Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

juliuspringle posted:

Is there something pistol like (smaller than assault rifle I mean) that kicks the poo poo out of the M9 in Spec Ops? Because I'm a bit into it now and that doesn't feel like as good a backup as it did in the beginning. Also what are some other games with this plot twist? I know the first COD Modern Warfare apparently (or it's similar to Spec Ops) I just feel that's a story element I want more of.

edit: Apparently I was thinking of ADVANCED Warfare.

Call of Duty: Black Ops had a similar twist that was done pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
KotOR has a pretty big twist along similar lines.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Zaodai posted:

It seems like most shooters anymore end up including a twist of some sort just because they're expected to have them as part of the formula. Bioshock games at least do them somewhat well. One of the more recent Battlefield games (4, I think?) has what is clearly supposed to be a Call of Duty inspired "twist" moment in it, but since you don't really have a reason to care, it fell flat. You don't really buy BF games for single-player, but still.

I don't think I'd classify them as particularly twist-laden, but I would encourage you to check out the Metro series of games. They're fairly atmospheric/story based shooters. I haven't played the remakes of the first couple, but I understand they're in the same engine as Last Light, and that was pretty good. Even with the older, clunkier engine of the Originals, the Metro games were pretty cool.

Metro 2033 has a sort of twist at the end of the game. Last Light was pretty straight forward though. Bioshock 2 doesn't really have a plot twist either. Never played Infinite.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

EYE Divine Cybermancy has so many twists most people who beat the game still aren't sure what the hell happened.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

That reminds me of something I was thinking about. We have had so many story driven FPS games since Half Life 2, that when actual Half Life 3 is released, I probably won't care too much.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah, Half-Life 3 could never live up to its hype and if it ever does happen it needs to be released the moment it's announced.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

chairface posted:

EYE Divine Cybermancy has so many twists most people who beat the game still aren't sure what the hell happened.

That's more a function of the translation.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

blackguy32 posted:

Bioshock 2 doesn't really have a plot twist either.

Well, the twist was definitely saved for Minerva's Den :eyepop:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

al-azad posted:

Yeah, Half-Life 3 could never live up to its hype and if it ever does happen it needs to be released the moment it's announced.

To be fair, they said that for Half-Life 2 as well, and it came close to the hype. At the same time a lot of the FPS genre has changed for good and ill since HL2 so you are probably right.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

blackguy32 posted:

Also depends on what kind of twist you are looking for. Bioshock has a pretty big twist. In fact most of the story FPS games I can think of have plot twists.

Play the original Bioshock *only* if you're interested in the storyline and atmosphere. As far as shooters go, it's pretty mediocre.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Counterargument: You can go through the entire game with your only weapons being a wrench and a hand that shoots bees.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Play the original Bioshock *only* if you're interested in the storyline and atmosphere. As far as shooters go, it's pretty mediocre.
I played the first one only recently, and the gameplay held up really well for me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'd say Bioshock is best played by being as experimental as possible. You could easily stick to one go-to weapon, it's not a difficult game, but you'll have more fun being as goofy as possible. Bioshock 2 has better combat and lets you dual wield.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I liked Bioshock Infinite though towards the end it gets way too far up its own rear end.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Black Ops 3 had an oddly fantastic single player campaign.

Also if you play as a female main character you're canonically lesbian, which is depicted shockingly tastefully

Also it has some crazy twists if you dig deep into the story.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Black Ops 3 had an oddly fantastic single player campaign.

Also if you play as a female main character you're canonically lesbian, which is depicted shockingly tastefully

Also it has some crazy twists if you dig deep into the story.

That is now on my list though $40 it currently is is too much for a COD.

The twist I was talking about is you were the bad guy all along.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

The twist I was talking about is you were the bad guy all along.

In Spec Ops you could say that about every character and be right.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

That's more a function of the translation.

It doesn't help but it's still insane in French

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gynovore posted:

I tried to play it 3 times and get discouraged because of how awful it is. It's so meaty and slow. Everything feels and looks like it's made of meat.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Shibawanko posted:

Everything feels and looks like it's made of meat.

What the gently caress does this even mean?!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

1redflag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tScAyNaRdQ

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

chairface posted:

I beat it twice with friends and this statement is accurate

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

1redflag posted:

It does dude. Play the game. Everything is all glossy and greasy and moves slowly, as though made of cumberous, heaving flesh..

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Shibawanko posted:

It does dude. Play the game. Everything is all glossy and greasy and moves slowly, as though made of cumberous, heaving flesh..

So it's a horror-themed shooter where the controls and environments feel suitably weighty? How dreadful!

I highly recommend turning the difficulty down a notch from your usual and enjoying the ambiance rather than trying to COD it and rely on the game punishing you to make any sense of horror work. You can get a lot more from the sound design and storyline than you can get from the combat itself.

