Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It doesn't, but that's never stopped people who don't understand entrapment from calling entrapment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
"We broke the law, so out of the kindness of your heart will you the jury not hold us accountable at all?"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Reminder that they honestly believe that they didn't break any "valid" laws.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Killjoy posted:

"We broke the law, so out of the kindness of your heart will you the jury not hold us accountable at all?"

It's stupid, but what other defense have they got? Seriously, what else could they try? All I can think of is "We were never there, this is all a setup by da evul gubmint who used our doppelgangers to fake video footage of us doing all the stuff we didn't do."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/786726993614168064

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SocketWrench posted:

Did you occupy a federal reserve?
"yes"

Knowing that you talked to informants, did you occupy a federal reserve?
"Yes"

I don't see how this changes anything

Yeah, I don't get it either. What is Ryan Payne's game plan? Doe he think the trial is going really well for the militants, and they are all about to be found not guilty?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Holy poo poo, Shawna Cox is dumb. She insisted on taking the stand and playing her video of the felony stop. Hilarity ensues.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/10/oregon_standoff_defendant_shaw.html

quote:

Harris showed the footage after the judge cautioned that it could be "quite prejudicial'' to both Cox and co-defendant Ryan Bundy with the risk of "underscoring to the jury that the defendants pick and choose which laws they want to follow.'' The video captured Cox telling Finicum to "gun it, gun it'' as he sped away from officers at the initial stop.

quote:

During a brief cross-examination, Assistant U.S. Attorney Craig Gabriel stopped the video that Cox took and showed a screenshot of Ryan Bundy, who was in the back left side passenger seat of Finicum's truck, holding a revolver in his right hand as he hunkered down.

Gabriel asked Cox if her video was a fair and accurate representation of what took place. She said yes.

And, in fact, Ryan Bundy had a revolver, Gabriel pointed out.

"I have no idea,'' Cox said. "I never saw a gun.''

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Reminder that they honestly believe that they didn't break any "valid" laws.

Hey now the constitution doesn't literally say "you can't forcibly occupy and utterly trash a bird refuge while threatening people with guns and describing all the violent crimes you can't wait to commit when the revolution starts" so obviously the founding fathers don't want this to be illegal and it's fine :colbert:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

TotalLossBrain posted:

Holy poo poo, Shawna Cox is dumb. She insisted on taking the stand and playing her video of the felony stop. Hilarity ensues.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/10/oregon_standoff_defendant_shaw.html

They can't help it. It's like there's a little voice in their head screaming "DO IT!" and they have no choice

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Just imagine you've seen Ammon breaking down on the stand crying about how the government was smarter and more powerful than he expected and your first thought is, "These guys are on fire! I should'a fought this!"

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

SocketWrench posted:

They can't help it. It's like there's a little voice in their head screaming "DO IT!" and they have no choice

The little voice saying "GUN IT" is surprisingly easy to eliminate

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

TotalLossBrain posted:

quote:

Harris showed the footage after the judge cautioned that it could be "quite prejudicial'' to both Cox and co-defendant Ryan Bundy

At this point, I can only imagine the judge looking like this:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Judges are usually pretty on the ball about that kind of thing because they don't want the defendants to have grounds for appeal. People were informed of the risks and did it anyway.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

This should be an instant fine. I bet he muttered it under his breath like a child.

I really want the judge to hold him in contempt, and fine him like 3 grand every time he says jury nullification. He's gotten like 10 warnings already, just hammer this idiot.

:qq: but i didn't know the warnings were real warnings! :qq:

red19fire has issued a correction as of 11:21 on Oct 14, 2016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I have a (perhaps-not-very-interesting) follow up on my comments about the Finicum foster situation. My instructor was giving a long hypothetical in response to a student question, which wasn't 100% clear at the time, and there might not be any public information about this issue in the future, since it's about minors who have already been removed, etc...

