Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Gejnor posted:

It doesn't seem to be working :negative:

Because I'm a bloody idiot and didn't read that it will launch the 20th alongside the King and the Warlords DLC :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gejnor posted:

It doesn't seem to be working :negative:

Continuing Chaos Talk, i had an idea about what CW's could do. Basically give them the Moon thing, call it something else, and then do this:
Remove the negatives from all choices, lower the positives.

As i see it, Chaos Warriors are supposed to be a neverending tide of metal and fire, not shying away from battles and going until they are utterly beaten or they win.

Beastmen are skittish and opportunistic, striking then fleeing.

This would be reflected in their "moon" system. For example, instead of having 50-100% replenishment with no horde growth as a consequence chaos warriors get a stable and significant replenishment with no consequence, say 20-30% or so. This means Chaos get stable good bonuses but not as good opportunistic ones as the Beastmen can get.

I think the best thing to do for Chaos would be to give them campaign bonuses in the form of favours, aspected to the different gods of course. Like, from the start of the game the gods will give you conflicting tasks and completing them gives your entire army some sort of boon for a few turns; eg Khorne wants you to sack a specific city; doing it gives you much greater replenishment for a few turns but locks you out of Tzeentch's request. Maybe have escalating tiers too, idk.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

I think the best thing to do for Chaos would be to give them campaign bonuses in the form of favours, aspected to the different gods of course. Like, from the start of the game the gods will give you conflicting tasks and completing them gives your entire army some sort of boon for a few turns; eg Khorne wants you to sack a specific city; doing it gives you much greater replenishment for a few turns but locks you out of Tzeentch's request. Maybe have escalating tiers too, idk.

I was thinking basing it around something we know works, the moon event, and expanding on it.

Another thing i thought of right now is that instead of a set amount of turns before you get your events, you trigger your 4 choice buffs (its perfect that its 4 choices for beastmen too, 4 chaos gods and all that) from winning battles, say win 3 battles and the next Favour event happens?

This means as Chaos you really want to seek out battles ASAP to get those buffs going! You'd have to balance the durations a bit so you can't permaspam them but it WOULD make Chaos much more interesting i think.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Angry Lobster posted:

Marauder Horsemasters, feral manticores and aspiring champions. Of all factions, it had to be Chaos.

Tbh, I don't see what Chaos has to gain from more expensive monsters, cavalry and infantry. All their problems are in making their powerful units cost-effective, and this doesn't really seem to solve that (at face value).

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

brocretin posted:

Tbh, I don't see what Chaos has to gain from more expensive monsters, cavalry and infantry. All their problems are in making their powerful units cost-effective, and this doesn't really seem to solve that (at face value).

I don't know about the Aspiring Champions, but the Horsemasters and Feral Manticore solve specific problems the Chaos faction has in MP and with general balance.

Horsemasters fill a gap between Hounds and Chaos Knights in their cavalry lineup. The faction needs some effective low-cost melee cavalry.

The Feral Manticore on the other hand gives Chaos a better option for fliers. If it's the same one the Lore of Beasts get, then this is a strong monster and Chaos will be able to take more than one at a time.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Some of the chaos units look like they got a pricedrop in the stream, might be remembering wrong though. Those Aspiring champions have really cool models too. Super tiny cheap 16 man squad of crazy good dudes, would probably be great mixed in with cheaper guys. Horsemasters are just expensive jav cav

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Triskelli posted:

Horsemasters fill a gap between Hounds and Chaos Knights in their cavalry lineup. The faction needs some effective low-cost melee cavalry.

The problem is that they are missile cavalry and don't seem good enough in melee, but to be honest maybe Darren didn't use them in the right way, who knows.

