Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

bbcisdabomb posted:

You might want to check the mobile template for strikerpg.com - there's a really nice looking car where your logo should be.

Lol wtf. I could swear it didn't always look like that.

Kibner posted:

It looks like there are duplicate pdf links on DriveThruRPG:

Strike.pdf | 18.6MB
Strike_Digital.pdf | 15.6MB

Am I right to assume the larger one is the one with all the changes?

It is. I emailed DriveThruRPG about that issue. That mystery file is invisible from my end, so I can't remove it. I expect they can fix it up tomorrow.

gourdcaptain posted:

The Reliable Feat errata did not make it into the new PDF.
Oh. Well, whatever. I was going back and forth on whether or not it needed the buff (or that particular buff). I had it filed away as something to make a final decision on later, but it looks as though fate and forgetfulness have decided for me!

It was a pretty marginal change either way; frankly I don't find the feat very compelling in either version compared to most other feats that have some real personality. It's not the balance, it's the lack of a good conceptual hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Oh. Well, whatever. I was going back and forth on whether or not it needed the buff (or that particular buff). I had it filed away as something to make a final decision on later, but it looks as though fate and forgetfulness have decided for me!

It was a pretty marginal change either way; frankly I don't find the feat very compelling in either version compared to most other feats that have some real personality. It's not the balance, it's the lack of a good conceptual hook.

It's still in the errata PDF, so you should change at least one or the other to keep it consistent.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

gourdcaptain posted:

It's still in the errata PDF, so you should change at least one or the other to keep it consistent.

I will change the errata PDF.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Speaking of DTRPG weirdness, is there any difference between the two Rogue pdfs up for download, or the two Hogtown ones?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What are some of the simplest class/role combos to grasp and play? I want to make some pregens for our one-off and at least two of my players are pretty flaky with character building. Or telling me how far along they are. I'd rather have something in store they can pick up immediately rather than walk them through creation before we can play.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

There's a recruitment going on for a Strike game, in case you didn't know: X-CRAWL: Umber Hulkamania

I was wondering, would it be prudent for a Strike noob to try out one of the playtest classes? I kind of want to see if anyone wants to play an Ogre with me, but maybe I should start out with one of the more tried and tested classes first?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

paradoxGentleman posted:

There's a recruitment going on for a Strike game, in case you didn't know: X-CRAWL: Umber Hulkamania

I was wondering, would it be prudent for a Strike noob to try out one of the playtest classes? I kind of want to see if anyone wants to play an Ogre with me, but maybe I should start out with one of the more tried and tested classes first?

Shame, I was interested in it till it was mentioned to be PBP, which I have no interest in doing for multiple reasons(combination of past attempts going badly, and me suffering from horrific choice paralysis and writers block in that kind of situation), would much rather play in a real time game(really annoys me how rare those seem to be in these parts)

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I posted about the possibility of playing one half of the Ogre in that same thread and got GM approval, so I'd be down! Would you rather be the Brawn or the Brains (or Might or Magic, I can't remember which was the appropriate terminology off the top of my head)? I'm open to both, although I do like playing big dumb martial characters so I'd gravitate towards being the Brawn, but it's not a deal-breaker for me. I don't have PMs unfortunately, so we'd have to find some other way to coordinate our characters.

The Ogre doesn't seem any more complex than any of the other classes to be honest, so I'd personally say that it should be okay for a newbie to test it out. The only "complexity" arises from not having full control of your movement and positioning on account of two players controlling the same token, but other than that it seems pretty straightforward.

e: Do note that applying as the Ogre would invariably mean that we'd be applying as a pair, so actually getting into the game would hinge on both of us getting into the game.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Oct 13, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I am sorry if I seem flaky, but while I was looking for alternatives in case the Ogre idea wasn't going to work, I came across the perfect idea for Buddies, in the form of the beautiful Princess Snurk and her faithful pages, Sinusamba and Nasalimbo.

I'm sorry, but I absolutely have to play as her. The siren call of her vast nostrils is too strong to resist.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am sorry if I seem flaky, but while I was looking for alternatives in case the Ogre idea wasn't going to work, I came across the perfect idea for Buddies, in the form of the beautiful Princess Snurk and her faithful pages, Sinusamba and Nasalimbo.

I'm sorry, but I absolutely have to play as her. The siren call of her vast nostrils is too strong to resist.

No problem at all! I'll still keep looking for someone to play the Ogre with me but failing at that I'll come up with another type of character for the game.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

CuddlyZombie posted:

Speaking of DTRPG weirdness, is there any difference between the two Rogue pdfs up for download, or the two Hogtown ones?