Relevant pieces of information:
AZ law* says foster homes must have enough income to have a stable home without the foster stipends, which are for care of the foster children. The Finicums' ranch may not have been turning a profit and they themselves may have been living on the stipends.
AZ law* has a general rule against the "exploitation" of foster youth, and it's possible that the foster youths' labor at the ranch was exploitation.

*This is true in more than just AZ - it is true in DC, which is why my class was talking about it - but I understand the laws may be worded/applied differently at the state level.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

WrenP-Complete posted:

The Finicums' ranch may not have been turning a profit and they themselves may have been living on the stipends.

Finicum himself said that the ranch was barely making ends meet and that the foster kids were his "main source of income".

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

Finicum himself said that the ranch was barely making ends meet and that the foster kids were his "main source of income".

Yes, and that is what my instructor was referring to.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ate all the Oreos posted:

Hey now the constitution doesn't literally say "you can't forcibly occupy and utterly trash a bird refuge while threatening people with guns and describing all the violent crimes you can't wait to commit when the revolution starts" so obviously the founding fathers don't want this to be illegal and it's fine :colbert:

I love that most of their beliefs boil down to " Show me in the rules where it says a dog can't play basketball".

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I guess the question is how profitable is it. If it makes like $5 more than it takes in the. I can see why he would say the foster stipends are his primary source of income as that is what they live off of.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Here's an excellent piece on today's court proceedings, mostly involving Fry from Maxine Bernstein: http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/10/oregon_standoff_holdout_david.html

choice quotes:

quote:

Fry said Finicum was the only person he had known at the eastern Oregon bird sanctuary when he arrived Jan. 8. He went there from his home in Ohio partly because he was interested in meeting Finicum, who he had been following on YouTube. He thought going to the refuge would give him a good chance to get out of the house and see what the protest was all about.

He described the occupation as a Martin Luther King Jr.-type sit-in and said it was the first protest he ever participated in.

quote:

At one point, Fry said he was turned off by the anti-Muslim sentiment of two or three people at the refuge and scribbled a handwritten note on Jan. 23 that he was going to leave.

"Hello everyone,'' the note started. "I'm sorry I couldn't stick around as long as I wanted. I just feel like there isn't much for me to do. Never should I have cared. Caring is my weakness. With it I will go. Bye! You can have all my stuff.''

Fry said he later realized he was overreacting and decided to stay.

quote:

There was a heightened sense of paranoia, he said, because he thought agents were watching them with drones and cameras.

"I was a little bit losing my mind in a sense ... I don't think I was being crazy but maybe not completely sane,'' Fry said.

Looking back at his last moments at the refuge, he said, "It's actually quite embarrassing to be honest. At the time I really thought I was going to die.''

Though the FBI said people could leave the refuge, Fry testified that he didn't feel comfortable leaving without everyone going as well. He said agents told Sean Anderson that he would be detained and charged.

Fry also feared that he'd be sexually assaulted in custody.

:smith:

But then...

quote:

Fry credited FBI negotiator Marc Maxwell for convincing him to give up.

:unsmith:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TotalLossBrain posted:

Here's an excellent piece on today's court proceedings, mostly involving Fry from Maxine Bernstein: http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/10/oregon_standoff_holdout_david.html

choice quotes:

quote:

At one point, Fry said he was turned off by the anti-Muslim sentiment of two or three people at the refuge and scribbled a handwritten note on Jan. 23 that he was going to leave.

:smith:

But then...

:unsmith:

:unsmith: indeed

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I love that most of their beliefs boil down to " Show me in the rules where it says a dog can't play basketball".

Often while directly ignoring where it actually says that dogs can't play basketball.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Often while directly ignoring where it actually says that dogs can't play basketball.

Dogs could play basketball but they can't look up

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

TotalLossBrain posted:

choice quotes:

quote:

"Hello everyone,'' the note started. "I'm sorry I couldn't stick around as long as I wanted. I just feel like there isn't much for me to do. Never should I have cared. Caring is my weakness. With it I will go. Bye! You can have all my stuff.''
Oh honey, you have a weakness, but it's not "caring."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is actually really useful for updating my guide on the events!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

red19fire posted:

This should be an instant fine. I bet he muttered it under his breath like a child.