LemonAIDS posted:

Some of the chaos units look like they got a pricedrop in the stream, might be remembering wrong though. Those Aspiring champions have really cool models too. Super tiny cheap 16 man squad of crazy good dudes, would probably be great mixed in with cheaper guys. Horsemasters are just expensive jav cav

Also with vanguard deployment, and they have goot a huge amount of skulls in their models to fullfill the warhammer skull quota.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

LemonAIDS posted:

Pricedrop is huge, if true. I get the feeling Horsemasters might end up in the Outrider space where they're just good enough at range to be expensive, but not good enough in melee to be cost-effective. Hard to say until we get our grubby little hands on them :shrug:

Balanced be damned, those Aspiring Champions sound fun, though!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Triskelli posted:

-Marauder Horsemasters
-Aspiring Champions
-Feral Manticores

Oh HELL yes :black101:

Mordja posted:

I would love this from a flavor perspective.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Angry Lobster posted:

The problem is that they are missile cavalry and don't seem good enough in melee, but to be honest maybe Darren didn't use them in the right way, who knows.

Also with vanguard deployment, and they have goot a huge amount of skulls in their models to fullfill the warhammer skull quota.

Yeah the Aspiring champions are really pulling overtime in the skull department. They are covered in them.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Right now they are showing a Wuzzrag's quest battle with unique super squigs who explode on death and it's amazing :allears:

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Whatever your thoughts on Chaos getting new models it's really amazing for the big picture because it shows what they're going to be doing to flesh out the rosters without doing DLC for DLC. That's really encouraging since it means that should the Wood Elf or whatever DLC show up with roughly the same unit count as CotB that it will likely get fleshed out eventually via FLC.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

fnordcircle posted:

Whatever your thoughts on Chaos getting new models it's really amazing for the big picture because it shows what they're going to be doing to flesh out the rosters without doing DLC for DLC. That's really encouraging since it means that should the Wood Elf or whatever DLC show up with roughly the same unit count as CotB that it will likely get fleshed out eventually via FLC.

Yeah, this is exactly my thoughts on the matter. These new Chaos units are okay, nothing too exciting, but I really like what it bodes for the future.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Edit: nm literacy is for the weak

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
It is cool as gently caress that they're adding new units for factions we've already paid for.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Bubblegum Cop posted:

It is cool as gently caress that they're adding new units for factions we've already paid for.

You need to watch steam reviews more, you paid for an incomplete faction and now you have to pay extra for completing the faction, the price is also way too steep and really they should have included everything from the start, the base game was also too expensive despite buying the code from that shady Russian site you always use to escape VAT tax.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Games were about sixty bucks when I started buying them in the 80s, they're more or less sixty bucks now... and they've gotten a 'lil bit better since Jumpman and Qbert.

The internet would really be improved if the entirety of eastern Europe was banned from posting anything but mods.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
gotta be a real nasty skulker to release this on the same day that stellaris dlc is coming out

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013

Zudgemud posted:

You need to watch steam reviews more, you paid for an incomplete faction and now you have to pay extra for completing the faction, the price is also way too steep and really they should have included everything from the start, the base game was also too expensive despite buying the code from that shady Russian site you always use to escape VAT tax.

The new chaos units are being included as part of the FLC, not the DLC bud. Its actually kind of great to see, gives me some hope that the rumors beastman would be getting filled out more with the release of woodelves might actually be true.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Morbidmind posted:

The new chaos units are being included as part of the FLC, not the DLC bud. Its actually kind of great to see, gives me some hope that the rumors beastman would be getting filled out more with the release of woodelves might actually be true.

This reason and logic has no place in a steam review.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013

Fellblade posted:

This reason and logic has no place in a steam review.

I think I missed the sarcasm in the post I quoted. My bad, let me give my steam opinions on the game.

"Sega guts their products to sell scraps to the fanbase and have been doing it since the sonic and knuckles cartridge. Enough is enough, I for one am boycotting this product and for some reason think this will make a difference."

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial/v/94864389?t=01h06m40s

Here's the timestamp from the livestream for when they started showing new chaos units starting with Aspiring Champions

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Olive Branch vs. Trujillo - Battle Results for the Underdog Tournament

Much respect for Trujillo in this set of battles. Underestimate their micro at your peril!

