Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I've never seen Glenn Danzig in a tailored suit before.

Also, Lon Chaney-style "wolfman" werewolves look fine plantigrade. Full on wolf-head werewolves just look silly unless they're digitigrade. Not that that's the only silly thing going on in that image.

e: Perhaps By Night Studios should option Danzig as a model. I think he'd fit in well.

Mushika fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

A frieend of mine who is really good at cosplay is apparently the nuwisha. His photo looks p good imo

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion: 246k. Bestiary achieved.

Next up, one more anthology story at 250k.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Tumblr is posting more art from the MET books if anyone's interested.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Wasn't this guy in Mortal Kombat?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rubix Squid posted:

Wasn't this guy in Mortal Kombat?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightwolf

Yeah, pretty much.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
It's like the artwork for a calendar with a different 90's ethnic stereotype for each month.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So do they have a leatherman, a construction worker and a sailor?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Mors Rattus posted:

So do they have a leatherman, a construction worker and a sailor?

You just know that Gurahl moonlights as a leather-daddy.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Simian_Prime posted:

You just know that Gurahl moonlights as a leather-daddy.

The best part is that when BNS posted it they spelled it "Ghural"

Also he appears to be getting longer legs and shorter arms which..isn't..how bears work.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Sure is a good thing OWOD is here to counterbalance all this good Scion 2E news. Can't get TOO positive :suicide:

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
If we could just get Paradox to take Beast and, like, two thirds of Exalted, we could just cleanly split the companies into Good White Wolf and Evil White Wolf and be done with it.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Doc Aquatic posted:

If we could just get Paradox to take Beast and, like, two thirds of Exalted, we could just cleanly split the companies into Good White Wolf and Evil White Wolf and be done with it.

I remember when we were all optimistic about paradox buying white wolf, how naive we all were.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion update: 247k

New stretch goals:

255k: the Companion PDF will include expanded Relic rules, with more options, examples and alternate systems to create Relics IC and OOC.
260k: Another story for the fiction anthology, for a total of 8.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

hangedman1984 posted:

I remember when we were all optimistic about paradox buying white wolf, how naive we all were.

I think because when paradox bought things we were expecting "Vampire Kings 2", "Werewolf Universalis", and "Mageika" not a shrine to all the worst excesses of Mark Rein Hagen and a vampire branded pinball game.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Beast, I think, is a pretty sincere attempt to capture what morally good people want in an rpg (default positive regard for the less privileged, strident condemnation of problematic people/thoughts, an understanding that cis-white-males and their patriarchy is malevolent), but did it in a way that made Beasts not unambiguously good and Heroes not unambiguously evil.

I can't help but feel that a perfected version of Beast will work harder to affirm its message by: eliminating any possibility of empathizing with Heroes and sticking closer to those three tenets above.

I mean, just add a mechanic about making important forum posts and you'll have the rpg form of many of our own subforums. Beast is all about missed opportunities.

Kurieg posted:

I think because when paradox bought things we were expecting "Vampire Kings 2", "Werewolf Universalis", and "Mageika" not a shrine to all the worst excesses of Mark Rein Hagen and a vampire branded pinball game.

I would figuratively murder for a CK2 style game with Exalted's setting. There are already Elder Scrolls and Last Airbender mods, along with a lot of other games. It's already incredibly doable.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 15, 2016

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Kurieg posted:

"Mageika"
You just gave Ferrinus a heart attack.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

Beast, I think, is a pretty sincere attempt to capture what morally good people want in an rpg (default positive regard for the less privileged, strident condemnation of problematic people/thoughts, an understanding that cis-white-males and their patriarchy is malevolent), but did it in a way that made Beasts not unambiguously good and Heroes not unambiguously evil.

I can't help but feel that a perfected version of Beast will work harder to affirm its message by: eliminating any possibility of empathizing with Heroes and sticking closer to those three tenets above.

I mean, just add a mechanic about making important forum posts and you'll have the rpg form of many of our own subforums. Beast is all about missed opportunities.

