Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Is this a thing that actually happens or am I better off not knowing and being able to sleep peacefully?

It's something to deal with if you're sending software into a radioactive environment.

Earth's surface is radioactive to some degree-- "Studies by IBM in the 1990s suggest that computers typically experience about one cosmic-ray-induced error per 256 megabytes of RAM per month." (source)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Sedro posted:

It's something to deal with if you're sending software into a radioactive environment.

Earth's surface is radioactive to some degree-- "Studies by IBM in the 1990s suggest that computers typically experience about one cosmic-ray-induced error per 256 megabytes of RAM per month." (source)

Or if you run sufficiently many machines over a sufficiently long period of time.

It's kind of rude that intel has been very inconsistent on supporting ECC ram outside of server chips.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Pollyanna posted:

With regards to testing paths and scenario combinations, here's an example of something I'm working on right now. We encode 2D data as a Datum that coordinates between a Row and a Column. We recently had a production issue where there somehow ended up being two Datums per Row+Column pair where it is assumed that there is only ever one, and we need to enforce a one-Datum-per-pair rule to prevent that from happening again and causing bugs and unexpected behavior.

The important thing to keep in mind is the different dimensions to each interacting system and the assumptions placed upon them. For example:

• Rows are assumed to be valid.
  • Columns are assumed to be valid.
  • Columns have about 8 or so different types.
  • Datums can optionally have Targets associated with them or not.
  • A Datum already exists for an RC pairs, or does not already exist.

Additionally, there are a couple different places where the number of Datums associated with RC pairs is important (i.e. where poo poo broke in the first place):

• The Table view (view of Datums X Rows X Columns)
  • The Graph view (donut graph summary of Datums's values and statuses)

Our actual goal is "make sure each Row-Column pair hs only one Datum associated with it". But in order to be comprehensive and cover all possible paths, we need to test this validation given each permutation of model validity, Column type, existence of a Target, and pre-existing Datum given each context of "Table view" and "Graph view". So, the list of test cases, in RSpec, looks like this (without expectations written out): Pastebinned for length.

Now, this is close to the worst case scenario, where we try to test each possible outcome regardless of relevance. But, we've run into many bugs where a part of the application that appeared to be totally unrelated to the feature or bug at hand ended up relevant somehow (e.g. the user that's logged in, the type of data we're working with, the user's permissions, the Board's relation to other Boards, the JavaScript in the view, etc.) and so the current sentiment to testing is to play it safe and try all sorts of possible states.

That's the idea behind our approach, at least from talking with my other co-worker. I personally disagree with testing the Target portion of that since it was orthogonal to the "only one Datum per pair" issue, but it seems like we're leaning towards testing that anyway.

#R * #C * 8 * 2 * 2 = 32 * #R * #C

Just generate that poo poo automatically or quickcheck it

lmao at hand-writing that RSpec

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Is this a thing that actually happens or am I better off not knowing and being able to sleep peacefully?

rad-hard chips are sold for a reason

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 10, 2016

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

It smells like you're trying to solve a problem in the "wrong" place. The first thing that comes to mind is that you should try to make those illegal states unrepresentable. Do whatever you can to make it literally impossible to break your invariants. If you're storing this stuff in a database, it may be possible to enforce invariants on it there.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
ECC RAM is supposed to be sufficient enough for the bit flip scenarios until you reach Google and Facebook kinds of scale. I had about a bitflip once per month for a year but it looked to be a slow-fail RAM UDIMM that caused those errors. Even still, I have had a couple in a year and those have led to reboots rather than writing erroneous data to a system. The chances of bitflips also increase with your altitude which is why that NSA datacenter in Utah is weird of a decision for me but also other operational factors make it better than most of the coastal areas not to mention the sheer number of Mormons in the intelligence community.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Thank for the answer about testing.

I get testing for code path and also testing for helping future dev not break existing bugs and features aka regression testing. I also get testing for most probable success and failure of use case.

That is not all possible scenario tho, it seems to me that "all possible scenario" has different meaning depending on who you talk.

So in the case of the tuples of Pollyanna : I think the double Datum per pair is a data integrity issue that should have been handled by the RDBMS. Is it a Sql or NoSql ?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

AWWNAW posted:

It smells like you're trying to solve a problem in the "wrong" place. The first thing that comes to mind is that you should try to make those illegal states unrepresentable. Do whatever you can to make it literally impossible to break your invariants. If you're storing this stuff in a database, it may be possible to enforce invariants on it there.