Game 1: Dwarves (Olive Branch) vs. Beastmen (Trujillo) The closest fight of all, starring the pluckiest Cygor ever. All outbound Quarreler arrow flights canceled due to Centigors.
Game 2: Chaos (Olive Branch) vs. Greenskins (Trujillo) yuo aer liek stunty, 'ere we go boyz, start the waaaagh
Game 3: Beastmen (Olive Branch) vs. Bretonnia (Trujillo) Bretonnian lumberjacks find more than trees in the Blue Reach River. Minotaurs do a little lumberjacking of their own.
Game 4: Bretonnia (Olive Branch) vs. Vampire Counts (Trujillo) Filthy peasants rejoice, for a Bretonnian knight is your shield against the undead hordes! The Lady protects us, the Blood Knights defile us.
Total Result: Olive Branch 2 - 2 Trujillo

Click on the links for the appropriate replay file.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Olive Branch posted:

Olive Branch vs. Trujillo - Battle Results for the Underdog Tournament

Much respect for Trujillo in this set of battles. Underestimate their micro at your peril!

Game 1: Dwarves (Olive Branch) vs. Beastmen (Trujillo) The closest fight of all, starring the pluckiest Cygor ever. All outbound Quarreler arrow flights canceled due to Centigors.
Game 2: Chaos (Olive Branch) vs. Greenskins (Trujillo) yuo aer liek stunty, 'ere we go boyz, start the waaaagh
Game 3: Beastmen (Olive Branch) vs. Bretonnia (Trujillo) Bretonnian lumberjacks find more than trees in the Blue Reach River. Minotaurs do a little lumberjacking of their own.
Game 4: Bretonnia (Olive Branch) vs. Vampire Counts (Trujillo) Filthy peasants rejoice, for a Bretonnian knight is your shield against the undead hordes! The Lady protects us, the Blood Knights defile us.
Total Result: Olive Branch 2 - 2 Trujillo

Just want to say I appreciate you guys posting these. They're fun to watch :)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So are the Horsemaster and the Aspiring Champions pretty much just made up whole-cloth? I can't find anything on the first one, and the latter only seems to exist in 40k. Surprised at GW's flexibility, considering how they usually get about anything altering their IP.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Mordja posted:

So are the Horsemaster and the Aspiring Champions pretty much just made up whole-cloth? I can't find anything on the first one, and the latter only seems to exist in 40k. Surprised at GW's flexibility, considering how they usually get about anything altering their IP.

They are made up, yeah, but I doubt GW even cares about such small detail, considering they blow up the Warhammer Fantasy setting and it doesn't even exist anymore. Actually, I'm quite surprised how faithful CA has been to the lore.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Like the Goblin Nasty Skulkers and the Trollhammer Torpedo Irondrakes, the Horsemasters and Aspiring Champions are technically an upgrade you could purchase for units, and weren't really their own thing like how Total War has implemented them.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Skarsnik and Wurrzag coop campaign :swoon:

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Choosing between playing Wurrzag first or Skarsnik first may be too much for me to handle.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Mordja posted:

I think those are old edition names for the unit leaders for the mounted mauraders and chaos warriors. You couldn't take them by themselves or units of them, but they were just slightly stronger versions of their normal unit versions.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Aspiring Champions are(were?) actually a Hero choice for Chaos Warriors - just a lesser version of Exalted Champions. Pretty sure they were your only option for a potential Battle Standard Bearer, for one. Them forming into units together is completely whole-cloth though, and obviously somewhat against the lore too - by the time you've reached that level of prestige with the Chaos gods, you're actively in competition with other champions, and thus working as a unit with multiple others would be strange as hell.

edit: To confirm, this is not an objection or complaint about the new unit. For the purpose of filling in holes in the roster lore violations are okay, but just noting it.

