Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If they give Normal and Savage different stories it will kill the game.

EDIT: Also just read they plan to up the minimum specs for the game? Kinda hope that doesn't bite them in the butt. I can run comfortably at 60FPS on max settings except for a few seconds as everyone loads in when you teleport to Limsa, but my wifes PC is markedly less powerful than mine and drops way below 60FPS from time to time. I'm sure there are people with even worse rigs running the game, and increases in the specs could run them out.

WoW is as successful as it is for a lot of reasons, but one of them is because you can run that game on a toaster. I agree it was in their best interests to kill support for PS3 because developing for cross platform is probably not worth it at this point, but I hope they keep in mind that a lot of their playerbase is probably not running the game at max settings with a custom rig from New Egg Dot Com.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, it was pretty clear that some of the designs were rejected because they were too complex for the rendering team to put out in a timely fashion or too visually busy, and that one in particular wasn't one of those, and since the WoL in the teaser has a fairly similar armor aesthetic wise it can't be because they didn't like it, unlike some of the other armors they rejected. So we're left with 'this looks too much like a thing we're already doing'.

Whether that means it'll be a tank armor remains to be seen, of course, but I've liked pretty much every armor/clothing set they've produced aside from the 1.0 leftovers and the primal themed sets, and I've usually thought the art team's tank armors were especially good.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Verranicus posted:

a custom rig from New Egg Dot Com.

Nice!

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Verranicus posted:

If they give Normal and Savage different stories it will kill the game.

EDIT: Also just read they plan to up the minimum specs for the game? Kinda hope that doesn't bite them in the butt. I can run comfortably at 60FPS on max settings except for a few seconds as everyone loads in when you teleport to Limsa, but my wifes PC is markedly less powerful than mine and drops way below 60FPS from time to time. I'm sure there are people with even worse rigs running the game, and increases in the specs could run them out.

WoW is as successful as it is for a lot of reasons, but one of them is because you can run that game on a toaster. I agree it was in their best interests to kill support for PS3 because developing for cross platform is probably not worth it at this point, but I hope they keep in mind that a lot of their playerbase is probably not running the game at max settings with a custom rig from New Egg Dot Com.

How good a computer do you need to get before your posts get better

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Someone asked earlier about dragoon crits: I haven't broke 10k quite yet with jump at i251 with some overmelds, Sophia spear, and the Alex gloves. I've hit 9800 so I should break it anytime now.

I'll need the 260 weapon to get full thrust over 10k though.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

My forbidden chakra crits have started to break 10k depending on buffs/debuffs the rest of my raid group puts up. It's pretty nice to finally join the big boy numbers club.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

https://t.co/T2jcZbaQVJ

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Bleu posted:

How good a computer do you need to get before your posts get better

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

I hope that Savage gets its own story, but it's just a cracked out fanfic of Normal mode's story because it's the Minstrel retelling it. Bonuses for ridiculous joke options like in the Rising event.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Also, while the guy in the trailer might just be the Derplander again, he really bears a strong resemblance in it to pro wrestler Finn Balor.

Suplex move confirmed?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They didn't really commit to anything, sounded like they were just trying to get a baseline for what people might want but

- They sounded like it might not be just one style, aka just Coil or Alex
- They floated the idea of Story, Normal, Savage and Savage+. No one there seemed into the Story mode idea, people cheered loudly for even harder mode. He seemed to hint that Savage+ would be on the .X5 where Savage is .X
- They also floated Savage and Normal having different stories.
- Very "Final Fantasy"

I think it'd be pretty great if Savage, by dint of generally being an exaggerated version of events, is just full comedy and has a bunch of goofy stuff that happens.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Obligatum VII posted:

I think it'd be pretty great if Savage, by dint of generally being an exaggerated version of events, is just full comedy and has a bunch of goofy stuff that happens.

That might actually get me to play Savage, if they go that way.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Obligatum VII posted:

The comedy in, say, A8 and A10 is actually pretty appreciated in what was theme-wise an insanely boring raid tier of robots. They may as well go whole hog with it.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
If they DO add dancer and it does not have the Mamool Ja dance, I will riot. If it's in and doesn't have a giant censor bar as its animation, I won't riot but I will be disappointed.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Obligatum VII posted:

If they DO add dancer and it does not have the Mamool Ja dance, I will riot. If it's in and doesn't have a giant censor bar as its animation, I won't riot but I will be disappointed.

Part of the class quests should be beating up that one FATE starter npc in Camp Bronze Lake.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Giving Savage raids story the others don't have is like the worst possible idea, lol.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Okay, so how much is the Odin figure???