I'll check and get back to you on that. Hogtown got an important update, so it might be having the same issue with an old version hanging around. Don't know about the rogue.

My Lovely Horse posted:

What are some of the simplest class/role combos to grasp and play? I want to make some pregens for our one-off and at least two of my players are pretty flaky with character building. Or telling me how far along they are. I'd rather have something in store they can pick up immediately rather than walk them through creation before we can play.

Simplest Roles in order are: Striker, Controller, Leader, Defender.

Simplest Classes are probably Archer, Duelist, Necromancer, Warlord.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Say, is there a way in the character creator to pick the Super Buddy option that gives most of the HP to the Buddy?

e:nevermind, found it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Basically everything is in the form boxes on the left. They're the only inputs it knows how to handle. :) It wouldn't scale for a more complex system but for Strike it's ok.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Quick sanity check: Are you supposed to increase the Effect damage of Elite/Champion monsters' powers? Or just the number in the stat line?

What about trait damage, like the Blaster's Damage on a Miss? Do they go up for E/C and down for Stooges?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I've just been trying to hammer out all the business rules for these template monsters and I keep finding more in unexpected places. Expect more as I find time to keep poking at this.

e: And the Extra Damage for being higher level is just for power stat lines, right? Not for Effects or Traits?

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 13, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Most combos sans Blaster are pretty simple at level 1, so assuming you're starting there just do whatever sounds cool. Feats and power choices can complicate things a bit, but even then it isn't too bad. If your players have tactical game experience, either 4e DnD or some board games, consider starting at level 2 may for the added role power - it adds little complexity but makes combat a bit more interesting than using your Role action to Mark every turn as a defender or whatever.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

ImpactVector posted:

Quick sanity check: Are you supposed to increase the Effect damage of Elite/Champion monsters' powers? Or just the number in the stat line?

What about trait damage, like the Blaster's Damage on a Miss? Do they go up for E/C and down for Stooges?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I've just been trying to hammer out all the business rules for these template monsters and I keep finding more in unexpected places. Expect more as I find time to keep poking at this.

e: And the Extra Damage for being higher level is just for power stat lines, right? Not for Effects or Traits?

Just the damage line, as you expected.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
What's the up on any more ranged classes coming into this? With most classes being fairly melee focused I'm a little wary of modern or scifi reskinning.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay, together with a player I now built my (or rather her) first character: a mad scientist who built a creature from body parts, brought it to life with lightning, and is now making it walk around with a repurposed remote control from a 1990s toy car. We used the questionnaire for skills and I'm just wondering if it looks like we got the scope of things about right.

Skills: Physician, Electronics technician, Scientific Community (connection), Black Market (probably also connection?), Cooking, Etiquette
Trick: Can always find a scientific explanation
Complication: What is "ethics"?
Wealth: Rich (2)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Okay, together with a player I now built my (or rather her) first character: a mad scientist who built a creature from body parts, brought it to life with lightning, and is now making it walk around with a repurposed remote control from a 1990s toy car. We used the questionnaire for skills and I'm just wondering if it looks like we got the scope of things about right.

Skills: Physician, Electronics technician, Scientific Community (connection), Black Market (probably also connection?), Cooking, Etiquette
Trick: Can always find a scientific explanation
Complication: What is "ethics"?
Wealth: Rich (2)

Excellent complication.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

ShineDog posted:

What's the up on any more ranged classes coming into this? With most classes being fairly melee focused I'm a little wary of modern or scifi reskinning.

There are only 3 classes that don't have Ranged builds or options: Shapechanger, Duelist, Martial Artist. But yeah, there are plenty more ranged classes coming in the expansion - you can check out the playtest doc to see what's in the works.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Stupid questions return!

Do the monster traits like Extra Damage add to the blood drop number in the stat line? Or are they static modifiers? Basically, do they get doubled on crits?

I'm trying to figure out if I should have the damage from the Extra Damage traits on higher level template monsters automatically get added into the stat lines or if they should just remain traits.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

drrockso20 posted:

Shame, I was interested in it till it was mentioned to be PBP, which I have no interest in doing for multiple reasons(combination of past attempts going badly, and me suffering from horrific choice paralysis and writers block in that kind of situation), would much rather play in a real time game(really annoys me how rare those seem to be in these parts)

Be the change, etc.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

P.d0t posted:

Be the change, etc.

I've never successfully ran a game in the past, it always falls apart before I can start the first session for various reasons(this has happened at least a dozen times), so I think I'll have to decline at least for now

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ImpactVector posted:

Stupid questions return!

Do the monster traits like Extra Damage add to the blood drop number in the stat line? Or are they static modifiers? Basically, do they get doubled on crits?