There ARE still a few units missing from the Chaos roster though, most notably Warshrines, Chimeras, Slaughterbeasts(?), Mutalith Vortex Beasts(???) and Daemon Princes (which actually have always been available to mortal Chaos, in addition to Daemonic armies).

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 15, 2016

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
There are actually a lot of things they could do with Chaos unit wise. It isn't just ridiculously over the top badass heavy metal warriors of various evil gods charging into battle from the grim cold of the north. It's the subtle cultists working from within civilization. It's the discontent (IE: Public order?) in the populace leading them to make extremely poor lifestyle choices. It's the merchant that is willing to commune with something dark and foul to make just a bit more coin.

There's an entire spectrum to several factions that's all about subtlety. Skaven have their infiltration, Chaos has it's subversion of normal people, the Empire has the witch hunters, and the VC's have Lahmians. Which are basically all of that rolled into one undead package at the cost of having a very concentrated and elitist/high cost type of army given how they're written.

I'm hoping that now that they're adding in new factions to play as we can get an expansion or something that adds that sort of stuff in. Because holy poo poo the idea of being able to play as a subtle sort of faction or even a faction within the big faction would be insane.

As a side note, are there any mods out that remove the passive modifiers from Kislev and The Border Princes? Steel Faith does this but I can't find anything on the workshop. Having them be active would be nice since i'm using a bunch of mods to give them their own unique faction.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 15, 2016

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Lahmians and Chaos cultists could be fun sub-factions for the Empire, actually. At the core, mostly Empire-ish, and you get to choose when to pursue techs for late-game Chaos/undead units which are powerful but also drop the ruse that you're one of the good guys. Swordsmen and outriders until, bam, crazy mobs of cultists and daemons.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

So what are the other three free units CA you piece of poo poo I swear I won't preorder this

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Olive Branch vs. Thanqol - Battle Results for the Underdog Tournament

Thanqol told me this was the first time they have ever played Warhammer multiplayer, and I am honored to have been the first opponent they've faced! So, how did our Crusader Kings poet laureate fare in ground combat instead of diplomacy and grand strategy?

Game 1: Dwarfs (Olive Branch) vs. Chaos (Thanqol) Grudges were settled despite Dwarven skulls getting ground under chariot wheels and popped open by screaming demonic hellfire.
Game 2: Beastmen (Olive Branch) vs. Greenskins (Thanqol) The Battle of Koom Valley has nothing on this fight. Goblins and gors battle it out for their masters.
Game 3: Bretonnia (Olive Branch) vs. Dwarfs (Thanqol) My Little Pony meets the Lord of the Rings with unpredictable results.
Game 4: Chaos (Olive Branch) vs. Empire (Thanqol) BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!
Total Result: Olive Branch 4 - 0 Thanqol

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Korgan posted:

So what are the other three free units CA you piece of poo poo I swear I won't preorder this

Wait, are there more?

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

It's just 3 units. The picture that announced it has a & that looks a lot like a 6 and a ton of people think there's 6

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Archonex posted:

Wait, are there more?

A bunch of people misread an ampersand as a 6 in the free units announcement apparently. Thanks confusing reddit idiocy.

e;fb

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lassitude posted:

Lahmians and Chaos cultists could be fun sub-factions for the Empire, actually. At the core, mostly Empire-ish, and you get to choose when to pursue techs for late-game Chaos/undead units which are powerful but also drop the ruse that you're one of the good guys. Swordsmen and outriders until, bam, crazy mobs of cultists and daemons.

The Lahmians actually run the Empire's intelligence service and have fully infiltrated the Sisters of Sigmar. Nobody knows this, they think the woman who runs intelligence has an excellent cover as a dilettante. Most of the magical relics in the Empire that can benefit a vampire in any way can be sorted into two categories, the ones Neferata stole or the ones she's working on stealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

LemonAIDS posted:

It's just 3 units. The picture that announced it has a & that looks a lot like a 6 and a ton of people think there's 6

That's hilarious.

Good job CA, looking forward to Wurrzag and Skarsnik funtimes.

• Locked thread