Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

roymorrison posted:

hey you guys wanna go kayaking today? NAH GOTTA GYM BRO

*rows for several hours*

sorry brah, i need a more intense cardio sesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

proof of concept posted:

concept2 rowers are one of the best pieces of equipment in the whole gym but after about 2 minutes on one of them I always start second guessing my form like yeah I'm getting a workout but am I really doing this right? Like at all? Am I scrunching over too much? Am I driving enough with my legs or am I relying too much on my arms/back? Why did I get on this machine I hope I'm not making a fool of myself

You can program intervals on it

1000m with 2 min rests are great

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Two weeks later and 4kcal is still not enough, weighing in 1lb less than when I started. Lifts still good. Upping my salami but cautious of the sodium, would prefer not to drink my calories, either. Every poo poo has nuts in it.

Maybe 4,500 calories will make this a maintenance period.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe wait another two weeks before increasing your monstrous daily intake.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Knight posted:

Two weeks later and 4kcal is still not enough, weighing in 1lb less than when I started. Lifts still good. Upping my salami but cautious of the sodium, would prefer not to drink my calories, either. Every poo poo has nuts in it.

Maybe 4,500 calories will make this a maintenance period.

Are you a super saiyan

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
No, but I play one on the internet

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's easy to go through a fuckton of calories for some people. I was training for DH mountainbike competition plus worked 50 hours a week doing restaurant supply delivery (heavy deadlifting of boxes and running stacks of boxes on a dolly up and down stairs and ramps). I went from being in pretty good shape at 190lbs down to 175 pounds. Felt awesome, looked like poo poo being 6'2". I was already easily eating 4000 calories a day with all the handouts I was getting at restauramts. I increased calories more using a weight gain shake 2x a day and still dropped down to 165.

Maybe I was just making GBS threads out all the food without taking in all the calories.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not saying it's impossible to burn 4k in a day, but just to wait a little longer to see real results.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLWzZsuFxZZ/

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I don't even

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like Spiderman's rape cave

FedEx Mercury fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 14, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

i love that guy

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
Got cornered by a "I have a master's degree in exercise physiology" guy today who told me that i should never touch and go bench and only pause bench for everything ever and also that my program was bullshit and that i should be doing westside barbell.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Paper Diamonds posted:

Got cornered by a "I have a master's degree in exercise physiology" guy today who told me that i should never touch and go bench and only pause bench for everything ever and also that my program was bullshit and that i should be doing westside barbell.
I wonder if he actually has one.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 14, 2016

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

If I ate 4500 calories a day, that would be my body weight equivalent in pounds in about a month, poo poo. At age 46 I could probably bulk on 2200 :cry:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
at age 46 you should be more steroid than man

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Khorne posted:

He certainly was dropping enough terms to sound like one including: Daily undulating periodization, three types of muscle fibers, eccentric/concentric movement, intrinsic muscles. cervical spine flexion, and probably a bunch more I forgot already. I told him I was doing Madcows 5x5 and he said "Never heard of it, it's probably bullshit."

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Could you have beat him in a fight ? If so, his opinion is irrelevant.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
He's definitely stronger than me and I think I saw a USMC tattoo on his arm...so......maybe?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
STOLEN VALOR STOLEN VALOR

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Paper Diamonds posted:

told him I was doing Madcows 5x5 and he said "Never heard of it, it's probably bullshit."

Everyone knows the the only real lifting program is GOMAD

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Zzulu posted:

at age 46 you should be more steroid than man

Doctor's appointment in one month and then we will see :drugnerd:

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

Khorne posted:

i dated a guy w/ one and he looked down on anyone who gave a poo poo about bench press bc he only measured the worth of a man by his OHP. he also literally looked down on all of us bc 6'6"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I finally benched 225 today T_T

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Winnie the poo poo posted:

i dated a guy w/ one and he looked down on anyone who gave a poo poo about bench press bc he only measured the worth of a man by his OHP. he also literally looked down on all of us bc 6'6"

155 OHP crew checking in

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

FedEx Mercury posted:

What the hell dude, rowing is so simple. Legs, back, arms. That's it.

yeah, I know, it just feels like I'm doing it wrong for some reason I don't know what to tell you

naem
May 29, 2011

FedEx Mercury posted:

I'm not saying it's impossible to burn 4k in a day, but just to wait a little longer to see real results.

https://youtu.be/tS_Xq7gSCBM

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

a mysterious cloak posted:

Doctor's appointment in one month and then we will see :drugnerd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8c5wmeOL9o

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

proof of concept posted:

yeah, I know, it just feels like I'm doing it wrong for some reason I don't know what to tell you

is this you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FctsxV2fygM

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

so i think I will give up on lifting heavy basic lifts only. first, my body is a shattered and broken mess and its time i admit it to myself. i get hurt like every loving time. second i get fat and strong but i am strong enough to casually lift my wife and carry her around with me so thats all i need tbh, so i wanna be less fat looking

whats the correct and approved program to do for aesthetics, such that i can scale it from two to four times per week depending if i wanna do more or less cardio like the gayass fairy i am. still wanna do some deadlifts and stuff but not for strength. and then stuff for my shoulders and cheest. i know nothing about all these different exercises, all i ever did was squats and dl. so confused
help

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Bench press and curls

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
^ phoneposting so can't link to a specific program atm but my suggestion would be to mainly work within the 10-15 rep range with moderately challenging weights and focus on getting a good pump. There are heaps of ways to structure a workout, and often the plan you enjoy most and will be able to stick to is the best answer. For example, right now I'm personally liking combining bis with tris, shoulders with back, chest solo, legs solo. If I get bored, every so often I'll change it up. I mix 10 mins of abs in 3 times a week also. Key is to do stuff you enjoy and lift until you're gassed. Best of luck

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
a workout routine dot com

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

DisgracelandUSA posted:

155 OHP crew checking in

I hope you don't weigh more than 155.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

yep that's me alright, right at 1:10

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

sassassin posted:

I hope you don't weigh more than 155.

:smith:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Homestar Runner posted:

Key is to do stuff you enjoy and lift until you're gassed. Best of luck

Basically this. There are innumerable workouts out on the internet, you can look up some cutting routines and modify them based on what you want to do.

As long as you enjoy it, can stay on top of your training, and work hard it'll work out.

(Also phoneposting)

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

It seems I can either eat at a caloric deficit consistently or work out consistently, but when I try to do both everything goes to hell.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Haven't squatted in 10 months. All kinds of pants fit really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Haven't squatted in 10 months. All kinds of pants fit really well.

Pants are designed for twinks. You should be ashamed of yourself.