Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Alcoholism: the final boss of chat threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Perhaps you're familiar. No, how could you be... But one day, you will post in this decrepit thread, without really knowing why.
Like a moth drawn to a flame, your eyes will burn in anguish. reply, after reply.
For that is your fate. The fate of the cursed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I got recommended that haedox guys vids and they all suck

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Snak posted:

yeah, and that's okay. But the old games don't stop being RPGs just because there is a new meaning. The Witcher 3 is an RPG. RPGs are most arguably about making choices. Now, in the modern sense, that choice almost always just "what stat do I upgrade?" But it's still the fact that you chose where to put the point that makes it an "RPG element". If you just had your stats improve across the board as you progressed through the game, people wouldn't really consider it an RPG.

Final Fantasy 4 and Final Fantasy 9 don't have that kind of choice but they do have equipment choices and I'd say they're still RPG's. I think "stats progression that has a meaningful impact on gameplay" is the line. I like when games give you more choice about progression or flexibility like skill trees and job systems but they're not necessary to the definition.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Was there ever a game released that basically replicated how combat works in D&D 4e?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Was there ever a game released that basically replicated how combat works in D&D 4e?

There was a facebook game. but it's gone

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Apparently if you have a YouTube channel and make a few videos about how lovely you think Activision are and how much you hate what they did to Crash and Spyro they will send you hundreds of dollars worth of toys for the newest Skylanders game in return.

What a country!

I'm jealous because I wish that activision would give me free poo poo but I really don't have anything I could make a video out of regarding their stuff so oh well

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bloodychill posted:

I think at this point, RPG has just become short-hand for "you get new skills, possibly gain levels." Yeah, it's not role-playing in the tabletop or MMO sense, but at some point we accepted stupid genre names and they stuck.

Its not even at this point; "RPG" has meant "Game with stats in" for a really long time.

Most RPGs do not actually have anything close to 'role playing', although there are several that do. (IMO Vampire: TM Bloodlines is one of the best attempts)

Monkey Fracas posted:

4th ed is already a videogame! :cheeky:

Seriously though 4E is pretty much taking D&D and making it more videogame like. All your abilities are just buttons to push.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Guys, I want to play XCOM: Enemy Within but I could never get past that mission with the chryssalids in the whale. What do I do?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

There was a facebook game. but it's gone

There was a hole here, it's gone now.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Monkey Fracas posted:

There was a game on PS360, but it was shite.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lizard Wizard posted:

Guys, I want to play XCOM: Enemy Within but I could never get past that mission with the chryssalids in the whale. What do I do?
Go slow and draw them out so you can gently caress them up as much as possible before they close in seems to be the general strategy

Also abuse explosions/AOEs as much as possible

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

4th ed is already a videogame! :cheeky:

Seriously though 4E is pretty much taking D&D and making it more videogame like. All your abilities are just buttons to push.

That's why it would translate so well! Bit late for that now though I guess

Healbot posted:

There was a game on PS360, but it was shite.

Ugh, welp.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's pretty sad that the one D&D edition with a consistent and working ruleset that would translate well to a video game doesn't get one

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Protip: if you want a D&D video game, you don't actually want D&D.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

I want both.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yup, which is why lots of people moved to Pathfinder.

4E is the very best D&D for somebody's first ever roleplaying experience. Then as soon as they're comfortable with the idea, you move on.

Personally I love White Wolf D10. Its just so simple compared to D20.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

4E is the very best D&D for somebody's first ever roleplaying experience. Then as soon as they're comfortable with the idea, you move on.

It's also the very best D&D if you want combat that isn't horseshit

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Zaphod42 posted:

Personally I love White Wolf D10. Its just so simple compared to D20.

There are 10 less D's, of course it's more simple.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bloodychill posted:

There are 10 less D's, of course it's more simple.

Its math!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Don't start one of those Dungeons and Dragons edition arguments in which one side keeps talking about recalcitrant grognards and one side talkes about system complexity as being bad for actual roleplaying; they're old and boring.

I do think it is very funny that Paizo took the Wizards marketing model and turned it on its head, almost stealing one of their major products out from under them, but both system designs have their flaws and their strengths and both companies have disgusting people working for them, so who cares?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Don't start one of those Dungeons and Dragons edition arguments in which one side keeps talking about recalcitrant grognards and one side talkes about system complexity as being bad for actual roleplaying; they're old and boring.

