Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I think Abbott's just trolling. Abbott and Trump are both fuckwits, but they're completely different kinds of fuckwits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I'm impressed that Tony Abbott has no loving idea what conservatism is.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Nothing says "conserve" like throwing more money at what has to be the biggest expenditure on the planet!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
How to fix a budget deficit?

Cut taxes and boost defence spending! It's classic conservatism™. :allears:

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Cartoon posted:

How to fix a budget deficit?

Cut taxes and boost defence spending! It's classic conservatism™. :allears:

I'll have you know the british empire was built on low taxes and a generous defence budget

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is Conservatism even a coherent ideology that exists in this country?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Depends how you think about conservatism. It's like liberalism in that the word can mean almost whatever you want it to mean.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
If the fundies are so keen on taking the bible at it's word then why aren't they rabid about the following:

Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material. Leviticus 19:19 No polycotton blend.

Ye shall not round the corners of your heads. Leviticus 19:27 NO YOU SHALL NOT!!!!!!!11!!!

All that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you. Leviticus 9:10 No prawns on your BBQ.

Thou shalt not boil a kid in its mother’s milk. Exodus 23:19 Not something that comes up every day but...

When men fight with one another, and the wife of the one draws near to rescue her husband from the hand of him who is beating him, and puts out her hand and seizes him by the private parts, then you shall cut off her hand. Deuteronomy 25:11-12 drat right you do!

Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys. 2 Kings 2:23-25 NIV A loving God.

Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered. Matthew 21:18-22 NIV Jesus the Green candidate for bethsheba.

Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves. Numbers 31:17-18 Got to get some sweet virgin poontang! Kill everyone else, obviously.

He [Josiah] executed the priests of the pagan shrines on their own altars, and he burned human bones on the altars to desecrate them…. He did this in obedience to all the laws written in the scroll that Hilkiah the priest had found in the LORD’s Temple. Never before had there been a king like Josiah, who turned to the LORD with all his heart and soul and strength, obeying all the laws of Moses. And there has never been a king like him since. 2 Kings 23:20-25 NLT I'm only doing what the voices told me too!

You may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT Slaves are OK today right?

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. Ephesians 6:5 NLT What would Jesus do?

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. Deuteronomy 21:18-21 And he will still have to wait to go on Centerlink.

If a man has sex with an animal, he must be put to death, and the animal must be killed. Leviticus 20:15 NLT Even Chris Kenny thinks this is extreme. It's OK for women to roger the pets apparently. That's why we need a men's right movement.

No one whose testicles are crushed or whose penis is cut off shall be admitted to the assembly of the LORD. Deuteronomy 23:1 NRSV Don't bust my balls! Even God won't want me!

Whosoever … hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God. For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookback, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken … He shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries. Leviticus 21:17-23 KJV Yeah get hosed cripples.

Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same. Luke 3:11 NIV Come on man just give me your spare shirt.

Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place. Ephesians 5:4 NIV I was only reading the bible out loud.

Original source http://www.salon.com/2014/05/31/11_kinds_of_bible_verses_christians_love_to_ignore_partner/

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Cartoon posted:

If the fundies are so keen on taking the bible at it's word then why aren't they rabid about the following:

Original source http://www.salon.com/2014/05/31/11_kinds_of_bible_verses_christians_love_to_ignore_partner/

Don't forget - no tattoos: Lev 19:28.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Wow it's like i'm back in high school being an edgy atheist again.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

chyaroh posted:

Don't forget - no tattoos: Lev 19:28.
What christian fundie would have a tattoo?

The one that started the derail

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cartoon posted:

Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys. 2 Kings 2:23-25 NIV A loving God.

this loving owns

Ixnay on the Omelet
Sep 11, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
and yet it's overwhelmingly not the Christians who are stoning women for being raped and killing gay people.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Yeah they prefer to make gay people do the killing themselves.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

cohsae posted:

Yeah they prefer to make gay people do the killing themselves.
And for them to stay in countries where they are persecuted.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And for them to stay in countries where they are persecuted.

Jesus knew there was a place for everyone in the world.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

loving hell at this gleeson brandis thing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Synthbuttrange posted:

loving hell at this gleeson brandis thing.

It's turned into a complete shitshow, but I bet Malcolm will try to ignore it and hope it goes away

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

You Am I posted:

It's turned into a complete shitshow, but I bet Malcolm will try to ignore it and hope it goes away

Has he literally done anything else, ever?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Has he literally done anything else, ever?

Mal knows how to back himself into a corner

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-14/george-brandis-grilled-at-senate-committee/7932954

Watch the train as it wrecks.

Favorite moment so far? Ian McDonald telling Sam Dastyari to go back to China.

Brandis appears to be attempting to rely on a very odd legal interpretation of what consult means in practice in this particular case. More blow torch for his feet your honour! His piggies are looking a bit chilly for my mind!

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
From the Guardian live blog

quote:

The consultation that occurred on November 30 was about “substance not form”, says Brandis.