I'm trying to figure out if I should have the damage from the Extra Damage traits on higher level template monsters automatically get added into the stat lines or if they should just remain traits.

Related question: Can you deal "extra damage" if for whatever reason you don't deal the original damage? (i.e. on a roll of 3)

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

ImpactVector posted:

Stupid questions return!

"Extra Damage" trait for monsters just increases the damage number, so does get doubled.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Related question: Can you deal "extra damage" if for whatever reason you don't deal the original damage? (i.e. on a roll of 3)

Most player-facing extra damage is worded like "deal 1 extra damage when you hit with an attack" or whatever. Generally yes, you can use that on a 3.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Ratpick posted:

No problem at all! I'll still keep looking for someone to play the Ogre with me but failing at that I'll come up with another type of character for the game.

Hey Ratpick! I tried to ask you in the Umber Hulkamania thread, but I think you didn't notice, so I'm asking here hoping you will. You should really get PMs.

My character idea was rejected, so I'd be game to playing an Ogre with you if you'd like.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Shade background already has a skill named Incorporeal. That sounds like a good fit.
Followup question.

First, I got it wrong and Incorporeal is a Complication for the Shade origin. Just to get that out of the way. :)
Second, and this is the important thing: there's a monster trait named Incorporeal that lets monsters move through obstacles and ignore terrain. Is that supposed to be the same trait as the Incorporeal complication? My gut feeling is no because it seems to undermine the idea behind complications and the existence of the Supernatural feat, but, y'know, keywords.

One of my players picked that origin and complication and the character generator has put the monster trait's properties on the character sheet.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Followup question.

First, I got it wrong and Incorporeal is a Complication for the Shade origin. Just to get that out of the way. :)
Second, and this is the important thing: there's a monster trait named Incorporeal that lets monsters move through obstacles and ignore terrain. Is that supposed to be the same trait as the Incorporeal complication? My gut feeling is no because it seems to undermine the idea behind complications and the existence of the Supernatural feat, but, y'know, keywords.

One of my players picked that origin and complication and the character generator has put the monster trait's properties on the character sheet.

No, that's a bug. The complication and trait are separate.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
So I've got a player who has an concept of a Summoner as an immigration officer. He talked about banishing extraplanar outsiders by denying their travel visa to this plane. I love this idea, and was thinking of giving him something similar to the Necromancer's command undead encounter power, that sends an extraplanar entity back to their plane. Basically a similarly situational encounter power. Would that be overpowered?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kaja Rainbow posted:

So I've got a player who has an concept of a Summoner as an immigration officer. He talked about banishing extraplanar outsiders by denying their travel visa to this plane. I love this idea, and was thinking of giving him something similar to the Necromancer's command undead encounter power, that sends an extraplanar entity back to their plane. Basically a similarly situational encounter power. Would that be overpowered?

I would allow this purely because of how good the concept is. I would just keep the power in mind when designing encounters. Also make sure the other players are cool with someone else getting a freebie.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I don't think it would break anything, but I honestly think it would work better as a non-combat Trick. What'll end up happening is any fight you guys have with extraplanar beings, you'll just have to add one more. And if that's not something that happens often, it's just another power to keep track of.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Ran my second session of Strike! today.

My players are a Martial Artist Striker, a Warlord Controller, an Archer Blaster, and a Necromancer Defender.

The Martial Artist is the best roleplayer of the group, he's always looking for something that'll move the game forward or entertain the rest of the party, and he's a dependable source of damage in tactical combat. The Necromancer is a good team player (she joined a little after the others and was pretty set on Necromancer but made her role choice based on what the party needed / was missing after the first session).

The Warlord's a lot like me, incredibly focused on the mechanical side of the game and combat especially. This is actually really helpful because it means I can ramp up the difficulty of encounters and she'll dependably break them apart. That said, Controllers seem incredibly powerful even allowing for her being the best tactician -- my last encounter was built around an Elite Horror (from the sample monsters), but Sap Strength made it hit like a pillow and it only lasted for about one turn after it was bloodied and got the double turn on initiative. I realized later that she wasn't even using Control Boost (which itself seems nuts -- forced movement every time you hit?!), and she still was the dominant force in the encounter. (There also a bunch of Sniper stooges to take advantage of the Horror's forced movement and an undead standard enemy who the Necromancer promptly dominated turn 1.)

