Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I didn't get into Prime 3 after an hour or so, but replaying the first with a Wii remote is really tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
The Prime trilogy version of Prime 2 is pretty stripped down; they drastically nerfed the difficulty in some of the game's cooler boss fights. Not recommended unless you absolutely can't stand the original games' controls. I think MP1 is fine though (unless the removal of some speedrun tricks and skips particularly bothers you).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Didn't they just alter the difficulty setting labels so that easy was now normal and normal hard?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

The Prime trilogy version of Prime 2 is pretty stripped down; they drastically nerfed the difficulty in some of the game's cooler boss fights. Not recommended unless you absolutely can't stand the original games' controls. I think MP1 is fine though (unless the removal of some speedrun tricks and skips particularly bothers you).

There is no shame in playing the nerfed version of the boost guardian boss. gently caress that rear end in a top hat!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Prime 2 is not a good game so making it more tolerable sounds good to me :confused:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

What? The Prime Trilogy version of 2 better balances the game by tweaking some obviously poorly balanced bosses that were only poorly balanced because the development time of Prime 2 was far shorter than Prime 1, not dumbs it down. You'd have a point if they reduced the energy drain in the dark world or gave you infinite ammo for your beam weapons, but they didn't. The trilogy version also makes seeker missiles actually useful in combat and not just a puzzle solving utility because the original gamepad controls were clunky so if anything the trilogy version adds to Prime 2 instead of stripping things away.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Prime 2 is my favorite Metroid :colbert:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

But I want my VITA version!

I carry a Vita, 3ds and phone with me most places I go and I'd rather play Bloodstained on the first of those rather than the other two. :shobon:

Levantine posted:

All the Prime games are really good. Prime 3 has two of my favorite areas in the series: The steampunk Sky castle in the clouds and the (late game spoiler)Pirate homeworld. Ghost ship is pretty cool too.

Honestly I felt 3 was pretty weak, maybe not a BAD game but it didn't grab me much. Prime 2 was good when you weren't backtracking, so maybe half the time. Prime 1 was good.

Honestly though, Prime 2 was my favorite metroid game period. I even liked the 4 player deathmatch mode! I grew up after Super Metroid came out and it looks ugly now and it plays ok but isn't the best metroidvania game. :shrug:

Hammer Bro. posted:

The demo was all right, but it was nothing to write home about. I thought it was a little rough around the edges. And now they're implying that it's the gold standard they're currently unable to consistently hit.

This one makes me groan. Procedural generation increases replayability at the cost of interest. Part of what created the awesome feel of all the previous games was that everything was deliberately placed, arranged, and orchestrated.

I'm a bit concerned about that first line too, but maybe I'm just reading it wrong. :shrug:

The latter remark though, you know that's a bonus mode right? :v:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think I'll roll the dice on Koji Igarashi directing a side-scroller in a genre he, if not invented, refined to its zenith.
Are you naysayers forgetting what he was able to make with a shoestring budget on the GBA and DS?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
When he used the phrase "procedural generation" it was in the context of asset generation, not map/environment design. The game's not going to turn into Rogue Legacy or anything like that.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What? The Prime Trilogy version of 2 better balances the game by tweaking some obviously poorly balanced bosses that were only poorly balanced because the development time of Prime 2 was far shorter than Prime 1, not dumbs it down. You'd have a point if they reduced the energy drain in the dark world or gave you infinite ammo for your beam weapons, but they didn't. The trilogy version also makes seeker missiles actually useful in combat and not just a puzzle solving utility because the original gamepad controls were clunky so if anything the trilogy version adds to Prime 2 instead of stripping things away.

There's nothing poorly-balanced about the boss fights in Metroid Prime 2 (aside from a bunch of them having too much HP, but that's also the case in MP1 and the Wii version of MP2 anyway). They are definitely harder than the boss fights from the first game, but that would only be a problem if MP2's boss fights were hosed up in some way or not consistently beatable, which is not the case. Their difficulty has nothing to do with losing health in the dark world or beams having limited ammo or whatever, you pretty much always get large refills on those before bosses anyway.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I haven't played Prime 2 in years but I remember the Boost Ball Guarding feeling like some unfair bullshit. Not sure how I'd feel about it now, especially here in the Castlevania thread.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Castlevania news: Nintendo of Europe's doing 30% off all Castlevania games from October 20-31. That includes:

Wii U:
Castlevania
Castlevania 2
Castlevania 3
Super Castlevania 4
Castlevania Dracula X (SNES, not PCE)
Castlevania Circle of the Moon ("Castlevania")
Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow

3DS:
Castlevania
Castlevania 2
Castlevania 3
Super Castlevania 4 (New 3DS only)
Castlevania The Adventure
Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

I never had too much of a problem with Boost Ball Guardian in MP2, and I am bad at videogames. It was a tense fight, sure, but it never felt unfair or too hard.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/10/17/demo-now-castlevania-remade-unreal-engine/

quote:

Dejawolfs is partway through development of the second stage, and has taken to Kickstarter to try to fund the rest of development and purchase a license to use the franchise to pre-emptively deal with any potential legal issues that may crop up.

