Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Halfway through Taibbi's latest in RS and loving :laffo:

quote:

All 16 of the non-Trump entrants were dunces, religious zealots, wimps or tyrants, all equally out of touch with voters. Scott Walker was a lipless sadist who in centuries past would have worn a leather jerkin and thrown dogs off the castle walls for recreation. Marco Rubio was the young rake with debts. Jeb Bush was the last offering in a fast-diminishing hereditary line. Ted Cruz was the Zodiac Killer. And so on.

Also, I present to you the current GOP base summed up in a single photo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Agrajag posted:

can someone explain what this means and have a clip of paul ryan's speech?

No clip, but in 1996 when it became obvious Bob Dole wasn't going to win, the republicans did the wise move of pulling all but token support for the white house race and sent it downballot, saying, "Don't give Bill Clinton a blank check." It worked, and to Bob Dole's credit, he was ok with it.

The problem is Trump is not Bob Dole, and he won't take stuff like that lightly.

Cthulhumatic posted:

Jesus, that's the GOP's End of Days in picture form.

Pretty much.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Agrajag posted:

Here are some snippets:

https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/786977696714723328

https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/786978108171747328

https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/786979180416077825

https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/786980851372273665

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Agrajag posted:

it means that they need to focus funds and energy down ballot because Trump is losing traditional republicans

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

If that happened, Alaska would probably flip too.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The UK had that huge scandal that implicated tons of powerful people with sexual abuse (of minors too?). Did any of the people implicated actually have to answer for anything?

Yeah, some did. This guy, for example, whom I absolutely adored as a child

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolf_Harris

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ryan... proclaiming CLINTON will be paternalistic.

lafooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

There was a good point of Keeping it 1600 though, which is who's going to go to the polls just to vote for their Republican Congressional candidate and write in the top of the ticket? Maybe a percentage, but not a good quantity

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

torgeaux posted:

Jeez, I'm dealing with a guy who thinks Trump's problem, and why he's hurting the GOP, is that he embraced liberal economic theory and betrayed conservative principles. Sure. It's worth it to go back and examine the 2012 Republican autopsy, and watch them ignore every lesson they learned, and even ignore where they got it wrong.

This is exactly the "lesson" that rank-and-file conservatives will take from this election. The Republican leadership's lesson is going to be "we need tighter control over the nominating process and for the love of god, fewer primary contestants."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Saying you must avoid giving the incoming president a blank check is a tacit admission you've lost the presidency and now must focus on building an opposition downticket. It was famously used against Bill Clinton during the 1996 election once it was clear Dole was hosed.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

trash person posted:

I like Trump's whole, 'I have evidence the accusations are false.' thing.

I hope it's a photograph of what the women were wearing on the respective days and Trump being like, "See what she was wearing, she wanted it."

I turned on Rush for 30 seconds, he was talking about how the woman who was groped on the plane couldn't remember whether the plane was a 737 or not. Clear evidence folks.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Quorum posted:

They tune out the individual stories, certainly. But the reason that dog bites man stories are inconsequential is because there was already a widespread understanding that dogs bite men. If voters start tuning out stories about sexual assault, it will be because there is now a widespread understanding that Donald Trump is a sexual abuser. I find it hard to believe that this would be good for Donald Trump.

Winning over die hard trumpeters was never within the realm of possibility, it's all about making a cash grab for the center and bernie bros

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

as a person on twitter so aptly put it: "what planet he on?"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Samovar posted:

Ryan... proclaiming CLINTON will be paternalistic.

lafooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Paul Ryan is an evil human being who wants the poors and elderly to die in the street. It's good not to forget that.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
This latest batch of scandals hasn't actually moved the needle on Trump himself for me. I've been at maximum outrage for the man since his Arizona speech.

What they have done is undermine my confidence in the people in positions of authority who could've stopped this. At this point, anyone putting Donald Trump in contact with a human female had to know there was a realistic chance that something bad was going to happen.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/786981448419008512

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Paul Ryan is a spineless coward.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The GOP is a mess.

The GOP is a waste.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

zxqv8 posted:

Demolition is hardly the worst thing that could happen.