On the other hand, the Archer Blaster is a complete rookie and I'm kind of kicking myself for not realizing how new he was before he picked a Blaster. He makes a lot of pretty poor choices in terms of order-of-operations stuff both with respect to his own actions and in terms of cooperating with other party members (hard to use beams when everyone gets stuck in with the enemy right away, although I'm going to see if I can set things up to give him more of a chance to shine in future encounters), and I haven't spent as much time as I should have making sure I understood all the players' abilities, which led to me being confused for a moment about exactly what Blitzer allows you to do.

So my main concerns at the moment are: are Controllers disproportionately strong as a role, or is it just my star player doing her thing / bad encounter design on my part? And what can I do (besides putting a crowd of weak minions off on one side of the map) to help the Blaster get on their feet?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

my last encounter was built around an Elite Horror

Well, this is precisely what Controllers excel at: locking down one monster. Build a fight with lots of weak monsters and the Blaster will be much more useful.

megane fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 17, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Champions also tend to shake off most of the Controller's punishment sooner rather than later. Which isn't to say you SHOULDN'T use elites, it's nice to give people time to shine in fights, but if I had to pick a thing which Controllers excelled against it'd be elites.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Champions also tend to shake off most of the Controller's punishment sooner rather than later. Which isn't to say you SHOULDN'T use elites, it's nice to give people time to shine in fights, but if I had to pick a thing which Controllers excelled against it'd be elites.

Elites have a hilarious tendency to be the least successful monster type with my group. They're threatening enough to get focus fire, but don't have the initiative breaking off the bat that Champions do to make the fight go in their favor. So every fight with an Elite in both the games I've ran has been: Beat them down to bloodied, then set up to instantly take them out at that point before they get the action economy boost to benefit them. Mostly by using Decapitate from the Martial Artists in both games with Crafty Controller or Harried application via Duelist, but there's been the occasional creative use of readied actions, initiative manipulation, high power attacks+Savage Striker, or such. And on top of that they eat enough encounter budget that its really felt when this happens.

This is less a problem with Strike and more with my players being kind of nuts tactically to oppose at times.

Edit: Also seen at high level "have the controller prone and can't get up far away from the main body of the fight, have the Archer Slow Poison arrow them, sit back and laugh."

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 17, 2016

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Hey Ratpick! I tried to ask you in the Umber Hulkamania thread, but I think you didn't notice, so I'm asking here hoping you will. You should really get PMs.

My character idea was rejected, so I'd be game to playing an Ogre with you if you'd like.

Yeah, I really need to get PMs. I replied to you in the Game Room thread, but thought I'd let you know here as well for good measure.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

ImpactVector posted:

Yeah, I don't think it would break anything, but I honestly think it would work better as a non-combat Trick. What'll end up happening is any fight you guys have with extraplanar beings, you'll just have to add one more. And if that's not something that happens often, it's just another power to keep track of.

I actually like it as a Trick. That works surprisingly well. Takes a bit of pull/effort to banish the extraplanar. I think I'll just have them have their cool moment and not inflate encounters just to keep it balanced. Extraplanars would be a relative minority anyways. (Though I'll have to find a way to sprinkle some in there. My campaign concept involves a mysterious gigantic dungeon showing up underground, and there're going to be more subterranean dwellers than anything else. Though I'll vary it up some.)

Sly Deaths Head
Nov 5, 2009
So I know this system isn't built for PVP tactical combat really but I've got a PvP scenario coming up next session so I'd figure I'd ask what you guys know about attempting it. Basically a party member just betrayed the party and set up an ambush with one of the minibosses of our campaign. The rest of the party is super into the idea of this potentially being our final boss (if they die) so it's too late to back down now. I suggested remaking her into a monster, running it as a team conflict, and other options but she and the other player I asked about it preferred just winging it. And I honestly prefer the idea too, since this is a final test of skill and experience for her character in a fight to the death. Having her play a different character or having it be super abstracted seems unfulfilling.

Is there a general sense how strong players are versus each other? I'm curious if they're lower than the equivalent of one monster or closer to something like a champion. Since there are other monsters involved, I'd like to roughly balance the PC's inclusion into their team for this fight. I do imagine there is no way to gauge this and this will be a guessing game creating a busted fight no matter what but I figure it's worth asking for advice.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Your main problem is that PC damage increases with level but that PC hitpoints do not. I've never tried it myself, but I'm guessing that pvp is fine from like, levels 1-4 but is insane laughable rocket tag at level 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Ferrinus posted:

Your main problem is that PC damage increases with level but that PC hitpoints do not. I've never tried it myself, but I'm guessing that pvp is fine from like, levels 1-4 but is insane laughable rocket tag at level 10.

Yeah, it'll probably be the first couple of hits being eaten by reactive "Nuh uh you didn't actually hit me" powers and then the next hit vapourises someone.