Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't know adding development straight up added institution, makes development ideas a lot more powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

PittTheElder posted:

I wonder if something is weird about Korea in particular, like a province in the wrong region or something? Seems like there's a lot of Korea related shenanigans happening with Institutions.

I used it as an example since it's the game I'm playing now and with them being super far from the first spawn of the institutions, it's kinda necessary to develop a new one as them (IMO), but I'm pretty certain it can happen with any team. One of the devs even did it as France in the streams.

As for why Korea develops a lot, they have one of the best monarchs at the start of the game, so now that the game starts with no tech malus for them, they have a lot of points to dump.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Decided get the expansion and weather the known bugs. Think I hit another one. Called Castille into war by promising land. Occupied 4 provinces and Castille took the same amount, they only kept one and transferred 3 to me. I peaced out with 3 provinces I had control of and gave one to Castille. Went to start another war and Castille and my allies won't join because I broke a war promise to give land...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Koramei posted:

As for why Korea develops a lot, they have one of the best monarchs at the start of the game, so now that the game starts with no tech malus for them, they have a lot of points to dump.

That makes a lot of sense, OK.

Marenghi posted:

Decided get the expansion and weather the known bugs. Think I hit another one. Called Castille into war by promising land. Occupied 4 provinces and Castille took the same amount, they only kept one and transferred 3 to me. I peaced out with 3 provinces I had control of and gave one to Castille. Went to start another war and Castille and my allies won't join because I broke a war promise to give land...

They expect to receive rewards proportionate to their contribution. If you look in the diplomatic tab it'll tell you what provinces it is that they do want. On the peace deal screen it also warns you with a green/red thumbs up/down as to how your allies perceive the deal you're assembling.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
I was called into a war against Spain by my ally, France, which they had started. France's armies then proceeded to sit on their arses in Brittany doing absolutely bugger all even while Spanish armies were besieging Paris. And this was a stack of 53K with a two-star general, just sitting there doing nothing. Eventually France gave up and ceded the Baelares to Spain after having done gently caress all for the entire war. :thumbsup:

I'm guessing this is a bug of some sort?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Sparta posted:

I havent played in a while, and I started a game as Ireland. I managed to get like 70% of the island, but England has the rest (and a chunk of Scotland). Now England has me as their rival, and I am kinda boned. France is weak, as are Castille/Aragon/Anyone.

So I tried expanding in to North America to get some more provinces. I got 5 cored... and then it turned in to a colonial state ;_; so I quit because I had been working (and spending a ton of money) trying to get those going, only to have them slip away from me.

Does anyone have any advice for this? I can't move my capital west without giving up all my (much bigger) provinces in Ireland. Part of me is thinking I could make subject nations out of all my irish states, move my capital, and then reannex them in 50 years? But maybe I can't, because my capital will be on a different continent and they'll be harder to befriend.

Ideas? I'm down for gamey solutions.

Look closely at the colonial regions mapmode. Find where the line is and colonise 4 provinces on either side of it. No colonial nation provided you never expand!

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Bishop Rodan posted:

I was called into a war against Spain by my ally, France, which they had started. France's armies then proceeded to sit on their arses in Brittany doing absolutely bugger all even while Spanish armies were besieging Paris. And this was a stack of 53K with a two-star general, just sitting there doing nothing. Eventually France gave up and ceded the Baelares to Spain after having done gently caress all for the entire war. :thumbsup:

Sometimes the AI is unresponsive like that. Rebooting the game will usually fix it.

I'm surprised they haven't fixed that yet.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Will colonizing Australia get you colonialism?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

Not that I noticed from my Malaysia game

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

I think you need an actual colonial nation to form which screwed me over for a few decades during my Japan game because I was dumb and didn't ask myself this very same question despite it being fairly intuitive.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
On the wiki it says you just have to have discovered the new world so maybe colonize australia for the range and just walk around on it?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's not a guaranteed spawn for you, just a chance. It still dramatically favors Europe. In my Korea game I was actually the only nation in the world with a colonial nation by the time the event hit (the Iberians had been lazy, I guess), and it still took me like 10 reloads for it to spawn at me instead of Iberia.