I really want the judge to hold him in contempt, and fine him like 3 grand every time he says jury nullification. He's gotten like 10 warnings already, just hammer this idiot.

:qq: but i didn't know the warnings were real warnings! :qq:

People don't seem to get that while nullification is technically "a thing" it also means you're telling the jury "if you personally don't like the law you should ignore it" which while having some potential for good it's ultimately a really bad thing in society for people to be able to just walk after committing crimes because they got lucky and their jury was a bunch of idealists.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

TotalLossBrain posted:

oh poo poo your post reminded me that Ya' Boy LaVoy had a huge Youtube channel, I went back through it and goddamn this poo poo is funny given his eventual fate

Here's one where he laments how people rely on the government for survival and chastises that you should be prepared by spending money on more emergency supplies (when he himself was living on government dole and the only emergency he ever faced ended up being a bullet)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jANypgeSNmE

One where he makes the classic libertarian mistake of being utterly unable to grasp the very concept of externalities
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hewN-oZeYZk

Here's the one that turned Our Precious Boy LaVoy on the path to his demise, fun fact: he admits that the BLM is good and that people like them but that they're still bad because reasons, government, feds, something something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWeG9GTZtvw

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
^^I'll have to dig through those later, but I'll probably just be left with more amazement at the utter disconnect. I've known people like Lavoy and I've gone to church with them when I was still the church-going type. They honest-to-god believe they are doing the right thing and they feel emboldened because GOD. They will never be wrong. But they are typically very nice people outside of that craziness.

I know some in this thread expressed dissatisfaction at Santilli getting his charges dropped. Amy Goodman is a good example for why this was ultimately a good thing, though.
As background, Amy covered North Dakota pipeline protests and was arrested for trespassing.

quote:

In September 2016, an arrest warrant was issued for Goodman after she covered the Dakota Access Pipeline protests during which private security personnel unleashed dogs and pepper spray on protesters. She is reportedly facing criminal trespassing charges in Morton County, North Dakota. An arrest warrant was reportedly also issued for Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein and her running mate, Ajamu Baraka.] On the October 13th broadcast of Democracy Now!, Goodman announced her intentions to turn herself in to the Morton County–Mandan Corrections Center on Monday, October 17. She stated that she would be fighting the charges against her as a "clear violation of the First Amendment". The Committee to Protect Journalists issued a statement condemning the arrest and demanding that the charges be dropped. Steve Andrist, executive director of the North Dakota Newspaper Association, also expressed concern that a journalist was one of only two people from the day in question wanted for arrest, with authorities saying she was selected because she is identifiable on the video footage.

I hope that Amy's charges will also be dropped.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Forgot to mention that the defense is trying to get the FBI to release all the names of their informants for purely legal defense purposes we totally swear for honest

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/10/oregon_standoff_trial_fridays.html

quote:

The FBI had 15 confidential sources feeding them information from their contacts with occupiers at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, a prosecutor confirmed in court Friday.

Ammon Bundy's lawyer Marcus Mumford is urging the court to compel prosecutors to identify their informants before the defense rests its case

Also, remember how the Bastard Bundy Bunch were originally planning on 'doing something' to Somali refugees? Weeeeeellllllllpppppppp........

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/14/us/mosque-attack-thwarted-kansas/index.html

quote:

Feds: Militia Plot Foiled
Three men face domestic terrorism charges for allegedly plotting to bomb an apartment complex occupied by Somali immigrants in southwest Kansas, the U.S. Department of Justice said Friday.
The men had talked about filling four vehicles with explosives and parking them at the four corners of the apartment complex in Garden City, Kansas, to create a large explosion, the DOJ said in a news release.

About 120 Somali immigrants live in the complex, CNN affiliate KWCH reported, and acting U.S. Attorney Tom Beall said one of the apartment units served as a mosque.
The trio, members of a militia group that called itself The Crusaders, wanted to "wake people up," the DOJ said. They were stockpiling weapons and planned to release a manifesto after the explosion, Beall said at a news conference.