I do think it is very funny that Paizo took the Wizards marketing model and turned it on its head, almost stealing one of their major products out from under them, but both system designs have their flaws and their strengths and both companies have disgusting people working for them, so who cares?

Paizo doesn't really have disgusting people working for them and they are generally pretty good about lgbt and other minority stuff.

I don't like their game design but that really isn't a good reason to hate a company. WOTC on the other hand has literal MRAs as their advisors in 5e.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just think 4e's combat system would make a neato little SRPG is all

4e itself is kinda restrictive as an actual D&D game; simplicity for the sake of streamlining and all that

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Andrast posted:

I don't like their game design but that really isn't a good reason to hate a company. WOTC on the other hand has literal MRAs as their advisors in 5e.

Yeah, the 5e team definitely has some terrible people and I don't know what they were thinking. It doesn't seem to match the identity Wizards is trying to build as a brand, even if you consider the printed materials from the product itself.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Monkey Fracas posted:

I just think 4e's combat system would make a neato little SRPG is all

4e itself is kinda restrictive as an actual D&D game; simplicity for the sake of streamlining and all that

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_Tactics

3.5 though sorry

Also it's not very good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah, AD&D had a lot of old games based on it and 3.0 and 3.5 have lots of newer games based on them (like temple of elemental evil) but the point is 4.. I don't think it does.

Which is kinda funny since its so videogamey in its design.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Really, just have a good DM.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wizards is a really interesting company to watch because so much of what they do is built on niche interests that in theory should have a ton of competition, so they have to lean on brand. Like, with the proliferation of trading card mobile games, I liked watching Magic adjust. The online version sort of can't compete with the new games because the timing system for Magic makes digital versions really, really slow, so they actively worked on brand stuff and all of a sudden, people who didn't play the game are getting back into it.

I dunno, I like watching how the market works with nerd poo poo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The D&D license was stuck inside the dying shell of Atari when it was relevant so it never got games.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Really, just have a good DM.

Every DM has to start from somewhere and nobody is good without practice. Making it easy to DM is one of the biggest strengths of 4e since encounter building is easy, the classes are balanced and the combat rules make sense.

Not that I would recommend starting your DMing with any edition of D&D. There are many good and less mechanically heavy systems that are better to start with.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 14, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One of the only flaws about the great gift to us all that is video games is that, because are based around reaction times and assemble around a monitor, even a multiplayer game can be a bit difficult to arrange social events around in person. I look forward to the day technology allows me to install video games inside tables that do not involve manual dexterity, and what Charlie Brooker will be writing about them.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Both low-level 4E and 5E D&D are totally fine game systems to learn with. Older editions not so much.

If you and your friends are just starting out, the best game to learn is the one everybody's interested in. It doesn't even really matter if the game is amazing (since you're not going to be a great GM your first time anyway) or if you're doing it right (which you won't on your first time), what really matters is that everyone is motivated enough to get into it and try. Stuff with recognizable branding like D&D and Star Wars is good for that, and have multiple game systems so you can pick the best/most newbie friendly/newest/whatever version (and solicit lots of good advice about which version that is) instead of having to rifle through used bookstores for rules or run your whole game off of PDFs.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the best d&d is kotor, and kotor 2

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The best D&D is Dragons & Dogma

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Whatever D&D they play in Netflix drama, Stranger Things, gets my vote, which I assume is either some confusing second edition variant or non-existent.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Monkey Fracas posted:

In the video Game Super Mario Bros you Play the Role of Mario, a plumber who must save the princess from a giant evil turtle who has multiple boss forms and sits at the end of a donjon

"you fool"

he says

"this isn't even my final form"

then he starts throwing hammers at you and puts a block at the top of the room to make it harder for you to jump over him and touch the little axe thing

SMB: The First JRPG

Excuse me you only fight Bowser once. All the others are minions enchanted to resemble him.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Whatever D&D they play in Netflix drama, Stranger Things, gets my vote, which I assume is either some confusing second edition variant or non-existent.

Most likely 1st edition AD&D (2E wasn't out yet when Stranger Things is set), playing fast-and-loose with rules and narrative because they're kids.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

CJacobs posted:

The best D&D is Dragons & Dogma

Yes!!!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I've actually wanted to play d&d with my friends for a long time now, but we've just never gotten to setting up

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Gumshoe is the best system because watching your friends bundle their way through a murder mystery or x files investigation is funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

:parrot:

• Locked thread