This is what we should be doing. In lieu of having a greenfield, smartly-built codebase, we gotta do TDD out the wazoo to make sure the spaghetti doesn't strangle us. It's also difficult to decompose the problem down to valid data types and the like when there's to actual spec to speak of :(

Whatever, I've blathered on about it enough. I'll be moving to a new project after the new year anyway, where it can all start all over again.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I'm currently employed at a 20-25 person agency doing .NET work, but I listen to the Freelancer's Show podcast semi-regularly because the content interests me and I feel like a lot of the same principles apply to a small agency.

Anyway, one of the regular people on their panel is Jonathan Stark, who is a very vocal proponent of nixing hourly billing. Hourly billing and the processes that surround it make me want to strangle myself more than just about anything else with this job, so I'm obviously interested in the subject.

He can come off kinda shill-y on his website / social media, but he seems like a smart guy. There's a series of articles that describe his philosophy on his site, the best single one is probably this one: https://expensiveproblem.com/trust-fractures-how-hourly-billing-hurts-software-projects. but the rest are ok too.

Any thoughts on this? Useful? Impractical? Just a guy trying to find a niche to sell a book or two in?

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Iverron posted:

Would you mind sharing the exercise? If not that's cool.

We haven't had the best experiences hiring lately and the exercises / questions our leads are asking aren't getting the job done. I'd rather transition to something like what you're describing.

Sure. We give the candidate two files full of 2D points (one tiny and one big), and ask them to write a program to find the point furthest away from any other point. The files are just lines of the form:

code:
name x y
The instructions provide the correct answer for both files, so the candidate can verify their solution. They can use whatever language, but we state we expect the program to be better than O(N^2) (and ideally be fast in practice). We also ask that the program read input from standard input and write the point name as output to standard output.

There is some narrow overlap with the domain we work in, but really we find it's a nice enough exercise because it requires a little bit of research if people are not familiar with spatial data, and requires a little bit of implementation. It's nice because it should generally not take that long, and it also gives us something to talk about with the candidate.

Not sure if that would be appropriate for you to use, but I'm sure there are equivalents for your domain? I think we could easily switch to a different but similarly scoped exercise and get the same benefit.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
The algorithm I remember for 2D points was to write quad trees and search for the minimal and maximal elements and that unless you have a pathological case you'll wind up with O(log n) for lookups. Everyone that's written a non-trivial 2D collision detection system (better than exhaustive bounding box checks) has experience with it. Sounds like geospatial databases if that's a basic screener question.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

return0 posted:

Sure. We give the candidate two files full of 2D points (one tiny and one big), and ask them to write a program to find the point furthest away from any other point. The files are just lines of the form:

code:
name x y
The instructions provide the correct answer for both files, so the candidate can verify their solution. They can use whatever language, but we state we expect the program to be better than O(N^2) (and ideally be fast in practice). We also ask that the program read input from standard input and write the point name as output to standard output.

There is some narrow overlap with the domain we work in, but really we find it's a nice enough exercise because it requires a little bit of research if people are not familiar with spatial data, and requires a little bit of implementation. It's nice because it should generally not take that long, and it also gives us something to talk about with the candidate.

Not sure if that would be appropriate for you to use, but I'm sure there are equivalents for your domain? I think we could easily switch to a different but similarly scoped exercise and get the same benefit.

I wouldn't even know how to start optimizing. :negative: I think I could write the stupid solution, but. :negative:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

HardDiskD posted:

I wouldn't even know how to start optimizing. :negative: I think I could write the stupid solution, but. :negative:

The N^2 solution is trivial.

Just make the voronoi diagram given by the points and return the largest cell. I don't know off-hand an efficient algorithm for generating one though.

e: but I'm like 99% sure that's the solution and if the job doesn't involve a bunch of pure math and/or graph theory day to day it's a pretty bad question

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

The algorithm I remember for 2D points was to write quad trees and search for the minimal and maximal elements and that unless you have a pathological case you'll wind up with O(log n) for lookups. Everyone that's written a non-trivial 2D collision detection system (better than exhaustive bounding box checks) has experience with it. Sounds like geospatial databases if that's a basic screener question.

Are you sure you're answering the same question? He's asking for a single point that's further away from all other points than any other. Though I'd want to clarify what further means: is that just the point with the largest minimum distance to any other point? So ex. You could have many points on a circle and 1 point in the middle, and the middle point would be furthest even though other point pairs were further apart?

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Iverron posted:

I'm currently employed at a 20-25 person agency doing .NET work, but I listen to the Freelancer's Show podcast semi-regularly because the content interests me and I feel like a lot of the same principles apply to a small agency.

Anyway, one of the regular people on their panel is Jonathan Stark, who is a very vocal proponent of nixing hourly billing. Hourly billing and the processes that surround it make me want to strangle myself more than just about anything else with this job, so I'm obviously interested in the subject.

