Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fleshweasel posted:

1. install visual studio
2. read jon skeet's book or some poo poo, idk
3. profit

Shaggar posted:

don't drop it! haha! but for real install vs community and do some mvc and webapi.

alright, cheers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

don't install vs code, btw

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

HoboMan posted:

i do my rust programming in vs code, seems okay. i like it more than st3 (except for general non-code text editing - export EDITOR='subl -w' bitch)

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

HoboMan posted:

i think vs code is pretty okay, what's your problem with it?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
friend of mine runs vs code on linux, and uses a windows phone

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

ms's website for it is pretty unclear on what the gently caress it actually is which led me to mistakenly install it when i was trying to learn c#

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

qntm posted:

friend of mine runs vs code on linux, and uses a windows phone

nice try, you almost had me until the last two words

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HoboMan posted:

i've got visual studio community 2015, not sure what vs code even is

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
We're interviewing candidates for software engineer, and the guy asked what js framework we use on the frontend. I chuckled a bit and told him we don't use any js framework other than a bespoke js architecture called "bring in the dump truck and spread that poo poo all over". The hiring manager and the VP of software dev got a good laugh but there was a little bit of "maybe you don't have to be THAT honest."

Well, he asked about our js and I told him. Sorry, not sorry. Since this candidate would be working on my team that maintains a legacy shithouse of code that was brought in through acquisition, I don't want some chucklefuck that dreams about building the perfect Angular 2.0 app (which he actually said in the interview). You'll never ever ever get to build an Angular app in this shitpile so just go somewhere else, imo.

Anyway, he kind of choked on the whiteboard portion of the interview, anyway. Not because he got wrong answers or anything (questions are about the same difficulty level as FizzBuzz), but because he showed an amazing lack of attention to detail.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

One day, someone at MS started making GBS threads their pants because they noticed that text editors like Atom, Sublime, etc. were gaining popularity on Windows and weren't the exclusive territory of Mac/Linux devs anymore. So, they built their own extensible text editor (basically a copy of Sublime in MANY ways). Thus, VS code is born. It's for people that don't want to fire up a whole freaking IDE just to edit some lovely nodejs script.

simble
May 11, 2004

i thought vs code was literally based on atom?

edit: Visual Studio Code is based on Electron, a framework which is used to deploy Node.js applications for the desktop running on Blink layout engine. Although it also uses the Electron framework, the software is not a fork of Atom, and is actually based on Visual Studio Online's editor (codename "Monaco").[7]

thanks wikipedia

edit2: "Electron, a framework which is used to deploy Node.js applications for the desktop running on Blink layout engine." hah what the actual gently caress?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ive read that electron is popular for indie game dev, you just cobble thing up in html/js/haxe/whateversomethingwebtech, and then bundle it up in an executable file with electron, presumably to avoid x-browser incompatibilities

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HoboMan posted:

idk how youd even do that. its linux only, isn't it?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

its a text editor for linux

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

idk how youd even do that. its linux only, isn't it?
no, win/.deb/.rpm/mac

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i've been using vs as my "poo poo why wont emacs let me paste this" editor and it suits that need

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I refuse to use a non-IDE dumb text editor that consumes 400 odd MB of memory just on principle

Surely there must be some end to this madness

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
so basically it's emacs but with javascript instead of lisp?

sounds both bad and pointless

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i mean vs code is ok to pretty good if your language don't have a proper ide

so god help you if you think it would be useful

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Finster Dexter posted:

We're interviewing candidates for software engineer, and the guy asked what js framework we use on the frontend. I chuckled a bit and told him we don't use any js framework other than a bespoke js architecture called "bring in the dump truck and spread that poo poo all over". The hiring manager and the VP of software dev got a good laugh but there was a little bit of "maybe you don't have to be THAT honest."

