Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice

Blazing Zero posted:

man. women just ruin every video game guild, jfc. we all know where they should be, right bois

yes we do - president!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

tickets to the gunt show posted:

bulgogi is so loving good I could choke to death on it and be completely fine with that.

^ knows what's up

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

Koreans often keep a second fridge just for kimchi because the smell will literally contaminate the taste/smell of other foods :v:

mods please namechange me to Kimchi Fridge

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
thanks vagrant but I already knew that about me.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
:colbert: i edited my post because you have no clue what's up

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

luminalflux posted:

mods please namechange me to Kimchi Fridge

my aunt kept all the soda in the kimchi fridge in an attempt to close down my sugar consumption through inaccessibility.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
kimchi is pretty goddamned good, but I'd like to know how it came about. Someone just happened to bury a bunch of spicy cabbage in a clay pot for a couple days, dig it up, smell it, and still decided it was OK to eat?

same x1000 with fish sauce

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Daco Vato posted:

yes we do - president!

inshallah

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhymenoserous posted:

Koreans often keep a second fridge just for kimchi because the smell will literally contaminate the taste/smell of other foods :v:

Also I firmly believe korea should be known for bulgogi not kimchi.

Haejangguk is probably the best dish I've had so far. There's 24hr place nearby that makes a killer haejangguk for like $5.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

kimchi is pretty goddamned good, but I'd like to know how it came about. Someone just happened to bury a bunch of spicy cabbage in a clay pot for a couple days, dig it up, smell it, and still decided it was OK to eat?

same x1000 with fish sauce

burying stuff in pots is an ancient form of preserving food. its colder underground, friend

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Blazing Zero posted:

burying stuff in pots is an ancient form of preserving food. its colder underground, friend

loading it down with capsaicin is also a preservative method. Basically that's what it boils down to. Just like no one buries fish in lye because it tastes good etc etc.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhymenoserous posted:

my aunt kept all the soda in the kimchi fridge in an attempt to close down my sugar consumption through inaccessibility.

They have rooms at offices called "Kimchi rooms" because you go there to eat your lunch so as not to stink up the office with your kimchi.

Korea also developed an International Space Station friendly kimchi for their first astronaut deployed there.

They loving love that poo poo.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/22/world/asia/22iht-kimchi.1.10302283.html

Edit - Also they have a few semi-functional model Turtle Ships that I want to go check out. They're pretty cool in terms of design.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

alienhunter3 posted:

So I'm kind of an EVE noob I guess, but what is this Darius guy's deal? Why does anyone care what he thinks??

DJ is like the George Washington of Evegoondom. He would come around every few years and put out the fire, smack people around and call them idiots and then lead them to the promised land.

Turned out a bit different this time.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

luminalflux posted:

wasn't myrt also involved in this?

myrt was the roommate of the girl i think, i dont actually know how the gently caress tf got involved

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

loading it down with capsaicin is also a preservative method. Basically that's what it boils down to. Just like no one buries fish in lye because it tastes good etc etc.

the fish in lye thing ive seen videos about and i still dont understand it. could just bury that, too. lye though? :chloe:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Zephyrine posted:

DJ is like the George Washington of Evegoondom. He would come around every few years and put out the fire, smack people around and call them idiots and then lead them to the promised land.

Turned out a bit different this time.

no, you're wrong

DJ was CEO after some other guys, and he'd been a director in GS for a while

he handed things off to karttoon when he had a family, and then karttoon blew everything up, so DJ came back for about 5 months to pick up the pieces

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Blazing Zero posted:

the fish in lye thing ive seen videos about and i still dont understand it. could just bury that, too. lye though? :chloe:

Because the lye still works after the fish is dried into planks (preserved and much lighter for transport). It won't start rotting just because the humidity went up a bit or it was stained with some water.

Landsknecht posted:

no, you're wrong

he handed things off to karttoon when he had a family, and then karttoon blew everything up, so DJ came back for about 5 months to pick up the pieces

Okay fine Evegoon Andrew Jackson then.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

alienhunter3 posted:

So I'm kind of an EVE noob I guess, but what is this Darius guy's deal? Why does anyone care what he thinks??

Used to be space important, tried to be again but failed. I'm not sure there's anyone that really cares what he thinks

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

Because the lye still works after the fish is dried into planks (preserved and much lighter for transport). It won't start rotting just because the humidity went up a bit or it was stained with some water.

ahh. so is it just too humid there for salt to be effective?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Since we're on food chat, fifteen minute spicy pasta in a low class idiots cream sauce

1. Package of andouille sausage
2. Package of penne pasta
3. Two bell peppers
4. Mushroom of choice/onions/whatever who cares I used porta bella mushrooms
5. 3/4 to a cup of heavy cream
6. 1/2 cup of white wine
7. Quarter stick of butter
8. fresh parmesan or just that poo poo you stole from the pizza hut table whatever.

Spices/oils:
Olive oil
Fresh crushed garlic, red pepper, salt, oregano and mustard powder.

