Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

mcvey posted:

and a sword

a looooot of shields and a loooooot of swords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Why does Junkrat--a character on both sides of almost every single low tier match--suddenly become completely useless once players get good? Or is this just a situation where because Junkrat isn't good, a junkrat main pretty much is just a gold or silver player?

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
All they would need to do is make his projectiles travel faster. They travel in slow motion compared to tf2 pipes.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

Why does Junkrat--a character on both sides of almost every single low tier match--suddenly become completely useless once players get good? Or is this just a situation where because Junkrat isn't good, a junkrat main pretty much is just a gold or silver player?

This doesn't answer your question entirely, but I think part of while people use him at low levels is because he's funny/fun. You blow people up, you throw tires around, you say hooley dooley; even if you suck, you're still having a pretty good time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Brannock posted:

What would make Junkrat good?

Up the damage on his Conc mine, give you some indicator (like the button on the detonator starts flashing) when an enemy passes within blast radius of it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Don't make junkrat good

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Rick posted:

he can't consistently win 1 on 1 fights at mid range so every dps destroys him

he feeds zarya energy

if he doesn't kill with his spam it does nothing but feed support ults

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rick posted:

It's not that you can't become a master-rank Junkrat (I don't know of any but if you can do it with loving Symmetra you can do it with anyone), it's that you're going to have to put in a disproportionate amount of effort for smaller returns than if you played a good hero.

Mainly it's this, though: there are certain heroes whose effectiveness scales massively with the ability to aim, or with good knowledge of where to position yourself. As you increase in skill, these characters pull ahead of their alternatives in the same role. At the same time, some characters are incredibly reliant on your opponent loving up; the higher you go, the less people gently caress up.

Junkrat comes out on the worse end of all of these categories. There's not much point in lobbing slow, gravity-bound bombs that interact unpredictably with level geometry when you can just click heads with McCree, and even in the situations where a big explosive projectile that doesn't require you to expose yourself too much would be a good thing... Pharah exists, and does almost everything he does better and more easily.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
What he needs is a claw or spike on his pegleg that enables him to stick to walls

And a one second cooldown reduction on his trap and conc mine

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
People being able to aim and being aware of their surroundings also means that his rip tire is basically useless at higher tiers of play. Getting a single kill with is an accomplishment with its use, so not only is he giving enemy support ults charge by spamming, but his team isn't gaining an actually good ult to use in return for those support ults being fielded.

He's a huge liability to have on your team, because if the enemy team adapts to him being in play he is suddenly completely useless. Low ranked play is pretty well marked by nonadaptive or players that do dumb things when they do try to counter.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's not that you can't become a master-rank Junkrat (I don't know of any but if you can do it with loving Symmetra you can do it with anyone)

Chro (?) has been in the top 500, as has at least one more. AFAIK it's at least partially to be contrary.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Riptire should also leave a trail of burning oil that puts a DoT on people that cross it

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
He's a great newbie friendly character, you don't have to be super accurate to be effective, when he dies (which new players do a lot) he drops a bunch of grenades that can get revenge kills especially if you threw a trap down right before, and even if he dies after activating rip tire you can still use the rip tire to kill guys in spite of being dead.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I know he falls off as you get better but theres no better rear end in a top hat move in the game than throwing your trap on and iced mei's feet and killing her for free. Really every trap interaction is hilarious and its great at owning noobs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rick posted:

he doesn't. he's bad in pro games because pro teams are coordinated and can easily convert all of his spam to ult charge for free (tho you do see some people still pull off junkrat even now, like seagull on nrg). he's also in the same hell as other defense heroes not named mei or hanzo where he's only really viable competitively on first point defense on specific maps, tho in the pharmercy meta you did actually see some of the better teams break out successful junkrat plays on nepal sanctum. in qp or ranked he's perfectly fine tho if you can play him well. junkrats don't suddenly disappear at master, and if dudes at master/grandmaster can get there by playing junkrat then obviously it's possible to play the hero well. the problem is that it's harder to succeed with junkrat at a higher level than it is to do the same thing with someone like mccree or reaper because his damage is more inconsistent, good supports will turn it all into ult, and you're generally at a disadvantage in fights because pipes are the hardest projectile to actually hit anything with in the game

he is better at lower ranks because he can just spam around a corner or w/e and get free damage or kills on people too oblivious to get out of the way. the tire is more of a threat as well since people are less likely to deal with it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

basically junkrat's in the same position a lot of out of meta heroes are in where you need to vastly out perform other heroes to have the same effect. it's like playing pharah against a mccree/zen; you can do it but there has to be a pretty significant skill gap between you and them if you want to succeed. his kit itself isn't necessarily bad but it's actively hurting your team by feeding the ana most of the time

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Give Junkrat a second deployable bear trap and increase the damage on his concussion blast imo. I don't think there is anything Blizzard can do with Junkrat that can make him as playable a character at the pro level as say, Mei, but that doesn't really matter to 99% of the people playing the game.

