Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Asciana posted:

Does running the game with mods lockout achievements at all?

No, but you have to launch SMAPI through Steam with the command line thing. I've gotten at least two cheevos while playing with mods today and yesterday.

e: Let me be more useful. Most of the mods I listed in this post? - Have to be run with SMAPI, this thing.

quote:

>Make sure all requirements are installed.
>Extract the SMAPI zip archive alongside your Stardew.exe. For example, if using Steam this would be somewhere like ‘C:/ProgramFiles/Steam/steamapps/common/StardewValley’.
>To start SMAPI, launch StardewModdingAPI.exe.

NOTE!: If you are using Steam and still wish to have the Steam overlay while playing, you will need to add a launch option to the game. For example, this launch option will tell Steam to use SMAPI by default: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\StardewModdingAPI.exe %command%

It's simple, it works, and I can track my in-game time with Steam, get cheevos, and take screenshots via the Steam client.

e2: Make sure you're getting this version of SMAPI so it's all up to date.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Trast posted:

Are all these mods on the Steam Workshop or just a specific Stardew site?

Also does that livestock coloring mod change their eggs and breeds or is it just random color swapping?

It technically creates new breeds beyond White Chicken and Brown Chicken, but uses the same code as one or the other, so the new breeds only lay white eggs or brown eggs, depending on which color chicken code was used. You can't add new eggs yet, but seriously, screw having to stack even more different types of eggs in my inventory. :argh:

Lavapulse on the Chucklefish Stardew Valley Mod forums has a detailed post about it which includes their own custom chicken breeds. (Both some basic chicken recolors as well as various colors of silkie chickens too!)

They then made a tool for adding new breeds into the game automatically, but I've no idea if that tool still works for patch 1.1.

I added all the breeds in the manual way, which is tedious, but doesn't require any programming knowledge at all. You just copy and paste the exact code for White Chickens (Brown Chickens or Void Chickens if you want your new breeds to lay those types of eggs instead) a couple more times in \Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Content\Animals\FarmAnimals.xnb and then put the modder's White Silkie Chicken.xnb and BabyWhite Silkie Chicken.xnb files into the same folder, and BAM you can now have white silkie chickens in game.

It looks like this:

The unaltered FarmAnimals.xnb has different code for each of the chicken breeds:
code:
White Chicken: "1/3/176/174/cluck/8/32/48/32/8/32/48/32/0/false/Coop/16/16/16/16/4/7/null/641/800" #!String
Brown Chicken: "1/3/180/182/cluck/8/32/48/32/8/32/48/32/0/false/Coop/16/16/16/16/7/4/null/641/800" #!String
Void Chicken: "1/3/305/305/cluck/8/32/48/32/8/32/48/32/0/false/Coop/16/16/16/16/4/4/null/641/800" #!String
The different codes makes White Chickens lay white eggs, Brown Chickens lay brown eggs, and Void Chickens lay void eggs. The code below is what is added to FarmAnimals.xnb to make new breeds. As you can see, these are all identical to the White Chicken's or Brown Chicken's code.

code:
White Silkie Chicken: "1/3/176/174/cluck/8/32/48/32/8/32/48/32/0/false/Coop/16/16/16/16/4/7/null/641/800" #!String
Buff Silkie Chicken: "1/3/176/174/cluck/8/32/48/32/8/32/48/32/0/false/Coop/16/16/16/16/4/7/null/641/800" #!String
Black Silkie Chicken: "1/3/176/174/cluck/8/32/48/32/8/32/48/32/0/false/Coop/16/16/16/16/4/7/null/641/800" #!String
Blue Orpington Chicken: "1/3/176/174/cluck/8/32/48/32/8/32/48/32/0/false/Coop/16/16/16/16/4/7/null/641/800" #!String
Barred Rock Chicken: "1/3/180/182/cluck/8/32/48/32/8/32/48/32/0/false/Coop/16/16/16/16/7/4/null/641/800" #!String
Buff Orpington Chicken: "1/3/180/182/cluck/8/32/48/32/8/32/48/32/0/false/Coop/16/16/16/16/7/4/null/641/800" #!String
You should be able to buy them in game (not a separate option from the normal Buy A Chicken option). I haven't tested that, because I just changed each of my preexisting chickens to whatever color I wanted.

