Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

1500quidporsche posted:

This car is slowly growing on me.

Very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Slowly?

I'm growing just looking at it.

Yeah Sentras always give me a chub

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wistful of Dollars posted:

It's a trick of the light, it's actually the size of a Mini Clubman.

Haha 'Mini'

I never tire of that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Nice Sperglord title text.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

1500quidporsche posted:

This car is slowly growing on me.

I had several of those and honestly the 86-88 GXLs are just so much fun to drive. Not as fast as the TII obviously but so tossable and well balanced.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rear suspension is blown the gently caress out on mine including the passive steering bushings so it's a little bit difficult to read the handling, but I'm going to redo the struts and all the bushings in the rear end over winter. Generally when I've forced it to lean on the front it's responded well though which is why I'm pretty optimistic about the whole venture despite most the interior electrics not working.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

1500quidporsche posted:

despite most the interior electrics not working.

:( the reason I sold my TII is because its alarm system kept going off. The horn would also sound at random, which means I could be randomly honking just driving down the street, having to yell to pedestrians "the horn's broken, I'm not honking at you at this crosswalk!"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

:( the reason I sold my TII is because its alarm system kept going off. The horn would also sound at random, which means I could be randomly honking just driving down the street, having to yell to pedestrians "the horn's broken, I'm not honking at you at this crosswalk!"

Why didn't you just unplug the horn? Is it hard to get to on the FC?

I remember my old Subaru used to honk only once in awhile because it had a dicky clockspring, which was always fun when people needed to be honked at to avoid disaster.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

kimbo305 posted:

was this your car

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Octopus Magic posted:

was this your car

Suckin' Dick Bought This Van

Raluek posted:

Nice Sperglord title text.

:tipshat:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Why didn't you just unplug the horn? Is it hard to get to on the FC?

I remember my old Subaru used to honk only once in awhile because it had a dicky clockspring, which was always fun when people needed to be honked at to avoid disaster.

I don't think it was easy, but it was totally doable if I'd wanted to.
I think I just got really over the car when a cop called my number based on my plate registration and told me to come shut my car's alarm right now or I'd get a $300 disturbing the peace ticket.
I'd already paid a shop to resolder part of the dash for that other issue FCs have, so I was ready to cut my losses.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm pretty much going to gut the entire interior of mine over the winter and go over it with a fine tooth comb, I think the alarm on mine went off when we brought it to McTinkerson's place and we couldn't figure out what the hell caused it. Are these things known for pinching a wiring harness or something?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Cold solder joint/cap/relay failures in all ecu/CPU modules.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

Cold solder joint/cap/relay failures in all ecu/CPU modules.

If my '92 Civic had bad caps it seems likely a late-80s RX7 would too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Added another car (and terrible picture) to the fleet today.

:getin:

It's completely loaded, low miles, 6 speed manual, brembos, and a color I like. Needs some front brake pads but otherwise is in awesome shape. It's going to sit though until I can sell my other car and transfer the plate over...aaaaaand I'll probably need to get some winter wheels and tires set up soon.

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

Cage posted:

Unless the snow is higher than 5 or 6 inches. :smug: Whats with the hash marks, its so nice and clean except for those.

Oh, she'll tackle more than 6" of snow just fine..

As for the stripes, it's a relatively restrained amount of vinyl compared to the "summer car".

(tacky but y'know, personal aesthetic preference)

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

GrantC posted:

As for the stripes, it's a relatively restrained amount of vinyl compared to the "summer car".

(tacky but y'know, personal aesthetic preference)

very nice subbie and very nice s2k

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Hawkeyes, besteyes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Larrymer posted:

It's completely loaded, low miles, 6 speed manual, brembos, and a color I like. Needs some front brake pads but otherwise is in awesome shape. It's going to sit though until I can sell my other car and transfer the plate over...aaaaaand I'll probably need to get some winter wheels and tires set up soon.

You've got good taste in cars. Or... at least similar taste to me. The Volvo is something that I'd buy if I wanted to insure another car right now... and the G3x are great cars that can be a lot of fun. Nicely done!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

GrantC posted:

When you find a picture with that much snow let me know.

I kid. I drove a low car though the winter once and it did fine. Fresh snow was easy peasey but watch out for the chucks of ice and snow falling off other cars.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
It's been almost 8 years since I posted my first proper car purchase in this thread, an XR6 Falcon ute (the pictures were on waffleimages so they're broken now). It was great for work purposes, I loved driving it for all those years, but now that I don't need to lug office equipment around I wanted something small and nimble. So far this BRZ has been a perfect fit.

(drat electrical box, would have been a nicer shot without it)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Larrymer posted:

I test drove one before I bought my current car and was impressed with the handling and relative luxury and interior refinement, but it just didn't have quite enough meat under the hood for me.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Seminal Flu posted:

You've got good taste in cars. Or... at least similar taste to me. The Volvo is something that I'd buy if I wanted to insure another car right now... and the G3x are great cars that can be a lot of fun. Nicely done!