For example, what processes should be in place, rather than the form (of the direction).

The person doing the consulting seeks the views of people and then decides on the course of action.

"When one consults someone, one asks their advice...that is what I mean when I use the word consult."

Brandis uses the Oxford Dictionary and gives a copy of the definition to all the committee members.

Because if you have to rely on a dictionary definition you must be right.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
It's what the best youtube misogynists use :confused:.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/PaulineHansonOz/status/786745607444652036

Bloody Muslims stealing our frags.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
It's true, Those bloody Muslims have it so good they can use their upload speeds to disassemble the models of a game and see through walls in CS:GO.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SHPsON0gTg

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Ixnay on the Omelet posted:

and yet it's overwhelmingly not the Christians who are stoning women for being raped and killing gay people.

In fact, the only Christian church in australia that is non-imported is in general consensus that a) the church is not involved with government and b) sexual orientation is not a barrier to activity in the church. Bloody sjw's in this thread who can't wait to poo poo on mummy and daddy for sending them to a lovely Catholic school, using the same argument one nation supporters use for anti-islam rants.

Tl;dr there is no war but class war

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

asio posted:

You seem p confident that we can wipe a religion out of our society. Can I introduce you to someone who might be able to help, pauline hanson lol

It'll take more decades of course. Gotta wait for natural causes and all that.

What a shameless loving piece of garbage poo poo Brandis is.
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...l-politics-live

MacDonald is an interrupting fat slug too.

Let's use the oxford dictionary definition of consult instead of the legal definition while conducting official legal business regarding legal advice. Yeah I'm sure everyone bought that one Brandis :thumbsup:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 14, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If politicians are going to behave like private school children in the playground at recess they should be forced to wear equivalent uniforms while conducting official duties in Canberra.

I'm talking grey shorts, knee high white socks, silly hats, all that stuff.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Ferremit posted:

Spewing I didnt catch the scum who dumped this in my letterbox to give it back to them with an absolute mouthful of abuse to help it down their throat.

Cos the Plebicite was never going to incite hatred against the gay community, was it. We've already had our town plastered with stickers saying "Its Adam and Eve, Not Adam and Steve"

someone needs to invent halal glitter for sending to people like that

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Halal glitter would be a pretty good euphemism for white powder but I don't want asio rocking up on my doorstep for incitement either.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

Halal glitter would be a pretty good euphemism for white powder but I don't want asio rocking up on my doorstep for incitement either.

ordinary glitter would probably work fine but just include a label saying it's halal and the person who opened it, their desk and the carpet are all property of allah/mohammed (may peace be upon him)

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment/ct-editorial/its-time-to-decide-tram-or-no-tram-20161013-gs1vhh.html
Saturday's ACT election is effectively a referendum on light rail, as it's seemed it would be for at least the past two years.

Elect Labor, or a Labor/Greens coalition, and construction of the $939-million, 12-kilometre tram line between Gungahlin and the city will proceed.

A decisive vote for the Canberra Liberals would bring the project to a grinding halt, the tearing up of contracts estimated to cost at least $220 million.

This huge project has split Canberrans into the camps of those who view it as visionary and transformative and those who think it an expensive folly.

But decisions on election of a government should be about more than just one policy or project.

This has not been an Assembly without achievement for Labor. It approved historic marriage equality laws in 2013. It acted, albeit belatedly, on the Mr Fluffy asbestos crisis.

It also leads the nation in its response to climate change, with its target of 100 per cent renewables by 2020 and zero net emissions by 2050. It has bravely continued to reduce its reliance on punitive stamp duty charges, sticking with its 20-year tax reform plan that will see household rates increase significantly to take up the shortfall.

But on the other side of the ledger, this has also been a government bedevilled by errors of judgment, competency and arrogance.

The poor performance of one of the government's key ministers, Joy Burch, across a range of portfolios, including education, policing and gaming, reflected poorly on the leadership of the Chief Minister.

And Chief Minister Andrew Barr will be judged by some voters on his leadership more broadly, and on Labor's approach to planning, development and transparency.

Under his watch Labor has shown a willingness to entertain major development proposals without engaging the community in any meaningful way, or measuring such proposals against its own long-term objectives. This alone has left many Canberrans feeling their government couldn't care less about their views.

The pre-election political manoeuvre of hiring opposition Treasury spokesman Brendan Smyth to a plum new role, without even advertising the position, was nothing more than a cynical play to damage an opponent's electoral chances.

So what of the alternative, the Canberra Liberals? Like oppositions before them, they have been guilty of carping and populism and while they have been remarkably unified this term, the conservatism of some members will worry progressive Canberrans.

But under Mr Hanson the Liberals have put forward a very solid alternative to light rail, an enhanced bus system that could be used by far more Canberrans in the short to medium term.

They have landed policy blows on health and hospitals. In the main they have presented a more credible alternative to Labor than has been seen for some time.

Saturday's election is arguably the most significant since Canberrans elected their first government in 1989.