If you want to change your preexisting white and brown chickens to these new colors, you just edit your save file to switch each of your chickens to the specific color wanted, which also looks like a bunch of code, but really is a simple find and replace job in a text editor. It's explained in the thread linked above.

It's exactly the same procedure for the other species' custom breeds. I have Californian rabbits, blue Dutch rabbits, chocolate rabbits, black swans, mute swans, mallards, etc. Whatever recolors people have made of an animal, you can add it as a different breed in your game, even if the files they supplied are default replacements.

For instance I edited a default replace rabbit mod someone else made for this. And by "edited" I mean literally renamed the files. (Okay, I did edit them in photoshop so they had the same type of line eyes the chickens, cows, and sheep do in game. Their little dot eyes were weird next to the other animals.)

There's even more chickens, brown goats, different cows, multi-colored pigs, deer, alpaca, turkeys, swans, dodos, skeletal pigs, tons of different recolors out there. Go hogwild! :psyboom:

(There are also pokemon replacements.)

limp_cheese posted:

Horse whistle is one of the must have mods.

An excellent find. Is it still working with 1.1?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Giant Boy Detective posted:

Horse-Whistle-Teleport-Mod.zip (3277 downloads) For SDV 1.0, SDV 1.1

I'm going to say yes! Haven't tested it yet though, as I don't have a stable yet. :v:

Also, excellent post! I'm not ready to hack in new chickens yet, but looking forward to sprucing up my coop in a couple in-game years!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Giant Boy Detective posted:

Yeah.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Do y'all fence in your animals?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Free-range animals are well known to be superior :colbert:

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

CJB Automation makes machines/kegs/furnaces pull source materials and push processed materials into adjacent chests, which I love because I am extremely lazy. It hasn't been explicitly updated for 1.1 yet, but it's still working for me for now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I fence in my chickens! Helps me keep track of which grass I'm cutting and which I'm leaving alone.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I do. It looks nice, makes it easier to keep track of how much grazing grass they have left, and keeps them out of the way.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

Horse-Whistle-Teleport-Mod.zip (3277 downloads) For SDV 1.0, SDV 1.1

I'm going to say yes! Haven't tested it yet though, as I don't have a stable yet. :v:

Also, excellent post! I'm not ready to hack in new chickens yet, but looking forward to sprucing up my coop in a couple in-game years!

I grabbed it because I've lost the horse more than once, works fine. No sound or anything, you just press "V" and the horse teleports to you.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Which trim best trim in the valley?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So stoked for spring year two. Going to drop down 40 parnsips to get the golds for the artisan bundle and 496 cauliflower which should pop just in time for the egg festival. Then I'm going to buy two full 536 crops worth of strawberries, one for this season and one for the start of year three. Dollars rollin' in boys. My apotheosis into Scrooge McDuck is almost complete.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Meridian posted:

So stoked for spring year two. Going to drop down 40 parnsips to get the golds for the artisan bundle and 496 cauliflower which should pop just in time for the egg festival. Then I'm going to buy two full 536 crops worth of strawberries, one for this season and one for the start of year three. Dollars rollin' in boys. My apotheosis into Scrooge McDuck is almost complete.

Dang! Here I am back in year one getting super ambitious by planting ten of everything new for this fall.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Meridian posted:

I grabbed it because I've lost the horse more than once, works fine. No sound or anything, you just press "V" and the horse teleports to you.

Be careful when you call the horse. I've had to restart a day because I glitched into the special trader wagon.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dang! Here I am back in year one getting super ambitious by planting ten of everything new for this fall.

The money starts to add up really, really fast. Dive the mines every chance you get to get Iron and Gold. By summer you'll have a decent amount of materials to craft quality sprinklers which will free up a majority of your day to plant way more poo poo, or fish or whatever you want, really. At this point my only "busy" day is the first of the season when I have to till and water the initial crop.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Omnicarus posted:

Which trim best trim in the valley?

Hailey

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Nope, but that's solely because I have problems keeping enough grazing grass around in any pen areas I've tried to set up.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Someone blocked out a set up on the farm planner for the forest layout a few pages back and I've gone with that, a bit concerned about how small the space is for a full coop and barn, but I figure I can always replant grass and the barn/coop have autofeeders at this point so it probably won't be that big of a deal.