Prep: slice the bell pepper into thin strips, crush the garlic, and slice the sausage into quarter inch thick coins.

boil pasta and brown the andouille sausage coins, once the sausage is done set aside, keep some of the fat in the pan and add two tablespoons of olive oil or just eyeball that poo poo like everyone does.

once brought back up to heat add veggies, garlic, and butter stirring regularly to avoid burning anything, once the veggies are most of the way done deglaze the whole thing with the white wine.

Once the wine is on the thing, bring up the heat and add the cream, bring to a boil (getting rid of the alcohol) then quickly reduce heat and allow to reduce a bit. Add in salt, red pepper, oregano and mustard powder (half teaspoon for mustardpowder/red pepper, to taste for the rest) Once reduced throw all the other poo poo back into the pan and toss it.

Put some parmesan on it and eat it.

And yes I know how to make a bechamel and a thickened cream sauce, I don't like super thick cream sauces, and this basically gave a "Cream sauce and wine" flavor to the pasta w/o drowning it in it. All in all it turned out well considering I actually went into the thing with no plans.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 14, 2016

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Blazing Zero posted:

ahh. so is it just too humid there for salt to be effective?

Salt is fine as long as you keep it in salt but lutefisk was stored and transported like this:

Also I'm on the 5-2 diet and tomorrow is a 2 day so food chat is suspended for another 36 hours or so.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Blazing Zero posted:

this reminds me, while we were in Iceland we went to a farm where they made fermented shark (hákkarl). Smelled straight up like ammonia, wife said it tasted like cheesy fish. Yummy.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

rhymeno's recipe is good and protip for goons: save all those red pepper flake packets from papa johns for this. the garlic sauce cups, too

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Blazing Zero posted:

rhymeno's recipe is good and protip for goons: save all those red pepper flake packets from papa johns for this. the garlic sauce cups, too

yeah you can just drink the garlic butter cups when you are feeling blue

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Food chat stops right now. Tomorrow I have 5 things to live on

Coffee
mackerel sandwiches

Each has 100 calories and the bar is 500 so I have to make a combination of the two to survive through the day.

Most likely I will do 5 x coffee since it's a Saturday anyway.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

i just loaded up my sous vide oven with ribs. come at me b ro

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
What do you take in your coffee to make it 100 calories jesus

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
BRB getting my copy of The Galloping Gourmet cookbook, heavy on clarified butter and cream.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Landsknecht posted:

no, you're wrong

remedial->hoegaarden->remedial->mittani ->sesfan->darius ->zapa ->karttoon - > ohgodeverything is bad->darius->mittani

i think

also i forget where nate hammertown fell in there for the day he was ceo

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
i made panko crust chicken parm last week it was good but i fried it a bit too long so it got a little too greasy rip

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Zephyrine posted:

Okay fine Evegoon Andrew Jackson then.

gently caress you - Jackson was an amazing president. That man fought 103 duels - largely in defense of his whore wife.

Then he hid literally 400lbs of cheese in the white house in an effort to gently caress with Van Buren, when he took office.

Avoid our history - it's more hilarious and impressive than you think.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

tickets to the gunt show posted:

gently caress you - Jackson was an interesting, but also bad president.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER
Maybe amazing was the wrong word there.

Jackon was an otherwise entertaining president who murdered a lot of people and earned the appropriate moniker Sharp Knife.

But he never hosed goons.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

working mom posted:

What do you take in your coffee to make it 100 calories jesus

Milk.

And Jesus Christ this food chat. Sunday morning I'm just going to down a gazelle with my bare hands and eat it it raw because I'll have no time prepare anything after a day of this.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

Haejangguk is probably the best dish I've had so far. There's 24hr place nearby that makes a killer haejangguk for like $5.

who is your favorite kpop group

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
100 calorie coffee, that's like a cup of milk in a cup of coffee or a weak bulletproof coffee. Drink your coffee black folks.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
since it's autumn here in north america I have a lot of squash, thinking of taking some time this weekend to make some pasta with it

anyone have recommendations on either a gnocchi or ravioli made from acorn or butternut squash? really just looking for something nice and nutty to enjoy the harvest flavours; will probably mix it with some peccorino and maybe seasonal mushrooms if those are still around or w/e

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

gwrtheyrn posted:

100 calorie coffee, that's like a cup of milk in a cup of coffee or a weak bulletproof coffee. Drink your coffee black folks.

Black coffee is too strong for me (I went back) But you underestimate my coffee cup. It holds 0.6 litres.

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
Yeah coffee is not the reason I'm fat. I drink seemingly gallons of it a day but since I only drink it black it's good for me :sun:

Tea is always unsweetened as well. Alas I am still a fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Zephyrine posted:

Black coffee is too strong for me (I went back) But you underestimate my coffee cup. It holds 0.6 litres.

That's still something like 30-40% milk. Black coffee on its own has like no calories

• Locked thread