Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I used this blade/AR build in Tokyo and finished the final battle of chapter 13 with aegis at just 1.1 and QL 10.4 (granted, Tokyo has been nerfed a lot, but still): https://www.tswdb.com/builds/solo/target-their-shield-generator

It's a lot of fun and you never die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so I just finished Mortal Sins.

I'm not sure what to do next, but I stumbled into something new involving Emma in Transylvania - should I just shrug and follow this to the end?
Or should I do some other stuff first?

E: having done some googling, I think I've answered my own question - I'll go track down Tyler Freeborn(e?) first, then do the Last Train to Cairo, and then get back to this business with Emma.
Then I'll go bother the kitty under the table next to Sonnac's desk, and go from there.

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 27, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I like all of those except the part where you're on the actual train. The train can go eat a dick.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Morglon posted:

I like all of those except the part where you're on the actual train. The train can go eat a dick.
:agreed:

On an unrelated note, is the halloween event on for all of october or just the last couple of weeks? I can't remember.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Morglon posted:

The worst part of the train is when you realize how easy it is to make it good. Just place checkpoints in less crappy locations and you have a fun and good mission. I can't imagine it would take more than 1 hour of work for the devs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sekenr posted:

The worst part of the train is when you realize how easy it is to make it good. Just place checkpoints in less crappy locations and you have a fun and good mission. I can't imagine it would take more than 1 hour of work for the devs.

Making it so you can repair gear on the train would help too. And fixing the jumping part in the tunnel to not be so awful.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Morglon posted:

The only way to get through the train is to just settle in to the fact that you won't enjoy it and try not to speed run it.

Pilchenstein posted:

On an unrelated note, is the halloween event on for all of october or just the last couple of weeks? I can't remember.

I don't know about this year, but I feel it's usually towards the end and at least once didn't even start until November if I remember correctly.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 29, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

2spooky4october

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Okay so Tyler Freeborn is done, and wow I feel bad for the inhabitants of SI.
Semi-related note, why is there nothing about this connected with Carter?

It's like the ending to Dawn of the Dead - looks great, they escaped, roll credits. And then there's a "sting" afterwards. Oh dear. I'd like to know exactly how many of those inhabitants are totally screwed, and how many have some sort of protection.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

mcjomar posted:

Okay so Tyler Freeborn is done, and wow I feel bad for the inhabitants of SI.
Semi-related note, why is there nothing about this connected with Carter?

It's like the ending to Dawn of the Dead - looks great, they escaped, roll credits. And then there's a "sting" afterwards. Oh dear. I'd like to know exactly how many of those inhabitants are totally screwed, and how many have some sort of protection.

All of them. They're all hosed.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Morglon posted:

All of them. They're all hosed.

So basically, when Carter gets fully infected, they're even more hosed. On a side note, how is it we can get drenched in filth, but only get a debuff and cooldown, but these guys are seriously infected. Is it the bee keeping us safe?

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
The answer to most of the questions about what you can do as a PC is just "Bees did it".

Also I kinda thought Carter was either a bee or whatever Emma is.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's been a while, but one of the mission debriefs mentions that something like 99.xx% of the surviving Solomon Island population is already showing signs of low-level Filth contamination, and that the rest are simply meat for the grinder when their neighbors and co-workers turn and the mists roll in.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

TGG posted:

Also I kinda thought Carter was either a bee or whatever Emma is.
I think Carter is just naturally gifted, the same as the other kids in the program Emma's in (that program is essentially the Orochi version of Innsmouth Academy). Bees are a step up from that, since we have all the magic powers and game mechanics on our side immortality. :v: Emma's much more than just naturally gifted though.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So basically Carter is even more of a ticking time bomb, bees are safe, as are bee related things, and everyone else is just generically screwed, got it.
Sounds like fun.
Now time for Last Train to Cairo - I just got through the fisticuffs scene, and now to talk to Said. Fun times.

E:Just completed the Train mission, first go round. I guess it has been nerfed heavily if I could do it on my first try? On the plus side, it'll be kinder to any newbies going through it now.

E2: So that's issues 5-7 complete.
I've also grabbed all the aux weapons. Now I just need to grind the SP and AP to unlock them all, at least to a basic level.
I've picked up a few guides for grinding missions in Trans, but I'm not sure if there's anything faster than that.

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 1, 2016

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

mcjomar posted:

E:Just completed the Train mission, first go round. I guess it has been nerfed heavily if I could do it on my first try? On the plus side, it'll be kinder to any newbies going through it now.

That'd be nice if it's true. I remember back in the day I didn't have any problems with the train whatsoever the first time, then on subsequent runs it turned into the biggest pain in the rear end. Maybe I got cocky and started timing everything wrong but drat, it sucked. If they made it more consistent then that's good news.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
The actual fights in that mission were never that bad, the bad part is the platforming in a game with mechanics that really don't lend themselves at all to platforming.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The tunnel part is the worst part of the train ride

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

The tunnel part is the worst part of the train ride

Yeah basically.
I did get knocked on my rear end a lot.
I guess it says something about this game when my reaction to this is little more than " eh, gently caress it, whatever" if it doesn't kill me.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

the train sequence is the perfect metaphor for TSW because it's a fantastic concept marred by extremely subpar execution

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

mcjomar posted:

I did get knocked on my rear end a lot.

