Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I hope one day there's a need to develop the Cooking skill in some meaningful way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

MrSlam posted:

I hope one day there's a need to develop the Cooking skill in some meaningful way.

I think trimming down the gifts villagers like or adjusting friendship point values for certain items would be a start to making cooking more worthwhile.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Or make it so that there's a special cooking gift that a villager would super-love.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Meridian posted:

I think trimming down the gifts villagers like or adjusting friendship point values for certain items would be a start to making cooking more worthwhile.

Game needs a Bakery/Deli that accepts two different seasonal food items each week, in return you get 20-40 friendship points for that week.

That way you can slowly grind up everyone at the same time instead of huge reputation boosts by having to hunt everyone down with their favorite food.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I'd like to see cooking as something you level. Also don't make the cooking channel mandatory to learn recipes.

Also do something about luck so we don't have to check the TV every day. Maybe just a horse shoe item that changes colour and direction based on luck level.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Zephyrine posted:

I'd like to see cooking as something you level.

Cooking Skill mod. Some of the professions are hilariously broken with this. Especially the one that gives you plus one to every buff the food gives you including speed.

The only downside is you can't make a ton of poo poo at once before you put it in your inventory now that everything has a quality attached to it. Plus, you know, the whole inventory management now that you can end up with 3 different qualities of the same food.

Whether you pick up that mod or not everyone should install the Expanded Fridge mod. It allows you to put basically every cooking ingredient in the fridge. Be careful starting a game without the mod after using since you won't be able to access anything that isn't on the first page to take out. You'll still be able to cook with the ingredients thankfully.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 14, 2016

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

limp_cheese posted:

Cooking Skill mod. Some of the professions are hilariously broken with this. Especially the one that gives you plus one to every buff the food gives you including speed.

The only downside is you can't make a ton of poo poo at once before you put it in your inventory now that everything has a quality attached to it. Plus, you know, the whole inventory management now that you can end up with 3 different qualities of the same food.

Whether you pick up that mod or not everyone should install the Expanded Fridge mod. It allows you to put basically every cooking ingredient in the fridge. Be careful starting a game without the mod after using since you won't be able to access anything that isn't on the first page to take out. You'll still be able to cook with the ingredients thankfully.

Oh neat! I'll give that one a try.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Meridian posted:

So would differentiating the effects of cooked food more. The differing amounts of HP/energy healing are meaningless by the time you'll have a kitchen, and only a subset of recipes does anything else for you.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Haifisch posted:

So would differentiating the effects of cooked food more. The differing amounts of HP/energy healing are meaningless by the time you'll have a kitchen, and only a subset of recipes does anything else for you.

Not to mention that time freezes when you eat so you can just munch fistfuls raw algae and roots mid fight and it makes no difference compared to proper cooked food.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Do y'all fence in your animals?
Yeah, entirely because I usually put the barn and coop together (one-stop petting/grass-seeding), and pigs are a royal pain in the rear end if they aren't fenced in. No point in having to hunt all over the place for truffles when you can guarantee that they'll all be in the same place, right?

Also, I use artisan machines (cheese presses, mayo machines, oil makers, etc.) instead of a fence on the side facing the farmhouse and lightning rods on the other two sides, so once I've got them fenced in, I don't have to do anything at all to keep them that way. Just lay down enough grass in there at the start of a season to keep pace with their appetites, and then collect the money.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

limp_cheese posted:

Why are people not growing winter forage seeds in winter? Seriously, they get benefits from the foraging perks and can make you more money than any other season. The only limiting factor is finding enough forage for seeds but that is taken care of after the first harvest.

Took this advice and made 60k gold from this and packed away 100 seeds for next winter where I should hopefully make a lot more. The double forage perk really helps.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Cooking should be a skill and prepared dishes should sell for more than the sum of their parts + be worth more friendship points.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone got a layout for the hill top farm that they like? I'm having a hard time finding a good spot for my barn and coop.