Well, he asked about our js and I told him. Sorry, not sorry. Since this candidate would be working on my team that maintains a legacy shithouse of code that was brought in through acquisition, I don't want some chucklefuck that dreams about building the perfect Angular 2.0 app (which he actually said in the interview). You'll never ever ever get to build an Angular app in this shitpile so just go somewhere else, imo.

Anyway, he kind of choked on the whiteboard portion of the interview, anyway. Not because he got wrong answers or anything (questions are about the same difficulty level as FizzBuzz), but because he showed an amazing lack of attention to detail.

so you want a js dev who is decent and pays attention, but you want him to see no problem in working on a dogshit legacy codebase that will never improve? good luck with that

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
what's the state of built-in resharper-like features in VS these days? we got resharper at work and i'm too lazy to spin up a project at home to see what's out of the box in VS community

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

JewKiller 3000 posted:

so you want a js dev who is decent and pays attention, but you want him to see no problem in working on a dogshit legacy codebase that will never improve? good luck with that

lol I never said anything about wanting js devs. The position is for a .NET dev.

But yeah, you're otherwise 100% right. Hence why I've been looking for some good remote work

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

im just trapped in a personal hell of evershifting goalposts. my tl told me straight up that he feels like this process is exploitative and he doesn't blame me if i'm looking for other work.

tbqh it helps a lot if you start out as a dev

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Finster Dexter posted:

lol I never said anything about wanting js devs. The position is for a .NET dev.

well considering your post said js 4 times, angular twice, and .net not at all, i suggest you make sure your job posting is less confusing to candidates than your yospos posting

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

"kids today are so lazy they don't even want to write for loops"

how about now

(this is what at least some people on golang-nuts actually believe)

just a reminder that this was rob pike's response to being asked why go collections dont have map or filter

quote:

The modern programmer thinks a newline is a thousand times harder to
type than any other character. If instead you take a newline as only
one keystroke, which it is, the fact that your program might not fit
on one line is a bearable burden.

-rob
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/golang-nuts/RKymTuSCHS0

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

rob pike seems completely insufferable.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

imagine this post is the "am I out of touch, no it's the children who are wrong" skinner meme but with rob pike's face on it

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
imo he's not wrong. programmers are apparently deathly afraid of whitespace and it's stupid.

but broken clock, etc. rob pike is a douche.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
even his exaggerated strawman is closer to being accurate than his own position

("how much of your program can fit on your screen at once" is a relevant metric. a newline consumes a whole line of screen space, while any other character consumes ~1/100th of a line, depending on how sane you are with line breaks)

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
i mean, the real problem with his argument is that the reason people prefer map/filter/reduce over for loops has nothing to do with whitespace or vertical spacing or whatever, so he clearly doesn't understand why people are using these features

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

I refuse to use a non-IDE dumb text editor that consumes 400 odd MB of memory just on principle

Surely there must be some end to this madness

Soricidus posted:

so basically it's emacs but with javascript instead of lisp?

sounds both bad and pointless
The memory usage is kind of absurd but Atom and vs code are IMO good in that they allow people to add support for languages very easily, similar to emacs, but have excellent cross-platform support and provide an interface that's more like a modern ide. Obviously if you're using c# or Java there are better ides.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

JewKiller 3000 posted:

well considering your post said js 4 times, angular twice, and .net not at all, i suggest you make sure your job posting is less confusing to candidates than your yospos posting

wow you're sassy

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

mystes posted:

The memory usage is kind of absurd but Atom and vs code are IMO good in that they allow people to add support for languages very easily, similar to emacs, but have excellent cross-platform support and provide an interface that's more like a modern ide. Obviously if you're using c# or Java there are better ides.

yeah, i keep vs code around because it's a fine enough way to edit sql or config files and because i occasionally have to touch classic asp (i know) and there's an alright plugin for it.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Blinkz0rz posted:

imo he's not wrong. programmers are apparently deathly afraid of whitespace and it's stupid.