Well, good luck with that I suppose.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Does he not realize who Konami is? Why would they ever sell licensing rights?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
More HoD thoughts:

The backgrounds in this game are really pretty and there are a ton of gorgeous one-offs, especially the boss rooms. It's a pity all the bosses are so dull.

It's kind of astounding how much of the bestiary this rips off SotN, but on the other hand, a lot of the weirder enemies feel weird because they didn't show up in later titles. It would be interesting to track how the CV bestiary evolved over the years.

I'm not usually one to focus on level design and monster placement, but it's so blatantly bad in HoD even I'm getting a bit irritated about it. The map is confusing, save points are inconsistently distributed, monsters are placed almost at random.... I'm not sure what went wrong here, but it makes the game a slog.

Such a strange, flawed game, but I can't bring myself to dislike it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

They remove a lot of the cooler effects and touches too, especially around the X-Ray Visor, because they depended on either static images or set animations, neither of which were possible with the wiimote. I didn't feel the wiimote added a lot, I'd replay the GC one if possible. If not it's still a pretty great game though.

Also the boost guardian was easy, the spider guardian was an rear end in a top hat and the first MP3 boss (the golem thing or whatever) is one of the biggest pieces of poo poo in a videogame ever and I almost just quit in frustration.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 18, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I assume there is a non-zero amount of people here who are watching it (it's behind a paywall), but Vinny at Giant Bomb is playing Symphony of the Night for the first time and it just totally clicked for him in the recent update just how much fun he was having with it. It was pretty :3:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cerepol posted:

Does he not realize who Konami is? Why would they ever sell licensing rights?

That's not what he's doing.

Konami has the right to sell a license to sell Castlevania games. He's hoping to buy one of those licenses to sell this game.

It's a moot point anyway, what little he's made looks like crap and his Kickstarter is downright embarrassingly bad, so more likely than not he's gonna get hit with a C&D just for starting the Kickstarter.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Maldita Castilla EX comes out on Steam tomorrow - it's called Cursed Castilla now but it's the same as the XB1/PS4 versions: http://store.steampowered.com/app/534290/

Sony Europe's doing a Halloween sale - Symphony of the Night, Dracula X Chronicles, Harmony of Despair and the Lords of Shadow trilogy are all over 50% off until November 2.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Metroid Prime has the worst map I've ever seen in a game and makes the game harder to navigate than it should be. But the reason I haven't beaten it is that I just got bored of it. I bought the Wii collection - I wanted to like it!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I know a lot of people liked it, but the scan visor sucked all the joy out of Metroid Prime for me. I loathe having to constantly pause and read bits of story in action games, and would have gladly skipped that—but you still needed to use it to unlock doors and stuff for progression, and it was frequently unclear when you actually needed to use it. So I had to tediously sweep every new room for hotspots because I might miss something important if I didn't, and having to swap to a separate visor to see the hotspots at all made it even more of a tedious chore when I just wanted to run around and explore and shoot stuff. Like you generally do in Metroid games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was completely obvious when you had the scan something to progress (hmm this door doesn't open for some reason) and you could ignore it outside of that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MarsDragon posted:

More HoD thoughts:

It's kind of astounding how much of the bestiary this rips off SotN,
I think it's less that it rips off SotN as it continues ripping off Rondo of Blood. A lot of those sprites survived unchanged right up into Portriat of Ruin, and I think Order of Ecclesia had less but it still ahd a good amount.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Sakurazuka posted:

It was completely obvious when you had the scan something to progress (hmm this door doesn't open for some reason) and you could ignore it outside of that.

Weren't there hidden items or areas that required using the scan visor in non-obvious situations? Not to mention having to use it in boss fights.

