Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Man, I wish the exchange rate for the pound wasn't in the shitter or I'd get that in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Man, I wish the exchange rate for the pound wasn't in the shitter or I'd get that in a heartbeat.

Convert your savings to dollars right now. You'll thank me later.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 22: Casualties

Welp. Chitlin's bloodlust is finally sated.

Also before I forget, since we're on the path to the Crew here's a neat thing that showed up yesterday on the Darkest Dungeon twitter feed
https://blog.sketchfab.com/art-spot...darkest-dungeon

Highwang fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 14, 2016

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
RIP.
I'm sorry I asked for the Shambler. I had heard he was hard and thought, Highwang is good, it will be cool to see it done good.

I was wrong, not about you being good. But the Shambler is terrible.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so here's a trick to the Shambler: if you flee from the battle, you flee to the last room you visited. So what you do is you get to the shambler's altar, go past it to the next room, then double back. This way if the battle goes terribly, you can flee, camp and still continue the dungeon (although tbh I don't think there are many shambler fights that don't end with all members afflicted/heroic).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jenner posted:

RIP.
I'm sorry I asked for the Shambler. I had heard he was hard and thought, Highwang is good, it will be cool to see it done good.

I was wrong, not about you being good. But the Shambler is terrible.

He basically played as poorly as I did when I first fought the Shambler (i.e. focusing on the Shambler and not taking care of his little buddies). Especially shameful since he had a pretty okay team for it; Leper if not forced to the back is great for taking out the adds with Hew (which Wang also did not have equipped...) and Houndmaster is great for bleeding everyone.

double nine posted:

so here's a trick to the Shambler: if you flee from the battle, you flee to the last room you visited. So what you do is you get to the shambler's altar, go past it to the next room, then double back. This way if the battle goes terribly, you can flee, camp and still continue the dungeon (although tbh I don't think there are many shambler fights that don't end with all members afflicted/heroic).

I always wait to fight the Shambler until I've already completed the quest. That way if things go poorly you can just flee and then complete the mission and not really be set back other than having to stress heal your party.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Genocyber posted:

He basically played as poorly as I did when I first fought the Shambler (i.e. focusing on the Shambler and not taking care of his little buddies). Especially shameful since he had a pretty okay team for it; Leper if not forced to the back is great for taking out the adds with Hew (which Wang also did not have equipped...) and Houndmaster is great for bleeding everyone.

I always wait to fight the Shambler until I've already completed the quest. That way if things go poorly you can just flee and then complete the mission and not really be set back other than having to stress heal your party.

If you can blitz the Shambler down before the adds get too powerful it isn't a terrible idea to take him out first, but usually you want to wreck those tentacles ASAP. A marking team can do it if their order isn't wrecked by the surprise.

I would've been on your side 100% if you walked by that Shambler Alter, Wang. You're just now getting into the Veteran difficulty with your crew, so your weapons, skills and trinkets are not as high as they could be to deal with that monster. If the RNG had been a little more in your favor you could've pulled it out, but that first round completely ruined your line up and you were playing catch up from there.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 14, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Yay for peer pressure! :neckbeard:

I mean, um, what a bummer.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Krumbsthumbs posted:

If you can blitz the Shambler down before the adds get too powerful it isn't a terrible idea to take him out first, but usually you want to wreck those tentacles ASAP. A marking team can do it if their order isn't wrecked by the surprise.

I've never found that to work out well. Because as Highwang mentioned in the video, the real threat are the sycophants and not the Shambler itself. Any time I've blitzed down the Shambler I ended up with two buffed up as hell sycophants that take forever to wear down.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Genocyber posted:

I've never found that to work out well. Because as Highwang mentioned in the video, the real threat are the sycophants and not the Shambler itself. Any time I've blitzed down the Shambler I ended up with two buffed up as hell sycophants that take forever to wear down.

