Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Eopia posted:

It's really easy to level now. It slows down as you get higher, but I've gotten Machinist from 40 to 50 over the past few hours just by running Palace of the Dead, as a bonus I'm getting an i235 weapon out of it, as well as a new mount and a bunch of other loot.

i just jumped about 50% of the way from 51 - 52 doing just 1-20 potd, its great experience and the rewards are worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

vOv posted:

I'm pretty sure I've crit for like 15k as a BLM with BV Foe's, Trick Attack, and a drac pot in i239 (with the 240 relic). Might even broke 16k once or twice.

I've critted 15.something K a few times at..uhhh.. i238 I think, without a potion and I can't remember if Foe's was up or not and I'm kind of bad, so yeah. Numbers are getting large.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The patch nerfs are also at a point where all the current gear easily gets you the ilevels needed, unlike unlucky me who had to spend a million gil to beat 3.3.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless snail posted:

If you haven't played since they added hall of the novice, make sure you run through that and get the exp ring

Oh sweet, didn't even know that existed. I'll definitely do that. Speed up the time it takes to get DRG to the point where it owns.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It also depends where you are in the story. I assume you have at least Costa Sol unlocked, which has Out to Sea leve which literally a level 1 character can complete for that sweet level 34 type EXP.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Raid Finder has been my jam the last couple days. All my sophia's have been one shots with the occasional two shot. People seem to know their poo poo and I haven't had a single disruptive person in party. I don't know how this ended up being so much better than the shitshow that is party finder, but here we are.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

the people that you find in party finder haven't found out about raid finder yet because they don't read patch notes don't tell them

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tae posted:

It also depends where you are in the story. I assume you have at least Costa Sol unlocked, which has Out to Sea leve which literally a level 1 character can complete for that sweet level 34 type EXP.

...Huh. I've never heard of this. Sounds like a useful tool.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tae posted:

The patch nerfs are also at a point where all the current gear easily gets you the ilevels needed, unlike unlucky me who had to spend a million gil to beat 3.3.

Why did you 'have to' spend a million gil to finish 3.3?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

I finished all of the 2.0 story and I've definitely been through Costa del Sol so probably? Either way drat that sounds good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Because lore gear only went up to like 210 and nidhog was higher than that, so I had to buy some eikon gear to actually fight it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nidhogg requires i205. That's a haphazard mix of esoterics gear, lore gear, and midas gear

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Whatever it was, that ilevel wasn't easily bought outside of mb eikon gear and uograded void material. Now it's super easy with 230 easily bought by the common 60 lore.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Wonder how hard BLMs and DRGs can crit right now, barring e.g. Ravana shenanigans

As a humble i241 war im regularly getting 10-11k fell cleaves now :black101:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kuvo posted:

As a humble i241 war im regularly getting 10-11k fell cleaves now :black101:

I managed to get five digits right before the tank nerf. It's good to be back.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Sadly I don't know the source.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Meanwhile on PLD I'm getting starry eyed at 4-6k Royal Authority crits :v:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

what time/what day do we expect to get fanfest news, and is there any hope for those of us at home without a stream ticket to get info in a timely manner?

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
There will likely be posts on reddit literally seconds after info is announced.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I don't understand all the people on the OF asking for more "open world content" or "overworld content."

Hunts suck, FATES suck.. anything 'open world' in FFXI sucked. I occasionally see them citing World Quests in WoW but those are literally just FATES where you have your own progress bar and can only do a certain amount before they have to respawn. What game did they play that made them so starry eyed for more open world poo poo?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

World PVP.

Yeaaaaah.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

CuddlyZombie posted:

what time/what day do we expect to get fanfest news, and is there any hope for those of us at home without a stream ticket to get info in a timely manner?

Usually the info gets put out to various outlets immediately, although it can take a few hours for a complete picture to emerge because everybody rushes to be 'first' and sometimes that means people get it wrong (see, every goddamn live letter where they don't have real time translation, for example) for a bit.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dastardly posted:

Sadly I don't know the source.

the sickest burn

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i have a squadron chemistry now that specifically says "all team members" so the other one i was talking about yesterday was definitely for the individual

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

:ughh: Well... the cap will probably be raised eventually! Though may as well swap it for a new chemistry if one shows up.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
if you buy game time at like 11:59 pm and then it goes over to the next day

does it count it as being a day of game time

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

General Morden posted:

if you buy game time at like 11:59 pm and then it goes over to the next day

does it count it as being a day of game time

No your time will be up at 11:59 pm in 30 days.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I think I wanna take some time to reminisce about 1.0 too.