He can come off kinda shill-y on his website / social media, but he seems like a smart guy. There's a series of articles that describe his philosophy on his site, the best single one is probably this one: https://expensiveproblem.com/trust-fractures-how-hourly-billing-hurts-software-projects. but the rest are ok too.

Any thoughts on this? Useful? Impractical? Just a guy trying to find a niche to sell a book or two in?

He states:

quote:

When I'm ranting about hourly billing, I'm specifically referring to hourly billing within the context of a project, which I define thusly:

A collaborative enterprise that is designed to achieve a particular aim.

That's cool for a freelancer who does small, manageable projects, but it doesn't scale. I'm convinced that when it comes to developing products of strategic importance to a company, the whole idea of a "project" is an illusion. There is no project, there is no "particular aim".

https://www.infoq.com/articles/kelly-beyond-projects

In my experience the amount of arguing with the client is way way worse when you try to fix the scope / budget / time, instead of just delivering value and building trust.

return0
Apr 11, 2007
It's a nearest neighbour problem, it wants the point with the highest nearest neighbour distance value. There are a bunch of solutions that for non pathological input will be between nlogn and n^2. Yes, the work involves quite a bit of geospatial data manipulation.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, fixed cost + fixed scope + fixed quality is just a trap, that's all there is to it. You have to give your client SOMETHING onto which to make tangible judgements about priorities and cost. Hours blind thinking can work fine when you're on retainer, but you still need to know roughly what it's gonna take to achieve a thing.

When the rubber hits the road, a client is buying some chunk of your time, it may be 40hrs a week, it may be 20 hrs a week, it could be over a period of 4 months or just a fortnight.

The time has to be charged for and paid for at some part of the chain. Quotes are the devil in software development, they really are. I honestly don't believe I will ever enter into a project that has been accurately scoped and estimated to the last detail. The 2 man shop I'm a part of deliver on time because we estimate front end well, leave padding, and we don't quote/only estimate.

You'll get us for <x> hrs a week for <y> weeks/months and we'll chat every week about how our estimates line up with our reality. If we get to the end we'll make sure to push towards something releasable, but we won't hold ourselves to delivering every single feature that was raised in project discovery.

In the end of the day we ride on our ability to communicate, manage expectations, and be trustworthy at what we say we'll do, without holding ourselves to promises we can't keep.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Messyass posted:

That's cool for a freelancer who does small, manageable projects, but it doesn't scale.

Yeah, his target audience is solo freelancers with good positioning, and in that context I think he's right: value-based pricing is in the best interests of both parties.

quote:

I'm convinced that when it comes to developing products of strategic importance to a company, the whole idea of a "project" is an illusion. There is no project, there is no "particular aim".

https://www.infoq.com/articles/kelly-beyond-projects

In my experience the amount of arguing with the client is way way worse when you try to fix the scope / budget / time, instead of just delivering value and building trust.

:agreed:

I also like what Dorian Taylor says on the subject.

e: Or maybe this one explains his rationale better? He's a discursive fella.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 11, 2016

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I feel like that point exercise would be me deriving equations on paper for most of the time and then just converting it into code at the end.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Thanks guys.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, fixed cost + fixed scope + fixed quality is just a trap, that's all there is to it. You have to give your client SOMETHING onto which to make tangible judgements about priorities and cost. Hours blind thinking can work fine when you're on retainer, but you still need to know roughly what it's gonna take to achieve a thing.

When the rubber hits the road, a client is buying some chunk of your time, it may be 40hrs a week, it may be 20 hrs a week, it could be over a period of 4 months or just a fortnight.

The time has to be charged for and paid for at some part of the chain. Quotes are the devil in software development, they really are. I honestly don't believe I will ever enter into a project that has been accurately scoped and estimated to the last detail. The 2 man shop I'm a part of deliver on time because we estimate front end well, leave padding, and we don't quote/only estimate.

You'll get us for <x> hrs a week for <y> weeks/months and we'll chat every week about how our estimates line up with our reality. If we get to the end we'll make sure to push towards something releasable, but we won't hold ourselves to delivering every single feature that was raised in project discovery.

In the end of the day we ride on our ability to communicate, manage expectations, and be trustworthy at what we say we'll do, without holding ourselves to promises we can't keep.

I definitely agree with this and have pushed for a somewhat similar strategy in the past, without much luck. I'll dive a little more into these articles and try to come up with a better defense.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Iverron posted:

As a freelance web dev I am in agreement with this, but only for smaller projects. If something is in the sub-$50k range it probably involves technology and platforms I've used before, or project goals that are similar to ones I've achieved in the past. Therefore they're easy enough to estimate and there's very little danger that I'll lose money on the project. If it's above that range then I'm probably contracting out work or dealing with a lot of other unknowns, and proposing a defined scope with a set price becomes a little dangerous.