Fair point. It works on the lower difficulties, but uh, don't do this in Champion tier dungeons. You'll get destroyed. Also your order needs to barely be touched for most marking parties, so in theory it can work but in practice things might go poorly.

Actually, I'd recommend not fighting the Shambler at all in Champion Tier. The HP and damage gains are substantial.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Question, do the shambler and its two rastafarian buddies change stats (hp, defenses, ...) between beginner/experienced/veteran dungeons or are they fixed. Meaning is it going to be easier, relatively speaking, to defeat a shambler with veteran units or does the game adjust the difficulty accordingly?

edit: beaten like Lucien in a dark damp cave

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

double nine posted:

Question, do the shambler and its two rastafarian buddies change stats (hp, defenses, ...) between beginner/experienced/veteran dungeons or are they fixed. Meaning is it going to be easier, relatively speaking, to defeat a shambler with veteran units or does the game adjust the difficulty accordingly?

edit: beaten like Lucien in a dark damp cavethe dark void of space

More accurate.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

He didn't seem to have a very good team for The Shambler either. The babies add Prot and Dodge on their buffs, so it would be an uphill battle for a Leper either way. Yes, you could mark them with the Houndmaster but that could very quickly go downhill if you aren't careful about your action economy. Having the Occultist have a more offensive build may have helped, since Shambles and his babies count as Elditch. That said, I haven't fought this guy myself yet, so who knows.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So what do the virtues and whatnot actually do? Don't think they've been gone over properly yet.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I spent so much of that fight yelling 'JUST HIT IT, WANG' at the screen. Seriously, trying to tread water in a fight that dangerous is a straight shot to losing heroes.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The shambler uses a party-wide attack every turn, so the trick to absolutely clowning on it is ripostes. Kill the spores with your Duelist's Advances and whanot, and watch the shambler kill itself on your ripostes.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

So what do the virtues and whatnot actually do? Don't think they've been gone over properly yet.

Each one's a little different, but they all involve some stat changes, and bad ones almost all involve the character refusing certain orders, or doing dumb things of their own accord -- fearful guys will move towards the back or skip turns, and masochistic ones will refuse to be healed. In addition, they'll say stuff that causes stress to other characters (or stress heals, for Virtue).

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

different set of buffs or debuffs, and beneficial/harmful actions.

Focused boosts crit and accuracy. Also, every time the unit has a turn, it may randomly buff one party member with extra crit and accuracy as well.
Powerful boosts damage, and it has a chance for a full party damage boost every turn.
Courageous boosts all resistances, decreases stress damage taken(kinda pointless if you're already virtuous) and heals the stress of the entire party every turn.
Stalwart grants massive stress resistance and stress reduction every turn. Kinda pointless though.
Vigorous boosts speed, and makes the virtuous character heal and stress heal every turn.

Afflictions make your characters act like assholes, ignore orders and stress everyone out depending on certain actions.
Paranoid is probably the worst. The character will sometimes refuse heals, refuse to eat food while camping, refuse to retreat, refuse to switch places with another hero, refuse to be buffed, to use items, deal stress damage to self and an ally when that ally crits, dodges, kills an enemy, pretty much anything.

Selfish is interesting, it gives the character a temporary Kleptomaniac trait, so the afflicted hero will sometimes steal items for himself. He will do offensive actions ignoring your commands during fights, pass the turn, or move around. He'll also generally be an rear end in a top hat and stress people out during exploration.

(just realized explaining all afflictions would take a long rear end time)

The other afflictions are Irrational, Fearful, Hopeless, Abusive and Masochistic. All of them have a different set of context-sensistive stress damage and command negation. Abusive is probably the second worst, Paranoid being the worst.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Episode 22: Wang starves his dog and makes other bad decisions.

Lucien: She came filled with hope.
She was the latest to fall to darkness...and incompetence.