I was really, really big into XI, so I was cautiously optimistic about XIV. I made the decision to switch to XIV if it ended up being a good game. You can imagine how that worked out. Within about two weeks, I was already back to just playing only XI. It's true that XIV was an extremely gorgeous game, but that was the only thing it had going for it on release- the graphics and music. It is also true that the game did not have auto-attack on release, and battles were extremely boring and slow. They wanted to make XIV stand out from XI, so they chose not to have classic-named Final Fantasy jobs like Paladin or Black Mage and instead went with the armoury classes with names like Gladiator and Thaumaturge. Many of the ideas they had to make XIV different from XI ended up just alienating people. It turns out that when you try to throw out everything you know about making online games and learn things from the ground up, it's not always a great idea. The music was great but I think a majority of the tracks Uematsu composed were never actually implemented in the game.

I think it was a month or so after release, SE resolved not to charge monthly fees for the game until they felt they had something worth paying for. After that point, they unveiled the Legacy program, all that fun stuff. My friend was still playing the game at this point and invited me back to see what had changed. There were definitely a lot of bonuses to make the game... well, playable. The system still felt very awkward, like makeshift auction house wards filled with lifeless NPCs. Players, regardless of jobs or even LEVEL, could equip almost any equipment, and most equipment bonuses were lost on people so it felt like it really came down to Weapon Level above all else. Amazingly enough, all of this stuff was still an improvement on the original game. Even if it wasn't great yet, it was clear that they were atleast experimenting in ways to figure out how to fix the broken mess.

What story the team did for 1.0 was was good, but it was so limited. For those interested, the original Tanaka storyline can be watched on Youtube, as well as most of the story content that was added after Yoshida took over. There was a plotpoint about the Player Character, an Echo wielder who worked with Minfilia's Circle of Knowing, joining together with a Path Companion. This Path Companion could be any of the races and could be given a pseudonym by the main character. The culmination of the Tanaka storyline involved going out with the Path Companion to help some Ala Mhigan refugees who were ambushed by Gaius van Baelsar. The cutscene for this ended in a cliffhanger and I think they just completely forgot about it when Yoshida gained control. Once Yoshida was in charge, he began having the team make lots more quests, like Hildibrand. He also spearheaded the Grand Company storyline, which culminated in Nael van Darnus summoning Meteor. By 1.23, the game had really come into its own and finally felt like a true Final Fantasy, even if it was built on a twitching corpse.

1.0's Tanaka plot is referenced in the game here and there. Limsa Lominsa had a prominent Roegadyn lieutenant named Stahlmann who was trying to use his power to gain the position of Admiral, long before Merlwyb was a thing. Through the plot, Stahlmann fell from grace and changed his name to "Rostnstahl," or "Rusted Steel." Anyone who has done any of the Machinist quests will know this character. Additionally, Limsa Lominsa first introduced the idea of the Ascians with an NPC named "Trevanchet," an Elezen who tricked Stahlmann and Y'shtola into relinquishing a horn with similar aetherial gathering powers as Louisoix's Tupsimati. The most recent patch managed to discreetly close this plot thread.

Ul'dah's plot largely dealt with Ascilia, the girl who would become Minfilia. F'lhaminn, through a series of hardships, decides to act as Ascilia's guardian after her father dies in an incident. There are a lot of interesting plot threads that happen here and there in Ul'dah's 1.0 storyline, and I'm wondering if Ala Mhigo's expansion will dip into some of these unanswered threads.

1.0 Gridania's story was kind of interesting but almost nothing from it really leads into ARR. If anything, 1.0 Gridania just makes it out to be a far more savage area and drives home just how bullshit the Elementals in control of the Black Shroud really are. Kan-E-Senna's introduction made the place better exponentially.

To get back out of plot and to sum up, 1.23 felt far more complete than 1.0. There was finally "life" in the game. The final month of the game, my desktop PC finally gave up the ghost, and I honestly think that XIV had a lot to do with that. The game was so hardware intensive. Yes, it definitely was absolutely gorgeous, but boy did it take a lot of resources. So I didn't get to enjoy the final fight with Nael on Rivenroad, but I did finish the final quest right before it, and that mostly satisfied me going into ARR. ARR is 100% a better game than 1.0 and 1.23 and it was easy to see immediately after starting the game up, but 1.0-1.23 were still fascinating experiences I'm happy to reflect on.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

World PVP.