Well... No. A game like that exists, it's just less literal about it's themes, it's called Promethean. The problem is that no matter what you're doing you're demonizing real actual people. And if your goal is that "You should never sympathize with them in any way" then you've already failed. A game that explores the themes of othering and the toxic effect that creates in a society is good. A game that has "CIS-MALES HATE THE LGBT COMMUNITY" Scrawled on it's cover is doomed to failure from the start.

Every good or Redeemable theme in Beast is already explored in one of the other CofD games, and is usually done better besides. The only unique thing Beast has to itself is the idea of a Monster who knows it's a monster, and chose to be a monster. A Game where you are unambiguously the bad guy, even if you try to work your powers towards laudable ends, would be fun. But such a game would need to divorce itself severely from it's ties to LGBTs and Others. Because when you're sustaining yourself off the suffering of children then people have a right to hate you.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

System Mastery, an RPG podcast by fellow goons theironjef and grnegsnspm is celebrating White 'Ween, in which they spend the whole month reviewing WW/OPP RPGs. The first entry is Promethean (1e).

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Bedlamdan posted:

I'm mostly sure this post was satire, but not 100% sure.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion preview: Relics!

quote:

Amulet of Resurrection (••)
Purview(s): Death; Calling: Liminal; Primary Skill: Occult
Motif: Death is not the end of purpose.
Enhancement: 2

Osiris fashions these golden amulets in the shape of the djed pillar, a symbol representing stability and the spine of the afterlife god himself. A Scion who knows the right ritual can place the amulet upon a mummified corpse and perform the spell, allowing the mummy to regain the use of its spine for a short while and do the godling's bidding.

Knack: A Scion can use one of these amulets to animate a properly mummified corpse as a complex action rolled with Reason + Occult at difficulty 2, with an interval of one round and a goal of eight successes. If successful, the Scion temporarily gains the Mummy Follower (see p. XX) at one dot per corpse animated for the scene, to a maximum of five dots.

iGjallar (••)
Purview(s): Sky; Calling: Liminal; Primary Skill: Persuasion
Motif: A voice heard everywhere.
Enhancement: 3

The great sounding horn of Heimdall is the Gjallarhorn, a clarion with a blast audible in all worlds that summons gods and signals doom. Prophecy holds that when Ragnarok comes, the Gjallarhorn will herald its beginning. The iGjallar is the modern Scion's tribute to the mighty call of the Æsir's hawk-eyed sentinel: a smartphone with a direct uplink to the Overworld. It requires no service contract or battery and can communicate across boundaries between realms, including from the World to almost any Terra Incognita and vice versa.

Knack: In addition to all the functions of a normal smartphone, the iGjallar has crystal clear reception no matter where the Scion goes and never loses signal except when brought to realms that have no connection to the Overworld or other locations sacred to the character's divine benefactor. With it, the Scion can call anywhere as long as there's a phone or similar device on the other end to receive it.

Irish Muscle Car (••••)
Purview(s): Journeys, War; Calling: Warrior; Primary Skill: Pilot
Motif: The road is my battlefield.
Enhancement: 2

The chariot is the traditional conveyance of battle for the Tuatha Dé Danann, favored by the Morrígan. A sturdy chariot pulled by noble steeds and bristling with weaponry could make a simple drive-by deadly in the hands of a skilled charioteer. Modern Scions prefer to pay homage to this tradition with a different kind of horsepower. The Irish muscle car is usually a Mustang or Charger, tricked out with gadgets, guns, hidden blades, and more to make chases a dicey prospect for a hero's enemies. Souped-up engines that roar like lions and stylish paint jobs are practically required — no stealthy spy vehicles receive Badb's blessing.

Knack: This vehicle constitutes a road hazard for any other vehicle involved in a chase or race (see p. XX). Once per scene, the driver of the Irish muscle car may gain one Momentum whenever the driver of another vehicle spends any.

Flaw: Reduce the car's Cruising and Top Speeds by one at the end of any scene in which it was used in a chase or race without its driver or another occupant fulfilling his Prowess Virtue. Restore these traits to full value as soon as Prowess is fulfilled this way. Other similar Virtues may substitute at the Storyguide's discretion.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Crasical posted:

I'm mostly sure this post was satire, but not 100% sure.

