Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

sweeperbravo posted:

Is it one dick, sucking on apples, or is it apples which suck dick? The ambiguity adds to the value

It's dick van dyke eating his lunch, actually. You people are gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
You'd think you wouldn't want to pick a NSFW URL for your entirely SFW products.

http://www.fagasstraps.com/

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Their company is named Evans Co :psyduck:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Why would you name your website after just one of the products you sell?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Phanatic posted:

Ruth's Chris in Ann Arbor ran a promotion for the Michigan game: For every point by which Michigan beat Rutgers, you get a 1% discount.

Michigan wound up beating Rutgers by a score of 78-0.

Still might not be a disaster, buried in the "some conditions apply" fine print it turns out that the discount is capped at 50% and only applies to food, not alcohol. But a 50% food discount still has to put some hurting on a steakhouse.

http://i.imgur.com/sRHCKLZ.gifv

My dad took advantage of this deal this past week. Apparently it was still an expensive steak at half off. Also apparently the U of M coach was eating there that night too.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

My dad took advantage of this deal this past week. Apparently it was still an expensive steak at half off. Also apparently the U of M coach was eating there that night too.

https://twitter.com/CoachJim4UM/status/786010335677263872

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Don't go to http://www.fag.com

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I think this is the thread this fits in. My peanut butter doesn't have an expiration date but it does say "PARTIALLY PRODUCED WITH GENETIC ENGINEERING"

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

That man is really overdressed for a steak joint.

Tofu Terry posted:

I think this is the thread this fits in. My peanut butter doesn't have an expiration date but it does say "PARTIALLY PRODUCED WITH GENETIC ENGINEERING"

What country is this? Unless they're required by law to label GMOs, I can't see why they'd think saying that would be a good marketing move.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Non Serviam posted:

What country is this? Unless they're required by law to label GMOs, I can't see why they'd think saying that would be a good marketing move.

I don't know where he lives, but here in Vermont they passed a law a few months back requiring GMO products to be labeled, which has just resulted in 90% of food products having the "Partially Produced with Genetic Engineering" label on them somewhere now.

It's pretty pointless and was just a massive headache for supermarkets and caused big companies like Coke to threaten to pull their products entirely from the state, though none of them followed through afaik.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I'm in the US, in Georgia specifically. I've never seen this sort of label before but also I got it at one of those "overstock or about to expire" grocery stores.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

Tofu Terry posted:

I'm in the US, in Georgia specifically. I've never seen this sort of label before but also I got it at one of those "overstock or about to expire" grocery stores.

That makes sense, I've never seen that brand but those units were probably meant for sale in Vermont and they printed it on too many or something. No other states have implemented a law like that yet that I'm aware of.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

salty fries make me cry posted:

That makes sense, I've never seen that brand but those units were probably meant for sale in Vermont and they printed it on too many or something. No other states have implemented a law like that yet that I'm aware of.

The Vermont law got co-opted by a last minute watered down federal law. So who knows what that label is about. Maybe the product is also sold in Europe.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

The Vermont law got co-opted by a last minute watered down federal law. So who knows what that label is about. Maybe the product is also sold in Europe.

That's true, but there's still a ton of stuff in stores here with those labels on them from before that happened, and we still get stuff in our shipments at work with the original "may be genetically modified" labels on them.

Most are just stickers but a lot are printed like the jar posted earlier, and some products actually incorporated it with the allergy information right on the label. It'll probably be a few years before they're out of circulation since so many got made when the law first got passed.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Why do people loving care about gmo's so much? Is there any case ever where gmos ave even does something bad or are people afraid of "playing god with my food and injecting chemicals into it"?

I love this picture though

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

stringball posted:

Why do people loving care about gmo's so much? Is there any case ever where gmos ave even does something bad or are people afraid of "playing god with my food and injecting chemicals into it"?

Pretty much the exact same reasons people are afraid of vaccines, with as much justification.

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...and_errors.html

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 05:15 on Oct 14, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

People see the word "genetic" and think scientists are shooting apples with mutation rays when we've been genetically engineering food for centuries with selective breeding of produce.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

People see the word "genetic" and think scientists are shooting apples with mutation rays when we've been genetically engineering food for centuries with selective breeding of produce.