The coop is the poo poo, I wish the barn wasn't such a big pain in the rear end.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Meridian posted:

I am at basically the same point as you, just finishing up my second Spring. Who ever said that there is no money to be made in Spring is a fool! I did the same as you, put down some cauliflower and pushed the profits into Strawberries. I also had about 300 Coffee Beans from last season, so I planted them all! The Coffee plants are now producing an absurd amount of beans. I Don't have the capacity to process all of these beans yet. My Keg making operations are only starting to get into swing. My limiting factor is Oak Resin, so I've tapped every Oak tree in the entire Valley, and have begun a culling of my tree farm for Oak exclusively. All in all I am doing about 100X better than my first play through. I am now taking it a a lot more chill, I will go to bed before noon lots of days.

I have started investing in Diamond duplicating machines. I have no use for Iridium tools or Sprinklers, so I am putting it to use making money. I have nearly reached the $1,00,000 profit mark!

My fields, mostly Coffee and Strawberries. Some other random stuff in the mix too. I have turned the hardwood harvesting area into a fruit tree grove. I bought two of every tree sapling from Pierre, and I get another one when they are "on sale" at the traveling cart. I have filled ever space on the farm with Crab Pots, Most days I don't bother to loot them any more :v:

Crop processing facilities. I am working on bringing up my Keg capacity, but Oak Resin is hard to come by :( The animals don't seem to mind living with the Kegs.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I'm pretty sure two of those trees aren't going to grow quickly (or at all?) due to being too close to the stumps. The 8 tiles around the sapling must be completely clear.

Looks like a pretty cool setup overall!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Solumin posted:

I'm pretty sure two of those trees aren't going to grow quickly (or at all?) due to being too close to the stumps. The 8 tiles around the sapling must be completely clear.

Some of those are not going to grow. You need a least one space clear around a fruit tree for it to grow. That includes no overlapping free spaces so 2 trees need 2 spaces between each tree.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

limp_cheese posted:

Some of those are not going to grow. You need a least one space clear around a fruit tree for it to grow. That includes no overlapping free spaces so 2 trees need 2 spaces between each tree.

Solumin posted:

:negative:
My efficiency!

Its fine, I have the fruit bat cave so I already collected every fruit. I just wanted those trees sooner than later.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Solumin posted:

The ones next to the stumps will grow as long as you chop the stumps every day.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Hey, so I know this thread recently discussed good strategy for Spring 1, but would someone mind expanding that strategy into the best way to run Summer 1?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

TequilaJesus posted:

Hey, so I know this thread recently discussed good strategy for Spring 1, but would someone mind expanding that strategy into the best way to run Summer 1?

Blueberries and kegs/preserve jars I would think. More coffee if you started a crop in spring.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

TequilaJesus posted:

Full gold grind?

Spring1: Turnips all day every day. Cut down the trees in even amounts of each so you get seeds to make field snack out of. Plant turnips, sell them and buy more turnips. Sell the wood, the stone, all the gems you find and buy more turnips.

In summer buy all the blueberries you can afford. Keep buying more until you have around 300 (also upgrade the watering can with any extra gold)

in fall buy as many cranberries as you can up to 300. Also pick jojomart and buy the green house upgrade. Fill it with Cranberries. Spend extra gold on metals for sprinklers.

Spend all winter harvesting cranberries. By the time you reach spring year 2 you should have all upgrades and about a million gold :v:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

TequilaJesus posted:

1. Craft Quality Sprinklers
2. Prep Community Center Farming Requirements (Basic Soil + Melons + Other required crops.)
3. Grow Blueberries/Hops (Unless you somehow obtained a lot of Coffee beans.)
4. Craft Kegs (Hope you sapped enough Oak Resin.)
5. Prepare for Fall.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
True pros fence in their animals with lightning rods.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

True pros fence in their animals with lightning rods.