Eh probably but the F&F thread has been hit with people trying to defend/fix beast so I can't even tell anymore.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kurieg posted:

Every good or Redeemable theme in Beast is already explored in one of the other CofD games, and is usually done better besides. The only unique thing Beast has to itself is the idea of a Monster who knows it's a monster, and chose to be a monster. A Game where you are unambiguously the bad guy, even if you try to work your powers towards laudable ends, would be fun. But such a game would need to divorce itself severely from it's ties to LGBTs and Others. Because when you're sustaining yourself off the suffering of children then people have a right to hate you.

That game sort of exists and is called Better Angels, which is about people who get possessed by demons and have to find ways to placate their demon's appetite for evil by performing supervillainous theatrics instead of committing acts of actual evil, like taking over a pharmaceutical company and raising the price of lifesaving medicine by 500%.

Kurieg posted:

Eh probably but the F&F thread has been hit with people trying to defend/fix beast so I can't even tell anymore.

Bedlamdan has ironically or "ironically" made a posting gimmick out of going to bat for Beast for a while now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ahh, well then, let's drown him out with terrible loving art

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm kind of disappointed by the reaction to the literal magical iphone Scion preview.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm kind of disappointed by the reaction to the literal magical iphone Scion preview.

It's pretty uninteresting. It feels like pretty standard urban fantasy stuff.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Holy poo poo, that ratkin photomanipulation really doesn't work. Just in general, the idea of using pictures of actual LARPers really doesn't seem suited to the game about everybody being a violent shapeshifter. Is there a Corax splash?

In the background of this one, though, I kind of like the weird industrial cathedral look to the factory. If you're gonna be a stylistically exaggerated setting, go all out.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

I Am Just a Box posted:

In the background of this one, though, I kind of like the weird industrial cathedral look to the factory. If you're gonna be a stylistically exaggerated setting, go all out.

Okay but the real question is what is going on with that outfit?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I like how she's the only one there. Couldn't spring for a picket line to make the scene work, huh Groins-blood?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

She's an early 90s stereotype, it's only fair she dress like one.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I Am Just a Box posted:

Holy poo poo, that ratkin photomanipulation really doesn't work. Just in general, the idea of using pictures of actual LARPers really doesn't seem suited to the game about everybody being a violent shapeshifter. Is there a Corax splash?

Werewolf now officially takes place in the 40k universe.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

I've seen people dress like that intentionally lately. That's probably the best least strange picture out of all of them so far.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Can I get a refresher on why Scion 1e was so terrible?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Xelkelvos posted:

Can I get a refresher on why Scion 1e was so terrible?

It was often intensely racist and disrespectful to the cultures it drew on - the Aesir Jotunblut power and...just about everything about the Aztecs, say. Also often intensely sexist - almost every goddess had 'and also, a prostitute' as part of their description.

Further, the mechanics simply didn't work. Epic Dexterity in particular rendered you essentially invulnerable unless facing someone with similar investments.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mechanically Epic Attributes broke everything and Purviews were often disappointing.

The tick-based combat was an interesting idea that translated poorly into actual play.

There was no actual setting other than "Gods and Titans are duking it out, you are part of that, here are some set-pieces".

Way too much book space spent talking about the signature characters and their nemesi.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Nemeses.

I played in what ended up being a one-shot of Scion. Epic Dex was hilariously busted to the point of "how did this make it past a first reading?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion update: almost 251k. Story #7 in the anthology is achieved.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

Nemeses.

I played in what ended up being a one-shot of Scion. Epic Dex was hilariously busted to the point of "how did this make it past a first reading?"

Epic Dex and Arete Dodge/weaponry is basically "hahahahaah get fuuuucckkeeedd"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So glad that Arete is burned in the fires of Hell along with most of 1e. Now the Greeks get the much more interesting unique power of METAMORPHOSIS, turning themselves and others into random poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mors Rattus posted:

So glad that Arete is burned in the fires of Hell along with most of 1e. Now the Greeks get the much more interesting unique power of METAMORPHOSIS, turning themselves and others into random poo poo.

http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/todays-women-dont-like-it-when-you-come-to-them-as-10933