If I could move the warp totem and the pet water bowl they'd fit in perfectly next to my house.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 15, 2016

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
I am surprised that there is not a limit to the amount of food one can eat per day. It would give the cooking skill a bit more weight if, say, you were limited to eating only 3 food items. Right now my character can eat over a hundred salmonberries a day to make up for lost energy.

Or, have a penalty - you eat too much, you become bloated and your character ends up taking a massive crap. Lose 60 friendship points I anyone is around (except for Linus, you gain 20). You can then use crap as fertilizer. Gifting people your crap - well, that's just wrong.

On another topic, it occured to me that Mayor Lewis is really getting a great deal from acting as a middleman by selling your produce in bulk. Pierre and Joja will pay about half of what that item's sell point is worth - so there I I profit margin there. Lewis must be making a small fortune, and yet he keeps complaining about city funds. Heck - Pelican town doesn't have any city infrastructure at all.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Cooking should be a skill and prepared dishes should sell for more than the sum of their parts + be worth more friendship points.

Food is worth more friendship points. Notice how many points Abigail gets from Amethyst.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guigui posted:

On another topic, it occured to me that Mayor Lewis is really getting a great deal from acting as a middleman by selling your produce in bulk. Pierre and Joja will pay about half of what that item's sell point is worth - so there I I profit margin there. Lewis must be making a small fortune, and yet he keeps complaining about city funds. Heck - Pelican town doesn't have any city infrastructure at all.

Selling stuff to Pierre directly has a price penalty? I did not know that. I also thought that Pierre was the one picking up all the stuff in the sell box on the farm, and didn't realize the game never says that until a friend of mine who I got to play it said so.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

rotinaj posted:

Selling stuff to Pierre directly has a price penalty? I did not know that. I also thought that Pierre was the one picking up all the stuff in the sell box on the farm, and didn't realize the game never says that until a friend of mine who I got to play it said so.

:eyepop:
I also did not know Pierre was ripping me off. Wow one more reason to hate that guy. This is going to change a lot about my strategy, I will be much less likely to sell to Pierre.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

rotinaj posted:

Is it true? I don't think it is, never noticed earning less when selling to Pierre. Also, Lewis says that he picks stuff from the box at the start of the game.

Chadina
Apr 29, 2008

Dwesa posted:

Is it true? I don't think it is, never noticed earning less when selling to Pierre. Also, Lewis says that he picks stuff from the box at the start of the game.

No, there isn't a penalty for shipping container vs Pierre

I think the original post was just commenting on how both only pay half of the retail price, so they are making a heck of a profit off your character's hard work.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Chadina posted:

No, there isn't a penalty for shipping container vs Pierre

I think the original post was just commenting on how both only pay half of the retail price, so they are making a heck of a profit off your character's hard work.

On the other hand, if Pierre buys his goods with a markup from Lewis, then there actually is a penalty. He's paying what Lewis is paying you instead of what he's paying Lewis. It's just not a penalty that affects you in the slightest.

That monster.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I got some big spiel from Demetrius once out of nowhere which was basically "Oh hey did you know Pierre sells Spring Onion now? I tried some and they were great, it's good we have his store around!". This was only triggered when Pierre started selling spring onions because i'd sold him enough.
He may not be ripping you off, but he's loving stealing the credit for your work to drum up more business. :argh:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I Said No posted:

I got some big spiel from Demetrius once out of nowhere which was basically "Oh hey did you know Pierre sells Spring Onion now? I tried some and they were great, it's good we have his store around!". This was only triggered when Pierre started selling spring onions because i'd sold him enough.
He may not be ripping you off, but he's loving stealing the credit for your work to drum up more business. :argh:

Sounds like someone needs to get to work on a Farmer's Market mod.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

I Said No posted:

Given that he only sells actual products when you sell them to him (otherwise he only sells seeds and some baking supplies), this probably means that his festival grange is composed entirely of poo poo you sold him.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he really is a poo poo

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
I "tried" out the automation mod and I can't give it up. Now I can enjoy the rest of the game finally.