OTOH, it aside from the +5 center of trade thing (and pride), it makes barely any difference whether you even get it or not, I think. Colonialism instantly starts growing in every province in the world whose owners have exploration ideas. Worst case you'll probably be like 10 years behind the Euros. When I got the institution to spawn on me as Korea instead of in Europe, it'd take like 5 years to establish- when the Iberians got it, it took about 8.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 14, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Actually it doesn't spread if you have the exploration idea.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Hm, maybe it's that you need a colony then, or an entire colonial nation? In any case you don't need to actually worry about having it spawn on you, it makes practically no difference.

I guess that makes it a lot trickier if you're not in the Far East/ West Africa though, if you need to be able to actually make a colonial nation for it.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
The monthly tick for 'Adjacent province has <xyz institution>" seems broken. Three of my provinces border another one of my provinces where renaissance is present, but aren't getting the adjacency spread bonus.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

You don't need a colonial nation for it. I got it as Mali with only one province in South America. None of the Europeans had shown up yet, Portugal had been faffing about in Sierra Leone.I was pissed though since the birthplace event didn't fire.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
DLC has paid for itself already - I can kill off Bavaria's 1/0/1 heir right off the bat.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

So what should I be doing as a New World nation to try to get institutions? Do I have to wait for the Europeans or will something pop up if I focus on development?

e: developed stuff, it worked

Alikchi fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 14, 2016

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Bishop Rodan posted:

Sounds like you had it easier than I did, I actually had to abuse the bad AI in the Pyrenees with my mountain forts as Aragon. On a sidenote, mountain forts absolutely rule and I am not sure yet how I will win my second war against France since I lost that natural border.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
1.18 AE changes reverted in latest hotfix, rejoice.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sheep posted:

:toot:

Can we get AE retroactively lowered as compensation too? :v:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

what were the exact changes anyways? AE inside the HRE felt similar to normal but it felt like people who were of other religions got a much higher AE than they usually did. Such as austria and the entire HRE caring about what happened to anatolian minors when you were playing as otto, etc

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I hadn't had any coalitions form against me as Songhai, but that's pretty poor land and not much AE in general.

Coastal provinces are definitely much nicer now. I feel like landlocked nations are definitely going to have a rougher time keeping up with Institutions.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Goddamn, I had no idea that development would boost institutions like that. I have wasted a shitload of monarch points on mistimed development :v:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Found a bug which I'm just gonna report here in the hopes one of the goon devs sees it since the Paradox forums are awful and apparently I don't have permission to view the tech support forum even though I have a logged in account :psyduck:

The bug concerns the Great Power demand to break an alliance. I demanded Tlemcen break their alliance with the Ottomans, and they got two different truce timers - a shorter one with me and a longer one with the Ottomans. I'm assuming this is all working as intended so far. My truce with Tlemcen expired several months ago, but the one between Tlemcen and the Ottomans is still active. When I try to declare war I'm warned that I'll take a stab hit for trucebreaking.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Found a bug which I'm just gonna report here in the hopes one of the goon devs sees it since the Paradox forums are awful and apparently I don't have permission to view the tech support forum even though I have a logged in account :psyduck:

The bug concerns the Great Power demand to break an alliance. I demanded Tlemcen break their alliance with the Ottomans, and they got two different truce timers - a shorter one with me and a longer one with the Ottomans. I'm assuming this is all working as intended so far. My truce with Tlemcen expired several months ago, but the one between Tlemcen and the Ottomans is still active. When I try to declare war I'm warned that I'll take a stab hit for trucebreaking.
Yeah I just forced Hamburg to break their alliance with England and after the truce ran out I still couldn't declare without truce breaking. Their truce with England has run out and I still can't declare without the game warning me about the stab hit. According to their diplo screen they don't have any truces at all and I even tag switched to them to check and they can declare war on me just fine.

