Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

coming from sixth edition 40k, how 'good' are the rules for dropfleet? if I thought that garbage fire was playable, will I be satisfied with dropfleet?

Put some rubber padding under your jaw, because it's gonna drop hard!

I haven't had chance to play it yet but I'm confident that it is good. Some rough edges probably will emerge as it is a first edition but it should be bloat free. Unlike 40k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, dropzone is an amazing fluid game, so Dropfleet should be space based goodness.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Dropfleet is like Dropzone in that it's a fairly simple system and flows well. Easy to pick up and the ground combat side of the rules are a lot larger than I thought they would originally be, which I think is cool.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

From my initial impression, the game is designed to be objective based, like Dropzone. You're essentially trying to take and hold various stations or sectors made up of smaller objectives. You land ground units in small numbers on the sub-objectives which then engage enemy units and try to seize ground. Like Dropzone, the fancy combat occurring around it exists to facilitate or impede the goal of seizing objectives.

The ship vs. ship combat plays fun and fast. The game I played lasted for six rounds (each player's group of ships activating six times) meaning that the combat is frenetic, full of least-bad choices, and often explosive. Pre-measuring and simple rules keep everything on the level.

My only complaint is the fiddly nature of the rotating bases and damage-knob-trackers. I had trouble keeping my models in their spot with all the manhandling. I think I might whip up a Warmachine style-card or use magnets or something to track damage.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Use tokens and D20s to mark damage, bugger the flight stands they are the least impressive part of the game unfortunately.

Also the Tokyo-Class Battleship looks evil and will gently caress up planets. Those gun batteries are 2x Sets of 5 Attacks at 2+ Lock.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
How about those shaltari ships with the blue orbs those are the orbital bombardment option right? Do they look much use?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Anyone with more experience have advice on how to build up my PHR fleet?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

ijyt posted:

Anyone with more experience have advice on how to build up my PHR fleet?
2-3 Strike Carriers to start, up to 4 at some point, and consider a troopship/assault ship? I've forgotten the PHR names, the ones with the Bulk Landers, you really want one of those at 1k>. After that I'd sort of just go with what you fancy really. How many ships do you have right now? sprues or otherwise.

Ugleb posted:

How about those shaltari ships with the blue orbs those are the orbital bombardment option right? Do they look much use?
Will post rules when I get back into my office mate, will edit this post.

E: That's the Turquoise-Class;

Ion Aura - Lock 3+, D6+3 Shots, Close Action (Beam), ALT-1
Ion Storm - Lock 2+, 4 Shots, Bombardment, ALT-1
Harpoon Cascade - Lock 4+, 3 Attacks, Close Action

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 14, 2016

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

2-3 Strike Carriers to start, up to 4 at some point, and consider a troopship/assault ship? I've forgotten the PHR names, the ones with the Bulk Landers, you really want one of those at 1k>. After that I'd sort of just go with what you fancy really. How many ships do you have right now? sprues or otherwise.

Will post rules when I get back into my office mate, will edit this post.

I've got the starter set, plus the extra frigate and cruiser sprue, as well as the Kickstarter exclusive battle cruiser.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Might be worth flicking through the rules and picking out the ships you like the look of and build around them. That's what i've done for my past few games and the list previously. :) PHR and Shaltari are the ships I've looked at the least, but some stuff looks vicious.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

E: That's the Turquoise-Class;

Ion Aura - Lock 3+, D6+3 Shots, Close Action (Beam), ALT-1
Ion Storm - Lock 2+, 4 Shots, Bombardment, ALT-1
Harpoon Cascade - Lock 4+, 3 Attacks, Close Action

I'm guessing Bombardment is something like doubles damage against ground targets? Seems like reliable damage output if so. Alternatively, it looks like a close action beast!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Bombardment is straight up just shoot ground targets I think. Hits on 2+, damages armour on a 3+ and infantry on a 5+. I haven't read that rule in this book yet so I'm unsure how/if it has changed. Bombardment does seem like a bit of an afterthought for the hedgehogs though.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The advantage of bombardment, I think,is just that using normal guns against ground targets only hits on a 5+ or something like that.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Arcturas posted:

The advantage of bombardment, I think,is just that using normal guns against ground targets only hits on a 5+ or something like that.

If beasts of war is anything to go by it sounds like non-bombardment weapons hit on a 6+.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Pash posted:

If beasts of war is anything to go by it sounds like non-bombardment weapons hit on a 6+.

Yeah its a 6+ for normal weapons targetting ground sectors. Bombardment over comes that penalty. Its good.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

There's a mission where you fight over a moon. It is awesome.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I ordered a PHR starter from my local store, since it was the only one I didn't order in the kickstarter. We'll see if it gets here before my package does or not.

Also the starter was $60, which is a little higher than I was expecting. I guess the post-brexit fall of the pound isn't priced in, or the distributor is taking a nice chunk.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

wdarkk posted:

So I ordered a PHR starter from my local store, since it was the only one I didn't order in the kickstarter. We'll see if it gets here before my package does or not.

Also the starter was $60, which is a little higher than I was expecting. I guess the post-brexit fall of the pound isn't priced in, or the distributor is taking a nice chunk.