At the end of the day it boils down to how you want to have conversations with clients. There's always something that gets added to a project late in the game, or an element that takes longer to code than you expected and now you're a little outside of where you'd want to be in terms of hours. Your ability to give in these scenarios is important for client relations. I find it's easier to pad a scoped project's budget a little to accommodate for these events rather than padding an hourly estimate, especially if you're updating clients on your hours used. When the client inevitably asks for something that's out of scope, with a scoped project you can say yes (if you have the padding) and make them happy, or you can say no and point to the scope in the contract you both agreed to. With hours you're pointing to hours remaining in your project and it's easy for the conversation to turn sour ("Well why did it take you so long to code X before? Can't you just be a little more efficient with your time and fit this in?"). It doesn't always happen that way, but it can.

I may have repeated things he said in that article... it's early and I didn't read it yet. :)

e: Also, at my previous job I saw the worst case scenario – my employer would propose set scopes that were based on hours, but my boss wouldn't tell clients that they were hour based. Clients were under the impression they were scope based. We tracked hours internally and when we started getting close to our maximum my boss would respond to any new requests with, "we're going to go over hours, if you want X you have to pay us more." This was about the worst thing possible for client relations. I've been in contact with a handful of our old clients after I left and it's a mix of folks who like the firm (if the project remained in scope and that conversation never happened), and folks who loathe the firm and will actively try to steer people away from working with them (if that conversation did happen).

So I have a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to hourly work.

kedo fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 12, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The way I like to think of it is: it's axiomatically impossible for the client to get everything they want, and "finished sooner" and "costs less" are things they can want. Establish priorities, with hard business requirements including budgets and deadlines represented as higher priorities.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Another aspect of hourly billing is constantly capitulating with troublesome clients on billable hours and hourly rate. I'm not the business guy, but that seems to foster more bad relationships than just about anything else we do. Does it change my paycheck? No, but it starts shifting expectations into magician land when margins are so slim.

My boss has also started taking it upon himself to throw out quotes based on a meeting and a "feel" for how "simple" projects are without involving a Developer. This place is hard to like sometimes, flyover state or not.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Miniature rant: What's the point of trying to push scrum/agile/lean through your software development process when the wider (and significantly larger) business don't even believe that poo poo. We could subordinate those bottlenecks and planning poker all loving day but you run into this poo poo:

:qq: "What's the point of releasing something after 2 weeks, it won't be perfect!"

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Cancelbot posted:

Miniature rant: What's the point of trying to push scrum/agile/lean through your software development process when the wider (and significantly larger) business don't even believe that poo poo. We could subordinate those bottlenecks and planning poker all loving day but you run into this poo poo:

:qq: "What's the point of releasing something after 2 weeks, it won't be perfect!"

:sever:

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Who are you delivering software for? It's like that where I am at the moment, but luckily the clients we deliver to are outside the business, so our team has been able to kinda do our own thing bullheadedly/under-the-radar as appropriate and then let the results speak for themselves. It's taken years but it seems to be bringing the business round. Unfortunately a lot of 'getting' agile from the businesses point of view is building trust and having them give up control, which takes ages, especially if big egos are involved.

The other day I went to a training session about 'change control'. I understand that changes to live systems need some kind of control, but they way they've proposed involves every single change to any production system anywhere (there are around a hundred) going through one, single, centralised 'change advisory board'. Sounds like it's going to be a massive bottleneck and frictionfest. Shouldn't that sort of thing be split up and delegated to individual teams who know best?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Pretty much. If you're stuck in an environment that refuses to acknowledge the reality of the work you do, you will likely never change it through your own effort. Agility must be management sanctioned, or they will continue to hamstring the process.

My little 2 man shop opens with a discovery process every time, usually aiming for a cost of a couple grand without ongoing commitment. We do this because we refuse to be held to a development/design budget that we didn't properly scope out ahead of time, but like we'd ever be able to force that issue if we didn't run ourselves.

Turns out any workshop we've done has resulted in the rest of the project successfully won, costed correctly, etc, but like you could ever change a sales pipeline focussed company to ever go for something like that.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

toiletbrush posted:

The other day I went to a training session about 'change control'. I understand that changes to live systems need some kind of control, but they way they've proposed involves every single change to any production system anywhere (there are around a hundred) going through one, single, centralised 'change advisory board'. Sounds like it's going to be a massive bottleneck and frictionfest. Shouldn't that sort of thing be split up and delegated to individual teams who know best?

