Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

emminou posted:

I thought all the new posts in the thread might have been about Helen Kelly's death, but no.

Can she still win NZer of the year? God knows she deserves so much more recognition and respect than she got in life. I'm so so sad about this, even tough I knew it was coming

e: it made me extra sad to see, two headlines down from this one in stuff, a story flinging poo poo at the junior doctors strike. gently caress everything :smith:

double edit: and a friend of mine in Labour just told me that they were lining her up to replace Trevor Mallard in Hutt South, but then she got sick. So she would've been in Parliament next year, but instead Labour are probably going to go to lost the seat to Chris Bishop. What a lovely start to the day

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

It seems like its been a while since *anything* published on Cameron Slaters blog has made the news or he has been of any significance. Which is pretty great.

If someone could give me an update on the basic assets (lack of) and legal cases regarding him that might be interesting.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
In New Zealand's foremost case of "wasp landing on a nettle", Colin Craig is currently seeking $15,000 in damages from Slater over the publication of his creepy love poetry. That's the only ongoing legal stuff I know of, though Slater has been in financial trouble for a long time - WhaleOil isn't bringing in clicks any more and it was his primary income stream.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I haven't clicked a whale in years, almost a decade. I am starving the beast, the bastion of investigative journalism and I didn't even know it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I clicked a whale by accident last week.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I'd never heard of it before I started reading this thread.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I heard of it when my mum complained about how rude he was to her once.

emminou
May 25, 2006

I thought Kim Dotcom had showed that the vast majority of clicks on Whale Oil were bots that Slater was using to drive himself up in search rankings or something.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kim Dotcom did something worthwhile? Holy poo poo

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I'm in Dorkland (Auckland), you guys should sort out that traffic eh

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
just *pfft* take the *eheheh* BUS!!! ahahahahahahahahahahhahahaah

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

bobbilljim posted:

just *pfft* take the *eheheh* BUS!!! ahahahahahahahahahahhahahaah

Love how this isn't a joke in Wellington :smuggo:

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The trains are now remarkably good, as long as you want to travel to and from one of the six places they stop.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The first stop on the Ellerslie line between my house and Ellerslie is Ellerslie. Yay public transport

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Do you live

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
In

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Ellerslie?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
My Te Reo is terrible, someone explain the thread title because Google isn't

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A totara has fallen in the great forest of Tane.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Flag over the Beehive flying at half mast today. I assume it's for Kelly.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Kelly

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Comma Helen, yes.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Somfin posted:

Love how this isn't a joke in Wellington :smuggo:

We're clearly not living in the same Wellington, you and I.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

The Sin of Onan posted:

We're clearly not living in the same Wellington, you and I.

I've lived in places with worse public transport than Wellington and places with better. It's not amazing but it certainly does the job imo

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
In today's Herald, we reach new heights of integrity and self awareness as a man who threw his partner down the stairs and broke her back is paid to opine on whether a sports man who had consensual sex should be allowed to sports.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Helen Kelly died a year to the day after she stepped down as CTU pres

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

In today's Herald, we reach new heights of integrity and self awareness as a man who threw his partner down the stairs and broke her back is paid to opine on whether a sports man who had consensual sex should be allowed to sports.

Has he apologised for doing it or is he still just sorry that people know about it?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Has he apologised for doing it or is he still just sorry that people know about it?

He's "apologised" numerous times but always uses it as an opportunity to make excuses for himself, talk about how their relationship was terrible, talk about how hard the whole thing has been on him and how it disrupted his life etc etc, and just generally try and make it out like he's the real victims at this point.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

A mini trump

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Doesn't he pretty much say he is sorry she made him do it. You know the usual line from abusers about how it is the victim's fault and not theirs etc.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

He's going to gently caress the Greens is what he's going to do.

https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/786448005222150144

I got blocked by him because of my response to this tweet.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 15, 2016

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Varkk posted:

Doesn't he pretty much say he is sorry she made him do it. You know the usual line from abusers about how it is the victim's fault and not theirs etc.

Not an empty quote

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
http://www.newshub.co.nz/politics/greens-govt-immigration-curbs-not-enough-2016101512

This is really bad

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Not really at all? Less immigration equals racism is a childish as heck viewpoint.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Less immigration is bad, as is buying into the idea it's the cause of all of society's ills

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The speed of population increase in New Zealand is demonstrably the cause of some current pretty loving serious issues. There isn't enough accommodation, which is directly causing extreme child poverty AND loving the economy.
Immigration is good and immigration is bad are equally retarded viewpoints.
The context of it's net effect is what actually matters, and at this particular point in time it's a net negative. This is absolutely solvable in a relatively short period. Winston style dog whistling and the desperate fear of being called an -ist make this pretty impossible to discuss genuinely.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

We don't build houses and infrastructure quickly enough.

Market forces in action.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

The speed of population increase in New Zealand is demonstrably the cause of some current pretty loving serious issues. There isn't enough accommodation, which is directly causing extreme child poverty AND loving the economy.
Immigration is good and immigration is bad are equally retarded viewpoints.
The context of it's net effect is what actually matters, and at this particular point in time it's a net negative. This is absolutely solvable in a relatively short period. Winston style dog whistling and the desperate fear of being called an -ist make this pretty impossible to discuss genuinely.

Immigration is Good, though.

Lack of housing and poor wages would still be problems without any immigration, because we've got a government that doesn't want to build houses or have any employment protections.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WE B Boo-ourgeois posted:

Immigration is Good, though.

Lack of housing and poor wages would still be problems without any immigration, because we've got a government that doesn't want to build houses or have any employment protections.

Nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

On average an immigrant or refugee makes us far, far more money than it costs for us to bring them in

But please tell us why it's bad

• Locked thread