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hi, has anyone compiled a quick list of all the announced changes? I am extremely excited!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm still not understanding why I can't use the W Crossbar

PC with xbox 360 controller

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Liver Disaster posted:

They obviously main Paladin, which is unfortunate.

Not even sure how he's so confident in saying the other two tanks are bad. Maybe he's just poo poo at video games?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mazed posted:

Suplex move confirmed?

Suplex is reserved for manderville LB, sorry!

Griz
May 21, 2001

Grondoth posted:

Hi I left cause I couldn't buy a house and because of the red and blue seal things for crafters

Did either of those get any better

red scrip is easy now, most of the crafter mats are dirt cheap because of maps/aquapolis and gatherer only requires 5 rounds a week of a 6 minute cycle that comes up every half hour.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Lemon-Lime posted:

Okay, so how much is the Odin figure???

$150

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

I'm still not understanding why I can't use the W Crossbar

PC with xbox 360 controller

That menu option is for getting a third W crossbar by double tapping both shoulder buttons. I don't remember where the real menu option is, but keep looking.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

This is neat and all but I can't justify the cost of that statue or have a place to put it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hi, has anyone compiled a quick list of all the announced changes? I am extremely excited!

Stealing the list from reddit's FFXIV page.

-Stormblood will explore Ala Mihgo
-Main focus is to regain control of Ala Mihgo from the Garlean Empire
-20 years have passed since Garleans have had control
-Main atagonist to be Zenos Yae Galvus, XIIth Legion Legatus and de facto ruler of Ala Mihgo
-Woman depicted in trailer to potentially be revealed in future 3.X patch
-Warrior of Light's main job in 4.0 is Monk (akin to DRG for 3.0)
-Area shown in teaser trailer is Rhalgr's Reach, the HQ of Ala Migho's main resistance.
-Multiple new jobs to be discussed at future date
-Yoshi-P wore a t-shirt of Marvel's Scarlet Witch, said that was the only hint he'd give at this time
-New Level Cap: 70 (for all classes)
-More actions for each job to go with new cap
-Revamped battle system to go with new actions
-Additional Skill System to be overhauled, with skills shared by roles instead of jobs, and can choose from shared role ability options
-Reassessment of unused/ineffective actions
-Example used is Dragoon's Blood of the Dragon buff, where in 4.0 an icon/gauge showing how much time is left will be better visible on screen so players aren't just staring at the current icon
-New Areas to be introduced, comparable in size to Heavensward areas
-Stormblood will be a full standalone game's worth of content
-New Primals to be introduced, including known names and all-new original-to-FF14 ones.
-New Dungeons to be introduced with new battle and dungeon concepts to be introduced
-High-End Raids to also be added, with possibility of different story depending on difficulty, with normal on odd patches, savage on even (NOTE: I may have transcribed this backwards. Please look forward to more information on it).
-New Alliance Raids to be added. Big news, but will wait until Tokyo Fan Fest, but will be, "very, very Final Fantasy"
-Expanded form of Exploration to be introduced: The Forbidden Land of Eureka (they really like FF3!), something different from Diadem and will expand its own entire area, unique to Stormblood. There might even be Notorious Monsters that only appear once every 72 hours.
-Eureka may also be used for next set of high-end weapons, akin to Relic/Anima, rather than upgrades in "normal areas."
-New Gear and Recipes, including winners of Fan's Gear Design Contest
-Item Inventory Exansion (this got the biggest cheers so far), looking to increase "as much as humanly possible." There is uncertainty in how this will be implemented due to the server needs, and it will be addressed in a future Live Letter
-A 4th Residential Area to be added. Where? "Sorry, can't tell ya."
-In-game footage of new areas shown
-Screenshots now being shown of new areas
-Indications are that Ala Mihgo is crossed via a wall in The Black Shroud, which will be shown in Patch 3.5. Yoshi joked that Dragoon Jump won't work to scale the wall, but that ----The Warrior of Light has a lot of practice falling off of things.
-Ala Mihgo will not be just deserts and wasteland. Forests are also part of it.
-All areas of 4.0 will be accessible by flying mounts, but there was an indication that it will again by quest-based like in 3.0. At groans from the audience, Yoshi said it will be easier than Moogle Quests.
-That's all the information for now from this keynote. More information will be released in other Fan Fests elsewhere, Live Letters, and so forth. "This is just the start." Yoshi teases he wants to say more everytime the audience cheers, but then he'd be dead and Stormblood wouldn't come out.
-Two final announcements:
1) Changes to Windows version Minimum Specs requirements. Current minimum specs are geared towards components you can't even buy anymore. So, for the best gaming experience possible, they've decided to raise their minimum specs. "If possible, maybe upgrade to 64-bit OS" but they will still support 32-bit. They just suggest 64-bit will be best gaming experience.
2) End of PlayStation 3 support. This got the second biggest cheers. They've been examining numbers and have seen a large migration of PS3 to PS4 so they have decided it is the right time to end PS3 support. To show appreciation to their PS3 fans that helped them get to where they are now, there will be a special FREE PS3 to PS4 upgrade campaign.
Keynote ends with Yoshi saying, in English, "Please look forward to it."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I forgot how long it takes to download this. I was hoping to play tonight :negative:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If scarlet witch isn't a hint to red mage then I have no idea what else it could be.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