Stories like this always remind me that at the end of his life, someone asked Deming how he'd like to be remembered, and he said he probably wouldn't be.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There's usually an ebb and flow. Too many production changes go wrong due to stupid errors, so a process is created to review them. But then the process gets too heavy so various fast tracks are added (VP override, "standard" changes.) Eventually almost all the changes bypass the process and then if quality starts to go down, the whole cycle repeats.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

toiletbrush posted:

This is where the concept of a standard change comes in. Basically for low-risk tasks you do all the time, you present it to the CAB once. They approve it, and then you have free rein to make that change whenever necessary. You still track what was done and when, but it doesn't need to go to the weekly CAB meeting or whatever. If it turns out these changes are causing outages, that rubber stamp gets revoked until you fix your poo poo and come up with a more reliable procedure.

Not saying this is the greatest setup ever, but if they're going to go full ITIL on you, it makes change control more tolerable to navigate.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

toiletbrush posted:

Are you in a regulated industry?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

toiletbrush posted:

Have you ever heard anyone mention the acronym "ITIL" anywhere in these conversations? You should probably run not because ITIL is bad (I think it's had bad implementation so far... like communism and fascism!) but because most organizations that think it's good are authoritarian and want to disempower those closest to work from making decisions and to justify the existence of more managers rather than skilled implementors in an effort to control costs.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

necrobobsledder posted:

Have you ever heard anyone mention the acronym "ITIL" anywhere in these conversations?

What does ITIL stand for?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

nelson posted:

What does ITIL stand for?

A bunch of horseshit bureaucracy.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

Are you in a regulated industry?
One part of the business is, but the majority isn't.

necrobobsledder posted:

Have you ever heard anyone mention the acronym "ITIL" anywhere in these conversations?
It wasn't mentioned in the presentation or docs, but I asked, and yes, its in line with ITIL.

necrobobsledder posted:

...most organizations that think it's good are authoritarian and want to disempower those closest to work from making decisions and to justify the existence of more managers rather than skilled implementors in an effort to control costs.
This matches our environment pretty well. We actually have a pretty shallow management hierarchy, but everything is moving towards being centralised, with lots of process, documentation, approval, and other ways of preventing teams from being autonomous. You need a balance obvs, but it feels like we're way off and this will make it worse.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

toiletbrush posted:

Who are you delivering software for? ...

We are a .com selling household appliances, TVs etc. No physical stores at all so the whole business hinges on code and the development teams. I'm just coming out of a 6 month project whereby nothing was deliverable until right at the end, partly because we are poo poo devs who should have thought a few more steps ahead. But mostly because the business were very much "feature X can't go out until feature Y is 100% done", with sensible decision making we could have easily delivered incremental value and they could have easily cut losses, changed tack or evaluated performance at much earlier stages.

But its 6 months in, we're committed now!

Our head of development is actually awesome and will try to shield us from this poo poo, and encourage proper best practices. But the directors are a pain in the arse to deal with, to the point they can force crap like this through.

Cancelbot fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 14, 2016

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Cancelbot posted:

We are a .com selling household appliances, TVs etc. No physical stores at all so the whole business hinges on code and the development teams. I'm just coming out of a 6 month project whereby nothing was deliverable until right at the end, partly because we are poo poo devs who should have thought a few more steps ahead. But mostly because the business were very much "feature X can't go out until feature Y is 100% done", with sensible decision making we could have easily delivered incremental value and they could have easily cut losses, changed tack or evaluated performance at much earlier stages.

But its 6 months in, we're committed now!

Our head of development is actually awesome and will try to shield us from this poo poo, and encourage proper best practices. But the directors are a pain in the arse to deal with, to the point they can force crap through.

Your boss sounds like they own, but the company sounds bad. That's tough.
:sever:

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Starting a new job Monday. No idea who my boss is, asked a couple times already.

Normally, no big deal since I'd just show up and wander around looking for familiar faces. But it's a remote position. I'm sure it'll work out fine eventually, but it amuses me. Also, my main contact is out on vacation.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Gounads posted:

Starting a new job Monday. No idea who my boss is, asked a couple times already.

Normally, no big deal since I'd just show up and wander around looking for familiar faces. But it's a remote position. I'm sure it'll work out fine eventually, but it amuses me. Also, my main contact is out on vacation.

My prediction after having watched Office Space: Everyone will forget about you but the paychecks will keep coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

nelson posted:

My prediction after having watched Office Space: Everyone will forget about you but the paychecks will keep coming.

This would be ideal. Unfortunately I don't know where to send invoices yet.