that is a bit harsh.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I know he is Australian but that is a bit harsh.
Heh.

Shadow is the Aussie, and cybdn is... Belorussian? I think? That's what it says under his avatar on psxdev anyway.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

xamphear posted:

Heh.

Shadow is the Aussie, and cybdn is... Belorussian? I think? That's what it says under his avatar on psxdev anyway.

Correct, his forum profile location confirms as such.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Electromax posted:

In case anyone else has a big emulation HTPC setup and is organizing their game rips a bit like I have been, and knows some basic programming, MobyGames just announced an API:

Oh, neat. I mean, a lot of tools had just been outright scraping the place for ages so it's nice to see something official.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

falz posted:

There are many cheap 161-ish in 1 MVS Multicarts for $75 or so, perhaps one of those + that excessively expensive MagicKey? Or can one just h4xx one of those carts to work on AES directly?

Edit: this page lists some comparisons from multicarts, and says a few of them work in AES. I don't know if that means directly or with that ripoff converter.

I think you forgot to put the link for the page you mentioned.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Magickey is your cheapest option available. I have a Magickey converter and it works great with my MVS games but if you're going to get a multicart you'll need a slightly beefier power supply to provide more current for it to work to its fullest.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/MEGA-LOT-OF-OVER-600LBS-OF-GAME-CONSOLES-33870086.html

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Saoshyant posted:

I think you forgot to put the link for the page you mentioned.

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/MVS_Multicart

Whoops

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

:staredog:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

quote:

GAYLORD AND PALLET NOT INCLUDED IN SALE.

Pass.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

xamphear posted:

-snip-

The situation appears to have deteriorated overnight, with Shadow and cybdyn both throwing fairly nasty accusations around and airing the whole thing out in public. Which can only mean their direct communications have fallen apart or stopped outright. Things aren't looking good, and I think everyone should stay way from ordering a PSIO until there's a clear indication that firmware progress has resumed.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Anyone have good recommendations for cheap-ish game shelves or storage? I have maybe 150 jewel case games, 30 or so DVD sized games, and a dozen big box PC-sized ones and would like a shelf to store all of that in one place.

Local stores only seem to sell kinda cheap plasticy crap.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

xamphear posted:

The situation appears to have deteriorated overnight, with Shadow and cybdyn both throwing fairly nasty accusations around and airing the whole thing out in public. Which can only mean their direct communications have fallen apart or stopped outright. Things aren't looking good, and I think everyone should stay way from ordering a PSIO until there's a clear indication that firmware progress has resumed.

Unsurprising really, when PSIO was beginning a lot of people had doubts that Shadow could pull it off and cybdyn is pretty much what made it possible.

Edit: from what I remember Shadow had been jerking off for years about having an iso loader via the parallel port and had a bunch of bad concepts that didn't work as he has 0 development experience. In comes cybdyn making it possible and then Shadow goes full "this is a business" mode and it appears he's holding payment to cybdyn which knowing Shadow is not surprising the least.

Edit x2: https://tsumi.wordpress.com/2012/11/24/brief-update-on-a-notorious-scammer-taking-over-the-psx-scene/ for those who don't know about Shadow's history

Edit x3: realized that the hall of shame links to a 404 https://web.archive.org/web/20150308123733/http://psxdev.fav.cc/haunted/

flyboi fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 14, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I'm gonna be participating in a charity stream with Arcade Superplay Expo next weekend (21st - 23rd) with a bunch of speedrunners and WR level arcade players to benefit Save the Children.

https://www.tiltify.com/events/superplay

Hit it up if you can. :sax: A fair bit of GDQ overlap - I'll be rooming with a Tetris grandmaster :toot:

e : here's the current schedule, didn't realize they added it - https://horaro.org/superplay2016/schedule

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 14, 2016

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I totally forgot that IIDX is going to be in that event :toot:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Caitlin posted:

I'm gonna be participating in a charity stream with Arcade Superplay Expo next weekend (21st - 23rd) with a bunch of speedrunners and WR level arcade players to benefit Save the Children.

Hit it up if you can. :sax: A fair bit of GDQ overlap - I'll be rooming with a Tetris grandmaster :toot:

e : here's the current schedule, didn't realize they added it - https://horaro.org/superplay2016/schedule

Please post this again when it gets closer. I know I'll forget and I want to watch.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I did NOT realize that it works with most Bluetooth controllers on the market, like my Wii U Pro Controller or PS4 controller.

I saw it in this video while browsing Youtube randomly looking up retro stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-nvlObxC5I

He didn't really go into lag issues or anything though, and the community here seems to be rather well versed in this stuff and definitely not pulling punches.

For $20 my interest is peaked. I figured I had to use their SNES controllers with it.
drat, this is a pretty attractive option for super famicom owners, and i really like that they have a mock sfc controller and everything. i don't play the sfc nearly as much as my other consoles because of the super short controller cords... as nostalgic as it is to sit on the floor, it just becomes an actual pain in the rear end after about an hour or more. i've kinda gone back and forth about possibly taking snes controllers and swapping out the cords with sfc ones, but i don't like the idea of mangling oem controllers like that. i'll probably pick one up when i get paid next week.

liquid courage fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 15, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The 8bitdo controllers are also super good on your regular pc and cellphone, but the bluetooth adapters for the NES and SNES are cool and if I cared more about either console I'd probably pick one of each up.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

liquid courage posted:

drat, this is a pretty attractive option for super famicom owners, and i really like that they have a mock sfc controller and everything. i don't play the sfc nearly as much as my other consoles because of the super short controller cords... as nostalgic as it is to sit on the floor, it just becomes an actual pain in the rear end after about an hour or more. i've kinda gone back and forth about possibly taking snes controllers and swapping out the cords with sfc ones, but i don't like the idea of mangling oem controllers like that. i'll probably pick one up when i get paid next week.