This is what I was going to ask; I mean, it's not like it kicks you out of the mission or anything. If you made it through without ever falling off or missing a jump, I'd be astonished. But I mean, of course you're going to finish it sooner or later, it's not like you have much choice.

Supposedly one of the important things about getting through that mission is keep sprint off at certain times, which is something I never did (in fact I think I installed a plugin to automatically keep it on not long before I did it). Last I looked someone had written up a post all about it detailing jumping sideways and backwards at certain places to avoid going too far, I think it was on Reddit but I can't find it now.

Personally I think the game should just implement air control similar to what Combat Jumping in City of Heroes gave you. They could justify it in-game in about a thousand different ways and it would make so much bullshit so much less frustrating.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well I never fell off - I missed the odd jump, but I always landed on a train car if that happened, because of how I positioned myself, so it wasn't ever really a problem for me.

I just fell over a bunch during the tunnel bit, but I never got knocked off the train, which I what I assumed everyone meant when they said the train sucked from the jumping mechanics - although I did keep turning off my sprint, because I know how much sprint screws me over when I'm doing a jumping puzzle.

Similarly, during the boss fight, I made sure to run or dive out of the circles, and otherwise positioned myself so I'd land on the roof, rather than flying over the edge.

So yeah, the worst thing to happen to me was getting smacked in the face a lot during the tunnel section. That's pretty much it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Thinking about getting back into this, mainly for lack of anything else to play right now.

Is the game less grindy than it was at launch? Had any sort of WoW-esque changes that make levelling faster? I enjoyed myself decently enough at launch, but it was certainly one of the grindier MMO's I'd ever played at the time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Thinking about getting back into this, mainly for lack of anything else to play right now.

Is the game less grindy than it was at launch? Had any sort of WoW-esque changes that make levelling faster? I enjoyed myself decently enough at launch, but it was certainly one of the grindier MMO's I'd ever played at the time.

This is nonsensical. The point of this game is to experience the story and the game has always advanced your character at a rate that more than adequately allows you to do that. There's literally zero grinding until you hit the endgame.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Toshimo posted:

This is nonsensical. The point of this game is to experience the story and the game has always advanced your character at a rate that more than adequately allows you to do that. There's literally zero grinding until you hit the endgame.

So it's still grindy then. Alright.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
No idea what you consider grindy. You want full 10.4? Yeah that's gonna take a while but if you're cool with having just full 10.2 by the time you get down with the story and side content that should be well within reach. Beyond that is raiding and I have no idea what goes on there. I mean you replay a couple things occasionally and don't spend stuff on lesser gear you can probably average 10.3 by the time you're done with everything, with decent AEGIS stuff too if I'm not too far off.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Honestly unless Tokyo is insane you shouldn't ever have to grind nightmare content. Everything in the game can be done with quest rewards and elite dungeon drops.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

The grindy bit that chased me from the game was having to upgrade the aegis stuff for part 2 of Tokyo. Until then I was able to play through every mission once, besides the dungeons, using a terrible chaos/hammer build just to see the storyline.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well AEGIS is now the same thing as regular gear so if you alternate you can get that poo poo up too no problem.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Toshimo posted:

There was some grind in the middle when it first came out. The story moved a long pretty well, then some players (me) hit the Blue Mountain / Egypt wall and had to grind a bunch of missions repeatedly until they had the right build and understanding of the game to handle it. However, that was before all the changes in the last 1-1.5 years. I think it's less grindy now. Mobs are easier to kill and the you do not have to grind dungeons over and over to get a nice set of purple gear. However, some people like grinding so they can get the 10.9999999999999999 (or whatever the max level is now) gear, so they can still do that if they want.

Edit: Tokyo wasn't a grind when I did it, it was just a really frustrating experience. It was horrible until I got 2 full sets of aegis. So I did have to repeat the mission that gives you those for like a week. They really should just give you 2 full sets after complete the storyline/tutorial mission that gets you into Tokyo.

Edit2: Actually, I think Tokyo was still bad after I got the 2 full sets of Aegis. I think most of the frustration was from having to deal with the hordes of roaming mobs just trying to get from mission to mission and avoid the long filth hook that would pull me back into an area I thought I left way behind me.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 9, 2016

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I definitely remember the Carpathian area as being a significant step up in difficulty and if I hadn't been following a guide (i.e. if I'd been rolling my own poo poo-tier build) I probably would have hit a wall.

It's much better now with the changes to underused skills.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I pretty much ran my leech build into the ground through the carpathians, and it tanked everything easily.
It helped that I had the healer woodcutter axe necklace on though.