Yeaaaaah.

what's this now?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Grimace posted:

[snipped for length]

This is a good and interesting post, thanks for posting this.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This is a good and interesting post, thanks for posting this.

You are welcome. I think there are still several goons from the 1.0 days who still play the game. Some of them are with other Free Companies now, others have come and gone. Hearing peoples' thoughts on how things were back then is always pretty interesting because, honestly, I played a lot in the days of 1.23 but I still experienced very little of what the game had to offer. The best gear back then was Darklight and that involved beating the Cutter's Cry Chimera, I think. The final pieces of Artifact Armour would otherwise require people to very slightly delve into Cutter's Cry, Dzemael Darkhold, or Aurum Vale. And boy, I remember that being extremely tense. The dungeons retain the same aesthetic in ARR, but back then they definitely felt like sprawling labyrinths. Even if AF was only the second best gear, it still kind of commanded some respect because of how time consuming it could be. Anyone who had a relic weapon these days definitely earned it through pain and suffering, too.

Interesting to note is that the story in ARR for the job quests of Paladin, Warrior, Black Mage, White Mage, Monk, Bard, and Dragoon are much the same as they were in 1.23, just truncated and made simpler for brevity. I think every piece of armor used to require a reasonable amount of party members to acquire, particularly for the final fight.

One interesting thing I would like to think about from 1.0 is Behest. There were many aetheryte camps in the game world, and at random times they would have FATE-like mechanics where a Grand Company soldier would appear and call people to him to defend the area. He'd take point and players would follow behind him, defeating any monsters that popped up. These Behests were often VERY populated because they would give lots of EXP, and I remember them being quite a frenzy. ARR lost Behests and instead gained Guildhests and FATEs.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

The Grimace posted:

Interesting to note is that the story in ARR for the job quests of Paladin, Warrior, Black Mage, White Mage, Monk, Bard, and Dragoon are much the same as they were in 1.23, just truncated and made simpler for brevity. I think every piece of armor used to require a reasonable amount of party members to acquire, particularly for the final fight.

From what I've seen of the 1.0 job quests on Youtube, White Mage was actually the only different one for some reason. Maybe because it involved lots of elementals, and the lore team decided that the Calamity had made the elementals much less of an active force?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hamlet Defense was certainly an interesting idea.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Verranicus posted:

I don't understand all the people on the OF asking for more "open world content" or "overworld content."

Hunts suck, FATES suck.. anything 'open world' in FFXI sucked. I occasionally see them citing World Quests in WoW but those are literally just FATES where you have your own progress bar and can only do a certain amount before they have to respawn. What game did they play that made them so starry eyed for more open world poo poo?

World quests are absolutely fates - but they're also a much slower, alternative path of gearing and powering up your weapon. It's a little disingenuous to present them as "just fates", since the FATE aspect isn't what those OF posts are stressing, I suspect. It's overworld content that matters - more like how hunts have translated to gear upgrades in the past.

I think it's a poor fit for FF14's model, but maybe they could add a small amount of tomestones to FATEs to accomplish something similar? :shrug:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Zandar posted:

From what I've seen of the 1.0 job quests on Youtube, White Mage was actually the only different one for some reason. Maybe because it involved lots of elementals, and the lore team decided that the Calamity had made the elementals much less of an active force?

Oh, White Mage was different? Well, thanks for the heads up- that will give me something to research when I get bored. Then I can try to figure out just why they changed it, too.

I'm excited for Koji's lore panel in two days. I hope they answer my question, or atleast acknowledge it. :allears:

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

The Grimace posted:

Thank you so much for this post! They kept making vague hints about Rostnstahl's past in the Machinist quests and I was waiting the whole time to hear his backstory and… mostly didn't, so I just figured that was just how they wanted to keep him, but I didn't realize his backstory was already fleshed out in 1.0! That's really neat.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2016/All_Saints_Wake/

https://clyp.it/eedt4fny

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C-capes?!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dunno why you linked to imgur, they do processing on stuff you upload to it, and kills quality. Here, directly from SE's own server:

http://img.finalfantasyxiv.com/lds/pc/global/images/special/2016/All_Saints_Wake/main_art.jpg

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Dunno why you linked to imgur

Because the forums have always had a no hotlinking rule.

• Locked thread