Junkrat's grenades shouldn't be sped up, they go at a speed that allows attentive people to dodge (good) and still punish inattentive people at the key chokes and areas (good). Also they do enough damage.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Give him more health.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The easiest thing they could do is buff/change his ult. Maybe give it more health so roadhog can't just one shot it with m2.

Or they can try do to things that make it less predictable, a double jump, a way to powerslide sideways, let it cut the engine noise but it only rolls forward straight etc

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Papercut posted:

Don't make junkrat good

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Proposition Joe posted:

Give Junkrat a second deployable bear trap and increase the damage on his concussion blast imo. I don't think there is anything Blizzard can do with Junkrat that can make him as playable a character at the pro level as say, Mei, but that doesn't really matter to 99% of the people playing the game.

Junkrat's grenades shouldn't be sped up, they go at a speed that allows attentive people to dodge (good) and still punish inattentive people at the key chokes and areas (good). Also they do enough damage.

The problem that people are talking about is largely due to the fact that Junkrat's grenades are mainly a "stay the gently caress out of this area" weapon and once you're at a level where the enemy team not only stays out of that area but finds two other ways to bypass it, Junkrat becomes dead weight. The grenades and the conc mine don't do enough damage to make him a reaper-like flanker/assassin in addition to him lacking the mobility to make up for the damage, he's got no mei-style walls, his ult is the most obvious poo poo ever and easy to deal with, he can't throw the bear trap far enough to make it useful, and he's an Australian.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

High DPI / low sensitivity is best, otherwise you risk pixel skipping.

Counter point, you get more jitter on high DPI and it gives the guns a floaty feel, although this isn't an issue in this game like it is in CS.
It's also important to take into account that some mice have acceleration issues when not using their sensors native DPI(this is not necessarily the dpi the mouse is set to out of the box)

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Jesus Christ, why are Overwatch players always so loving horny?

Last night during placement matches, I saw a Mercy spray a wall then sit in front of it until a McCree player "acknowledged" her. At that point she got up and healed only him the entire match. I spent the match with no heals and the suspicion that a couple of the players were whacking off during the game.

Yeah, that's literally what was going on. Found yourself a heal-slut in the wild

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Here's a question regarding "balance", how would you rebalance all the heroes so that they are all equally viable at the highest level of play(assuming the matchmaking restriction of one of each hero per team, and assuming that no more than 2-3 characters of any role are in play as well), while avoiding ruining them for casual quick play usage(including using 6 of the same hero at once), while also keeping their basic mechanics more or less recognizable to their current state(with possible exceptions to Symmetra, Hanzo, and Mei, who all could probably use some redesigning)?

Please avoid any "that's impossible" sort of responses, cause I know that's almost definitely the case, I'm more interested in what ideas you might have to potentially answer my question, even if they end up as flawed

my own thoughts on the idea(although I'm sure there's huge hole in it that I'm not noticing) would be to have it set up so any given hero would be Strong against around a 1/3 of the other heroes, Neutral against 1/3 of them, and Weak against 1/3 of them

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Jesus Christ, why are Overwatch players always so loving horny?

Last night during placement matches, I saw a Mercy spray a wall then sit in front of it until a McCree player "acknowledged" her. At that point she got up and healed only him the entire match. I spent the match with no heals and the suspicion that a couple of the players were whacking off during the game.

Well, that's just great. I usually turn on big head mode with Symmetra by sitting at walls with her cute spray. She clips through the spray, and it looks real dumb. Now I wonder how many heal-slut Johns I've accidentally triggered this way.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

drrockso20 posted:

my own thoughts on the idea(although I'm sure there's huge hole in it that I'm not noticing) would be to have it set up so any given hero would be Strong against around a 1/3 of the other heroes, Neutral against 1/3 of them, and Weak against 1/3 of them
Keeping a ratio like that is going to be extremely complicated because characters have abilities that are hard counters to other abilities/styles, like Zarya is a great counter to Mei due to how her bubble eliminates freeze, but its not really that cut and dried. That same Mei could be a smart Mei and just focus on walling off the enemy team from each other and headshotting with icicles while throwing ults, forgetting about freezing except when appropriate and not really feel any hate from Zarya. Is Zarya now strong against Mei or only neutral because she still has another playstyle basically unaffected?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The key to fixing junkrat is fixing his main weapon. His 2 abilities work fine, it's the fact that his main weapon is made for spam rather than fighting that holds him back. Increase the speed on the grenades but reduce the uptime (so they travel the same distance anyways).

And his garbage ult needs to be changed.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Papercut posted:

Don't make junkrat good

as a counter point --- do make junkrat good

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Junkrat just needs some moderate tweaks to find a home:
-Increase grenade velocity
-Increase grenade gravity
-Increase grenade hitbox VERY SLIGHTLY
-Increase explosion radius slightly while maintaining damage falloff.
-Halve Trap cooldown if it breaks/activates early.
-Increase remote-mine velocity/gravity.
-Increase Riptire speed slightly.

