Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
Oh, cool. The rugby guys are all pretty awesome. And quite a diverse mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I've never seen two typhoon days in a row.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
hey goons stay safe

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

I've never seen two typhoon days in a row.

There was one yay many years back, I think it was a typhoon that decided to loop back for an encore

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

duckfarts posted:

There was one yay many years back, I think it was a typhoon that decided to loop back for an encore

Must have bounced off Hong Kong.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Which year was it that had the typhoon that hit Taiwan three times before it finally decided to gently caress off?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
So, I have a friend who is living in Taiwan with his family for a year. He has been kind enough to invite me to stay with him if I want to visit. His place is in Taipei. He is, however, fairly goony, and doesn't get out much. I read through the first couple of posts of the thread, but I did notice that they're, like, four years old. I suspect not a tremendous amount has changed, but I do have a few questions:

*When is the best time to visit? I was thinking February-Marchish; would that be bad?
*What is the best way to handle currency conversion?
*Do the Taiwanese do distillery tours? Because I loving love me some whiskey.
*Is that "pay one fee for all you can drink" thing still common? See above.
*If I wanted to travel to South Korea for a few days, what would be the best way to do it?
*Is there anything I really shouldn't miss as a tourist?
*He had talked about the train system there being fairly robust; is there some sort of pass you can pick up just to visit different places?
*What are some common things I'm probably going to forget, given this is my first trip to Asia? Already renewing the passport, and it looks like my cell phone will work fine there.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 4, 2016

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

*When is the best time to visit? I was thinking February-Marchish; would that be bad?
That should be fine, just maybe dodge the first week or so of February since that'll be Chinese New Year and ain't poo poo going on. It'll probably be rainy as gently caress too, but that's still infinitely preferable to the hot- and humid-as-poo poo summertime.

quote:

*Do the Taiwanese do distillery tours? Because I loving love me some whiskey.
Whoooo boy are you in luck. Definitely a day trip though.

quote:

*Is that "pay one fee for all you can drink" thing still common? See above.
It's still around. Usually it's just overpriced, watered-down garbage though.

quote:

*Is there anything I really shouldn't miss as a tourist?
In Taipei itself, I'd say Xingtiangong and/or Longshan Temple, Dihua Street, maybe Raohe Night Market, whatever will probably be going on at Huashan 1914 Park, and Taipei Fine Arts Museum/Museum of Contemporary Art/National Palace Museum/Shung Ye Museum of Formosan Aborigines/any combination thereof. A day trip from town, Wulai and Tamsui (riverside, Fisherman's Wharf, Fort San Domingo). I'm sure there's more, but that's the first stuff off the top of my head.

quote:

*He had talked about the train system there being fairly robust; is there some sort of pass you can pick up just to visit different places?
The MRT (subway system) has a few options for one- or multi-day passes, but you'd be just as good buying an Easycard and just going wherever in town. The trains and buses heading elsewhere around the island, I don't know about passes or anything, but they're fairly cheap and fairly frequent regardless. And yeah, the public transportation system is p drat good overall.

quote:

*What are some common things I'm probably going to forget, given this is my first trip to Asia? Already renewing the passport, and it looks like my cell phone will work fine there.
As long as your cellphone has a removable SIM card, you'll be fine for that, and 7-Eleven sells cheap SIMs, although I know a couple of other people in here have more recent experience with that than me.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Actually didn't someone in here do one of those Kavalan distillery tours?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

It's still around. Usually it's just overpriced, watered-down garbage though.

There's some all you can eat Yakiniku and hotpot places that will have all you can drink too (2 hours) and they're great

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Oh true, we should have yakiniku with this visitor dude

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My info is a bit out of date, but usually the all you can drink places had a lovely beer as an option as well.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks all, especially TetsuoTW. Those museums look incredible. And Kavalan is probably the best whiskey I've ever had (my buddy got me a couple of bottles; loving delicious). Does Taiwan have anything like the National Museum of U.S. History, accessible in English? I'd really love to see a Taiwanese take on the history of Taiwan, if that makes sense.