Whatever the Assembly's make-up, and whoever takes government, it clearly needs to perform better than the administration of the past four years.

After 15 years, Labor looks too long in government – complacent, at times lost and increasingly hard of hearing. There is an alternative that seems more willing to listen to Canberrans.

The Canberra Times, therefore, supports the election of a Canberra Liberals-led government in Saturday's historic poll.

Shameful stuff.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Hahaha vote for the Liberals because the ALP have been in power for too long and we don't like the ALP politicians personally despite them having better policies.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Wait, that Hanson tweet was for reals?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

Members of Victoria's Chinese community have been circulating thousands of flyers accusing the Safe Schools program of stealing their children's culture, in a Liberal-aligned campaign aimed at curtailing the anti-bullying program.

The incendiary flyer urges the Chinese community to "Stop UnSafe Schools", and accuses the program of promoting "homosexual ideas and practice" and "stealing our children from our own culture".

Chinese Liberal Party member, Dan Xie, said he was behind the 15,000 flyers, which have been handed out on streets, in public libraries and railway stations over the past two months.

The pillar of traditional Chinese values, the Christian religion

Also lol the flyer still uses a picture of a white kid.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Zenithe posted:

Wait, that Hanson tweet was for reals?

yeah

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

quote:

The government's top legal adviser says he will ignore a "radical" directive from Attorney-General George Brandis that prevents him giving advice directly to ministers and government departments, in the latest front in an escalating war between the country's two most senior lawyers.

At a fiery Senate inquiry on Friday, Solicitor-General Justin Gleeson, SC, said a direction issued by Senator Brandis requiring ministers to obtain his written permission before seeking advice from Mr Gleeson was "unlawful".

These are four of the major points of conflict between the nation's first and second law officers.
He said if the Governor-General or Prime Minister came to him directly for advice he would consider it his legal duty to make a "conscientious decision" to flout the direction and provide them with advice.

"It is a radical change," Mr Gleeson said of the direction issued by Senator Brandis in May.

"Do I lie awake at night worrying about it? I have every night since 5 May, trying to determine how this could have come about and what is the correct way to try and respond to and remedy this situation."

Legal experts have expressed concern the direction could see Mr Gleeson, who holds a statutory office and gives independent advice, "frozen out" from advising the government.

Mr Gleeson revealed on Friday that Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull had sought his advice in confidence in January "on a matter which I won't mention". Senator Brandis was not privy to the request.

He said that, "read literally", the new direction would prevent him providing that advice "and yet I consider it's my duty to do that under the Law Officers Act".

The Senate's legal and constitutional affairs references committee is examining allegations Senator Brandis misled Parliament by claiming Mr Gleeson was consulted about the legally-binding direction.

Appearing after Mr Gleeson, Senator Brandis said the direction was nothing more than "administrative housekeeping" and was consistent with the law and historical practice. He stood by "every word of every statement" he had made.

He said it was an "insult" to suggest, as former Commonwealth solicitor-general Gavan Griffith, QC, has claimed, that the direction was akin to keeping "a dog on a lead" because all barristers had an obligation to give frank and fearless advice.

He said the dispute with Mr Gleeson boiled down to a difference of opinion about the meaning of the word "consultation". His understanding of the word was consistent with the Oxford English Dictionary definition but Mr Gleeson took a "narrower" view.

Senator Brandis conceded he did not raise the prospect of a binding legal direction with Mr Gleeson at a meeting on November 30 last year, saying he had not yet decided on that course of action.

However, he said his legal obligation to consult did not require it to be done "in some specific fashion" and there was consultation on the general "subject matter".

Senator Brandis took aim at Mr Gleeson for having a conversation with shadow attorney-general Mark Dreyfus in June in which he denied he was consulted about the direction and said he did not agree with it.

He said Mr Gleeson "ought to have" told him about the conversation with one of the government's "principal political enemies" during the election campaign and he was "shocked" he did not.

But Mr Gleeson said he considered it his duty to answer Mr Dreyfus' questions and he was "also the shadow attorney-general, with responsibilities for these matters in the caretaker period".

Mr Dreyfus said on Friday Senator Brandis had not put forward "the slightest justification" for the new direction.

"He was putting himself between the Governor-General and the Solicitor-General, he was putting himself between the Prime Minister and the Solicitor-General, he was putting himself between every secretary of a Commonwealth Department, every head of a Commonwealth agency," he said.

Mr Dreyfus repeated his call for Senator Brandis to resign over the affair.
holy lol what a shitstorm
Brandis sounds like a loving buffoon

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

The pillar of traditional Chinese values, the Christian religion

Also lol the flyer still uses a picture of a white kid.

I don't understand this connection. Many, many cultures found homosexuality problematic until recently. Unless your statement is that Pax Americana has led to global homophobia, as America was a Christian state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The head of the ACCC said we don't have a banking system, we have an oligarchy. If only someone was in a position to do something about that.

• Locked thread