Or they paid for the shipment awhile back before the pound dropped so far maybe? I wouldn't be surprised if distributors are taking advantage though and pricing it compared to similar products regardless of what it actually cost them.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Going by the facebook group(s) it looks like people are starting to receive / get tracking emails for Admiral level pledges... hopefully my Commodore+stuff won't be too far behind.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i got a tracking number from my retail order. i figured kickstarters would get theirs before retail shops, but i guess not

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i got a tracking number from my retail order. i figured kickstarters would get theirs before retail shops, but i guess not

Well that was the plan, but kickstarters rarely go to plan.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Hawk gave themselves about 3 months leeway to deliver the kickstarter before hitting retail. Between their printing issues, slower than expected packing rate and general things that happen they are out of time and now need to honour their retail commitments.

It is disappointing but Dave is clearly unhappy about it too and they are only shipping wave 1 which does not affect kickstarter delivery while pulling everyone they can off doing stuff like casting battleships for wave 2 to pack boxes instead. It is a reasonable compromise, I tell myself while I sit by my front window twitching every time I see a couriers van.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Yay Retail !

The rest of my pre-order - battleships etc is gonna have to wait until all the KS has been filled, I guess- but at least I can get started for the escalation league that we're got planned !

(I'd also not bother with the Activation Cards - there just blank team-rosters that you could make up and print out yourself pretty easy, leaving more cash to spend on ships)

(edit)

Damnit Custard, get off my new stuff !

Renfield fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 15, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
those boxes really remind me of old epic design

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've started making my own token designs for the game. Love the fact there are rules for fighting around Moons.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Renfield posted:

Damnit Custard, get off my new stuff !

My wife wants to know if you have another cat called Rhubarb.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Ugleb posted:

My wife wants to know if you have another cat called Rhubarb.

Sadly not - he's a rescue and it's just me and him at the moment - but that is where I got it from :p
(Shouldn't Rhubarb be a dog, anyway....)

Flipswitch posted:

I've started making my own token designs for the game. Love the fact there are rules for fighting around Moons.

I'm a little disappointed that that Token sheets in the back of the book all have a black background- that means I'll have to scan then, and cut out each one in an editing program before printing them out, if I don't want to waste half a black print cart

Renfield fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 15, 2016

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

So having never played a single table top game or assembled a model in my life I decided to get the two player starter and the PHR set. I have no interest in the Scourge models though, so is there a good place in particular other than ebay to sell them?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Sojenus posted:

So having never played a single table top game or assembled a model in my life I decided to get the two player starter and the PHR set. I have no interest in the Scourge models though, so is there a good place in particular other than ebay to sell them?

Where are you located? I've got a friend in NZ who is interested in picking up people's unwanted Scourge.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Loxbourne posted:

Where are you located? I've got a friend in NZ who is interested in picking up people's unwanted Scourge.

GA. I'd be willing to mail them out when the stuff gets here.

edit: oh man I misread that as "AZ", I'd still ship them but I have no idea what the shipping costs to NZ are.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Sojenus posted:

Try selling / trading them at your local store or club ?
(Assuming you're talking Drop Zone - the errata for the 1.0 rule book is on the web site - not much more than points adjustments, which are baked into the army builder - but it's still worth looking at)

Depends on where you are, of course - I sold the scourge half of my DZC starter for a little under the cost of the faction starter box at my FLGS

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Also I probably should have clarified I meant Dropfleet, oops.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sojenus posted:

GA. I'd be willing to mail them out when the stuff gets here.

edit: oh man I misread that as "AZ", I'd still ship them but I have no idea what the shipping costs to NZ are.

I would be interested in Scourge and I live US. Either trade for Shaltari starter or cashmoney. Send PM when you get them in.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I'm leaving this here without comment:

The disease is inside of us!

tl;dr: someone wants to power game DFC, but is too much of a scrub to want to actually buy the correct models, and calls the game "pay-to-win" when multiple TOs call him out on it.

e: Holland Oats and Barry Dalive are the same person. This is my first time using anonymizer, so I don't know what gives.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 16, 2016

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

LordAba posted:

I would be interested in Scourge and I live US. Either trade for Shaltari starter or cashmoney. Send PM when you get them in.

If he doesn't take you up, i might. I'm in Washington and got a starter set coming plus shaltari starter coming my way
Not 100% on keeping the scourge

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Buying the correct models for your army is "pay to win".

Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnng.

loving people.

[Edit: I mean, I get not wanting to blow more cash than necessary, I'm planning on trying to magnet up ships that can reasonably be quickly swapped on the fly with magnets. That's just using common sense. But if two classes are too different for a magnet part swap to let you convert from one to the other, I wouldn't still plop it on the table and expect my opponent to just deal with it.]

Valatar fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 16, 2016

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Valatar posted:

Buying the correct models for your army is "pay to win".

Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnng.

loving people.

[Edit: I mean, I get not wanting to blow more cash than necessary, I'm planning on trying to magnet up ships that can reasonably be quickly swapped on the fly with magnets. That's just using common sense. But if two classes are too different for a magnet part swap to let you convert from one to the other, I wouldn't still plop it on the table and expect my opponent to just deal with it.]

So this Berlin represents a Bejing, this one a Moscow, this one a.......

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

He actually labelled a miniatures war game as pay to win because he cant be arsed to magnetise and wants to field the optimal configurations without buying enough models.

Then he goes to the length of posting support for himself with a second username. Jesus loving christ this guy belongs in the GW death thread.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Got a 1k list game tonight can't wait!

Also that guy is a bell end lol.

Grey Hunter posted:

So this Berlin represents a Bejing, this one a Moscow, this one a.......
Just buy the bases and write the names on em. It's a game of pegs. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I was thinking about people who play kings of war using card rectangles with the unit name written on and no minis.

Fortunately this guy doesn't appear to have considered fielding a fleet of labelled flight stands because that is clearly the most cost effective way to win games.