And I am totally down for Goonmeets.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Gonna quote the advice I was given when going there, it was spot on.

Gimme a min

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

[

simplefish posted:

Hi everyone, would value your thoughts on this

Looking to fill 5 days in Taiwan (actually going for 7 but with the first and last days travel/lazy days) with parents in law and grandpa (Club 25-90), going in July (or early August)

So nothing too strenuous, although he is far from housebound and enjoys a decent walk

Looking to be based in Taipei for ease of flying in and out, but I could be convinced to move around the island

Don't want a package tour that'll be 100% in Chinese and try to sell things at us

Ideally avoid hordes of other tourists too, but we aren't looking for 'Real' Taiwan or whatever. It's more of an avoiding excessive queueing with an old man issue.

Admittedly I haven't really looked into this yet, thought I'd ask first and look for myself while responses trickle in, save time.

Any suggestions?

USDA Choice posted:

Go up the Maokong Gondola. It gives cool views of the city and surrounding valley, at the top is a somewhat touristy area with food stalls and some tea shops but I went in the high season last year with my family and the crowds weren't by any means oppressive.

The Taipei 101 is usually a pretty safe bet, there's a Din Tai Fung at the bottom too which usually lives up to the hype for tourists.

Check out the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall or Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall. If you've got a bunch of history buffs in your group you could do both and even the Martyrs' Shrine, but one of those is enough for most people.

Near the shrine is the National Palace Museum. In short, it's where the Nationalists put everything they looted liberated preserved from the Forbidden City when they were leaving mainland China. Lots of jade, calligraphy, and other Chinese history pieces are there.

Be sure to check out at least one night market. Shilin is the biggest one for tourists but Raohe and Huaxi are popular too.

Maybe pop into a temple. Mind you they're pretty much all in active use, but Longshan is close to Huaxi night market while Xingtian is fairly downtown.

You can do some light walking/hiking near the Four Beasts Mountains. There are tons of different routes, they range from easy paved roads to fairly strenuous routes where you basically have to use a rope.

If you want to get out of Taipei, check out Keelung and its night market, or maybe Yeliu Geology Park or Jiufen. Jiufen was Miyazaki's inspiration for the setting of Spirited Away.

Of all those, Jiufen is the most likely to be mobbed by tourists, especially on weekends. The Taipei 101 will certainly involve lines, the length of it depends on day and time though and there might be some disabled shortcut or special waiting area if memory serves correctly. None of them though should really feature people aggressively hawking stuff at you.

If you're willing to get farther afield, take the high speed rail to Kaohsiung and maybe someone can offer some advice on what to hit up there. If you're not willing to spring for the HSR tickets then don't bother as the regular train or intracity bus is probably not the best use of your limited time or the most comfortable way for the elderly to travel.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I"m gonna take this opportunity to promote:

If you're coming to visit, or you are short of something to do of a weekend.... follow this account.

https://twitter.com/CulturalTaiwan/status/783635716177747970

The Ministry of Culture has recently re-started a Twitter account for events and things.
Most of the events are free, and as is completely typical, woefully under advertised.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here

quote:

The Taipei 101 is usually a pretty safe bet, there's a Din Tai Fung at the bottom too which usually lives up to the hype for tourists.

Din Tai Fung is awesome but you'll have an easier time getting a seat at one of the other branches in Taipei - there is one inside the department store a few MRT stops away at Zhongxiao Fuxing and the original one on Xinyi Road. The DTF at Taipei 101 is often overrun with Mainland tourists and you'll be waiting quite a while for a seat.

I also enjoy a restaurant called Kao Chi (高紀) that has great Shanghaiese food and is way less packed than DTF. It has a few branches in touristy areas.

Someone was asking for a "nationalistic" history museum and I think the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial and/or Sun Yat Sen Memorial would be good for that.

Oh, and regarding travel to Korea - there are frequent flights on several airlines between Taoyuan/Incheon airports (cheaper, but less convenient due to the long drives to/from the airports) and Songshan/Gimpo airports (more expensive since they're targeted to business travelers, but quicker ground transportation).