We've also done it by shooting apples with mutation rays. Literally: exposing a bunch of seeds to gamma radiation sources to induce mutations and keeping and breeding the ones that germinated with useful traits. There's stuff on supermarket shelves that was created in exactly that way.

Which is funny because GMO opponents claim genetic modification is more unpredictable unlike the older tools of selection and breeding, when in fact it's far more precise and controllable then stuff like atomic gardens that they have no problem with.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Phanatic posted:

We've also done it by shooting apples with mutation rays. Literally: exposing a bunch of seeds to gamma radiation sources to induce mutations and keeping and breeding the ones that germinated with useful traits. There's stuff on supermarket shelves that was created in exactly that way.

Ha ha nice.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Why would you name your website after just one of the products you sell?
Everything they sell that isn't a Fagas strap is meant to be a replacement for Fagas straps. Fagas straps are the webbing supports that hold up the cushions on Danish Modern chairs:

Since everything they sell is Fagas strap related, they thought they'd be clever to register the name of the item they specialize in as their url rather than the name of their company, so when Grandpa goes on the internet and just types a noun and then a dot com he will find them.

I don't know why Fagas straps are called Fagas straps, though

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think I've seen two somewhat legitimate arguments against genetic engineering. The first is that the companies involved are unscrupulous, which is true but doesn't really relate to the process or the concept of GMOs as such. The second is that it's leading to increased frailty and unsustainability of the plant species involved, beyond the scale of the gradual genetic engineering of the past centuries and millennia, because they are only selecting for things like size and taste without regards to anything else. This actually strikes me as a legitimate concern.

But yes, 90% of the opposition comes from a poor understanding of genetics.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

stringball posted:

I used to be in favor of GMO labeling, since I thought that having that information wouldn't hurt. Then I looked into the science of GMO food and saw that a. Everything we eat is the product of some sort of genetic modification, b. It creates the impression in the consumer that there's something to be afraid of.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

I wonder if the FDA can/will do something like making the non-gmo labels also include a disclaimer that non-gmo foods aren't proven to be any healthier for or safer for you

Considering they make people put disclaimers on medication and such and aren't afraid to put labels like that on snake oils and other bogus supplements

The outcry would be hilarious but I don't know if they care about the massive shitstorm that would follow

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stringball posted:

I wonder if the FDA can/will do something like making the non-gmo labels also include a disclaimer that non-gmo foods aren't proven to be any healthier for or safer for you

Considering they make people put disclaimers on medication and such and aren't afraid to put labels like that on snake oils and other bogus supplements

The outcry would be hilarious but I don't know if they care about the massive shitstorm that would follow

USDA is in the pocket of BIG ORGANIC.

You can’t irradiate food (you know, to kill e. coli and co.) and label it organic.

Heating it up so it loses all the flavour: that’s perfectly alright.

Remember, kids: industrial pressure cookers are natural. Ionising radiation is not.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Phlegmish posted:

I think I've seen two somewhat legitimate arguments against genetic engineering. The first is that the companies involved are unscrupulous, which is true but doesn't really relate to the process or the concept of GMOs as such. The second is that it's leading to increased frailty and unsustainability of the plant species involved, beyond the scale of the gradual genetic engineering of the past centuries and millennia, because they are only selecting for things like size and taste without regards to anything else. This actually strikes me as a legitimate concern.

But yes, 90% of the opposition comes from a poor understanding of genetics.

They're also selecting for things like herbicide resistance and natural pesticide production, which often involves inserting genes from totally different plant species, and I was under the impression that that was the major pushback.

Then, they're also selecting for hardiness and soil tolerance, too.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Which is funny because GMO opponents claim genetic modification is more unpredictable unlike the older tools of selection and breeding, when in fact it's far more precise and controllable then stuff like atomic gardens that they have no problem with.