If scarlet witch isn't a hint to red mage then I have no idea what else it could be.

Maybe he was hinting more at the type of powers she has in Age of Ultron and the job is actually Psychic.

But, uh, my money's on Red Mage. Hasn't YoshiP been on record as really wanting to work it in at some point?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Robo Reagan posted:

Watch and it's like the Bond shirt and MCH, something everybody just jumped to the wrong conclusion on.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
A power outage made this hilariously late but oh well.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Remember that none of the Jobs in Heavensward are directly tied to Ishgard.

MCH is the one closest tied to Ishgard but it's pretty much just a logical progression based on their Dragonkiller Harpoon cannons. Also because Cid's too busy doing Cid things to teach every WoL shmuck how to shoot a gun.

Harrow posted:

I keep forgetting I'm going to need to level both MNK and DRG to at least a certain point to get cross-class abilities for each, so I'll be trying them each out either way. MNK clearly seems to be love-it-or-hate-it so I'm sure I'll develop an opinion one way or another.

MNK is fun. A DNC and MNK facing off in the trailer makes a ton of sense (and probably hints at their playstyle) because MNK is all about getting into a rhythm and then keeping that rhythm going until something dies or you run out of TP. It's more positional heavy than DRG, doesn't put out big numbers like DRG but it puts out way, way more numbers than DRG.

It's also more important to keep your buffs and debuffs up, as Greased Lightning is pretty much the strongest damage buff in the game bar none. At higher end content a lot of what makes a good MNK become a great MNK is being able to maintain/recover Greased Lightning stacks quickly despite boss immunity/jumping/phase transition stuff.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Holy crap this armor does not work on a non-bigsmclargehuge character.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

SL the Pyro posted:

Holy crap this armor does not work on a non-bigsmclargehuge character.

Why are you cosplaying as my TBC warrior.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's also more important to keep your buffs and debuffs up, as Greased Lightning is pretty much the strongest damage buff in the game bar none. At higher end content a lot of what makes a good MNK become a great MNK is being able to maintain/recover Greased Lightning stacks quickly despite boss immunity/jumping/phase transition stuff.

Man, this reminds me of something I hope they fix in Stormblood about MNK is to make Chakra interact better with their other abilities and weaponskills. I'm not sure how I would do it, maybe let you burn Chakra stacks for Greased Lightning on a cooldown, or perhaps a stance situation like WAR. At the very least there should be a way to build Chakra without blowing GCDs and the resulting huge DPS loss if you're not timing boss phases correctly

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Soken is about to drop some new beats on us.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm down with piano Answers.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
gently caress off Dragoons it's time for the Monk expansion. :getin:

Thundarr posted:

No more ps3, madness ensues.

I'm a little surprised it's coming with 4.0 but since Sony's 10 year plan for the PS3 is almost up it makes sense, as official PS3 support (let alone sales) will cease to be a thing during Stormblood if not before it.

Brainamp posted:

You have the best 1-30 teacher and then you become a goku.

60-70's storyline needs to kill off the insufferable monk NPCs and bring back Holyfist.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

60-70's storyline needs to kill off the insufferable monk NPCs and bring back Holyfist.

Hamon Holyfist is the the Master Roshi to WoL's Goku. So yeah he should be popping up from time to time just because he can.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
There are people posting that the reveals have been disappointing because not enough people cheered in the audience at the keynote event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Robo Reagan posted:

Mordiceius posted:

From Reddit regarding the Scarlet Witch/Red Mage speculation:

I think you're underthinking this. Hear me out: * Scarlet Witch is the daughter of Magneto * Magneto is the master of Magnetism * In FFIV, the Dark Elf lived in a magnetic cave * Drizzt Do'Urden is a Dark Elf Ranger * Aragorn, son of Arathorn, is the King of the Rangers * Aragorn was a friend of Gandalf the Grey * Gandalf was a partner of the two Blue Wizards, who went into the East and were never seen again * Ala Mhigo is to the East * Blue Mage job confirmed!

• Locked thread