I'm temporarily running a Dragon character next so I can avoid the upcoming AP grind for unlocking my aux weapons, and opening up the pistol/shotgun build I'm considering.
My Dragon character is running a damage focused elemental/fist build which is probably poo poo tier - currently focused around abusing the low level hinder synergy from elemental stuff, with a couple fist parts to add extra afflict on top of the shock afflict off the bat.
I'm still cutting through everything with ease, but that's because I've usually unlocked the tier 10 necklace before finishing savage coast, so I can stick in the dps axe necklace, and slice and dice like a blender.

Basically, what I'm saying is, get The Park if you haven't already, enjoy it once, ignore it forever, and plug in your axe necklace and go wild, because it trivialises everything.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

mcjomar posted:

Basically, what I'm saying is, get The Park if you haven't already, enjoy it once, ignore it forever, and plug in your axe necklace and go wild, because it trivialises everything.

Pretty much, I would have paid 15 bucks (or whatever it was) just for those. The Park was interesting, but totally forgettable. I'm waiting to see what this new game they are releasing gives out. I will probably get it either way if it's 10-15 bucks, but if they give our TSW accounts free stuff as incentive (and a reason to play TSW) then that would be fantastic.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TracerM17 posted:

Pretty much, I would have paid 15 bucks (or whatever it was) just for those. The Park was interesting, but totally forgettable. I'm waiting to see what this new game they are releasing gives out. I will probably get it either way if it's 10-15 bucks, but if they give our TSW accounts free stuff as incentive (and a reason to play TSW) then that would be fantastic.

The new game is a 1v1 "pvp" game about Innsmouth Academy vs some no-name high school, where you're both invisible and have to trap each other and scare each other.
That's about it.
Someone described it as a Halloween spy vs spy, TSW style.

Here's the Massively coverage:
http://massivelyop.com/2016/10/06/chaos-theory-hide-and-shriek-in-the-park-of-the-secret-world/
http://massivelyop.com/2016/10/07/the-secret-world-tie-in-to-hide-and-shriek-confirmed-cosmetic-only/

The preview page is already up on steam if you want to see the trailer and get a close look at it.

I might get it, if it's either cheap, or reviews well, or both.

E:

Here's the steam page:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/480430/

e2: As noted in that second Massively link, it's basically just cosmetic, so nothing too big.

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 9, 2016

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
The game is hardly grindy these days, especially with the Tokyo nerf, but if you want to get ahead of the curve try to play during events. The Halloween event should be coming soon and there's always ways to get easy XP and currency for buying upgrades in events. The Anniversary event is probably the best for this, but they're all good. And fun.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I'd like to pick this up again. I was reviewing the builds on the tswdb site and many of the tops ones are a year or more old. Is there a place with updated builds? The last time I played i remembered it taking most of the builds a long time to get going, leading to me feeling very weak in the first two areas.

Is there currently an OP DPS build that will let me steamroll the first few areas?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

bear is driving! posted:

I'd like to pick this up again. I was reviewing the builds on the tswdb site and many of the tops ones are a year or more old. Is there a place with updated builds? The last time I played i remembered it taking most of the builds a long time to get going, leading to me feeling very weak in the first two areas.

Is there currently an OP DPS build that will let me steamroll the first few areas?
The first few areas are pretty steamrollable anyway nowadays, they did a big rebalance at some point.

The builds on tswdb are still decent I think, but I'm bad so don't quote me on that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bear is driving! posted:

Toshimo posted:

Pick 2 weapons.

Pick 1 Builder (Builds 1 resource on each weapon).
If that builder wasn't an AoE, pick a second builder that is.
Pick 1 consumer for each weapon type (consumes all resources, or, if elemental consumes 2, 3, or 5 resources). Make sure they have no cooldown or cooldown <5 seconds.
Fill the other 3-4 spots with CC, movement, or offensive/defensive cooldowns.

Spend 1AP each on:
Brawler
Mind over Matter
Immortal Spirit
Lick your wounds

Spend 2 more AP in Elementalism for Elemental Force.

Grab the cheap inner wheel passives that give +10% to your 2 weapon types.

Bam. Cheap build that will do almost all the single-player stuff you need.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Toshimo posted:

8.5% to all damage is better than 20% leeching for a build that is not 100% leech. Also, the defensive buff is probably worth more mitigation than the bonus leech heals.

Experience also does not actually work.

It used to be that it was a straight 20% boost to leeching skills. That means a boost to the damage itself and thus to the healing.

It was stealth-nerfed to only boost the % damage converted to healing in such a way that it is worthless.

This is on top of nerfing Anima Shot by giving it a casting delay.

Funcom kinda sucks at the whole "fun" part sometimes.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tallgeese posted:

Experience also does not actually work.

It used to be that it was a straight 20% boost to leeching skills. That means a boost to the damage itself and thus to the healing.

It was stealth-nerfed to only boost the % damage converted to healing in such a way that it is worthless.

This is on top of nerfing Anima Shot by giving it a casting delay.

Funcom kinda sucks at the whole "fun" part sometimes.

I don't disagree with most of this simply because I don't know.
That said, when I was comparing both the leech heal builds, I found I died less (well, I didn't die ever), when I used anima shot and experience in combination with the woodcutter healer necklace.
I don't get the numbers behind this, just that it works for me just now.

• Locked thread