Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
There's those Gunshow idents for [adult swim] if you want to count those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtsek8E0eNY

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Iirc Straub sold the rights to Candle Cove years ago and has nothing to do with it anymore.

Also a couple of Penny Arcade things got optioned for Hollywood films so it's not completely unheard of.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
We Bare Bears was based on a webcomic http://thethreebarebears.blogspot.com/

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

There's those Gunshow idents for [adult swim] if you want to count those.

I gotta say those just don't work for me. Video and comics are two different mediums and you cant just directly transpose one on the other and have it work.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

HorseRenoir posted:

We Bare Bears was based on a webcomic http://thethreebarebears.blogspot.com/

The last strip features baby bears and I can't not read it in Sam Lavagnino's voice.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Everybody Loves Raymond was originally conceived as a TV adaptation of Questionable Content

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Everybody Loves Raymond was originally conceived as a TV adaptation of Questionable Content

BRB rereading the entire run with Brad Garrett as Pervert Robot

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phy posted:

I haven't been keeping up with Broodhollow, so maybe it got discussed in that thread and I'm out of the loop, but... I just found out Syfy is doing a show based on Candle Cove, and I hope Kris Straub is making a fat stack of cash from it.

That's gotta be some kind of first, right? If not the first cable TV show based on a webcomic artist's work, because I vaguely remember some cartoon or other for LICD guy, then the first live-action show? And filmed in frickin Winnipeg.

There was an Axe Cop show.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Phy posted:

I haven't been keeping up with Broodhollow, so maybe it got discussed in that thread and I'm out of the loop, but... I just found out Syfy is doing a show based on Candle Cove, and I hope Kris Straub is making a fat stack of cash from it.

That's gotta be some kind of first, right? If not the first cable TV show based on a webcomic artist's work, because I vaguely remember some cartoon or other for LICD guy, then the first live-action show? And filmed in frickin Winnipeg.

does One Punch Man count

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Crocoswine posted:

does One Punch Man count

white comics only plz

(it should totally count but I'm not surprised if it doesn't immediately register with most english speaking people, given the original webcomic is only published on a Japanese blog and translations tend to go up on manga hosting sites whose main content is print comics)

e/ speaking of which, has that updated recently? Last thing I remember was the Tatsumaki fight ending.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 10, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Band vs Band :siren:ITS HAPPENING:siren:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Synthbuttrange posted:

loving FINALLY

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
I've been waiting literal years for this and it's perfect and warms my big gay heart.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

gnarlacious bro has no identifiable hobbies other than laconically insulting people and listening to terrible music, let him do his thing

Thanks man

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Synthbuttrange posted:

Well tie me to a powderkeg and call me a firecracker. Turns out they're gay.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gutter Owl posted:

Well tie me to a powderkeg and call me a firecracker. Turns out they're gay.

Holy shy is that whats happening?! :o

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Who could have ever gayssed it???

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Synthbuttrange posted:

Honey Hart's a big ol' lesbo, pass it on.

Pretty sure I was gay hollerin' so loud last night Katie Jacks could hear it all the way in Canada.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Women actually share makeup tips and seeds stored in the cheek pouches through mouth-to-mouth contact, so it's understandable to get confused here

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
titty

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Turns out Astral Aves didn't stop updating suddenly a couple of years back, it was just yet another comic whose bookmarking broke in Comic Rocket, so I actually had 200 more pages to read. Good lord, but webcomics badly need a standardised archiving format.

Anyway, Astral Aves is cool as hell and I may have to give it a re-read now that I have more of a handle on the lore, because it just drops you right in the middle of its world and expects you to keep up.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
My experience with Astral Aves is mostly that after the time skip it's just been really confusing and I have no idea what's happening anymore.

Davedog
Sep 11, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

And on Canadian Thanksgiving!

I am thankful for the big, dumb grin I have had on my face all day :canada:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay what comic is everyone talking about with the... gay Canadian bands?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

YggiDee posted:

Okay what comic is everyone talking about with the... gay Canadian bands?

Brand vs Band Comix http://bvbcomix.com/bandvsband/introducing

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

p much

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Pyroclastic posted:

Just learned about a comic called Zana, about an alternate future world where South African apartheid never ended and now white 'royals' run all of africa, mixed-race 'urbans' presumably live in cities, and dark 'tribals' live in what amount to rural ghettos. And the Royals are...unpleasant, in the two pages they've appeared. I'm reminded of Belgian Congo.
Only a few pages so far, and the art's really nice.

The authors have obviously done some research on South Africa, but loving hell, that map:

What's a Maghreb lol

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

I love how some people put those acronyms on their tinder profiles; as though they are anything more than a 50-ft flashing neon sign that reads "DON'T STICK YOUR DICK IN THE CRAZY".

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

In Monster Pulse news, dammit Bina, stop being a douche. Dammit, Abel, stop selling yourself sort to yourself all the drat time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Looks like Vattu can't tell the difference between dog people either.

I love the comic, but it seems like the story is just a wee bit beyond Evan Dahm's ability to properly express.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in gunnerkrigg news, it's :gibs: time

average reader reaction

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The current chapter is so good. After a few meandering chapters the main plot has returned with a vengeance.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Question RE: Demon.

I had stopped reading about the time that the army of demons was attacking the japanese-style castle; I figured I'd check in and see what I missed.

The news post makes me confused though... did Shiga remove it from his site?

quote:

It’s hard to describe what I’m feeling right now. Demon was my life for a very intense 2 year period and now it’s over. The comic has been taken down, the shigabooks store has been removed and I’m leaving for France in 10 days.

So he finished it and immediately nuked it? What the hell?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

khy posted:

Question RE: Demon.

I had stopped reading about the time that the army of demons was attacking the japanese-style castle; I figured I'd check in and see what I missed.

The news post makes me confused though... did Shiga remove it from his site?

So he finished it and immediately nuked it? What the hell?

There's a 1 chapter sample available on the site and he's working on print volumes. Plenty of other comic authors do the same thing.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

a few entries down from the latest one posted:

More on that in a sec. But first some business. If you’re wondering what will happen to this website, I’m planning to leave the entirety of Demon up for a couple more months. When the collected volumes start to come out from First Second, I’m removing everything but the first chapter. So if you want to read the webcomic one last time, do it before July. After that it’s gone, but only in webcomic form. If you want a permanent way to relive some highlights of Demon such as Jimmy being born or Sweetpea kidnapping a boy band and forcing them to perform at gunpoint, I have exciting news for you. You can now preorder Demon on amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Demon-1-Jason-Shiga/dp/1626724520)!!! I’ve been working on this book for a year and it’s a gorgeous 2-color printing. We set out to try and replicate the aesthetic of old 2 tone manga from the 30’s and it’s succeeded beyond my wildest dreams. As for shigabooks.com, I’m planning to keep the blog section of this site going. Even though there won’t be new pages of Demon, feel free to come back here for news about future projects, behind the scenes trivia about the making of Demon, cartooning advice and when I might be coming to a city near you!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
To anyone who didn't get the chance to read Jason Shiga's "Demon" - you missed absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
alternatively, you missed one of the strangest and irreverently absurdest comics that I've ever read. High/low-lights include, suicide by cum knife, adult on baby combat, furiously loving a camel, and practicing how to fight as a one-legged amputee.

• Locked thread