edit

Global Trade just spawned (western Sicily) and holy poo poo it doesn't kid around about the global part. It's rising in every single province I can see. From the new world to Africa to the Siberian steppe. :stare:

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 14, 2016

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

This may not be relevant if there is a bug, but you really shouldn't look at your target's diplo screen as that only tells you if they have a truce with you. Look at your own diplo screen to see if you have a truce with them, alternatively mouse over the truce alert tab thingie.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Drakhoran posted:

This may not be relevant if there is a bug, but you really shouldn't look at your target's diplo screen as that only tells you if they have a truce with you. Look at your own diplo screen to see if you have a truce with them, alternatively mouse over the truce alert tab thingie.

Thanks for pointing this out - I didn't realise truces were technically one-way deals. I do have a truce with Tlemcen on my Diplo screen, and it's longer than the one they have with the Ottos. Maybe this is working as intended but if so it's weird and counterintuitive as gently caress.

Oh well I'm on 0 stab anyway, let's do this

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Do gold provinces have a penalty to institution growth (other than being on bad terrain)? If not, seems like a no-brainer to pour your renaissance development there.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
There's a monthly chance that your gold mine will be depleted and you'll lose half the production development, so you shouldn't go crazy with it.

That being said I keep mine at around 10 tops which is a .6 chance monthly and I've never seen it happen across multiple games and mines so I'm not even sure if it works or if I've just been lucky.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Alikchi posted:

So what should I be doing as a New World nation to try to get institutions? Do I have to wait for the Europeans or will something pop up if I focus on development?

e: developed stuff, it worked

Were you able to embrace the institution? I'm pretty sure primitives can't do that, so you can't get renaissance until you reform.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Tendronai posted:

There's a monthly chance that your gold mine will be depleted and you'll lose half the production development, so you shouldn't go crazy with it.

That being said I keep mine at around 10 tops which is a .6 chance monthly and I've never seen it happen across multiple games and mines so I'm not even sure if it works or if I've just been lucky.

In a multiplayer game I got into a situation where I was screwed, so I just put all my development into a gold province and began funding other people's wars. It collapsed regularly when I'd build it up past 20.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I don't get the jokes about Kuba

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There's an amazing glitch I just saw where Crimea got (as far as I can tell) wiped out by Genoa, but instead of going gentle into that good night, entered a never ending tribal succession crisis of identical rulers with the exact same name. I'm currently up to Sahib LXIII Fazil and counting. He crowns himself again every single day.

e: words fail me.

skasion fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 14, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'd be more into it if the ruler Roman numeral parsing worked correctly through C-D-M.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

zedprime posted:

I'd be more into it if the ruler Roman numeral parsing worked correctly through C-D-M.

There's enough Paradox goons in this forum for me to register my disgust with this and hope that someone gets fired over this blunder.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Casus Belli: Shut the gently caress up

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Agean90 posted:

Casus Belli: Shut the gently caress up

Does Victoria 2 have an Ems Dispatch event?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm about to start a new game with Rights of Man, I last played a game just after Cossacks came out. I have every expansion under the sun. A few questions:

- is the "we have casus belli" mod updated for latest version? This is supremely important to my immersion.

- are estates still safely ignorable? Didn't really like them, but I like the diplomacy mechanics of Cossacks.

- I want to reform the Christian world and kick the Pope's rear end, but not necessarily starting in the HRE (actually I'd rather avoid it). What's the best way to achieve this in these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sheep posted:

New hotfix seems to have fixed just about every issue I've seen people complain about. Tip of the hat to the Paradox devs in the thread, that's some good support.

TorakFade posted:

- are estates still safely ignorable? Didn't really like them, but I like the diplomacy mechanics of Cossacks.

They are, but you probably shouldn't ignore them. Lots of good bonuses to be had there.

• Locked thread