I should really go back and give Metroid Prime another go and see if it finally clicks for me. In addition to my issues with the scan visor, I don't think I was any good at first-person action games back then, so the whole thing just kind of felt finicky and needlessly complicated.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean you're probably going to miss items and stuff if you don't scan but it's not essential for progress other than activating a few obvious switches.
You don't need to scan bosses at all unless you want 100% scan completion or really can't figure out how to hurt them.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

There's usually visual clues/cues in the level that help you know when to switch on the scanner for a closer peek. However there are like 2-3 artifacts tucked away towards the end of the game that might give you headaches. If you can't find them, just google it, I don't think it will cheapen the overall experience.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 23, 2016

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I mean you're probably going to miss items and stuff if you don't scan but it's not essential for progress other than activating a few obvious switches.
You don't need to scan bosses at all unless you want 100% scan completion or really can't figure out how to hurt them.

I thought you couldn't beat the game without finding and scanning all the relics or some dumb poo poo. I really liked it until I got to what I thought was the end and then was supposed to go play Metroid Snap all over the drat place.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I thought you couldn't beat the game without finding and scanning all the relics or some dumb poo poo. I really liked it until I got to what I thought was the end and then was supposed to go play Metroid Snap all over the drat place.
I haven't replayed MP1 in years but I don't think that's true at all. Scanning 100% of poo poo gets you like...artwork, or something? I remember Item Completion % was what got you the "better" ending so it wasn't involved with that at least.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I haven't replayed MP1 in years but I don't think that's true at all. Scanning 100% of poo poo gets you like...artwork, or something? I remember Item Completion % was what got you the "better" ending so it wasn't involved with that at least.

I think they mean the relics you need to find and scan to activate the elevator down to the final boss. There's like 12 hidden around I think?

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I think they mean the relics you need to find and scan to activate the elevator down to the final boss. There's like 12 hidden around I think?

Scanning just gave you hints about the artifact locations, you didn't need to scan the artifacts themselves.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Despite what I said earlier I gave it another try and I'm hooked. Not as good as the 2d metroid games but I'm enjoying it. I think I kind of just accepted I can't always look up or down easily and to just go off the map. I don't know really.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Metroid Prime has the worst map I've ever seen in a game and makes the game harder to navigate than it should be. But the reason I haven't beaten it is that I just got bored of it. I bought the Wii collection - I wanted to like it!

wha

it's just a simple model of the world, it's way more helpful than a bunch of nondescript squares

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Zereth posted:

I think it's less that it rips off SotN as it continues ripping off Rondo of Blood. A lot of those sprites survived unchanged right up into Portriat of Ruin, and I think Order of Ecclesia had less but it still ahd a good amount.

They're actually all resprited because the GBA couldn't handle Turbo CD/PSX sprites, and they rip off SotN enemies that weren't in Rondo. Salomes and Salem Witches (or Pixies and Sirens) are the noticeable ones here.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MarsDragon posted:

They're actually all resprited because the GBA couldn't handle Turbo CD/PSX sprites, and they rip off SotN enemies that weren't in Rondo. Salomes and Salem Witches (or Pixies and Sirens) are the noticeable ones here.
Oh right yeah now I remember what Circle of the Moon looked like.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Looper posted:

wha

it's just a simple model of the world, it's way more helpful than a bunch of nondescript squares

Yeah it's the most straightforward map possible.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Metroid Prime honestly had the best map any 3-D game has ever had. It's fully 3-D and movable so you can see both where you are and you/your locations position relative to everything else on every conceivable plane. Every other game uses some 2-D list of squares that gives you no idea of vertical orientation or position, and god help you if it's a multi-floor area so you then have to flip through tabs trying to figure out if your above/below something. In Prime it's all in one screen.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

galagazombie posted:

Metroid Prime honestly had the best map any 3-D game has ever had. It's fully 3-D and movable so you can see both where you are and you/your locations position relative to everything else on every conceivable plane. Every other game uses some 2-D list of squares that gives you no idea of vertical orientation or position, and god help you if it's a multi-floor area so you then have to flip through tabs trying to figure out if your above/below something. In Prime it's all in one screen.

I love the map, but every now and then my eyes would gently caress up the perspective of it and my brain would invert how it appears. Kinda like that dancing gif where it can rotating both directions at the same time. I usually just gave it a top down view to avoid headaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

I love the map, but every now and then my eyes would gently caress up the perspective of it and my brain would invert how it appears. Kinda like that dancing gif where it can rotating both directions at the same time. I usually just gave it a top down view to avoid headaches.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I sometimes had this problem, too. The map had no perspective on it. Even a small amount of perspective would have helped there.