Let it stand, but rename it. Mark Cuban is a good choice, as I think someone else mentioned. But I'm sure there's some other name that would piss him off even more to have to look at.

I'd like for Cuban to buy it and rename it the Jill Harth Tower.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Crabtree posted:

He deserves to have everything taken from him, for his empire to fall and for his tower to be demolished.
I'd say the Tower should have the decency to collapse like a good final boss' lair, except... Trump and decency, good joke.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Adam Kinzinger being labelled a traitor is loving delusional. He's the guy who sent that "Second Amendment Survey" that just asked about abortion that I posted before. He's like a prototypical generic hard right winger.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/786983451689836544
This is a bad thing? :confused:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Withnail posted:

I turned on Rush for 30 seconds, he was talking about how the woman who was groped on the plane couldn't remember whether the plane was a 737 or not. Clear evidence folks.

how has this fucker not OD'd on oxy already

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
"Liberal Progressivism doesn't work" haha what I'd give to see someone force him to unpack that statement.

Please, do go on. Explain what you mean and on what evidence :allears:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

straight up brolic posted:

There was a good point of Keeping it 1600 though, which is who's going to go to the polls just to vote for their Republican Congressional candidate and write in the top of the ticket? Maybe a percentage, but not a good quantity

Right, and that is why Hillary is running up the score as much as possible. The more people that can be convinced that Trump is going to lose badly the more demoralized GOP members don't bother to show up to vote. Dems will need some whipping to keep the numbers up hillary has a massive GOTV operation and it isn't that hard to get people excited about being part of a winning team. If the turnout is midterm levels for the republicans and presidential levels for the democrats you would be looking at a GOP downballot massacre.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

Seth Meyers had a great joke on... Tuesday? about how the R leaders, including Ryan, are so spineless they have to be transported by bucket.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

It's the exact same appeal to resentment Trump has nakedly exploited, only with more polite and refined language.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

No Butt Stuff posted:

TO be fair. The tea party did claim his spine as a trophy years ago.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Well at least Paul Ryan learned his lesson and carefully hand picked people to ask questions.

psutify
Oct 19, 2012

Is this someone's "people to murder" list?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Penisaurus Sex posted:

This latest batch of scandals hasn't actually moved the needle on Trump himself for me. I've been at maximum outrage for the man since his Arizona speech.

What they have done is undermine my confidence in the people in positions of authority who could've stopped this. At this point, anyone putting Donald Trump in contact with a human female had to know there was a realistic chance that something bad was going to happen.

Yeah. Similarly the fact that the Republican party let it get this far and he's frighteningly close to being elected while going full open fascist is unbelievably irresponsible.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Yes, but the country boy let her play with his rifle, Laura. That's the point that's being debated here.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/Philip_Elliott/status/786978803222515712
https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/786983730225225728

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This might be the sleeper nominee for new favorite Trump nonsense quote:

quote:

I'm telling you, Hillary will just be another four years of Obama, which is worse than Obama.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Secret Agent X23 posted:

I'd like for Cuban to buy it and rename it the Jill Harth Tower.

And turn it into low income housing.

Also, thought this was interesting:

http://www.citypaper.com/blogs/the-news-hole/bcpnews-white-house-announces-green-initiatives-for-baltimore-20161014-story.html

The White House just passed an initiative that will grant money and resources to Baltimore to turn vacant lots and dead blocks into green spaces, community gardens and the like, as well as establishing urban wildlife and nature refuges and bringing jobs to the community. It's apparently going to be the first of it's kind of this scale, and I'm really curious to see how it turns out and if other cities follow suit

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
still endorses Trump, gg

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Withnail posted:

I want to call into his show and ask if he can remember the model of plane he was on when he got popped with having boner pills in a bottle with someone else's name on it.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

psutify posted:

Is this someone's "people to murder" list?

it's happened before

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
At this point expecting Ryan to unendorse assumes he himself does not believe in or approve of Trumps message.

No, I think he's right on loving board with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Are there any good websites that let you see how the electoral map looks if you give Clinton +X% nationally or otherwise mess around with things like turnout? The closest thing I know was that one that let you tweak the 2012 results, but given the changes in the electorate this year I'm wondering if there's something more up to date.

• Locked thread