"These charges are based on eight months of investigation by the FBI that is alleged to have taken the investigators deep into a hidden culture of hatred and violence," acting U.S. Attorney Tom Beall said. "Many Kansans may find it as startling as I do that such things could happen here."Curtis Allen and Gavin Wright, both 49, of Liberal, Kansas, and Patrick Eugene Stein, 47, of Wright, Kansas, were charged with conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction.
A confidential source attended meetings of The Crusaders and told the FBI about the men's plans, the DOJ said.

Stein met with an undercover FBI employee Oct. 12 and test-fired automatic weapons, the DOJ said. Stein took the source to the apartment building the men allegedly planned to bomb and said he would provide ammonium nitrate for the bomb and contribute $200 to $300 for other materials, the DOJ said.

Stein also mentioned that Allen had been arrested in a domestic violence case, causing Stein to worry Allen's girlfriend would talk to police about their plans, the DOJ said.
The men could be sentenced to life in prison, the DOJ said.

Garden City, a town of about 27,000 people, and Finney County have attracted immigrants for years because they can find work in the meatpacking factories, CNN reported in 2009.
Between 2007 and 2008, Finney County became majority-minority, the U.S. Census Bureau said.

Preliminary data from the Council on American-Islamic Relations indicates that 2016 is on track to be the second-worst year on record when it comes to mosque attacks in the United States. This year is barely trailing the record set last year: 78 mosques were attacked in 2015.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It seems like just about every attempted terrorist bombing gets foiled by someone contacting an FBI informant by accident. Are there any legit black market bomb component sellers out there or is the whole market just undercover agents?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

chitoryu12 posted:

It seems like just about every attempted terrorist bombing gets foiled by someone contacting an FBI informant by accident. Are there any legit black market bomb component sellers out there or is the whole market just undercover agents?

The feds are elbow deep in every facet of the darkweb and other places people might go for this type of stuff. Just look at all the various silk roads and their demise, for example.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The trio, members of a militia group that called itself The Crusaders, wanted to "wake people up," the DOJ said.

Jesus, guys, all you need is a megaphone or something!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Puppy Time posted:

Jesus, guys, all you need is a megaphone or something!

Hell, half the time the mosque will wake you up anyway!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Wasabi the J posted:

Hell, half the time the mosque will wake you up anyway!

ٍٱلصَّلاَةُ خَيْرٌ مِنَ ٱلنَّوم

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

The feds are elbow deep in every facet of the darkweb and other places people might go for this type of stuff. Just look at all the various silk roads and their demise, for example.

The best named one was operation Torpedo.

Tor

Pedo

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
holy crap that is good

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zopotantor posted:

ٍٱلصَّلاَةُ خَيْرٌ مِنَ ٱلنَّوم

As-salatu Khayrun Minan-nawm Prayer is better than sleep

hahaha gently caress, that's good. I never knew it was literally part of some prayers; still, I'm a kafir so my rear end ain't waking up for loudspeaker muezzin.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's also been some complaints of the FBI contacting people that they know are borderline and leading them into plans they wouldn't have already formulated.

Not saying that's the case here but it's worth keeping in mind.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

There's also been some complaints of the FBI contacting people that they know are borderline and leading them into plans they wouldn't have already formulated.

Not saying that's the case here but it's worth keeping in mind.

The most famous one I remember was the one with the "terrorists" who had this dumb rear end ideologue kid in a van and were like "push the button and blow up town hall or w/e" and he did and they were like PSYCH, FOOLED YOU, now you are under arrest.

Dumb kid never handled any explosives either, iirc*

That's kinda a weird way to go after terror

*someone correct me if I'm wrong I mean this is the internet and proving people wrong is most of the fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

On one hand, it comes close to prosecuting thoughtcrime. On the other, it's insanely easy to get an assault rifle and enough ammo to kill dozens of people before cops show up