I think that's where people diverge. It's not that the gameplay is super amazing, it's not like Quake 3 Arena or whatever. But the gameplay doesn't obstruct the story and design. That's all it needs to do.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

if you're going back in time to play Bioshock 1, just keep going and play System Shock 2 instead

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Jesus, if he doesn't like the game, then he doesn't like it. End of story. I agree with him that all of the character models look like they are made out of play-doh that was slathered in vaseline.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shibawanko posted:

Everything feels and looks like it's made of meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tScAyNaRdQ

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

blackguy32 posted:

Jesus, if he doesn't like the game, then he doesn't like it. End of story. I agree with him that all of the character models look like they are made out of play-doh that was slathered in vaseline.

Thread Title posted:

Games › The "What should I know before I play this game for the first time?" Q&A!

Players should know the gameplay is fine. Given that this game takes place in a run-down underwater environment, having the characters look like slimy meat- perhaps even meat that's been locked up in a submarine for too long- is perhaps not necessary to spell out before playing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I asked a similar question in the general Steam thread, but figured it might be better for here: I genuinely have never played GTA4, but really enjoyed 5, both single and multiplayer (mostly for doing random poo poo, owning property, playing minigames like golf, etc). I already sort of own it (sharing libraries with my wife, and she owns it). What should I know about it? I'm aware that the car physics are kind of hosed, but I don't really care. Also I heard that the DLC is pretty great, right?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:hf:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I asked a similar question in the general Steam thread, but figured it might be better for here: I genuinely have never played GTA4, but really enjoyed 5, both single and multiplayer (mostly for doing random poo poo, owning property, playing minigames like golf, etc). I already sort of own it (sharing libraries with my wife, and she owns it). What should I know about it? I'm aware that the car physics are kind of hosed, but I don't really care. Also I heard that the DLC is pretty great, right?

Ballad of Gay Tony is legitimately great. The Lost MC one was kind of dull.

When given the choice of who to kill, kill the rich drug dealer. The other guy gives some nice perks.

Escaping the cops is a matter of avoiding driving in a straight line and making some turns down side streets and then hiding out. Driving straight only causes cops to spawn in front of you.

But honestly, I found GTA 4 to be a dour game that kind of ceased being fun after the bank heist mission, and since you already played GTA V, I don't think anything in the game compares to the stuff that happens in that.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

blackguy32 posted:

Ballad of Gay Tony is legitimately great. The Lost MC one was kind of dull.
For some reason, BoGT thinks helicopter controls in GTA are a-ok, and that you'll enjoy having half the missions involving a helicopter.

For (a similar?) a reason, The Lost thinks you really enjoyed hanging out with a bunch of unnredeemable loving assholes in the main game, and made its character collection as assholish as possible.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The lost dlc at least made motorcycles fun to drive. In the vanilla game they were terrible. I can't remember if the dlc went back and changed the driving physics for the base game too, though.

Speaking of; one sure fire way to dodge cops is to grab a motorcycle and drive into a subway tunnel. They won't follow you down there. You can do it on foot, too, but having a bike makes getting through the tunnels a lot faster.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

The lost dlc at least made motorcycles fun to drive. In the vanilla game they were terrible. I can't remember if the dlc went back and changed the driving physics for the base game too, though.

Speaking of; one sure fire way to dodge cops is to grab a motorcycle and drive into a subway tunnel. They won't follow you down there. You can do it on foot, too, but having a bike makes getting through the tunnels a lot faster.

Can you ride the subway? What are some neat non-story things you can do?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
cahsin nico would you like to go bowling

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Shadow Complex: Remastered please.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A Real Happy Camper posted:

cahsin nico would you like to go bowling

I was going to post something along these lines. :saddowns:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

You can get drunk with your friends and then try to drive back. That is usually pretty hilarious. I know you can go to the strip club. I usually never wanted to do any of those things, but your friends will sure as hell call you over and over again about doing something.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A few missions revolve around chasing someone you're supposed to kill, and some of them are set up so they're invulnerable until you arrive at a scripted spot where you'll enter into a shootout with them. Don't waste ammo and time trying to gun them down during the chase. Caveat: not all chase-and-kill missions work this way.

Taking your friends to activities increases their friendship ratings, and they'll do favours for you if you keep them high. It gets tedious pretty quickly. The most useful favour is probably Little Jacob's, who sells you guns at a discount anywhere you are. Driving friends to activities does give you a ton of dialogue that elaborates on the characters, events in the game, relationships etc. so if that's your thing you may like it more than most people.

You can see some standup sets by Ricky Gervais and Katt Williams, and Frankie Boyle in the DLC.

e: if you spare someone's life, chances are you'll bump into them in the street later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

You can see some standup sets by Ricky Gervais and Katt Williams, and Frankie Boyle in the DLC.

e: if you spare someone's life, chances are you'll bump into them in the street later.

All of the things you mentioned are cool with me, but this.... this is incredible.