CaptainEO fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 15, 2016

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

This is kinda off topic but this has irrationally bothered me for a while, and as Taiwan is it's homeland maybe someone here can tell me.

Can someone explain to me who actually thinks din tai fung is anything but very overpriced while totally acceptable xiaolongbao? is it just one of those places that's expensive and trendy and that status is what they're actually selling?

I've ended up at din tai fung in 4 different countries a bunch of times for various dinners and everyone's always really "meh" about it. I've only ever heard good things about it online and in top 10 Chinese restaurants in the whole world lists.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Magna Kaser posted:

Can someone explain to me who actually thinks din tai fung is anything but very overpriced while totally acceptable xiaolongbao?

Nope!

They're fine, but they're not loving awesome or anything. I miss this old shop which had xiaolongbao but they had a thicker skin like pork buns and those were loving amazing and the guy's not there anymore and now I'm sad.

I'd suggest going to Mazendo instead.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I can't speak for healthiness/etc but imo almost without exception the best baozi always come from streetside stalls or holes in the wall.

The one exception I can think of is that xiao yang sheng Jian in Shanghai is both a major chain and super good. They're the one thing I miss from Shanghai.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Din tai Fung Shanghai was ok.

The food is pricier but you get to sit in an air conditioned table service restaurant.

Best ones I had was the Hyatt in hangzhou. They make zhejiang food in an old school way and do it right.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the ones in malaysia and thailand are kinda crap

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Dtf xltb are probably the best xltb I've ever had, but xltb are the kinds of things that are usually pretty good even when they're cheap. DTF is hella expensive probably because they use expensive roes and fungi and poo poo, and also hype

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Never eaten there. Never intend to.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Panda let's have beer tonight.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
tbh what USDA said wasn't wrong in any way. DTF will live up to the hype for most tourists, but they serve completely normal food that exists everywhere. you eat there because it is famous, not because it is especially good.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
How's the Tim Ho Wan here? The one in Bangkok is definitely really good.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pirate Radar posted:

I've been to the one in Taichung and wasn't impressed. I tend to agree with this:

Magna Kaser posted:

I can't speak for healthiness/etc but imo almost without exception the best baozi always come from streetside stalls or holes in the wall.

about food in general. With rare exceptions, I enjoy the cheaper places more.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
I have literally never heard anyone say that name before

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pirate Radar posted:

Jesus that's a thing now?

The only dim sum worth ordering there is the BBQ pork bun. And that's only for takeout where you don't need to wait a retarded amount of time.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I like a bit of Timmys, also it isn't stupid overpriced

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
how good is the public transport situation in taroko gorge? i'd prefer not to go with a tour group, but if you go solo is there a way to travel between the different hotspots? like an hourly bus so you could hop off, look at some pretty waterfalls for 50 minutes then continue on the next one?

also how reasonable is it to make a tour on green island by bike? it's only like 15 km around but i have no idea how hilly it is.

peak debt fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 17, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
This isn't exactly Taiwan, but about the airport (TPE).

I'm looking at flights to go from the US to the Philippines and a lot of them have a layover in TPE that's about 80 minutes. The flights are by the same airlines, so are presumably in the same part of the airport. Is this enough time to catch the second flight?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Unless the place floods again, that should be plenty of time.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Pride tomorrow.

Civil Union is in the legislature (afaik).
Potentially the first country in asia to do so (taiwan #1), seems like a good time to go out and support.

https://twitter.com/CulturalTaiwan/status/791951993925279744

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...h_b-aplnews_d-2

url fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 28, 2016

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The Book Barn secret santa is up, come and give random strangers books and then bug your friends in other thread about it:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3797108

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
How's it feel knowing you're all going to get nuked over a twitter dispute?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The sun's out, so pretty good.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Transcript of the phone call:
"TRUMP!" *click*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

You're in trouble too, you think Trump can tell Taiwan from Thailand?