(or foolishness instead of incompetence)

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 15, 2016

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
My first party wipe was to a Shambler. Neither did I know that using a torch on the Shambler altar would summon a boss fight nor did I know it'd be so brutal.
Four good heroes lost their lives that day because I was unable to run, rip.

I will get revenge one day.

I'm still on my first playthrough and I recently began naming my heroes after people in a Discord server I'm hanging out in and I let them know every time I set out on a mission and I always make them believe they died until I upload a raw recording of the quest and let them see how they did for themselves.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I think your focus on rearranging party order (beyond simply getting the Leper into strike range/Vestal into group heal range, I mean) instead of move economy and getting the hits and stuns where you could is what did you in. drat lucky with the Virtues too. Having Virtuous that early in the dungeon could have carried your team's stress the rest of the way.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Highwang posted:

New Update - Episode 22: Casualties

Welp. Chitlin's bloodlust is finally sated.

Also before I forget, since we're on the path to the Crew here's a neat thing that showed up yesterday on the Darkest Dungeon twitter feed
https://blog.sketchfab.com/art-spot...darkest-dungeon

drat I want a 3D printed statue of his work

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Lucien: Innocent, healer, succumbed to the darkness that is internet peer pressure.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Neverwhere lies Lucien; t'was a shambler his poo poo did Pucien

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

And finally Wang's heal-lust gets his guys killed.

E: Like, it's really appropriate the Vestal died for that, if anyone did.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 15, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
My first encounter with the Shambler was pulling 3 Antiquarians from the Town Event/Stagecoach and sending them with my leper on a merry moonlit adventure to get me tons of money.

I didn't lose my Leper. The antiquarians however...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

EponymousMrYar posted:

My first encounter with the Shambler was pulling 3 Antiquarians from the Town Event/Stagecoach and sending them with my leper on a merry moonlit adventure to get me tons of money.

I didn't lose my Leper. The antiquarians however...

My first encounter was discovering you don't have to gently caress with the Shrine to run into him.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Night10194 posted:

And finally Wang's heal-lust gets his guys killed.

For all his talk of 'action economy' he sure likes to waste it trying to get back 4 hp on his victims party members.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
How do heart attacks work?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Jenner posted:

How do heart attacks work?

200 stress = heart attack, putting the poor victim into instant death's door, and relieving 50 stress.
200 stress at death's door = death.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The best part about heart attacks is they can chain. Seeing a buddy go to death's door inflicts a lot of stress on a party member, so if guy 1 gets a heart attack, he drops to 150 stress and death's door. This inflicts stress on guys 2-4, and that stress can cause one of them to heart attack, which causes another guy to heart attack etc etc. It's like sympathetic vomiting.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cassa posted:

For all his talk of 'action economy' he sure likes to waste it trying to get back 4 hp on his victims party members.

The thing to remember with healing is that preventing an attack that does 10 damage is a better use of an action than healing 6.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Here lies Lucien.

She never scored.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

So I've looked at the rewards for killing Shambles and without spoiling anything, are they actually worth it? Cause they look kinda meh all things considered.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
Pinhead would have been proud of Lucien's end.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ouch.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
Well, because I am both a: a massive nerd, and b: really enjoy any opportunity to put my MA in Classics to good use, I made three different epitaphs for Lucien. None of them rhyme, because I am terrible at poetry. I did at least try to get that sort of Odyssey/Iliad kind of vibe for their passing. I, at least, resisted the urge to try and get this poo poo to fit into a hexameter, since then I'd have to get my Greek dictionary out.

Fair-cheeked Eos weeps bitter droplets
At the passing of Lucien
The dawn shall be slow-trekked forevermore

Rosy-fingered Eos draws down the curtain
for she whose world has ended
Where once was a blazing star
is now only embers

Rosy-fingered Eos welcomes warmly
One whose day has ended
Lucien, the once bright star.