Like Hanjo, Junkrat's damage is unreliable. He'll never fully replace DPS, but could be used at certain points on certain maps.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Thor-Stryker posted:

Junkrat just needs some moderate tweaks to find a home:
-Increase grenade velocity
-Increase grenade gravity
-Increase grenade hitbox VERY SLIGHTLY
-Increase explosion radius slightly while maintaining damage falloff.
-Halve Trap cooldown if it breaks/activates early.
-Increase remote-mine velocity/gravity.
-Increase Riptire speed slightly.

Like Hanjo, Junkrat's damage is unreliable. He'll never fully replace DPS, but could be used at certain points on certain maps.

So make Junkrat insanely OP. I like where this is going.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Junkrat is bad if:

- you don't have another character who can actually finish kills instead of just throwing grenades everywhere and hoping they hit something
- the enemy has a good mccree, tracer, genji, pharah, hanzo, soldier, ana, widowmaker, reinhardt, winston, or zenyatta
- the enemy has a zarya who isn't literally a vegetable
- the enemy has a zarya who is a vegetable, but like, a smart vegetable, like a carrot or broccoli or something
- the other team is above you
- you're on offense
- you're on KOTH
- you're on defense but the map has lots of open areas
- you're on defense but the map has relatively little verticality
- you don't use traps actively (i.e. toss them out mid-fight)
- you can't consistently get to high ground on the first try with a conc jump
- you're playing a game whose name starts with O

Junkrat was used a bit even in the Overwatch Open.

His ult is actually good on many but not all maps if you time it right and make it a goal to take out a tank or a support or two. He's also not bad on offense depending on the enemy team. He can be either extremely effective or effectively worthless on Anubis B attack.

Is he awesome for 6 man master level top 500 fights? Probably not. But he has a place in the lower ranks. His burst damage is pretty awesome with the mine. Plus he's fun, and has a bit of a skill ceiling with his mobility in double mine jumping (which seems to be more a novelty, but still fun).

It does baffle me that demo in TF2 was considered so strong, but Junkrat with a similar kit doesn't really match up. Maybe if he had 8 mines on cooldown or something.

E:

Rick posted:

Silver or gold? I hit 2765 playing a lot of Junkrat solo queuing. He's not that bad. The try hard thread had a Goon take a Symmetra only account into low Diamond from like 600 rank with something around a 18-1 win rate. Only there did he start to become limited. A lot of his success was simply decision making.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 14, 2016

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Demo pipes have significantly faster projectile speed and sticky bombs are much more powerful and useful damage and movement wise. If you you replaced junkrat with the demoman he would be the strongest character in the game.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I see junkrat plenty on ps4, though I still play alot of quick play over competitive. I find his trap really annoying, mainly because I play alot as Lucio, and some tracer, so when I zip around the map I tend to run into his traps. Also his tires tend to zero in on me (even passing my teammates), and its hard to hit it with lucio's fart gun.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Zikan posted:

Demo pipes have significantly faster projectile speed and sticky bombs are much more powerful and useful damage and movement wise. If you you replaced junkrat with the demoman he would be the strongest character in the game.

Do it Blizzard

Shnag posted:

I see junkrat plenty on ps4, though I still play alot of quick play over competitive. I find his trap really annoying, mainly because I play alot as Lucio, and some tracer, so when I zip around the map I tend to run into his traps. Also his tires tend to zero in on me (even passing my teammates), and its hard to hit it with lucio's fart gun.

I love catching tracers zipping around so much. Laying them down near your teammates when a tracer is harassing them can be a pretty good strategy, especially on last point holds when the fight are doesn't change a whole lot. Also a lot of people are predictable, so you can often catch them in the same spot on the same flank route more than once.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm no pro, but as had been said in the thread already, I think a big part of why you see his usage falloff in pro play is because of his unreliable damage. That helps charge enemy support ults, something you didn't have in TF2. Also I haven't played TF2 in ages, but iirc, static defenses were much more prevalent.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Ragequit posted:

So make Junkrat insanely OP. I like where this is going.

Well, it does bring him closer to Pharah in terms of purpose, but he'll always be inferior because she gets the elevation advantage.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
If a class isnt being used by the pros i dont want it on my gold ranked comp team

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Junkrat definitely has a place in 2500 and lower play for the following reasons:

1. People at this level don't always fight for high ground or even look up most of the time making it easier to hit targets with M1 and surprise people with ult.
2. Enemy Reinharts will sometimes immediately charge when their shield is destroyed meaning a free kill and ult charge for your team.
3. Mine jumping through the air to get better line of sight for M1 is relatively safe to do as people have trouble aiming and/or don't run hitscan in their team.
4. Some teams will stall out on choke points due to M1 spam (more true for 2000 than 2500).
5. Tunnel vision is a real thing meaning people will rarely notice or dodge M1 shots that are bounced off walls.

This is all coming from experience playing 2000-2500 for the past couple months both playing as and against all sorts of junkrats. The good ones will be flying all over the level and know all the interesting spots to bounce M1 shots off of in order to hit unseen people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Go to that website, Trumpisnotateamplayer.com

Its no surprise which heroes he is depicted as lol.