Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Anya posted:

The seats didn't bother me but the violent stop start movement? Almost hurled.

I've heard this about mummy at universal from several women that it smashed their boobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Old Man Pants posted:

I've heard this about mummy at universal from several women that it smashed their boobs

the break zones on that ride are pretty intense. there is a part that is a fake-ending, designed to look like a ride station before the mummy kills the attendant and sends you on the rest of the ride, and every time it's like "loving OW" when the ride stops.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Awwww I heard there were good surprises in that ride.

This may be the first time I've ever wanted a spoiler tag outside of tv/iv and cined.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

You'll still be plenty surprised, it's probably my favorite ride that isn't Indiana Jones or Harry Potter related.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like this is why the Star Wars fireworks are stopping. Changing it over to a Christmas show since Osborne is gone. Actually kinda pumped to see this.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...y-world-resort/

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Damnit I leave the 10th! That sounds awesome.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chili posted:

Awwww I heard there were good surprises in that ride.

This may be the first time I've ever wanted a spoiler tag outside of tv/iv and cined.

It's not that convincing of a fake end so don't worry

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Sigh that HS firework show looks great. So now I need to rethink my plans. Cause before I was gonna bail on HS earlier to go to Epcot... but now.

So much to see, so little time

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Crap! American Airlines changed my flights, so instead of arriving at 11AM I arrive at 1PM with a 30 minute connection in CLT. There's little chance of making that connection, and arriving at 1 kind of ruins the day from a park perspective (need to pick up packet from WWoS, dinner at California Grill at 6PM so had planned to hang out at MK).

Any suggestions?

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Omne posted:

Crap! American Airlines changed my flights, so instead of arriving at 11AM I arrive at 1PM with a 30 minute connection in CLT. There's little chance of making that connection, and arriving at 1 kind of ruins the day from a park perspective (need to pick up packet from WWoS, dinner at California Grill at 6PM so had planned to hang out at MK).

Any suggestions?

Do DHS or DAK that day. You can do DHS in half a day with fast passes plus you'll see the fireworks and fantasmic. Or take it easy and do Disney Springs/relax at the resort.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Omne posted:

Call AA and see if they'll rebook you. If they won't, hang up and call again. 30m is technically within minimum connection time but cutting it really close.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

For anyone who hasn't been to Universal recently, they've totally revamped their security for the park. They used to have a simple bag check at the rotunda before CityWalk and then HHN added metal detectors and a second bag check at the archway (with CSC Security as their completely awful and poorly trained contract security company). They've switched to a permanent setup of metal detectors and X-ray machines in the rotunda with no bag check at the park entrance itself for HHN. It seems overbearing, but it actually goes very quickly and smoothly: you put your bags and/or pocket contents in the bucket, they send it through the X-ray machine as you walk through the metal detector, and (assuming you didn't set it off and get an extra pat-down) you just pick up your stuff on the other side. HHN used to take as much as 5 minutes to get through the second security check alone, but now it can be nearly instantaneous on a slow day.

It's a lot better than Disney's "random checks", where security guards have privately admitted to using criteria like "Bring in everyone wearing a red shirt" or "Grab the first person you see when you get to a certain spot and let everyone else through" to determine who gets selected.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

chitoryu12 posted:

It's a lot better than Disney's "random checks", where security guards have privately admitted to using criteria like "Bring in everyone wearing a red shirt" or "Grab the first person you see when you get to a certain spot and let everyone else through" to determine who gets selected.

Not to get super heavy into security policy in the Disney thread, but these seem like decent methods of random selection if they're actively trying to avoid accusations of bias? They're easily cased, but if they switch up regularly I don't see an intrinsic problem.

The bag checks were annoying, though. I'd rather just toss my stuff through a metal detector. I know intellectually that they didn't slow entry (there was also a line at the tapstiles) but I found waiting for a bag check just "feels" worse than waiting to get the green Mickey.

Also, I edited in the bit about 7DMT into my write up. I can't believe I forgot about it!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Boxman posted:

Not to get super heavy into security policy in the Disney thread, but these seem like decent methods of random selection if they're actively trying to avoid accusations of bias? They're easily cased, but if they switch up regularly I don't see an intrinsic problem.

The bag checks were annoying, though. I'd rather just toss my stuff through a metal detector. I know intellectually that they didn't slow entry (there was also a line at the tapstiles) but I found waiting for a bag check just "feels" worse than waiting to get the green Mickey.

Also, I edited in the bit about 7DMT into my write up. I can't believe I forgot about it!

The issue with the random checks is that it's a really bad security policy for actually finding anything hidden. By only subjecting a fraction of the people who enter to metal detector searches, you create a hole in your security big enough to drive a truck through. Anyone could be carrying a gun or knife and as long as they're not the ones who get selected they can go into the park without an issue. And of course, metal detectors won't detect things like drugs or non-metallic weapons like the Autoclear X-ray machines used at Universal. It's very clearly a method designed to make people think that security has been stepped up without actually reliably stopping contraband from entering.

Universal's method is much better because it not only incorporates a metal detector search for every guest (so you can't bring metallic weapons through based on luck of the draw or slipping past when a guard's not looking), the X-ray machines allow a more comprehensive bag search to occur simultaneously. Combined with properly trained security personnel, it greatly speeds up the security check and makes for a better check in general.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just got off the Frozen ride, and while I thought the animatronic work was outstanding, it's kinda lame otherwise. Then again, I'm definitely not the target audience.