I mostly tried to work in the light aspect in both Lucien's name and I'm a bit miffed I couldn't work in something about the Shambler's attack in there. :/ If more people die, maybe I'll make more of these, who knows.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

You hosed up

The episode

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Rest in Peace Lucien, overconfidence was neither slow nor insidious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
RIP Lucien; your name means light, so it is fitting that it was snuffed in the only guaranteed darkness fight of a game about fighting in the darkness. (And yeah, you should have been stunning way more.)

But kudos to Highwang for making the brave attempt! Keep at it! Leave no alter of darkness torchless! At least until you've actually defeated the thing. Maybe we'll let you off the hook then.

Disclaimer: I often made vain and potentially unprepared and dangerous attempts at the Shambler's life, myself, in an attempt to grind up the reward. If I could do it, so can Highwang! :colbert:

Arcade Rabbit posted:

So I've looked at the rewards for killing Shambles and without spoiling anything, are they actually worth it? Cause they look kinda meh all things considered.

Without spoilers: Yes and no. I do not consider them worth the effort to grind (gave that up, because I wanted to finish the drat game), but they can be useful.

Mzbundifund posted:

The best part about heart attacks is they can chain. Seeing a buddy go to death's door inflicts a lot of stress on a party member, so if guy 1 gets a heart attack, he drops to 150 stress and death's door. This inflicts stress on guys 2-4, and that stress can cause one of them to heart attack, which causes another guy to heart attack etc etc. It's like sympathetic vomiting.

A less wise man posted:

Having recently re-started playing the Darkest Dungeon after a hiatus, I ran a low-level party consisting of a vestal, a tomb robber, a crusader and a hellion through to the Apprentice Necromancer in the Ruins. The necromancer, unfortunately, was in the very depths of the dungeon, so morale had become a problem, stress mounting, with the tomb robber succumbing first and becoming abusive (and annoyingly vocal) prior to the final battle. In the middle of said battle, her comments drove first the vestal and then the hellion irrational and selfish respectively. Realizing for the first time the danger of a stress cascade, I start recklessly throwing myself at the necromancer with all I have, ignoring healing the loss of health, figuring death will be swift anyway if I don’t end the fight as soon as possible. The crusader falls to affliction last, after a wave of gibbering sweeps the party, and becomes abusive as well, no doubt in thanks to the rest’s loutish and lousy behavior. The hellion and tomb robber hits Death’s Door, but thankfully neither succumbs to follow-up blows.

Everyone but the crusader is by now high in the 180s or 190s of stress, but the necromancer is gratifyingly close to dying. A few lucky crits have paved the road, and only one final turn of sweep-up is required for me to finish the reckless gamble this run has turned out to become. I bite my nails at every action, knowing that one comment out of turn could make my precious characters keel over and die from stress.

Luck, however, is with me. The necromancer is critted into oblivion and only a single wounded skeleton remains. The fight is over in all but name. I have my crusader finish it off.

His final comment of the fight is on how everyone else was being bloody useless.

The vestal twitches and falls over in response. The hellion grows apoplectic with rage and then clutches her chest and goes down. The tomb robber teeters on the brink of the brink, a single point of stress between her and permanent final death. She titters nervously and the fight finally, finally ends, with the crusader having the last laugh for all of the crap the rest of the team heaped at him for that entire fight.

Meanwhile, I scream myself raw. In truth, three, not two, hearts were broken that fight; the vestal’s, the hellion’s and my own.

I cannot repost this story often enough. It's one of the most pivotal moments of my Darkest Dungeon Experience (TM), where I learned about an important facet/danger of the game and had a STUPIDLY SPECIFIC chain of events come about that turned an already-win into a tragic, unexpected loss right as I had begun to relax and celebrate my scraping by. Emphasis needed: every enemy on the screen was dead when two of my adventurers keeled over due to one final bit of (well-deserved) hurled abuse, and a third -just- missed following suit. If that doesn't deserve to be in my mental hall of fame, I don't know what does.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 15, 2016

• Locked thread