but broken clock, etc. rob pike is a douche.

programmers are the worst and good language design these days amounts to saving them from themselves

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Plank Walker posted:

programmers are the worst and good language design these days amounts to saving them from themselves

agreed

this is why java is the best programming language for the vast majority of programming tasks

(the remaining programming tasks usually involve code running inside browsers. rip)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

jony neuemonic posted:

yeah, i keep vs code around because it's a fine enough way to edit sql or config files and because i occasionally have to touch classic asp (i know) and there's an alright plugin for it.

ssms or bust imo

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
atom is surprisingly good imo. i don't ever notice it using memory because i don't look at my memory usage. the plugins are usually p good and it tends to be a lot simpler than janitoring my goddamn emacs everytime piece of poo poo spacemacs updates and breaks some stupid poo poo.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
atom is good. vscode is better. don't use atom unless some package you need isn't available with vscode.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

reason GEM sucks #4384237423: to save money, Atari and DRI worked to squeeze TOS into the smallest possible space. the original target was 128KB, then 192KB when they found that was totally infeasible. the Amiga had 256KB of ROM plus a Workbench floppy, the Mac had 64KB of ROM and a System floppy, the ST crammed an entire graphical operating system into 192KB. one of the many tradeoffs was that VDI, the layer that handles graphics primitives, was optimized to be as small as possible rather than as fast as possible.

like i mentioned before, the reason TOS only supported monospaced fonts and three screen modes was because one whole component of VDI, GDOS, was removed to make the OS smaller. you had to get your own GDOS module from a commercial vendor (or pirate the one included with word processing programs) which provided the missing routines for use by VDI - and the official Atari GDOS.PRG was only 8KB!

with or without GDOS, VDI was *extremely* slow. the Mac and Amiga 1000 were snappy, but the ST was unbearably slow in many graphics operations. programmers recommended things like aligning UI elements on word boundaries to squeeze any little speed increase you could out of it. people with serious skills would just replace VDI methods with their own, or ignore VDI entirely and access screen memory directly like most games did.

taking advantage of this, several companies released screen accelerators. they were TSRs that hooked the various VDI routines and redirected them to highly-optimized routines in RAM rather than the ones in ROM. this meant that the process was invisible to applications - so any application that used VDI graphical routines automatically took advantage of the speedup! of course games were mostly incompatible with accelerators since they used all kinds of software tricks, and a few applications broke, but for most users and applications it was like a whole new computer.

i dug up some screen accelerators for my 1040ST's boot disk. it looks like there were three big ones: NVDI, Turbo ST, and Warp 9. I don't have a hard disk so NVDI, which shipped on several floppies and included a zillion fonts (plus the ability to use TrueType fonts, according to various forums) and printer drivers, was out. I tried Warp 9, which benchmarks at the time said was slightly faster than Turbo ST, but Warp 9 doesn't seem to like TOS 1.04 and crashed my system on boot. this meant i was left with Turbo ST.

finding a working copy of Turbo ST was an adventure through ancient warez disks. eventually I found a self-extracting file named TURBOST.APP in one of the Pompey Pirates disks - jackpot! extracted it to my ramdisk and made a backup of the contents - a full copy of Turbo ST and all its utilities. i was also greeted by a README with a little change:

quote:

pre:
                               TURBO ST
                       Copyright 1998-90 SofTrek
                    Version 1.84  18 December, 1990
                    ===============================

Thank you for pirating Turbo ST.  We hope you enjoy using it.

how fast is it, though? I booted up GEMBench and benchmarked my system without an accelerator and with Turbo ST running:

yeah. with nothing but a 50KB TSR, I've got a pretty good speedup in the GEM desktop and my other desktop applications. it's much faster and responsive now, windows opening instantly. combined with a disk caching TSR I grabbed, this machine is getting pretty speedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i use vs2015 enterprise and have 32gb of ram to open all the solutions i need

• Locked thread