My sister, on the other hand, is livid that they replaced all of the Norwegian stuff with Frozen. She kept asking "what do you learn about Norway from that ride? Nothing!" Naturally this segued into assigning each country a ride. You can actually do it pretty well if you stretch the Japan one a little bit and give it Big Hero 6. Or go full anime and make a Ghibli based thing.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Empress Brosephine posted:

It's not that convincing of a fake end so don't worry

I mean for a ride that isn't new anymore the effect is really slick. I'm sort of annoyed I looked at a POV before going on it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yoshifan823 posted:

Just got off the Frozen ride, and while I thought the animatronic work was outstanding, it's kinda lame otherwise. Then again, I'm definitely not the target audience.

My sister, on the other hand, is livid that they replaced all of the Norwegian stuff with Frozen. She kept asking "what do you learn about Norway from that ride? Nothing!" Naturally this segued into assigning each country a ride. You can actually do it pretty well if you stretch the Japan one a little bit and give it Big Hero 6. Or go full anime and make a Ghibli based thing.

The sad part is that you can make a ride educational and incorporate famous characters. The boat ride in Mexico didn't really suffer when it got updated to the Three Caballeros because most of the ride work was put into updating the film footage to better show off modern Mexican culture and vacation attractions. I'm not sure how a retheming of Maelstrom could have kept Norwegian culture and Frozen at the same time, which is probably a sign that it wasn't the best decision in the first place.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did any of you pick up the new Enchanted Tiki Room comic book or the new line of figment comics or am i the only retarded person here

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I liked the Figment comics but they're the only Disney Kingdoms books I've read.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Can I add DME online or do I have to call it in?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

If you give me your flight info, I can set it up for you.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyone got experience in crash dieting before a trip :qq: I gained 20 lbs since I last went

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Do sprints from one end of a park to the other from rope drop to 10am. That should sweat the extra off.

then eat all the dole whips

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
On a more serious note: I'm looking for new things to do/accomplish at the parks next month. It's my third trip, so I've ridden almost all of the rides, but I want to experience more of the world. Current plans for new things are:
Flights of Wonder
Nemo
Lion King
Christmas Party (on opening night)
Spice Road
BOYZ II MEN:allears:

Any other good ideas?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm making sure I do all of the shows; I really liked the shows when I saw them at Busch Gardens but never did any of the Disney ones, so i'm looking forward to them.

Also perhaps resort hopping but not sure, seems like more of a pain in the rear end than anything. When are you going down?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

anyone got experience in crash dieting before a trip :qq: I gained 20 lbs since I last went

Low carb, man. I've lost almost 30 lbs that way since my last trip.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Can't quite pin down when the Star Wars fireworks will end at HS and the Holiday stuff will start- anyone have the answer?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483424

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Leelee posted:

Can't quite pin down when the Star Wars fireworks will end at HS and the Holiday stuff will start- anyone have the answer?

They just added a few more shows of Star Wars through Nov 12th. It switches to the Christmas show on Nov 14th.

http://www.chipandco.com/star-wars-galactic-spectacular-extended-november-12th-250960/

I feel like Star Wars will probably resume after the holidays.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Anya posted:

On a more serious note: I'm looking for new things to do/accomplish at the parks next month. It's my third trip, so I've ridden almost all of the rides, but I want to experience more of the world. Current plans for new things are:
Flights of Wonder
Nemo
Lion King
Spice Road

Any other good ideas?

These days me and my wife basically just take it easy and drink everywhere. If you haven't seen any of the deluxe resorts, I recommend taking bus/monorail over to them and check them out as they are incredibly nice and some of the theming just blows me away (wilderness Lodge is the best).

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
4 more days! :nyan:

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Resort hopping the EPCOT deluxes for sure. Saw monorails last time but the boat to WL is a good idea.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Anya posted:

Resort hopping the EPCOT deluxes for sure. Saw monorails last time but the boat to WL is a good idea.
If you're at Epcot's World Showcase, you can walk to any of the Epcot hotels in about five minutes. It's actually closer than walking back to the front of the park. Definitely worth the time to check out all the cool stuff around the Boardwalk.

I know it's not exclusive to Disney, but my wife and I spent a couple of evenings at Jellyrolls Piano Bar and had a blast.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Boardwalk access also includes Swan & Dolphin and Yacht & Beach Clubs, which have their own neat restaurants and bars and such.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Beaches and Cream (cafe/ice cream shop/soda fountain) at Beach Club is awesome. It's usually packed at meal times, but they do have a take-out counter, and there are a million places to sit and eat around the area.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Anya posted:

Flights of Wonder
Nemo
Lion King
Spice Road

Any other good ideas?

Flights of Wonder is a favorite of mine as well (duh), but it was being refurbished last time we were there. Was it just a structural refurb or did they change the show at all? (I wouldn't be too sad about that; it really needed an update.)

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
I'm going to be in Orlando next week with my three year old son. We'll be at Disney World for three days, and I'm looking for activities to fill the last two days of the week.

So what not-Disney World things can I do with a three year old in the Orlando area?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

There's a mall that has a really giant Crayola store where there are activities and stuff. Also a Lego Store.

Those are novelties to me as we don't have them where I live.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I LOVE the international gateway! I thought it was so cool that all of those resorts were right in walking distance between EP/HS. Took the boat to HS, but I need to do some exploring that way along the boardwalk and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I asked this before but I think I might try converting my tickets to a annual pass when I go to visit this December; can I simply upgrade my tickets to a annual pass or do they not do that?