I did this in industrial craft and it meant a lot of free cooked meat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So I guess they rolled back the fix that made winter roots and snow yams unobtainable from the desert. If you're looking for quick cash or easy Winter Seeds, just strip mine the desert and you'll get about 40-60 snow yams and the same amount of winter roots, plus a bunch of clay.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Captain Invictus posted:

So I guess they rolled back the fix that made winter roots and snow yams unobtainable from the desert. If you're looking for quick cash or easy Winter Seeds, just strip mine the desert and you'll get about 40-60 snow yams and the same amount of winter roots, plus a bunch of clay.

haha

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
This might be a silly question but what are all your feelings on fertilizer? Stick with basic or go to the fish kind? Use it every time or only for certain crops?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I use Deluxe Speed-Gro outdoors, and Quality Fertilizer in the greenhouse for multi-harvest plants like cranberries.

Deluxe Speed-Gro can reduce a crop's growth time by multiple days depending on the grow time, and barrels/kegs don't count star rating, so I don't really bother with Quality Fertilizer outside. Inside the greenhouse though, since Deluxe Speed-Gro only affects the initial plant growth, it doesn't matter past the actual plant's growth so it's Quality all the way for that.

Early on, I'm inclined to say don't bother. But when you can get Pumpkins in 10 or 11 days instead of 13(or whatever their grow time is) it can make a big difference and also allow for additional crop growing in a single season, like two rounds of Pumpkins with a round of Bok Choy or that purple wheat stuff for example, that otherwise might not be possible in the timeframe allowed.

If you've got a surplus of crab pots and expendable "fish" from it(clams, mussels, etc, NOT crabs or lobsters since those are good sellers or make great food items), might be worth churning them into quality fertilizer. Sap can become the limiting factor in that case though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Fertilizer that boosts crop quality is a fine idea on any crop, but be aware that if the crop drops multiple products like potatoes or blueberries or cranberries then the fertilizer only affects one of the products, the rest of each pick will be spawned as if the crop was unfertilized.

Speed-Gro is the best if you plan on converting the product to jelly or pickles or wine or something, because gold star crops and no-star crops both make the same value wine.

Retaining soil is pretty worthless especially once you convert over to all sprinklers, which you'll probably do in the first year. Even without sprinklers the only thing retaining soil saves you is a little energy, which stops being a concern halfway through the first spring when the salmonberries bloom.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
First game I thought Fertilizer was just extraneous work. Who cares about the quality? More loving money? Who gives a poo poo? I'm the smartest person in the room!

Eventually I started worrying I wouldn't get 5 gold star Parsnips in my second year and I'd have to wait til year 3 to complete the bundle. Then it hit me, loving fertilizer.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I make basic fertilizer because it's free and use it the first year but beyond that I don't bother. I might have used it more if it was some thing you put into a slot and it was consumed as you planted. But on the first day when you need to hoe, fertilize, plant and water 700 crops there often isn't enough time to fertilize it.

The main problem being that if your crop doesn't pass over into the next season to die (multi crop plants) then the ground will be all messed up for the next season. untilled earth won't be watered so you have to till the holes and then water the holes and it just takes forever.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Yup. I accidentally sold my gold parsnips and ate one of my melons so i'm having to wait til Summer Year 2 for the greenhouse. Just 2 seasons to go though and if it wasnt for the barn animals i'd already be sleeping my way through the whole of winter.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Asciana posted:

Yup. I accidentally sold my gold parsnips and ate one of my melons so i'm having to wait til Summer Year 2 for the greenhouse. Just 2 seasons to go though and if it wasnt for the barn animals i'd already be sleeping my way through the whole of winter.

Jojo mart has a neat greenhouse for sale :eng101:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Asciana posted:

Why are people not growing winter forage seeds in winter? Seriously, they get benefits from the foraging perks and can make you more money than any other season. The only limiting factor is finding enough forage for seeds but that is taken care of after the first harvest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

limp_cheese posted:

Why are people not growing winter forage seeds in winter? Seriously, they get benefits from the foraging perks and can make you more money than any other season. The only limiting factor is finding enough forage for seeds but that is taken care of after the first harvest.

I was making a steady 8k daily just off animal products alone, upwards of 22k daily on days where my preserve jars popped so money was not really an issue.

Spent the time diving the skull cavern and fishing. Not a huge fan of foraging to begin with.