Oh boy, I'm glad almost everybody likes mayonnaise because I'm going to drown you sheep in it.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Ya'll might need to ease up a bit on the homemade mead

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It is Very hosed Up that out of the four winter forage items that grow from Winter Seeds, only one of them can be turned back into Winter Seeds.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sono posted:

How does that affect Krobus as a store? In-house shop for iridium sprinklers?

Oh god, let there be a mod for the travelling merchant. Buy out the community center without having to be corporate scum.

On an unrelated note, in a country that seems to be experiencing a brutal war, why can I not sell weapons in the mail?

They only buy from the lowest bidder.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

It is Very hosed Up that out of the four winter forage items that grow from Winter Seeds, only one of them can be turned back into Winter Seeds.

Uh, what? You need a winter root, snow yam, crystal fruit, and krochus to make a pack of winter seeds. All those are grown from winter seeds. Unless you mean at first getting enough krochus to make a bunch of seeds is a pain in the rear end. Everything else can either be dug up or dropped by monsters in other seasons.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh right, I meant dropping them in the seedmakers, for whatever reason it only accepts winter roots which I find a shitload of as I dig all over the place, so I have a disproportionate amount of them and snow yams as opposed to crystal fruit and crocuses.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I wish you could put forage/flowers in Preserve Barrels. You could make potpourri or tea or something, or Nutella out of Hazelnuts.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

endolithic posted:

CJB Automation makes machines/kegs/furnaces pull source materials and push processed materials into adjacent chests, which I love because I am extremely lazy. It hasn't been explicitly updated for 1.1 yet, but it's still working for me for now.

This is awesome, doesn't work with coffee beans sadly.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Would anybody be willing to fact-check something I've been suspicious of for a while, but have been inept at proving? It's simple math but I keep forgetting to pay attention during the end of day screen.

You can sell Spring seeds, summer seeds, etc in the shipping box for a good price, but which is better coinage per day: selling the produce or combining them again and selling the seeds? I've tried to find other mention of it by googling but nothing comes up.

Now that there's Iridium quality I bet there's no contest, but what about early-game before the foraging skills?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nemico posted:

Would anybody be willing to fact-check something I've been suspicious of for a while, but have been inept at proving? It's simple math but I keep forgetting to pay attention during the end of day screen.

You can sell Spring seeds, summer seeds, etc in the shipping box for a good price, but which is better coinage per day: selling the produce or combining them again and selling the seeds? I've tried to find other mention of it by googling but nothing comes up.

Now that there's Iridium quality I bet there's no contest, but what about early-game before the foraging skills?

The seeds are actually based on your farming skill. So your foraging skills aren't important for this.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 15, 2016

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh right, I meant dropping them in the seedmakers, for whatever reason it only accepts winter roots which I find a shitload of as I dig all over the place, so I have a disproportionate amount of them and snow yams as opposed to crystal fruit and crocuses.

I didn't know that but its good to know. I can start work on my winter seeds before winter now.

Rutibex posted:

I wish you could put forage/flowers in Preserve Barrels. You could make potpourri or tea or something, or Nutella out of Hazelnuts.

The only forage I know that can work is crystal fruit. Now that they are iridium quality I don't think its worth it anymore. Crystal fruit wine does sell for a poo poo load of money though.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Can the sewer bugs drop Ancient Seeds?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
please give me the palm fossil and skeletal hand, game

I have almost two entire skeletons with no hands

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Rutibex posted:

I continue to be disappointed that you can't make any high-quality corn liquor.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I just want an event where I can hit Pam with a folding chair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Omnicarus posted:

I just want an event where I can hit Pam with a folding chair

Same, divorcing her daughter and turning her grandchildren into doves just doesn't do it for me.