This is how we made ruby red grapefruit, by the way ☢️🌝☢️

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Ralph Crammed In posted:

It was censored, but still. Aside from the problematic nature of having cultivators of apples advertise, as a woman I now associate that brand of apple with the selfish eagerness of chucklefucks trying to get their dicks sucked. I hope there's a alternate ad were some chicklefuck comes out and goes "I like three things - (apple brand), caramel, and getting my box eaten out!"
The getting my box eaten out would work better for some of the fast food fried chicken places.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Phanatic posted:

We've also done it by shooting apples with mutation rays. Literally: exposing a bunch of seeds to gamma radiation sources to induce mutations and keeping and breeding the ones that germinated with useful traits.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Apples with teeth would be able to protect themselves from vermin :colbert:

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Helps with getting your dick sucked?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

stringball posted:

He's good, but he's no Cyber Corn.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AgentF posted:

Helps with getting your dick sucked?

I prefer the toothless dick sucking apples personally

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Phlegmish posted:

because they are only selecting for things like size and taste without regards to anything else. This actually strikes me as a legitimate concern.

This would be a legitimate concern if it had any basis in reality. If.

ArcMage posted:

They're also selecting for things like herbicide resistance and natural pesticide production, which often involves inserting genes from totally different plant species, and I was under the impression that that was the major pushback.

That would be the "poor understanding of genetics" part, yes.

Edit: Just for the sake of it, the most common actually-based-on-reason argument against large-scale GMO farming is that plants engineered for drought resistance, natural pesticides, et cetera would have a competitive advantage against wild plants and become a highly aggressive invasive species if they spread into the wild. There are some ideas on how to compensate for that outside of the usual measures for dealing with invasive species (like a modification that would make pollination dependent on human activity or something else found on farms but not outside them), but those solutions of course have their own varied drawbacks (eg. depending on artificial pollination is unfeasibly labour intensive for grasses, but may work fine for something with a smaller number of individual plants).

Waci has a new favorite as of 13:46 on Oct 14, 2016

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Waci posted:

This would be a legitimate concern if it had any basis in reality. If.

That would be the "poor understanding of genetics" part, yes.

Edit: Just for the sake of it, the most common actually-based-on-reason argument against large-scale GMO farming is that plants engineered for drought resistance, natural pesticides, et cetera would have a competitive advantage against wild plants and become a highly aggressive invasive species if they spread into the wild. There are some ideas on how to compensate for that outside of the usual measures for dealing with invasive species (like a modification that would make pollination dependent on human activity or something else found on farms but not outside them), but those solutions of course have their own varied drawbacks (eg. depending on artificial pollination is unfeasibly labour intensive for grasses, but may work fine for something with a smaller number of individual plants).

Ever wonder why you don't really see many farmed plants in the wild? That's because plants that we farm can't actually compete with wild plants and already rely on humans to provide the proper conditions for them. Traits like herbicide resistance are a disadvantage in the wild if nobody's spraying herbicide everywhere. GMOs will be basically the same way.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

They throw a fit about "frankenfoods" but the real horrors are "natural" like how broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and cauliflower are all the same species and how bananas can no longer breed without human assistance.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

They throw a fit about "frankenfoods" but the real horrors are "natural" like how broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and cauliflower are all the same species and how bananas can no longer breed without human assistance.

I really want those people to try eating natural wild bananas

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Phimosissy posted:

I prefer the toothless dick sucking apples personally

Come on! Live a little! Don't kink shame!

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Slime posted:

Ever wonder why you don't really see many farmed plants in the wild? That's because plants that we farm can't actually compete with wild plants and already rely on humans to provide the proper conditions for them. Traits like herbicide resistance are a disadvantage in the wild if nobody's spraying herbicide everywhere. GMOs will be basically the same way.

Oh, I agree the risk is often exaggerated, and like you said the same methods are already used for controlling crop lines created through slower means. Still, it is a more relevant concern for some traits than others. Herbicides might not happen in the wild, but droughts do.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

While on the subject of GMO horrorfruits, a few results for "natural watermelon" (basically the only ones that weren't about how it gets your dick hard)

Bonus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
There's also the example of the papaya. GMO papayas saved the papaya industry in Hawaii. Without them, the plants would have been wiped out by ringspot disease.