I swapped the boards out on my SFC and SNES controllers and there is no mangling involved. They are exactly the same so it is a non destructive change. Only downside is the SFC doesn't have the concave X and Y buttons which is the only improvement Nintendo made with the SNES over the SFC.

For those that are interested in the 8bitdo stuff if you have a Microcenter near you they carry the full line of their products, including the bluetooth adapters.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I was thinking about getting Pat's Ultimate Nintendo Guide to the NES Library but wanted to know people's opinions on it first. How are the reviews? Are they very biased and do they seem fair? etc.

Also, what other good books do you guys recommend for retrogamers?

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

Caitlin posted:

Lookit the schedule!! These are some deep cuts and poo poo I've never even heard of. There's a goddamn Willow arcade game! And some crazy bastard out there decided to GET GOOD AT IT AND HE'S GONNA PLAY IT FOR US.

poo poo I wish I had a scene anything like this near me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Since I've been reading up on caring for old systems this week I finally went round my collection that isn't often used to check how badly they've suffered from my ignorance. Turns out my weird PAL Turbografx isn't too bad other than a bit of dirt on the game cards, but my Neo Geo Pocket Color is completely wrecked by battery acid. I'm kinda sad now.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Lookit the schedule!! These are some deep cuts and poo poo I've never even heard of. There's a goddamn Willow arcade game! And some crazy bastard out there decided to GET GOOD AT IT AND HE'S GONNA PLAY IT FOR US.

poo poo I wish I had a scene anything like this near me.

It's pretty neat to see stuff like JJ Squawkers and Raimais (misspelled "Raismais") in the mix.

At first I thought "They should play an unreleased arcade game." Then I noticed Chimera Beast.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Wizgot posted:

I was thinking about getting Pat's Ultimate Nintendo Guide to the NES Library but wanted to know people's opinions on it first. How are the reviews? Are they very biased and do they seem fair? etc.

Also, what other good books do you guys recommend for retrogamers?

I recommend this one for the overall history of Vidja Games. I enjoyed it more than the Ultimate History of Video Games, which I found to get really dry during the latter half especially around the 90s lawsuits. Replay also touches very lightly on what the Europeans were doing too most books don't even mention it.

And if you want an okay coffee table book there's Supercade which is pretty pictures and some info about early arcade games.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

I've got a friend of mine heading to Japan next week, I was looking to have her pick up a twin fami-turbo. Any other interesting consoles/accessories to have her keep an eye out for?

Also, are those twin fami able to get an hdmi mod?

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Saoshyant posted:

There's also a new Neo Geo flash cart coming out soon. Both AES and MVS versions.

http://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?thread/40-neogeo-aes-multigame-cartridge-new-poll-included-please-vote/&pageNo=1

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

2reachmu posted:

I've got a friend of mine heading to Japan next week, I was looking to have her pick up a twin fami-turbo. Any other interesting consoles/accessories to have her keep an eye out for?

Also, are those twin fami able to get an hdmi mod?

Your friend could always pick you up a Core Grafx PC Engine or even a Duo-R unit if you don't have one, though that might be more $$$ than you're interested in entrusting or committing her to spend on your behalf. Otherwise, you kind of start getting into the big money stuff (Neo Geo), the mundane (Japanese versions of the SNES, Sega Saturn, and Sega Genesis), or entering the rabbit hole of Japanese PCs and the like.

Regarding the Sharp Twin Famicoms, the Hi-Def NES mod kit page says that it does not yet work with the Sharp consoles, at the bottom:

https://www.game-tech.us/hi-def-nes-installation-guides/

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Your friend could always pick you up a Core Grafx PC Engine or even a Duo-R unit if you don't have one, though that might be more $$$ than you're interested in entrusting or committing her to spend on your behalf. Otherwise, you kind of start getting into the big money stuff (Neo Geo), the mundane (Japanese versions of the SNES, Sega Saturn, and Sega Genesis), or entering the rabbit hole of Japanese PCs and the like.

Regarding the Sharp Twin Famicoms, the Hi-Def NES mod kit page says that it does not yet work with the Sharp consoles, at the bottom:

https://www.game-tech.us/hi-def-nes-installation-guides/

I was interested in picking up a Wondermega, possibly a NeoCD. A Duo-R would be rad to have as well. Although I'd probably be interested in a Supergrafx. I'd mostly be using everdrives as to save myself the heartache of an untenable shelving solution/room of doom scenario. I'm certainly interested in weird peripherals/single game use controllers.

Japanese PCs I'm happy to leave to just straight emulation.

From what I've seen on buyee, hardoff and bookoff prices hardware is relatively cheap if you're getting something not in pristine condition with a box and inserts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
My Wife surprised me this afternoon in my sick stupor with a late birthday present. She got me a SD2SNES! Loaded it up and tried out some Adventures of Batman and Robin, found out I still can't beat the Joker, then had to fall back to my old standby, Donkey Kong Country. This cart is pretty amazing.

Loaded it up with the latest firmware as well.

• Locked thread