Hah, thanks. Volvo was a nice driver but the handling left a lot to be desired. And that good awful turning radius that I never thought would be a big deal until I realized it was worse than a full size truck.

scrubs season six posted:

I test drove one before I bought my current car and was impressed with the handling and relative luxury and interior refinement, but it just didn't have quite enough meat under the hood for me.

What did you get instead?

That's about the only thing I'd wish for, but sadly these things don't respond well to mods from what I can tell. Not sure, might look into supercharging and/or trying to get it to lose some weight if I don't sell it within a year... My track record of sticking with cars hasn't great lately.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Larrymer posted:

Hah, thanks. Volvo was a nice driver but the handling left a lot to be desired. And that good awful turning radius that I never thought would be a big deal until I realized it was worse than a full size truck.

What did you get instead?

That's about the only thing I'd wish for, but sadly these things don't respond well to mods from what I can tell. Not sure, might look into supercharging and/or trying to get it to lose some weight if I don't sell it within a year... My track record of sticking with cars hasn't great lately.

A Shelby GT500. Though was originally just planning on getting a 5.0. A G37S, a C6, and Mustangs were all I looked at IIRC.

I think I do remember looking into it, and a supercharger seemed pretty much the only way to go if you really wanted some significant gains.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 16, 2016

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

vroom vroom

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Ferremit posted:

Man that thing is DESPERATELY in need of a mild lift kit. 2" lift is easy on all your stock suspension components and increases your off-road capability heaps. Old Man Emu make their internal bypass adjustable BP-51 shocks for the 200- they actually wrote two diesel 200 series off by accident testing them- one they jumped a bit too enthusiastically and rolled it end to end... so they took the shocks off and bolted it into ANOTHER 200 series and blasted it across whooptie corrugations (the ones that make your car bounce end to end they're that big) at high speed. And then the doors didn't open because they bent the car... cos all their testing was at full GVM...

Yeah, BP-51s are where we'll go when we build the 200. I could probably get along with sliders first on most trails.

In the meantime, I'm solving some problems, such as what snow tires to get for the V (answer: none) and creating others:

1997 Lexus LX450 FZJ80 with full factory lockers, picked up off of local Craigslist for $2300. It needs a few things but this is still a very, very cheap triple-locked LC.

V is also going in for cam surgery later this month. Cars, why u gotta be so expensive.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Got anything a little smaller, this picture crashes my phone app every single time I try to load it, even with nothing else running.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Tremek posted:

Yeah, BP-51s are where we'll go when we build the 200. I could probably get along with sliders first on most trails.

In the meantime, I'm solving some problems, such as what snow tires to get for the V (answer: none) and creating others:

1997 Lexus LX450 FZJ80 with full factory lockers, picked up off of local Craigslist for $2300. It needs a few things but this is still a very, very cheap triple-locked LC.

V is also going in for cam surgery later this month. Cars, why u gotta be so expensive.

Hahaha, it's hilarious how cheap the FZJ80 is. They are incredibly goddamn capable and are drat nice inside, there really is no other realistic competitor. Just PM your headgasket now. I loved mine.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Terrible Robot posted:

Got anything a little smaller, this picture crashes my phone app every single time I try to load it, even with nothing else running.

yeah didnt realise it was 5k x 3k or whatevs

try now

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

SquirrelGrip posted:

yeah didnt realise it was 5k x 3k or whatevs

try now

Much better :tipshat:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Finally got something interesting again.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Tidy and tiny but is this North Queensland?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

tobu posted:

Tidy and tiny but is this North Queensland?

nah SE QLD, Clontarf? to be semi exact

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

SquirrelGrip posted:

nah SE QLD, Clontarf? to be semi exact

Have you joined the Brisbane MR2 groups yet?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Chiwie posted:

Have you joined the Brisbane MR2 groups yet?

i know about the mr2aus forums and went to the bi-annual nationals weekend when it was in qld, outside of that nope

the nationals kinda soured the whole thing for me tbqh, aint rushin out to hang with that crew again

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tremek posted:

Wow, that is really cheap.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CharlesM posted:

Wow, that is really cheap.

Yeah, for sure. I thought "whoa, I didn't know those got cheap" and looked at Craigslist. $6k-35k.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Same, even though I have no need for an off road ride, I went straight to see what was up, 15k at least, although there's an armored 470 for 50 as well :D

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

SquirrelGrip posted:

i know about the mr2aus forums and went to the bi-annual nationals weekend when it was in qld, outside of that nope

the nationals kinda soured the whole thing for me tbqh, aint rushin out to hang with that crew again

There are a couple of invite only ones, shoot me a PM if you want to join.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I look for 90's era Land Cruisers and LX450s pretty regularly. There are always ones that pop up cheap, but they usually dont stay posted for more than a few days. One of those searches where if that's really what you want, you have to look constantly and be prepared to move.