Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ice Cream Barbara posted:

Checked the patreon, these guys are getting $170,000 per year now :staredog:

Not each though, right? And I've heard Jack say that he doesn't really get anything from the RLM funds, he has a day job and just hangs out with the guys because they're his friends.

So they're basically getting like, above-average wage each. Enough to live on but they're not rolling in dough. Even if they got $170,000 a year each that wouldn't be much for Milwaukee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Plus their youtube ad pennies.
170k divided by their staff minus their other operating costs isn't exactly filthy money.

It's a livin', Baronjutter. Puts gasoline in the tank and a few bucks left for the titty bar.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
they also have merchandise and DVD sales. And Jack and Rich get their camwhore money.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Watching the Box Office episode... so are Mike and Jay just complete idiots? Don't theaters take half the BO?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wonder if they still do wedding videos

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

Watching the Box Office episode... so are Mike and Jay just complete idiots? Don't theaters take half the BO?

Don't dumbshame.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
on the last pre-rec live-

"Can you squeeze supergirl's boobs or are they like iron?" - Rich Evans

Jack and Karen weigh in.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Thundercracker posted:

Pretty sure theatres only get 20-30% on the big movies on opening weekend.

Josh is good on re:view but bad at being funny

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Je suis fatigue posted:

Pretty sure theatres only get 20-30% on the big movies on opening weekend.

Josh is good on re:view but bad at being funny

I thought it was 20-30% domestic opening weekend (rising as the run keeps going), but that foreign BO is more like 70% for theaters so it averages out to 1/2 total for studios?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I hope they talk about Shin Godzilla, the first autistic movie of 2016.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Baronjutter posted:

170k divided by their staff minus their other operating costs isn't exactly filthy money.

Don't forget their bottle opener revenue which is certainly a billion dollar business.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
But you have to subtract the postage for all the pizza rolls.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Thundercracker posted:

Mike is super dumb.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can enjoy just about any RLM episode but Mike just saying numbers for half an hour was probably the first one I skipped large portions of, specially since the numbers were mostly pulled from his rear end and he forgot half the math anyways.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
the bo "math" review could have been contained in a tweet.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Theater Box Office percentage fluctuates depending on the expected draw of the film. It can go as low as 10-20% to the theater if it is guaranteed money (Transformers film say). This amount can also be renegotiated between the chain and the studio depending on weekend box offices and the theater gets a larger percentage every week after opening generally. These days all the numbers are hosed by the lack of most films second week legs.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Hollywood accounting is fuzzy math black magic anyways. Mike wasnt trying to do a precise accounting just general numbers to correct some misconceptions (perceived flops and whatnot).

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

May and Jike

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Regarding how studios and theaters split grosses: http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/29/hows-all-the-money-from-the-force-awakens-divvied-up.html

quote:

Because "The Force Awakens" was so highly anticipated, Disney had massive leverage when it came to negotiating its deals with the theater chains — which are generally negotiated on a per movie basis.

Studios on average take about 55 cents of every dollar of tickets sold in the U.S. Eric Wold, analyst at B. Riley & Co., said the average has been 53 percent since 2008. But when it came to striking a deal for the new "Star Wars," Disney was able to secure more than 60 percent of ticket sales, sources told CNBC.

The split that theaters and studios negotiate generally slides over a film's lifespan. The studio gets a slightly bigger cut toward the beginning of a film's release, which then generally slides in favor of the theater over time. This is one reason studios are incentivized to spend big on advertising to get a huge opening weekend. For "The Force Awakens," Disney likely holds onto its bigger-than-usual piece of revenue throughout its run.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Baronjutter posted:

Their staff is Rich, Mike and Jay. Josh and Jack don't get any RLM money.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Capntastic posted:

May and Jike

Go on.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jock and Jash.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Jay cut his hair too short and now I'm not gay anymore

Way to go...

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Their staff is Rich, Mike and Jay. Josh and Jack don't get any RLM money.

good

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

King Vidiot posted:

Not each though, right? And I've heard Jack say that he doesn't really get anything from the RLM funds, he has a day job and just hangs out with the guys because they're his friends.

So they're basically getting like, above-average wage each. Enough to live on but they're not rolling in dough. Even if they got $170,000 a year each that wouldn't be much for Milwaukee.

That's still pretty good for getting to do whatever the gently caress they want. Production can't cost that much either.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Ice Cream Barbara posted:

That's still pretty good for getting to do whatever the gently caress they want. Production can't cost that much either.

Don't forget about renting a warehouse in some some Milwaukee slum, that's gotta set them back at least $1500/month.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

FedEx Mercury posted:

Don't forget about renting a warehouse in some some Milwaukee slum, that's gotta set them back at least $1500/month.

Are you telling me Scott Walker is not making Wisconsin business friendly?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Soup du Journey posted:

Jay cut his hair too short and now I'm not gay anymore

Way to go...

Pray4Jay

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

He had pretty good hipster nerd hair going on, now he's just back to a regular nerd with a funny tooth.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
*complains that Mike spent the whole episode pulling numbers out of his rear end*

*Pulls numbers out of rear end and posts them in dead gay forums*

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

He had pretty good hipster nerd hair going on, now he's just back to a regular nerd with a funny tooth.

Let's hope the gays will leave us alone now and retreat to E/N.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

FedEx Mercury posted:

Honey you might want to edit that before A GLISTENING HODOR comes back from work.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Paladinus posted:

Jock and Jash.

Glassic Cilchrest

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Paladinus posted:

Jock and Jash.

Now I want to see a Scottish version of RLM

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-dvAEoyE1w

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"Ey' there ya wee lass susan let's talk about some moovies"

*Fills pint with frothy beer*

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

reignofevil posted:

*Fills pint with frothy beer*

o lord make this happen!

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

FedEx Mercury posted:

Since I'm a lady is it okay if I still talk about Jay and how I want to marry him? Note that I've never talked about his cum.

Also:
I'm assuming most people have annotations off, but on that last HitB it said in the beginning something like "we're hacks! We forgot to account for theaters' take of the box office."

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

reignofevil posted:

*Fills mouth with buckfast*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

powerful sex moves posted:

Since I'm a lady is it okay if I still talk about Jay and how I want to marry him? Note that I've never talked about his cum.

Hopefully one of the RLM scholars will play Cyrano to your Christian so you can woo his Milwaukee heart

• Locked thread